IGNORED

Interesting article on wages.

1960maaan

I've seen rumours of how wages will be hit post COVID, how new contract offers will be lower. It will take time for income to get to the pre-pandemic levels, if they ever do. TV could be changing as some platforms lose interest, less runners less bidding war lower income? People may not return, or go as often, some are not able to. It could be a very different landscape in the (short term) future. Clubs will hesitate to spend big, and I'm talking non Prem here, wages will drop short term. That could impact on players moving, players choosing short contracts at clubs they may not have chosen previously. I think it will be n interesting summer, hopefully we are in a good position to take advantage.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/why-player-wages-have-halved-as-portsmouth-and-football-adjust-to-post-covid-financial-challenges-3241536

This is really positive, the market is what it is, but its unpalatable to know the levels our highest earners are on, compared to the fanbase around them,, not just just for us but for every club. Of course there will be some who signed their contract just before covid hit who are protected; and they will be knowing that they are earning disproportionately more than the new signings, and when their contract does expire that the gravy train will be over.

people like fam look like they are going to be affected by this going on, he needs this contract to be huge but hes in the market at just the wrong time.

My feeling is that it could be a nightmare recruiting during the transfer windows.

It's a transition period, and imo, agents and players will leave it until the very last minute hoping for clubs to panic and increase terms. 

I really do think football should get rid of transfer windows. It doesn't encourage planning and running a club with due diligence.

We have FFP, we have loan restrictions and with Brexit, further restrictions on visas for foreign players.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I've seen rumours of how wages will be hit post COVID, how new contract offers will be lower. It will take time for income to get to the pre-pandemic levels, if they ever do. TV could be changing as some platforms lose interest, less runners less bidding war lower income? People may not return, or go as often, some are not able to. It could be a very different landscape in the (short term) future. Clubs will hesitate to spend big, and I'm talking non Prem here, wages will drop short term. That could impact on players moving, players choosing short contracts at clubs they may not have chosen previously. I think it will be n interesting summer, hopefully we are in a good position to take advantage.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/why-player-wages-have-halved-as-portsmouth-and-football-adjust-to-post-covid-financial-challenges-3241536

Worth noting that the TV deal has been rolled over, so there is no change there, no additional money is being paid by the broadcasters.

Heartbreaking to think that very average players won’t be able to demand the crazy wages that seem to have become the norm in the Championship, even better that their agents will not wield the power they have in turning a player’s head for their own gain.

4 minutes ago, Peter1450 said:

Heartbreaking to think that very average players won’t be able to demand the crazy wages that seem to have become the norm in the Championship, even better that their agents will not wield the power they have in turning a player’s head for their own gain.

For this transfer window.

There has probably never been a worse time to be out of contract.

Give it a few windows and I reckon things will be back to normal.

16 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Worth noting that the TV deal has been rolled over, so there is no change there, no additional money is being paid by the broadcasters.

I sure I read that some of the smaller bidders have lost interest. That may mean less competition and so less money in the future. Then again there was talk of the football League doing their own Netflix type set up, which could be good as punters would only have to pay for one platform. It would also mean all profits to football.

8 minutes ago, Peter1450 said:

That's the one I really hope this thing hits hardest, the Agents. They work for the players and yet get paid by clubs. It's been touted a few times that players should pay as the agent is working for them and in their interest. You'd see fees drop like a stone then.

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Depends how long it takes to get back to "normality". 

19 minutes ago, spudski said:

My feeling is that it could be a nightmare recruiting during the transfer windows.

It's a transition period, and imo, agents and players will leave it until the very last minute hoping for clubs to panic and increase terms. 

I really do think football should get rid of transfer windows. It doesn't encourage planning and running a club with due diligence.

We have FFP, we have loan restrictions and with Brexit, further restrictions on visas for foreign players.

Yes, that’s a good point about the potential to have players hanging on. I must admit I’d assumed the opposite: that there’d be so many players on the market that individuals would be happy just to get a deal sewn up. But you may be right.

I guess it will be driven partly by retained lists being issued over the coming days. If lots of clubs, like us, release a large number with the apparent intention of replacing only half that number, maybe that will make players and agents think twice about hanging on?

Not so sure about the transfer window issue though. The previous system, where clubs could plan badly but get away with it by going out and splashing silly money on a player in March just to keep them up wasn’t much better! 

41 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Yes, that’s a good point about the potential to have players hanging on. I must admit I’d assumed the opposite: that there’d be so many players on the market that individuals would be happy just to get a deal sewn up. But you may be right.

I guess it will be driven partly by retained lists being issued over the coming days. If lots of clubs, like us, release a large number with the apparent intention of replacing only half that number, maybe that will make players and agents think twice about hanging on?

Not so sure about the transfer window issue though. The previous system, where clubs could plan badly but get away with it by going out and splashing silly money on a player in March just to keep them up wasn’t much better! 

With FFP, loan restrictions, player owned reduction and the Brexit issue, imo, those restrictions would negate clubs splashing regardless, because they can't as they don't have the freedom to do so as much.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

players should pay as the agent is working for them and in their interest.

It makes no difference if the club or the player pay the agent.

The player would just demand, on the advice of his agent, a supplement in his negotiations.

It still comes out of the club’s funds.

I do feel that agents take too much money out of the game and should be better regulated .

I was told Baker was on £18 grand a week and that quite a few at the club thought he might be offered a new contract because of performances in the last few games of the season. He was bombed out because of his injury record?

4 hours ago, spudski said:

I don't agree that a transfer window doesn't encourage planning.   Surely that's precisely what it does demand since there are only a couple of opportunities to bolster your squad or offload players.  

The old system didn't work, with players moving right up the the last period of a season.  Totally undermining a promotion push or a fight against relegation.   Players unsettled throughout as they could leave at any time. 

What's screwed things up has been the change in the loans to make those only available in the transfer window.   This has meant clubs have had to keep bloated squads just in case they need cover and too many squad players not even making the bench.  

5 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

This is really positive, the market is what it is, but its unpalatable to know the levels our highest earners are on, compared to the fanbase around them,, not just just for us but for every club. Of course there will be some who signed their contract just before covid hit who are protected; and they will be knowing that they are earning disproportionately more than the new signings, and when their contract does expire that the gravy train will be over.

people like fam look like they are going to be affected by this going on, he needs this contract to be huge but hes in the market at just the wrong time.

That Gravy train maybe in the  "Shunting" yard at the moment...............but you can most definitely  guarantee,    that after a while,    the Gravy Train will be back on track, and going full speed ahead..............with those ~"wonderful "  football agents acting as Driver, Guard and Buffet Staff ?  ?                              

I can see things at our level moving towards what it's like in Rugby Union. Transfer fees a rarity only really being paid for the top level players. This will mean shorter contracts as clubs won't be 'protecting their investment' and will concentrate more on the player's use as a footballer for the duration of his contract.  

Players will have to adapt and come to understand that the downing of tools that we saw by many will lead to them being less attractive as a signing.

Maybe the culture will change so there is more professional pride and less cynicism. Less dependence on con artists for agents. 

Or perhaps I'm just being naive?

50 minutes ago, swanker said:

I was told Baker was on £18 grand a week and that quite a few at the club thought he might be offered a new contract because of performances in the last few games of the season. He was bombed out because of his injury record?

Well they didn't know what they were talking about!  Pearson isn't a mug

4 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I wonder if we’ll see a lot more 1 year contracts. 
Same thing happened in the NFL this year. The free agency period saw lots of players only signing 1 year deals on lower terms that they’d usually have expected, and would be happy to revisit free agency again next year. 

47 minutes ago, Harry said:

Same thing happened in the NFL this year. The free agency period saw lots of players only signing 1 year deals on lower terms that they’d usually have expected, and would be happy to revisit free agency again next year. 

I think we will have a few one year deals this year as our recruitment is behind - players that NP has already worked with. I think this window is going to be tough and we have to accept a few older pros will be incoming that might not necessarily be what we were expecting 

1 hour ago, Red Skin said:

I don't agree that a transfer window doesn't encourage planning.   Surely that's precisely what it does demand since there are only a couple of opportunities to bolster your squad or offload players.  

The old system didn't work, with players moving right up the the last period of a season.  Totally undermining a promotion push or a fight against relegation.   Players unsettled throughout as they could leave at any time. 

What's screwed things up has been the change in the loans to make those only available in the transfer window.   This has meant clubs have had to keep bloated squads just in case they need cover and too many squad players not even making the bench.  

But that generally doesn't happen. How many transfers are done in panic at the end of a transfer window? Many...Then it's just a mad rush to often replace what you've lost...and with an inflated price.

The system we have right now doesn't work. It's a lottery.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

But that generally doesn't happen. How many transfers are done in panic at the end of a transfer window?

That's true, but isn't that why you need to plan more and have other targets lined up.

The summer before we got promoted we did make the signings early and that worked out.  We sold Lloyd Kelly early in the window which freed up funds. 

It might need reform but the old system was worse.  Ib the past I've suggested staged closing of the window.   Prem window closes for permanent signings and loans and 25 man squad announced week 1. Championship week later etc down the leagues.  That way it frees up the flow of money down the leagues. 

Probably not workable due to international context to everything though.

34 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

That's true, but isn't that why you need to plan more and have other targets lined up.

The summer before we got promoted we did make the signings early and that worked out.  We sold Lloyd Kelly early in the window which freed up funds. 

It might need reform but the old system was worse.  Ib the past I've suggested staged closing of the window.   Prem window closes for permanent signings and loans and 25 man squad announced week 1. Championship week later etc down the leagues.  That way it frees up the flow of money down the leagues. 

But its not usually the buying club causing the panic, it's usually another club that's "interested" in a player causing a player to wait that's the issue.

Its basically a massive game of poker and top prem teams get to pick the cards, everyone else lays them in order, you can obviously plan for a game of poker but not sure you can plan a game of poker

1 hour ago, Red Skin said:

My point, was you can plan all you like, but if a team comes in on the 11th hour and offers a silly amount of money for one of your main players, and triggers a release clause, it leaves you completely stuffed.

Webster was sold and we planned and built a team around him according to LJ. 

It left us screwed and we had to re plan in no time.

Imo...allow transfers but bring in bigger restrictions.

34 minutes ago, spudski said:

My point, was you can plan all you like, but if a team comes in on the 11th hour and offers a silly amount of money for one of your main players, and triggers a release clause, it leaves you completely stuffed.

Webster was sold and we planned and built a team around him according to LJ. 

It left us screwed and we had to re plan in no time.

Imo...allow transfers but bring in bigger restrictions.

Then don't sell so late in the transfer window.  Everyone knew Webster was coveted.  Either sell him at the start of the window like we did with Lloyd or don't sell him.  If he did have a release clause then make it public early to attract more bidders. The transfer window isn't the problem in this instance, the problem was that ***** MA.  

Under the old system we lost Shaun Goater to Man City - in a division soon below if I recall correctly - when we were fighting it out with Watford for promotion.  How does that help planning?  Anyone with more money and a bigger name can cherry pick your players at any time.

You've made your position clear - that the window means you can't plan.  I just don't agree with it.   I think you have to plan more, and if the plan was to build a team around Webster then the whole club need to stick to that plan.  

5 hours ago, Harry said:

I think we will see a mix.  There will be some who would love the security of a long term deal, whereas others who fancy their chances of being OOC when wages go up.

With fees likely to be lower there is less to amortise, which can often drive contract length.

Gonna be an interesting watch.

Think City have done the right things with the youngsters though….majority getting decent length deals..

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think we will see a mix.  There will be some who would love the security of a long term deal, whereas others who fancy their chances of being OOC when wages go up.

With fees likely to be lower there is less to amortise, which can often drive contract length.

Gonna be an interesting watch.

Think City have done the right things with the youngsters though….majority getting decent length deals..

Got to admit so far looking at the retained lists a lot of clubs are keeping more of their players than I expected.

Only us & Wednesday so far have gone for a large number out the door, Forest are rumoured to be doing the same & there appears a bit of a mini exodus under way at Luton.

What we certainly have is a lot of wiggle room on our wage bill, but until we start knowing which markets we are looking at, very little indication of how we will look to fill the gaps.

Giving a lot of promising youngsters new deals is wise but realistically no more than one or two of them are going to be in the squad.

Archived