IGNORED

What position did you play ?

Major Isewater

I suffered from football dyslexia, once on the field I simply could not read the game. However, I was rapid over 50 yards and had a good right foot. My PE teacher took the Forest Gump approach. I was stuck on the half way line or last man, balls were put through (normally hoofed over the top) for me to run onto(with the team shouting at me to run), which I would generally miss hit or smash wide when faced by an approaching keeper. I was the fourth team’s top scorer 2 seasons on the trot, mainly from free kicks and direct corners...In reality I was rubbish!

was rather good at rugby though...even though I hated it!

Eccentric and loud goalkeeper... or target man striker.

At a shit level.

Been a while now though. Anyone need an eccentric and loud goalkeeper... or target man striker?

At a shit level?

4 hours ago, TBW said:

Eccentric and loud goalkeeper... or target man striker.

At a shit level.

Been a while now though. Anyone need an eccentric and loud goalkeeper... or target man striker?

At a shit level?

I can think of just the team for you!

Striker or winger who never ever passed the ball ?.

Graced all 4 Downs leagues, B&D, Avon Prem and the brilliant Bristol Sunday Regional league (iirc). Mailcoach days were proper football, shite pitches, ringers, fights, absolutely loved it.

Played as CM for Saltford, Long Ashton, Paulton ,Brislington, imperial United & ended up at Stockwood Green (with Fevs) ... was a ball winner who just give the ball to those that could play, so very limited. 

Sunday’s were more fun as less serious & played for Keynsham Sunday, Broomhill , TM Ceramics & had a great season as an old man at 3 Lions 

I was shit in every position I played but I ran around a lot and tried my best.

As a result, I ended up playing in goal and wasn't too bad at that. My high point coming when the 6 a side team I played in made it to the semi finals of the cup having conceded just one goal in the 4 previous rounds. The semi finished 1-1 and went to sudden death penalties. I managed to save one but our usually reliable strikers ballooned one over the bar and one wide so we went out.

A tragic case of "What would have never been"

???

I think I have just about played every position on the pitch. Started off as a goal keeper in school but didn’t real get involved properly with teams until I was 16 and playing men’s football. Started out wide out of the way cos I was fast and skinny but due to my terrible eye sight I couldn’t really see much.

Everything changed when I started wearing contact lenses in my early 20s I could actually start seeing the ball and make out players!

Spent the better part of my games then as centre mid or centre back despite my size, loved a good tackle and had a good engine on me.

Such great days despite not playing in the best sides but they were great mates and wouldn’t change it. Makes the successes we did have that much sweeter.

On 20/05/2021 at 14:32, sh1t_ref_again said:

Flanker

Was crap at football, but was fast and a bit of a thug so great at rugby

Always preferred watching footy

Same here, mate.

Sooooooo wanted to be good at football, but was utter shite.

Played rugby instead at school, prop forward. Although if swimming was an option, then that was always the chosen option.

As you say, football is easily better than rugby to watch.

As a tall lad I lumped up front as a lone striker for years in our annual battle not to finish bottom of the bottom league. Can there be a worse position to play in a bad team?

In later years I went to training with a mate who was very good and wanted some company at his new, very good team. Somehow I got a game playing at centre half and loved it. So easy playing with good players. 
Alas, I found my new position just as my playing career was coming to an end. I could definitely been the next Forbes Phillipson-Masters

One thing that I totally believe and is really reinforced by this thread is that playing a team sport - at any age - is an education you simply cannot replicate. People from all walks of life, thrown together, for the shared love of spending time together to enjoy playing football, rugby or whatever is absolutely priceless in life. 

Archived