IGNORED

What position did you play ?

Major Isewater

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

'Hoping to die first so I can haunt the old bastard' was a bit of a giveaway tbh. ;)

It's all these virile young women you've got that annoys I should think. ?

I can't help being a stud muffin !!

And at my age I don't know if I'm coming or going 

I played anywhere that I could get in the team (but still rarely did). My preferred position was RB, but I also could play RW. Although nowadays I think I suit holding midfield best. I was quick, a good tackler and had a great and accurate right foot on me. How I never got into teams still baffles me to this day. Maybe I thought I was better then I was, but I could (and did) win the ball back, send a 40+ yard ball perfectly to the striker who scored. I also had a knack for sneaking in the box unmarked at a corner and scoring, usually the winner. I am suited to be a super sub?

when i played for tickenham juniors,the coach was the headmaster and to be perfectly honest,he didnt have a clue about anything other than how to play a piano so we would rock up for a game,kick off and go free for all,only chance of success was to take the opposition out which we did with ease,still lost most games though

2 hours ago, BoneyardTIM said:

Striker, started with Bristol Boys, then got scouted by Jock Rae and had the honour of wearing Red at school boy level. Discovered girls, fags and drink and ended up a washed up drunk on the downs.

Was in the Bristol Boys set up as well and scouted by Jock and Cliff Morgan.

Couple of real gentlemen.

Didn't do the fags and downs...

Striker. Lucky enough to have been scouted by Jock as a 10 year old, spent 6 years going through the system before being released. Scored a fair a few goals at a decent standard. Gloucestershire County League top scorer 2 years running! Wasn’t one for chasing money, stayed with mates for the beer and the good times. Bloody loved it. 

GK in school but a frustrated striker. Didn't play for a team until 22 as I was always at the Gate and restricted as I was self employed so couldn't afford to get injured, still did though. That was Sunday football but usually the commitment wasn't always there from others which was frustrating. Played for Shirehampton, Lamplighters, Ashton containers, Bristol South all on Sundays. Then a few Saturday turn outs for teams short on players when City were away. Wheatsheaf in the regional, Knowle UTD on the Downs a few times and a few times for Horfield.

Mainly played as a striker in my younger days, then midfield, and centre back. Not big at 5'10" but had a good jump and heading was a strong point. Was quite quick and brave in the box to get an attempt on goal.

2 hours ago, Ryan_BCFC said:

Played Striker for Frome Town, at approx 6ft during school years I was always known as Peter Crouch, never made it as far as he did. Gave it up because I wasn’t very good at the time and couldn’t be bothered to train and play in all weathers, young minds eh. 

Given that Peter Crouch said he if he wasn't a footballer he would be a virgin, you were known as Peter Crouch and aren't / weren't a footballer......

54 minutes ago, marmite said:

I played at the Gate aged 16 in front of a crowd of several...... in the Glos Junior Cup Final and we won 2-1. Magic day for me. Who else has graced the sacred turf?

Played there once in the woodcock shield. A few parents and school mates in the crowd.
We arrived a bit late and were miffed to find that Brislington had already claimed the home dressing room and had gone for a tour. A few of our “less sophisticated “ elements decided they were not having that, and flung all their kit bags out into the corridor so that we could claim our rightful place. Went down as well as you might imagine and I’m pretty sure it contributed to our defeat.

Played for school (Hanham High) throughout, centre half as tall or left wing as fast (but all right foot!). Loved playing centre half, loved a tackle and getting stuck in. Big shouter, loved organising in front as the game played out. Then played some 5 a-side on the artificial pitch at National Hockey stadium in MK late 90's, early 00's, constantly taking skin off knees with sliding tackles!  Didn't care though, loved it!

Some football with my 7 1/2 year old daughter is as close as I get now, but no less enjoyable!

Teams at School and cubs right back and dabbled with being a hapless goalie at university. Taking part in the Engineers league in Hong Kong the locals were misguided enough to think that a "gweilo" would be a natural forward - how wrong they were and I reverted to right back.

Thinking about my illustrious footballing career probably my best position was substitute. 

CM, used to love knocking passes around the pitch. Not that they actually ever made it my targets!!

Got stuck in goal after our keeper was too hungover to play and found my niche. I also had an 80% save rate with penalties (8/10) a stat i will take to my grave.

I had to stop playing after my knee gave in and ngl, i miss it like hell! 

Striker. Target man. Had a 100% penalty record and I took a fair few! Played at a decent level but but in the grand scheme of things my all round game was average and I always struggled with my fitness. Still had a better first touch than Diedhiou though.

I wish I could say that I had trials at various pro clubs but had to retire young due to a serious knee injury….but I’d be lying like most of the people I hear tell that story…

Loving this thread. Happy days.? all round.

Centre forward turned centre half. Played downs League early 90s , Cotswool and Retainers then various Sunday leagues after that including veterans League which my old mates still do! 

Decent seam up medium pace but I was a really awesome fielder. rocket of an arm . usually at cover. when I was a youngster they used to give me most of the onside to patrol as I'd usually been at the Billy before the game. ? Retired from football long ago and cricket two years ago. Don't miss it tbh.

Sweeper in the very rough mould of the great Norman Hunter, but without any of the skill.  Although a fair number of my passbacks turned into scorching goals that Bobby Charlton would have been proud of.

Broke my leg playing against Nailsea on the pitch by the Ring of Bells.

I played in goal once against Parson Street Old Boys and got sent off in the first half. 

box to box midfielder ala Bryan Robson. Scored over 200 goals for the same team through Bristol Junior League, Bristol and Avon league, Suburban League and finally Somerset Senior (winning 3rd,2nd,1st titles in consecutive seasons). 

3 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Started as a Right Winger and stayed there in both my amateur Football and Rugby days. I stopped playing Football altogether when I was 18, and apart from the occasional 5 A Side game, never kicked a spherical ball since

I should add, I was "spotted" by Dave Burnside at Bath City, and asked to go along. My Dad had different ideas and I wound up at Bath Rugby. To be fair, as an amateur, the social life in the 15 a side game was top stuff

Primary School - Wansdyke - RB 

Cubs - 21st Gladstone - GK 

Secondary School - BGS - Striker (claim to fame beating Millfield) 

Also Fair Furlong on a Saturday - Striker (Team was half BGS / half Hartcliffe) 

Saturdays - was up the Downs with Old Cothamians & Cotham OBs - Striker (truly great days) 

Sundays - Mail Coach (!) goodness what league that was. Played at Eastville (Park) - Striker

Nowadays - Sands United Bristol FC - Right Midfield/Striker - just a joy to play 11-a-side again and a privilege to represent the team   

Football, eh, isn’t it ❤️

1 minute ago, CyderInACan said:

Primary School - Wansdyke - RB 

Cubs - 21st Gladstone - GK 

Secondary School - BGS - Striker (claim to fame beating Millfield) 

Also Fair Furlong on a Saturday - Striker (Team was half BGS / half Hartcliffe) 

Saturdays - was up the Downs with Old Cothamians & Cotham OBs - Striker (truly great days) 

Sundays - Mail Coach (!) goodness what league that was. Played at Eastville (Park) - Striker

Nowadays - Sands United Bristol FC - Right Midfield/Striker - just a joy to play 11-a-side again and a privilege to represent the team   

Football, eh, isn’t it ❤️

First game for Broadwalk u13s (I played a year up) was against Fair Furlong…..we went 1-0 up, lost 15-1.  We got hammered most games.

16 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

A no nonsense centre back.  For which read, dirty bastard who tried to make up for his lack of ball skills by running into people at speed and hurting them.  :whistle:

Only sent off five times.  :innocent06:

Five times more than me RR. I don’t think I ever got booked either. Referees were far more lenient in those days.

Good thread. Enjoyable reading. 

School days I was a left winger for Filton Avenue. I had a brilliant full back behind me - Kevin Maggs of Ireland rugby fame! I earned trials for Bristol Boys after winning player of the year in our league title season.  They were picking 12 lads and I was told I came 14th (I had a poor trial match against a bloody good right back, so they overlooked my huge contribution all season and judged me on one game - I remember being fine about it but my school team manager was livid, ha ha). 

Gave up from 16 til 25 ish - as many others have commented, too busy drinking, smoking and watching City. 

Started again in Suburban Prem 2 as a left winger again but soon moved to centre midfield - I’d describe by style back then as non-stop energy, plenty of tackles and winning headers, superb vision/creativity and chipping in with double digit goals each season. 
Player of the year 4 seasons running and included a divisional title and a cup semi (whilst also managing the side for 2 seasons too). 

Team disbanded so I moved up to Glos County league but suffered an MCL. Upon my comeback I reverted to a holding midfielder rather than the all-action goalscoring mid. My abiding memory being a Boxing Day fixture away at Longwell Green, where I’d travelled back from the in-laws in Eastbourne that morning (200 miles), to find myself on a muddy bog, with my direct opponent being ex-City midfielder Matty Hale - I didn’t get near him all game and they thrashed us 4-1. Easily the best player I’d ever faced - I’m sure I’d have got closer to him had I not just driven 4 hours!! 

Finished back in Suburban Prem 1 for a couple of seasons and then with the ressies in Div 2, but injuries got the better of me and retired at 37. 

Still a 5/6/7 a side regular. Stupidly attempted a full 11 a side suburban league comeback last season just after lockdown, now aged 47 - enjoyed it, and had 2 man of the match performances surprisingly, but boy did it hurt!! Think I’ll hang the boots up for the 2nd time. 

Great thread.

CF, 6ft 3in target man.  Somerset County league.  No real pace but had a box of tricks and a lively right foot (left foot was for standing on) scored my fair share but probably made twice as many.  Best goal was away at Timsbury, think David Platt against Belgium, WC 90, volley into the opposing corner as the ball dropped over my right shoulder.  Took penalties my whole playing days, missed only one.  Had to stop playing mid twenties due to dislocations to both knees so started managing the team I played for.  7 great years later, 2 promotions and one cup final.  Loved it.

Archived