IGNORED

Forum Update

Silvio Dante

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

Hmm - sadly, the general weirdness with going to the first page of a thread and other oddities seems to have resumed.

Yeah service worker started up again and started doing odd caching. I've tried ticking the 'Bypass for Network' option now to see if that helps.

@TomF is it possible to disable the PWA feature?

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

Can someone translate this into English please

You click on the doobery-bob, then the watsamacallit, followed by the flippededoodah-ma-jig and then change the chicken.

Do all that and Bob's your Grandma.

13 hours ago, Dogbert said:

Tom - I was inspecting the network traffic and noticed that the wrong redirect is being cached by a service worker so I unregistered it and seems to be all fine for me now. Not sure if there is a way to reset that for everyone maybe? I'm not that familiar with service workers.

For anyone wanting to try it if you are on a desktop browser, right click on this page, select 'Inspect'. Click on 'Application' tab, choose 'Service Workers' on the left hand side and then click the 'Unregister' link.

otib.png

Interesting!  That SW is for pop up notifications I think, I wonder if something is going wrong and then thats causing it to stop working each time. 

On a side note Reach Media (dailly mirror/bristol post) seem to love these damned things, just cleared out about 3000 of them registered on my browser.

It's defo related to the push notifications I think because there is an error creating the key. I wonder if you turn off all notifications if it behaves permanently. 

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This morning I’ve tried to go to “account settings” twice and successfully got to the content settings both times.

No idea if anything changed.

Interesting situation. From the main menu I can’t access account settings as I just get straight taken back to the main menu (using an iPhone). However, I’ve saved a link in my favourites to the account settings and this works. After selecting the correct setting everything worked. Will it continue working the next time I use the forum?  I’ll let you know. Can you stand the suspense? 

58 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Interesting situation. From the main menu I can’t access account settings as I just get straight taken back to the main menu (using an iPhone). However, I’ve saved a link in my favourites to the account settings and this works. After selecting the correct setting everything worked. Will it continue working the next time I use the forum?  I’ll let you know. Can you stand the suspense? 

Here’s the answer you’ve all been waiting for. It doesn’t work and I can’t get to account settings using an iPhone 

It seems to be each time I come back to the website it forgets my settings and takes me to page 1 of the first thread I click on. The 2nd thread I read it takes me to the last unread post which is what I’ve set in the settings to do for me. 

Sorry to be a pain - if I click on a notification it takes me to the first post on that thread, nowhere near my post or the replies to my post etc - very frustrating, especially on the ‘Rovers’ thread - I get a notification, click on it and it takes me back to 2015 and page 1 of 2,500 ... oh well 

11 hours ago, TomF said:

It's defo related to the push notifications I think because there is an error creating the key. I wonder if you turn off all notifications if it behaves permanently. 

I was reading the Invision stuff here https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/web-push-notifications-native-sharing-offline-support-r1222/

It is the offline support bit of the service worker that is causing the issue. Basically every click is intercepted by the SW and dealt with in various ways, looking at the code here it is the cachebust section that seems to cause an issue - it somehow loses the /page/xx/ section of the URL.

Is there any way of switching offline support off in this version? 

10 hours ago, Dogbert said:

I was reading the Invision stuff here https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/web-push-notifications-native-sharing-offline-support-r1222/

It is the offline support bit of the service worker that is causing the issue. Basically every click is intercepted by the SW and dealt with in various ways, looking at the code here it is the cachebust section that seems to cause an issue - it somehow loses the /page/xx/ section of the URL.

Is there any way of switching offline support off in this version? 

It would tie in with my suspicions as this was a 'new' feature. I have literally rinsed the admin CP and cannot find an option to disable it. 

4 hours ago, TomF said:

It would tie in with my suspicions as this was a 'new' feature. I have literally rinsed the admin CP and cannot find an option to disable it. 

Reading into the code it seems to me that the problem mainly should manifest in the 2 minutes after logging in or receiving a notification. There are settings of HTTP_CACHE_DURATION and HTTP_CACHE_BUFFER which are both set to 60 seconds. Are they anywhere in the Admin CP? If so could you set them to 0?

3 hours ago, Dogbert said:

Reading into the code it seems to me that the problem mainly should manifest in the 2 minutes after logging in or receiving a notification. There are settings of HTTP_CACHE_DURATION and HTTP_CACHE_BUFFER which are both set to 60 seconds. Are they anywhere in the Admin CP? If so could you set them to 0?

What he said!

i spoke too soon last night Tone, it was all back to normal and a lot quicker,its going to first page quite frequently tonight and slowed down again

25 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Still having a few problems but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason as to when it happens.

9 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

i spoke too soon last night Tone, it was all back to normal and a lot quicker,its going to first page quite frequently tonight and slowed down again

That's good, I thought it was just me.

4 hours ago, BigTone said:

'It's going to first page quite frequently tonight and slowed down again'.

That's good, I thought it was just me.

Well, it's not really good, is it ?, but I know what you mean.

It isn't only you, by the way: mine is fine on my mobile phone, but goes to the first page on the computer.

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Well, it's not really good, is it ?, but I know what you mean.

It isn't only you, by the way: mine is fine on my mobile phone, but goes to the first page on the computer.

mine is cream crackered on both.  I blame Macron !!

3 hours ago, BigTone said:

mine is cream crackered on both.  I blame Macron !!

Like many in France, I blame Macron for most things (it used to be Hollande, but then I sort of started feeling sorry for the poor chap - that pathetic photo of the pathetic man on his little scooter en route to see his girlfriend just cracked me up and left me bereft of any strength to criticise him).

A propos 'cream crackers', did you know that you can buy McVities Digestive biscuits in standard French supermarkets?

50 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Like many in France, I blame Macron for most things (it used to be Hollande, but then I sort of started feeling sorry for the poor chap - that pathetic photo of the pathetic man on his little scooter en route to see his girlfriend just cracked me up and left me bereft of any strength to criticise him).

A propos 'cream crackers', did you know that you can buy McVities Digestive biscuits in standard French supermarkets?

I did, indeedly doodly. And marmite.

Archived