IGNORED

Forum Update

Silvio Dante

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Having the same bug as Davefevs on my phone, using Samsung's browser. Not tried on my PC but guessing it's across all platforms

Its something to do when you first log on, i've just come in office and its doing it again and its like when I first logged on at home earlier.. then it seems to fix itself. Odd one for sure. 

18 minutes ago, TomF said:

Its something to do when you first log on, i've just come in office and its doing it again and its like when I first logged on at home earlier.. then it seems to fix itself. Odd one for sure. 

So is it a case of log out and log back in?

On my phone and computer I don't sign out, but I suppose it's seeing that as my first log in.

• Admin
3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

So is it a case of log out and log back in?

On my phone and computer I don't sign out, but I suppose it's seeing that as my first log in.

I updated mine last night, came back online this morning and it's reset again (without logging back in)

Not a fan of these social media type reward schemes. It cajoles the user into a state of mind where quality of contribution becomes less important (and less a motivating factor) than quantity and regularity.

Like mice in a maze being prompted to press a button to receive a piece of cheese competition, with others and oneself, in order to improve one's standing, often becomes the dominant force.

So I can't see how this will improve the forum and serve the member base in any constructive way.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Looks to be sorted for me on my phone now.

Clicking title of a thread takes me to first unread.

nope, gone back to how it was, and even clicking log out takes me to the main page while still logged in.

4 minutes ago, OneCity said:

Not a fan of these social media type reward schemes. It cajoles the user into a state of mind where quality of contribution becomes less important (and less a motivating factor) than quantity and regularity.

Like mice in a maze being prompted to press a button to receive a piece of cheese competition, with others and oneself, in order to improve one's standing, often becomes the dominant force.

So I can't see how this will improve the forum and serve the member base in any constructive way.

If this forum wasn't so active I might agree, but the vast majority of active posters on here have already contributed way more than enough to meet all the 'badges', and will quickly get all the 'ranks' within a few weeks. For 90+% of people it will be as you were in a months time.

1 hour ago, OneCity said:

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

nope, gone back to how it was, and even clicking log out takes me to the main page while still logged in.

If this forum wasn't so active I might agree, but the vast majority of active posters on here have already contributed way more than enough to meet all the 'badges', and will quickly get all the 'ranks' within a few weeks. For 90+% of people it will be as you were in a months time.

I didn't even realise there was a rating system of sorts on the previous board until about a year ago!!

The quality of posts won't suffer that much, at the moment it's all "new and shiny" and people are having a bit of a laugh about being newbies after 10+ years of being active!!

As @JamesBCFC says, within a few weeks it will all be normal. Pretty sure that anybody who posts multiple posts in a short time (e.g. getting their post count up) is warned/kicked off anyway (as well as being a sad pathetic troll).

20 minutes ago, Taz said:

I didn't even realise there was a rating system of sorts on the previous board until about a year ago!!

The quality of posts won't suffer that much, at the moment it's all "new and shiny" and people are having a bit of a laugh about being newbies after 10+ years of being active!!

As @JamesBCFC says, within a few weeks it will all be normal. Pretty sure that anybody who posts multiple posts in a short time (e.g. getting their post count up) is warned/kicked off anyway (as well as being a sad pathetic troll).

Well I’ve moved from level 2 (Rookie) to level 7 (Collaborator) in about 12 hours.

So I fully expect to be in charge by tomorrow.

Then look out. ?

I was still having trouble going directly to the first unread post on my phone.

Logging out didn't help either.

I just tried telling my browser (Safari) to "request desktop website" (press the "aA" that appears in the address bar) and that seems to have done the trick.

Worth trying if anybody else is having issues.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Ignore thread option seems to have gone too.

I've tried disabling a few add ons to see if they are the root of the cause.

Still no luck for me unfortunately, always taking me to the first post.

Worse still, Account Settings won't load for me now, just takes me back to the homepage with the list of forums. So I can't tell if the option has gone back to what it was, or if it's activated but not working.

Not the end of the world of course, just a heads up.

49 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I don't have the aA in my address bar!

Odd, I've no idea why you wouldn't have it.

I wouldn't worry though, my ability to go to first unread post is no longer working so the request desktop website thing was probably just a coincidence.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Don't know why but, I've been congratulated a few times in recent minutes for increasing my Ranking on OTIB. Anyone else having the same plaudits lovingly dished out?

I guess we all have Rich. Obviously, your promotions are most deserved. ;)

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I guess we all have Rich. Obviously, your promotions are most deserved. ;)

Indubitably. Just came all of a sudden and I didn't have a speech sorted out.

Just now, Reigate Red said:

Are you sure that is what it said ;)

Yes, my doctor warned me about the other, especially while in the waiting room.

7 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

Odd, I've no idea why you wouldn't have it.

I wouldn't worry though, my ability to go to first unread post is no longer working so the request desktop website thing was probably just a coincidence.

Yep, not worked for me either.

Archived