IGNORED

What position did you play ?

Major Isewater

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

We all know DaveFevs was a monster of a centreback but what positions did other OTIB’ers play ?

I was a tough tackling and very quick wing back , in the mould of Terry Cooper or Mick Mills.

I never stayed anywhere long enough to break into a team although I was affiliated and trained with  Wanderers, Worlebury Wanderers not those copiers from the Black Country.

I once turned down my school team who were playing ‘away ‘ in the areal where I lived.

The team were a ‘man’ short but my principles meant that if I was initially overlooked for the match then I wasn’t going to be good enough to bail them out or in other words ‘ stuff them ‘ . 

Primary position was centre or right midfield but I played in every single position.

I can’t really think of one position I didn’t play, even keeper once or twice 

Started off playing as a centre Forward as was quick and had a good shot on me.  I played in the final of a regional under 18's tournament and had a match you can only dream of, various scouts were there including Pat Rice and I got offered a trials at Arsenal, Bournemouth and Tranmere.  None of them came to anything and I don't blame them the final was a once in a lifetime game where everything came off, apparently my football intelligence was lacking.  

Went to Uni and got a job in the City of London and ended up spending half a season at Hendon where Boncho Genchev was in the team along with his 2 sons, got petrol money and an appearance fee but didn't make an appearance so pretty much got nothing

Ended up playing Sunday league and slowly moving back down the pitch to fullback, soon after by which time I was waking up every week hungover praying for the game to be called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

Now, a few years on I am doing my coaching badges and looking after my sons under 8's team on a Saturday morning.   

Started at right back, then right half, and ended up somehow at centre half. (only 5'10) but could jump. I was a real danger at corners, in both penalty areas!! Scored 3 ogs in 2 games once, all with me head. Proper leather balls when I started in the fifties. Like kicking and heading a pudding. Possibly played against robbored at  some point.

I was either a Right Back, Centre Back or Defensive Midfielder, for the mighty Longwell Green.  Wasn't particularly good, but I had a Rory Delap throw in ability, and set up numerous goals for our team.  (I say numerous goals, but we lost most matches by 6 or 7 goals).

15 minutes ago, BoneyardTIM said:

Striker, started with Bristol Boys, then got scouted by Jock Rae and had the honour of wearing Red at school boy level. Discovered girls, fags and drink and ended up a washed up drunk on the downs.

All good then

Centre back.   Heading all those kicks from the keeper I'm expecting the dementia to kick in any day now.  

Centre back.   Heading all those kicks from the keeper I'm expecting the dementia to kick in any day now. 

4 minutes ago, marmite said:

Started at right back, then right half, and ended up somehow at centre half. (only 5'10) but could jump. I was a real danger at corners, in both penalty areas!! Scored 3 ogs in 2 games once, all with me head. Proper leather balls when I started in the fifties. Like kicking and heading a pudding. Possibly played against robbored at  some point.

He was the one in the white keepers outfit (with hat & incontinence pad) that always tried to roll the ball as close as possible to the centre spot.

Started up front but gradually moved further from the sharp end and played full back. Unbeknown to me at the time, I was known as the sniper amongst my teammates. Being short of stature they claimed that you couldn’t always see me in the long grass but knew I was in position as the winger was guaranteed to go down suddenly as though he’d been shot.

I don’t think I would last long in the modern game.

Played Striker for Frome Town, at approx 6ft during school years I was always known as Peter Crouch, never made it as far as he did. Gave it up because I wasn’t very good at the time and couldn’t be bothered to train and play in all weathers, young minds eh. 

Started out as a left winger for somerdale wanderers u10’s good goal scoring record for a couple of years. Then everyone got taller & faster & I didn’t . Ended up left back in mainly suburban/ district leagues. Good left foot , could read a game well, liked a tackle. Right foot for standing on only & turned like tug boat ?

A Gerry Gow-esque (nowhere near it tbh) central midfielder until I went to secondary school and became an egg chaser.

Many years after leaving school, I had a knee op (seems we all had one back in the day) and was recovering by doing a bit of running up and down a slope in a par opposite my house. At the time my neighbour ran Chase FC in Kingswood so suggested I train with them, great stuff I thought.

I ended up running the line etc and was asked to be a sub for a game as the normal sub didn't turn up.

The time came when I had to go on and I was soooo bad, they took me off and played with 10.

'You even run like a rugby player'!

Yes, I was THAT bad! :(

5 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

A Gerry Gow-esque (nowhere near it tbh) central midfielder until I went to secondary school and became an egg chaser.

Many years after leaving school, I had a knee op (seems we all had one back in the day) and was recovering by doing a bit of running up and down a slope in a par opposite my house. At the time my neighbour ran Chase FC in Kingswood so suggested I train with them, great stuff I thought.

I ended up running the line etc and was asked to be a sub for a game as the normal sub didn't turn up.

The time came when I had to go on and I was soooo bad, they took me off and played with 10.

'You even run like a rugby player'!

Yes, I was THAT bad! :(

I know Son, but Mum still loves you (when she's sober)

The Friday night ritual: - walk to a phone box to ring the club secretary for the selection news, get told I was in my usual position:

Left Out.

Despite this, I am still trying to play 6-a-side at my advanced years and have gained a reputation for going in goal. Largely because the team lets fewer goals in than when playing outfield...

Goalkeeper, at quite a high standard (even if I do say so myself), up until the age of 15/16 (in 1993). I was coached at the England Goalkeeping school 'Bristol campus' (at St Brendans College) by our very own Keith Welch and Andy Leaning.

Then in a school match a boy wearing metal studs went in 'studs up' as I was sliding out to get a ball he was also chasing. His studs connected with my knee and ripped up into the patella muscles. My knee never really recovered and it stopped me playing properly. So I take the crown of 'retiring' at a very early age! ?

Oddly enough I was a goalkeeper at junior school but ended up being a right-winger through teen years as I was probably fairly quick and strong. I played all the time but never took it that seriously. Had a couple of trials with div1 sides but simply wasn't quick enough for that level. Discovered girls, ciggies and beer about about 16 and that was that really.  As a lifelong city fan I'd have loved to score a goal on 90 minutes at home that took us to the promised land. Actually scoring on 80 minutes instead of 90 probably would have been better as at least some people would still have been in the Dolman to see it.

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

We all know DaveFevs was a monster of a centreback but what positions did other OTIB’ers play ?

I was a tough tackling and very quick wing back , in the mould of Terry Cooper or Mick Mills.

I never stayed anywhere long enough to break into a team although I was affiliated and trained with  Wanderers, Worlebury Wanderers not those copiers from the Black Country.

I once turned down my school team who were playing ‘away ‘ in the areal where I lived.

The team were a ‘man’ short but my principles meant that if I was initially overlooked for the match then I wasn’t going to be good enough to bail them out or in other words ‘ stuff them ‘ . 

Not really a monster at all.

My last 2 games of competitive football were in goal.

Hockey: GK (few times)

Cricket: no1 (always liked to face the first ball, theory I was more likely to get a loosener than a Jaffa) and as a kid a leg spinner who kept Martyn Ball (Glos and England) out of the Avon Schools u13 side.  I never rep’d again after that summer, taking just 2 wickets!  He went on to better things!!

Archived