IGNORED

Fam always wanted to stay

CyderInACan

8 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Love Fam, he's been a great player/top bloke for us during most of his stay, but as others have said he put precisely zero effort in during his last months. 

I'd also say it's a bit unprofessional to discuss contract details on Twitter, no matter how pissed off you are

Ashton started it when he blabbed to Sky.

He was very happy to break his “commercial sensitivity” principle when it showed him in a good light.

39 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Even Joe "one of our own" Bryan was guilty of that. Yet that seems too inconvenient for some to acknowledge. 

I find the constant love-in for Bryan whenever he does anything for Fulham so strange. Yes, he had some incredible moments that will stay with me for a very long time, but as you say he (and Reid, and others...) checked out from the club too early and hindered that season's run in. The blame lies with Lee Johnson, but those players deciding they weren't going to be at the club the following season was certainly a factor. Add to that the fact he didn't ever say goodbye to the fanbase (seem to remember it was "too difficult to put into words" but may have missed a later one) and his comments about the criticism he got from our fans and it seems like he's glad to be gone. That's fine, but the continued fawning for him seems a bit... tinpot?

Anyway, it's not on topic and I'm sure I'll get pelters for saying it, but once a player leaves I couldn't care less about them (with one or two exceptions). Fair play to academy prospects for making the grade in the Prem, but I don't get the obsession once they leave the club, or am I just bitter?

2 minutes ago, KegCity said:

I find the constant love-in for Bryan whenever he does anything for Fulham so strange. Yes, he had some incredible moments that will stay with me for a very long time, but as you say he (and Reid, and others...) checked out from the club too early and hindered that season's run in. The blame lies with Lee Johnson, but those players deciding they weren't going to be at the club the following season was certainly a factor. Add to that the fact he didn't ever say goodbye to the fanbase (seem to remember it was "too difficult to put into words" but may have missed a later one) and his comments about the criticism he got from our fans and it seems like he's glad to be gone. That's fine, but the continued fawning for him seems a bit... tinpot?

Anyway, it's not on topic and I'm sure I'll get pelters for saying it, but once a player leaves I couldn't care less about them (with one or two exceptions). Fair play to academy prospects for making the grade in the Prem, but I don't get the obsession once they leave the club, or am I just bitter?

I quite like following the careers of our ex academy players, especially the Bristolians. It’s a kind of paternal thing I guess.

The one’s that come and go, unless they were real heroes in their time here, I’m not so bothered 

Ipswich forum (was just being a bit nosey) have genuinely got a thread up stating “I guess we can tick Diedhiou off the list” due to his comments.....now i know we have a fair few deluded fans, but **** me, these guys seem on another planet since they have got Ashton ?

Been a decent servant over the past few years. But it's the right time to part ways. 

I think he had his head turned it January. He put in one decent performance during the second half of the season, and that was against Middlesbrough (strongly linked). 

Time to look to bring in new players, looking to bust a gut to prove themselves in the championship. I'd like to see a quick striker arrive anyway. 

Lovely guy and seemed to have a genuine affection for the club. No hard feelings. 

My thoughts:

1. Was Fam offered “one of the best contracts” ever?

Possible.

2. Did Fam put in 100% every game?

Didn’t look like it.

3. Did NP ever seem like he wanted to keep him?

No.

I’m with the club on this one and it’s no great loss IMHO. But....

Thanks Fam and all the best.

4 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Could it be the case that Ashton hasn't been "bending the truth", but has simply been outright lying to us?

Fam's comments also suggest that the players may not think much of Ashton. Could this be why we've struggled to sort a deal with Walsh (and others)?

I'm a bit shocked by just how comical/farcical some of the stuff now coming out about Ashton is. Surely, as Mark Ashton's direct superior, huge questions have to be asked about Jon Lansdown following all this?

Honest Ashton telling porkie pies, I don't believe it, he seems such a nice honest sort of guy, who always had the best interests of the supporters and club at heart.

Just now, cityloyal473 said:

I have an inkling Fam realises he may have overplayed his hand.

He probably has in the current climate. But I don't doubt that the club's (Ashton's) outpourings on the subject were at the very least embellished. 

1 hour ago, Mr Hankey said:

Ipswich forum (was just being a bit nosey) have genuinely got a thread up stating “I guess we can tick Diedhiou off the list” due to his comments.....now i know we have a fair few deluded fans, but **** me, these guys seem on another planet since they have got Ashton ?

TWTD has been comedy gold the last month or so, I think they see themselves as the next Man City

7 minutes ago, SBB said:

Give it 5-10 years and we’ll hear all about what went on behind the scenes this season, on a podcast somewhere. 

And in previous seasons through Lee Johnson's promised autobiography.

Although nobody will be able to understand it. ??

Just now, Superjack said:

And in previous seasons through Lee Johnson's promised autobiography.

Although nobody will be able to understand it. ??

Apparently it will be translated into several languages - including English.

And as a special favour to @Fordy62 there will be an audio book read by the man himself - just the Christmas present for the WMP officer in your life.

It's totally possible to want to stay, and simultaneously have been told you're not staying - for whatever reason - and therefore not play your heart out. All of those things can coexist.

Personally, I think he's been great for us. First man for years to get to 50 for the club. An absolute gent, and he's scored some bangers.

3 hours ago, real_bristol said:

My thoughts:

1. Was Fam offered “one of the best contracts” ever?

Possible.

2. Did Fam put in 100% every game?

Didn’t look like it.

3. Did NP ever seem like he wanted to keep him?

No.

I’m with the club on this one and it’s no great loss IMHO. But....

Thanks Fam and all the best.

It's no great loss in your opinion and on the pitch you're probably right.

Financially speaking, signing an asset for £5.4 million just to let another club (potentially a rival) sign him for nothing 4 years later, it's an absolute whopper.

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Apparently it will be translated into several languages - including English.

And as a special favour to @Fordy62 there will be an audio book read by the man himself - just the Christmas present for the WMP officer in your life.

Oh god. Can you imagine?!

Archived