IGNORED

No Head of Recruitment

Harry

1 minute ago, RedRock said:

No Head of Recruitment or establishment of a scouting network is terrible news. 

As Nige says himself in the interview the existing team are very good (cough) technical recruiters. Bit like LJ though, if the game were played on paper we would be world champions. It’s not and we aren’t. We’re s**t. Our recruitment since Ashton took over the reigns, replacing Cotts system with his, has - with very few exceptions - been s**t. 

Staring at computer statistics is no replacement for eyes on the ground and intuition from knowledgable, experienced, proven scouts. 

Oh dear. Not good. Not good at all. 

My gut feel is that NP will be much better at articulating his player requirements clearly to SG than LJ or MA were.  Nigel is clear and concise.  That will help.  Up to SG to execute on those.

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

….the role of Head of Technical recruitment is very different to a DoF.  Now if they are changing SG’s role remit that’s very different.  NP has stated he doesn’t want to watch players and he doesn’t want to deal with agents.  Either NP has changed his mind, and feels it’s necessary or someone else is doing that.  No reason Tinnion can’t assist, no reason JL couldn’t either.

It needs clarification Dave. SG is perfectly placed to watch and advise Nige on potential players. Any negotiations could be carried out by Gould or Invisible Jon. There may even be another senior employee within the structure at AG to take on that role.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

….and was allegedly showing a player around Failand yesterday.  No idea who, or anything like that.  So not linked in any way to Whatmough rumours, because those rumours were it was in April.  I know no more.  The source is some who knows a player very well.  It could be bulkshit.  I’m just stating what I was told.  NP has told us he started planning the summer from the first day here.

It doesn’t actually….⬇️⬇️⬇️

….the role of Head of Technical recruitment is very different to a DoF.  Now if they are changing SG’s role remit that’s very different.  NP has stated he doesn’t want to watch players and he doesn’t want to deal with agents.  Either NP has changed his mind, and feels it’s necessary or someone else is doing that.  No reason Tinnion can’t assist, no reason JL couldn’t either.

I guess it's all about time. Just get going now, be more involved, advise until (?) someone else comes in

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My gut feel is that NP will be much better at articulating his player requirements clearly to SG than LJ or MA were.  Nigel is clear and concise.  That will help.  Up to SG to execute on those.

No worries that the same people who/system that created the mess of the squad we had/have - playing some of the most inept football, with the worst DNA, I have witnessed in 50+years - are being entrusted to rebuild the squad? 

While LJ/Ashton may have vacated the building, I have grave doubts that the personnel and/or system will deliver the players we need. 

For me, the most important signing of the Summer was a quality Chief Scout/Director of Recruitment. 

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

What this might mean is that our signings this summer are more likely to be players Nige already knows.

Absolutely. Simpson was a player Nige had worked with previously and no doubt he’d prefer to bring in at least some players that he knows what they’ll bring.

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

They must be free agents then. And let's be fair if your a free agent just before hundreds more become available after June you would jump at the security.

Who have they signed?

What are you talking about? Players who are still under contract now until the end of say June, can agree to sign for other clubs but not officially join them until their current contract ends. The new club can also announce it (like yesturday) before the player officially leaves their current club. They don't have to be free agents to do that.

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

We can agree to differ there then mate, unless you call good journalism lifting topics from otib and regurgitating older stories

I thought he was a Wannabe?.................so you have now decided he is a journalist?

Seems sensible to think that NP wants a core role in player recruitment this summer, due to the sheer task at hand.

Once this window (possibly January also) is out of the way, I could see the club then choosing to appoint a Head of Recruitment. 

To implement that structure now, may leave us chasing shadows in the transfer window. 

A number of targets will likely have been highlighted by now, between Gillespie and Pearson, they can begin strengthening the squad. 

No panic. 

5 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

What are you talking about? Players who are still under contract now until the end of say June, can agree to sign for other clubs but not officially join them until their current contract ends. The new club can also announce it (like yesturday) before the player officially leaves their current club. They don't have to be free agents to do that.

So who have they signed?

43 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

….and was allegedly showing a player around Failand yesterday.  No idea who, or anything like that.  So not linked in any way to Whatmough rumours, because those rumours were it was in April.  I know no more.  The source is some who knows a player very well.  It could be bulkshit.  I’m just stating what I was told.  NP has told us he started planning the summer from the first day here.

It doesn’t actually….⬇️⬇️⬇️

I didn't  realise that NP had stated he  does not want to watch players?   That has to be a concern, surely if there is no director of football or head of recruitment, then who analyse's a potential recruit?  Who looks into  his character and ability, and decides if he is an appropriate signing?  If you are manager then surely you will want to run the rule over a potential signing?   Am I missing something?

3 minutes ago, frenchred said:

It's not! We cannot sign another clubs player who is under contract until the transfer window opens

We can, we can't register them until the window but they can join the club

Its worth noting, while we may not be getting a 'head of recruitment', we likely have scouts on a retainer within the network contracted to the clubs outside of MA's team.

Secondly, it merely rules out someone in that position. We could still operate with someone within an advisory capacity, with Pearson - i.e. an agent on retainer directly who works under SL providing NP with a network and helping deal with other agents or players directly, in addition to an advanced scouting setup. I.e. Mendes at Wolves being a very extreme example of such a setup.

4 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I didn't  realise that NP had stated he  does not want to watch players?   That has to be a concern, surely if there is no director of football or head of recruitment, then who analyse's a potential recruit?  Who looks into  his character and ability, and decides if he is an appropriate signing?  If you are manager then surely you will want to run the rule over a potential signing?   Am I missing something?

He enjoys working with analysts (in additions to scouts) directly who he bounces off, who he considers much more knowledgeable in the under-surface statistics and identifying player traits and habits. I.e. Mahrez at Le Havre.

Might be a sign of the financial constraints we are working under if the club choose to not employ someone in a senior role, could be that Nige knows what areas he wants to add players and either working from the analysts list, watching players himself and conversations with various agents, he is confident he can get in the people he wants in this window.

Once the rebuild has started, he might well look at a head of recruitment, but for now, in Nigel we trust.

34 minutes ago, RedRock said:

No worries that the same people who/system that created the mess of the squad we had/have - playing some of the most inept football, with the worst DNA, I have witnessed in 50+years - are being entrusted to rebuild the squad? 

While LJ/Ashton may have vacated the building, I have grave doubts that the personnel and/or system will deliver the players we need. 

For me, the most important signing of the Summer was a quality Chief Scout/Director of Recruitment. 

I don’t disagree with your last sentence at all.  But I very much suspect NP doesn’t suffer fools gladly and if SG doesn’t provide him with prospective players that meet the brief, he won’t be in position very long.  Let’s not forget NP has a whole network of contacts who he can ask for advice / opinions, understand who might be available etc.

6 minutes ago, frenchred said:

It's not! We cannot sign another clubs player who is under contract until the transfer window opens

You can, as others have pointed out.

3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

That was in an interview pre-City….and probably because he trusted Walsh previously to do it for him.

I’m not gonna worry too much until we see who we genuinely get rumoured to be in for.

2 minutes ago, Fuber said:

He enjoys working with analysts (in additions to scouts) directly who he bounces off, who he considers much more knowledgeable in the under-surface statistics and identifying player traits and habits. I.e. Mahrez at Le Havre.

Ok............thanks.  I feel a little less concerned now  Ha!          

Some people seem to be getting a bit jittery about this. How did we used to do this thing about player recruitment a few years ago? I'm sure GJ already had some knowledge before appointing Pete. Any manager worth his salt will have contacts he can trust to recommend players.

Surely Pearson will have enough contacts within the game that he can himself contact, to see of the availability of this or that type of player that clubs will have on their books which are surplus to requirements, or that they themselves have been watching which might not meet their requirements. That's apart from the players he already knows and will be well informed about their availability and contract situation with our own recruitment department doing extra work.

Much better for tried and tested players and ones he'd have had his eyes on previously than relying on a new head of recruitment who'd have to get his feet under the desk and find out about our club, before starting the hard bit.

Much better to bring in someone we really want, even if it's a bit later.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No.  Scouting Dept has pillaged.

We need to host an international jamboree of scouting at The Gate.

Will should be able to self-pillage some well acquired knowledge, if we can loosen a few woggles with a generous dose of Thatchers.

Might even be a forum badge in it!

Dib-dib-dib.

35 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I don’t think you are.

It is a massive ask nowadays for a manager to perform scouting duties as well as his fist team squad role.

I very much doubt he had much scouting time during his reign with us to date, whilst presiding over the rabble of the first team squad.

That leaves us with a list of players that he’s assembled over the last 12-18 months, most of which time he had Covid. Our only saviour is him calling in a few favours from his contacts. 

Not sure I’d be chucking £millions at a squad rebuilding process of monumental scale, comparative to previous seasons, based on favours and a recruitment team that has delivered a succession of failures - which, granted, may not be entirely their fault due to the LJ/Ashton factor. 

Oh well, in Nige  and the recruitment team we trust. New era and all that.  Hopefully, I will be blown away by the quality of the new signings and the welding of a truly effective, high performing TEAM. 

2 hours ago, walnutroof said:

I see it more of an acceptance that there isn’t time to properly set up a new recruitment structure for this transfer window and so we’ve taken a more pragmatic approach so not to be left behind and left with the potential signings nobody else wanted 

We'll probably get in there super quick and sign then early doors and so be none the wiser as to whether any one else actually wanted them :)

Archived