IGNORED

No Head of Recruitment

Harry

7 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

So we've gone from one bloke running everything to one bloke running everything ?

..but with the new bloke being more knowledgable than the bloke he’s replaced.

This is progress. Bristol City progress. These things take time you know.

15 minutes ago, Club and Country said:

And isn’t that what most wanted... Pearson with complete control!?

Out of the frying pan...

8 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

NP won't be negotiating contracts

So who will be ?

Sean Gilhespy ?

Fantastic.

18 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

So we've gone from one bloke running everything to one bloke running everything ?

I’m sure I wanted a proper football man in charge.  Well, this is the right start!

Seriously though, over the next month what else has he got to do other than prep pre-season and look for players.  He’s had loads of time off.  Along with the coaches, recruitment team, which includes Tinnion too, there’s plenty of hands on deck to mean it’s not a one-man operation.

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Out of the frying pan...

So who will be ?

Sean Gilhespy ?

Fantastic.

Assume it will be Gould.

Anyhow, we can’t continue the s**tfest of the last four years.

Everyone knows that. Lessons must have been learned.

Ive got to trust the judgement of the powers that be, so in the recruitment team I trust. We’ve had our practice. Now is delivery time.

55 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

who are the scouts does anyone know. i now Mervyn Day was one until he left. was he replaced.

2777.jpg?width=1020&quality=85&auto=form

No need to panic - we’re in safe hands. :) 

This is really concerning news if the story is to be believed. Mainly because we’re desperate for football experience in the boardroom and this recruitment team is part of the problem, IMO. 

Can anyone name one player these recruitment analysts have signed that’s actually improved us or been sold for a profit? Webster and Brownhill were LJ signings. Other sold for profit came through the academy. 

Brentford have two DoF and an extensive recruitment model. Even Peterborough have Barry Fry as DoF, and their recruitment in L1 has yielded more big money sales. 

It’s not rocket science to see why we’ve fallen so far behind Brentford. If the Lansdowns aspire to follow the Brentford model, get out and do it.

25 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

So we've gone from one bloke, who hoodwinked everyone into thinking he knew what he was doing,  running everything, to one bloke, who actually does know what he’s doing,  running everything ?

Minor edit needed.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

My view is that Nige wanted either Walsh or McKenzie but both are not available at this time. Therefore he’ll wait to get the right person. 

Not sure what the structure will be. 
I’d hope that Nige knows who he wants, so could be that Nige creates his targets, Gilhespy crunches some numbers, Nige and Gould then meet the agent and player, and then Gould handles the finance of the deal. 

With the greatest respect to him, if Gilhespy is involved in any negotiations with agents or players then I worry for us. 

You know far more about this than me Harry, but feels a little like we're moving from having one bloke who wants to have a finger in everything, and getting in everyone else's way - to now being stretched thin and having people doing things they don't really want to be involved in? 

Waiting makes complete sense, and maybe it's just temporary until the right person is available - hope you're right.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m sure I wanted a proper football man in charge.  Well, this is the right start!

Seriously though, over the next month what else has he got to do other than prep pre-season and look for players.  He’s had loads of time off.  Along with the coaches, recruitment team, which includes Tinnion too, there’s plenty of hands on deck to mean it’s not a one-man operation.

Well, we'll see.

But I don't think this is good, in fact I think it is the opposite and I was concerned that this may happen.

15 minutes ago, tin said:

Can anyone name one player these recruitment analysts have signed that’s actually improved us or been sold for a profit?

Mo Eisa and Sammie Szmodics both sold for profit accounts wise, Eliasson sold for profit? Remember there being some debate Magnússon sold for profit accounts wise? 

20 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Assume it will be Gould.

Anyhow, we can’t continue the s**tfest of the last four years.

Everyone knows that. Lessons must have been learned.

Ive got to trust the judgement of the powers that be, so in the recruitment team I trust. We’ve had our practice. Now is delivery time.

I assume people on the football side give whoever’s negotiating an idea of the standing we see the player - key player, regular starter, match day squad, developing player etc and in our minds we’d have an ideal wage range for each, CEO or whoever would then do their best to negotiate a deal based on those parameters

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Well, we'll see.

But I don't think this is good, in fact I think it is the opposite and I was concerned that this may happen.

I’m just gonna sit and chill.  Might be a disaster.  Might be great.  Might be BP struggling for column inches.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I’m just gonna sit and chill.  Might be a disaster.  Might be great.  Might be BP struggling for column inches.

I'm chilled - decades of disappointment and the club shooting itself in the foot have inured me to anything that they do. Always a step forward followed by a step back.

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

Mo Eisa and Sammie Szmodics both sold for profit accounts wise, Eliasson sold for profit? Remember there being some debate Magnússon sold for profit accounts wise? 

I assume people on the football side give whoever’s negotiating an idea of the standing we see the player - key player, regular starter, match day squad, developing player etc and in our minds we’d have an ideal wage range for each, CEO or whoever would then do their best to negotiate a deal based on those parameters

There is:

sold for a value that means it appears in the accounts as a positive figure in the “transfer profit” column in the actual accounts

(In the inflationary market that Ashton operated in, it was pretty difficult not to do well)

and there’s:

sold for a fee that covers all the costs that were incurred during the time the player was here (fees, wages, bonuses, agent fees, signing on fees, sell-on profit to former club etc).

in each of the examples given above (Szmodics, Eliasson, Magnússon and Eisa), I suspect that overall we barely made anything, in some cases a loss.  But if you take wages out (that’s a given) we probably made a few quid on each in other costs vs fee recouped.

I hope this is temporary and we're waiting for the right person otherwise I feel this is a mistake and shooting ourselves in the foot longer term.

A good head of recruitment pay for themselves many times over, why do I feel this short sighted and a poorly perceived money saving exercise.  Always seems the same at City we always under invest in the coaching and backroom positions to truly support the manager. I really hope this isn't the case. 

3 hours ago, spudski said:

NP Probably knows what players he wants.

He would jeapordise his job if he didn't think he could recruit with the team we have in place.

Gould will most likely do the negotiating of money and agents, but won't be involved in recruitment. That's my feeling.

I should imagine a head of recruitment will come in at a later date when the right person is available.

Joe Jordan would be a nice fit.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Might be a sign of the financial constraints we are working under if the club choose to not employ someone in a senior role, could be that Nige knows what areas he wants to add players and either working from the analysts list, watching players himself and conversations with various agents, he is confident he can get in the people he wants in this window.

Once the rebuild has started, he might well look at a head of recruitment, but for now, in Nigel we trust.

Yes. This sounds like a pro tem solution to me. He’ll have researched enough targets in his time out and since being here to get what we immediately need. Then a bigger boy will come in and start to run a proper recruitment team  

19 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

And how many of those improved us on the pitch? Magnússon was useful, the other two made one league start between them. Therein lies my point: this recruitment team has played a big role in making us worse since Cotterill and Burt went, IMO. 

I cannot understand how with this massive job to do this transfer window that NP and this other bloke and some analysts will be able to handle it all. The  scouting , discussing terms and contracts and wages and signing of players. As well as what Pearson has to do on the training and playing side. It seems too much and already alarms me. And SL once again has taken weeks and weeks to come up with this. Why has it taken so long to decide. Biggest challenge for a long time and we are reducing the support to recruitment and signing of players. Insanity.

40 minutes ago, tin said:

This is really concerning news if the story is to be believed. Mainly because we’re desperate for football experience in the boardroom and this recruitment team is part of the problem, IMO. 

Can anyone name one player these recruitment analysts have signed that’s actually improved us or been sold for a profit? Webster and Brownhill were LJ signings. Other sold for profit came through the academy. 

Brentford have two DoF and an extensive recruitment model. Even Peterborough have Barry Fry as DoF, and their recruitment in L1 has yielded more big money sales. 

It’s not rocket science to see why we’ve fallen so far behind Brentford. If the Lansdowns aspire to follow the Brentford model, get out and do it.

I think you have to ask the question, is it the analysts who've not given the correct information or, the decision makers not using the information properly. Both party's could also have been hindered by financial restraints in looking and signing players with a smaller budget than other teams might have been afforded. After all, if the analysts weren't doing what was asked of them, surely they'd have been moved on. Hasn't NP stated that it's an excellent department, or something similar.

It would seem sensible to streamline the team of executives and hopefully employ people like RG on la lower salary than MA.  The club has lost a huge amount this last year and should have made savings on all wages - including players.  We were in a great position to do this with both player and executive contracts finishing at the same time. Lucky!

Archived