IGNORED

Another Mark Ashton Thread

DaveInSA

Like we need one....?

Has anyone done any analysis of net-net the value created (or destroyed) that this one man has done to our club?

I literally don't think the man has any concept of risk.

• He literally allowed ELEVEN players to run their contracts down, all at the same time, with absolutely zero mitigation plan in place. In my view, that is gross misconduct and he should have been fired anyway at the end of the season
  • He oversaw a medical and performance team, that in combination with other factors lost 14 players due to hamstring injuries
  • He let major assets leave (Bryan, Reid, Kelly, Webster) without having any pipeline of talent to replace them

He'll take the credit for:

• Building Ashton Gate
  • Building the Robins High Performance Centre
  • Bringing in revenue (from both players and business revenue)

But was that ? benefit down to him?

And I'm wondering on what terms he has left with the Lansdowns - surely big Steve must be fuming.

9 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Like we need one....?

Has anyone done any analysis of net-net the value created (or destroyed) that this one man has done to our club?

• He literally allowed ELEVEN players to run their contracts down, all at the same time, with absolutely zero mitigation plan in place. In my view, that is gross misconduct and he should have been fired anyway at the end of the season
  • He oversaw a medical and performance team, that in combination with other factors lost 14 players due to hamstring injuries
  • He let major assets leave (Bryan, Reid, Kelly, Webster) without having any pipeline of talent to replace them

• Building Ashton Gate

And I'm wondering on what terms he has left with the Lansdowns - surely big Steve must be fuming.

HIs  long time involvement with the American owner of his new employer Ipswich Town, and the recruitment of BCFC staff while still employed by us will also be interesting for the Lansdowns to ponder

Don't think he had very much if at all to do with the stadium build, I think that was Griffiths and Billingham. Can't remember him being present when I attended club/supporters meetings.

Not sure about training ground.

Had far too much say over transfers which is now seemingly, back where it should always have been, with the head coach/manager.

I don’t think he can take any credit for the stadium, it was all but done when he got here in 2016. 
I wrote a while ago that the man was completely unable to convince our big players to sign new contracts and stay. Bryan, Reid, Fam, Walsh, Brownhill (plus Weimann now) all got into minimum last 18 months of their contracts and Flint only signed on with the proviso he was allowed to leave the following summer. 
Good at getting a decent price for the players yes, good at selling Bristol City to them as a place they could achieve their ambitions. No

43 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Like we need one....?

• Building Ashton Gate

So you'd be happier if Hunt, Pato, Baker, etc had brand new 3 year big money deals right now? We should be glad that he didn't offer them contracts and that Fam didn't see fit to sign the one he was offered. We need to offload these players which is going to allow Pearson to re-build the squad (hopefully) for the better.

46 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Like we need one....?

• Building Ashton Gate

Who would you have liked to have stayed? Giving out contracts to these players during a pandemic is closer to gross misconduct than allowing them to leave on frees with the club now around £500k better off per month in wages. 

53 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Like we need one....?

• Building Ashton Gate

Bits in Bold were initiated by Dawe. 

Ergo he gets zero credit in my book. They were not his ideas. 

58 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Like we need one....?

• Building Ashton Gate

If you remove the players from Academy that he sold, remove the players sold that were signed by other regimes (Burt with SOD / Cotts), remove the value of the current academy players but add in the value of the current squad (all signed by Ashton)…..he's millions in the red.  He is the master of benefitting from others hard work.

49 minutes ago, Dredd said:

I don’t think he can take any credit for the stadium, it was all but done when he got here in 2016. 
I wrote a while ago that the man was completely unable to convince our big players to sign new contracts and stay. Bryan, Reid, Fam, Walsh, Brownhill (plus Weimann now) all got into minimum last 18 months of their contracts and Flint only signed on with the proviso he was allowed to leave the following summer. 
Good at getting a decent price for the players yes, good at selling Bristol City to them as a place they could achieve their ambitions. No

But you just know he'll try!

28 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

True.

I for one will be describing Bedminster as “Oily Twatsville” from hereon in. 

It’s what Mark would have wanted.

Looking forward to the renaming of Parson Street Station as Snake Oil Station....of course it'll only be open when City are doing well....

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Seeing how many still fawn over many ex players, I have a feeling this topic will be rumbling on for much longer yet

Oh yes! And especially when events (whatever they are) start to emerge from Suffolk. Can you imagine if, for example, they sign one of our released players. 

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If you remove the players from Academy that he sold, remove the players sold that were signed by other regimes (Burt with SOD / Cotts), remove the value of the current academy players but add in the value of the current squad (all signed by Ashton)…..he's millions in the red.  He is the master of benefitting from others hard work.

One thing I’d be fascinated to know is whether anything in that book that LJ famously once said he could write about the background shenanigans that went on were about Ashton. My instinct is that quite a few of them were. I wonder if that is any closer to emerging one day now that they’ve both moved on.

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

One thing I’d be fascinated to know is whether anything in that book that LJ famously once said he could write about the background shenanigans that went on were about Ashton. My instinct is that quite a few of them were. I wonder if that is any closer to emerging one day now that they’ve both moved on.

I suspect some were….but I’m led to believe both are still very pally.  I think they enjoyed their own egos, that became a super-ego when in each other’s company.

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Yes, agreed. Which is why I'm not as sure as some are that LJ will eventually pitch up at Ipswich if the chance ever arises.

1 hour ago, DaveInSA said:

He let major assets leave (Bryan, Reid, Kelly, Webster) without having any pipeline of talent to replace them

Not addressing the larger parts of the thread but I’d just say how can you say Bryan was allowed to leave without anyone in the pipeline and then quote Kelly just after? 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

... and claiming the credit for it.

(Says an ‘enthusiastic lightbulb’ .... erm....what’s this all about? Just about as I was going hit the champagne moment of posting as many ‘good’ posts as ‘crap’ one’s!).

The fact 11 players are out of contract is definitely dereliction of duty on his part.  At least NP does have the opportunity to rebuild though.

I would also wonder how diligently his recruitment team were working in the interests of BCFC seek replacements too, given his son in law would be off to Ipswich as well.  

The duplicity of the man is astounding.  

Archived