IGNORED

What position did you play ?

Major Isewater

We all know DaveFevs was a monster of a centreback but what positions did other OTIB’ers play ?

I was a tough tackling and very quick wing back , in the mould of Terry Cooper or Mick Mills.

I never stayed anywhere long enough to break into a team although I was affiliated and trained with  Wanderers, Worlebury Wanderers not those copiers from the Black Country.

I once turned down my school team who were playing ‘away ‘ in the areal where I lived.

The team were a ‘man’ short but my principles meant that if I was initially overlooked for the match then I wasn’t going to be good enough to bail them out or in other words ‘ stuff them ‘ . 

Could perform as a CM in the De Bruyne/Pirlo mould. Didn't have to run around like a workhorse. But had an eye for seeing movement and placing balls perfectly. Movement with the ball was also pretty nifty.

As a Striker, more of a target man and powerhouse. Not the tallest but would be challenging the bigger boys due to strength and ability to win balls in air. Also had an absolute weapon of a right foot which would leave a mark.

Also took set pieces and had a nifty trick on being able to score from corners.

Could have possibly made a go in Football. But my work rate wasn't there. I was not a runner, nor liked to track back. 

Like a lot of kids who want the glory of scoring I started off at junior school, and the first year of secondary school up front as an inside forward, but oddly I found my niche as a left back where I played for work teams and the Bristol City London Branch where I was once given the young player of the year award. In honesty, while I was two-footed and had a steely determination I lacked pace to play for anyone truly decent. 

I didn't excel in any one position, or indeed on the pitch at all. Frankly, no matter where I was put, I was a real asset to the opposition. 

I remember one game during a school PE lesson where me and a bunch of other misfits who were awful at football ended up having to play the bullies and arseholes in our year. I'm not sure what happened or why but somehow we out-fought and out-muscled them and played them off the pitch but that was as close as ever I got to any sort of career highlight. 

16 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We all know DaveFevs was a monster of a centreback but what positions did other OTIB’ers play ?

I was a tough tackling and very quick wing back , in the mould of Terry Cooper or Mick Mills.

I never stayed anywhere long enough to break into a team although I was affiliated and trained with  Wanderers, Worlebury Wanderers not those copiers from the Black Country.

I once turned down my school team who were playing ‘away ‘ in the areal where I lived.

The team were a ‘man’ short but my principles meant that if I was initially overlooked for the match then I wasn’t going to be good enough to bail them out or in other words ‘ stuff them ‘ . 

I played either RB or Striker. Played state league for Nambour Reds in Queensland until injury and work commitments took their toll. Soon to have both knees replaced. Played a few games for Nailsea Utd back in the day also.

11 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I didn't excel in any one position, or indeed on the pitch at all. Frankly, no matter where I was put, I was a real asset to the opposition. 

I remember one game during a school PE lesson where me and a bunch of other misfits who were awful at football ended up having to play the bullies and arseholes in our year. I'm not sure what happened or why but somehow we out-fought and out-muscled them and played them off the pitch but that was as close as ever I got to any sort of career highlight. 

This is me minus any good story

I was a left-footed central midfielder who could take a decent set piece and got my nickname from being a poor man's Tinnion. Played schoolboys' football for my county and trained with *cough cough* Rovers youth in my teens, then I discovered women and booze! 

Started as a Winger/Striker with blistering pace when I was young, even went to Bath Uni for Sprinting trials,  then somehow as age hit me and work I lost all of that and ended up as a defensive midfielder or centre back when needed. Never at a good level though as an adult

being 6ft 4 I was a goalkeeper but prefered playing CM

Played for my school team and local county side as goalkeeper and was trained by the at the time Brighton goalkeeping coach who coached part time for the county league team..

Anywhere they'd put me! Generally up front as I wasn't bad in the air. Occasionally right wing, no real pace, not many tricks, but I had a decent cross. And at school I took the corners because I was able to score directly from them (disclaimer, not too difficult with aged 12 goalies in full size nets)!

Started on the right wing and moved diagonally backwards during the course of my football career to finish as left back. If I’d carried on any longer my journey would have made me a spectator behind the goal 

Being blessed with no pace and marginally more skill, I naturally gravitated towards defensive midfield, sitting in front of the back four, winning the ball and passing it to more talented team mates to balls up. Also dabbled in centre half - basically anywhere where I could shout and point (but unlike Kilkenny, also work hard). Continued into managing the side, and now coaching under 9s. Clearly like imparting what wisdom I think I have!

Still play informally each week in 7/8 a side and pretty much do the same. First eleven a side in a weeks time for about five years so will see how that pans out!

At junior school the old fashioned left half. Then in senior school I was moved ‘up top’ as the old inside right.

After that I played in the old Western League as a forward - first time I ever received ‘boot money’ if we won. Bugger all for a draw. It was only for a season and a half before work interfered and I was only available every other week so had to quit and ended up playing for the hospital team - we were given time off for that! 

At the age of 33 injury ended my playing days and my wife reckoned I needed to ‘do something competitive’ and soo I took up playing bowls.............I’ve never looked back.................:whistle:

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

At junior school the old fashioned left half. Then in senior school I was moved ‘up top’ as the old inside right.

After that I played in the old Western League as a forward - first time I ever received ‘boot money’ if we won. Bugger all for a draw. It was only for a season and a half before work interfered and I was only available every other week so had to quit and ended up playing for the hospital team - we were given time off for that! 

At the age of 33 injury ended my playing days and my wife reckoned I needed to ‘do something competitive’ and soo I took up playing bowls.............I’ve never looked back.................:whistle:

66 years playing Bowls. Fair play to you.

Now on another matter what's this I'm hearing about the old New Look shop in Nailsea becoming a strip club.

Archived