IGNORED

No Head of Recruitment

Harry

I am sure we are looking to fill the roles but it takes time and there is a window upon us. Might be best to take our time and get the right people long term and trust NP to do a job and recruit well enough to keep us in the division. 

4 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Perhaps its a case of not wanting to just appoint anyone and want to bring in the right person? If they're not available now we're prepared to wait until we find the right person?

His article on Antoine's brother was a load of shite

Hope so.  And reckon so too.

I don't really want any manager making all the decisions about recruitment and setting the identity of the club.  Having said that NP seems to have set Leicester on the right path so that is a comfort whilst we wait to appoint the right person.    

52 minutes ago, Rich said:

I think you have to ask the question, is it the analysts who've not given the correct information or, the decision makers not using the information properly. Both party's could also have been hindered by financial restraints in looking and signing players with a smaller budget than other teams might have been afforded. After all, if the analysts weren't doing what was asked of them, surely they'd have been moved on. Hasn't NP stated that it's an excellent department, or something similar.

Think that’s a fair point.

Our analysts may well be excellent. From a punters ‘uninformed’ viewpoint the ‘product’ they have helped produce is beyond woeful. But it possibly unfair to say they are responsible for our pretty hopeless signings made since Cotts left.

Probably why we need someone like Jon or Steve - given it’s probably their decision to continue with a key fundamental of a failed past strategy - to come out and say this is why we failed with our recruitment and it’s because no one listened to the analysts.

From my own experience, there is nothing more frustrating than media reporting   ‘I should have known better’ ... when I did, and was ignored by those in command and my loyalty to the organisation (and need for a job) meant I couldn’t speak out. So, I have every sympathy with the analysts, if , and hopefully it was, their advice was totally ignored. 

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

Assume it will be Gould.

Anyhow, we can’t continue the s**tfest of the last four years.

Everyone knows that. Lessons must have been learned.

Ive got to trust the judgement of the powers that be, so in the recruitment team I trust. We’ve had our practice. Now is delivery time.

Trusting Lansdown to make right decisions. I think his track record would suggest the reverse to be true.

2 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Trusting Lansdown to make right decisions. I think his track record would suggest the reverse to be true.

Statement was made on the basis of hope rather than belief!

I take from the BP that maybe NP considered it’s too late this summer for new HoR to make impact immediately and/or who he wants isn’t available. So will work with existing team for now.

He’s not going to fully rebuild in one window anyway so I’m fairly relaxed. Can build over next 2/3 years (I’m assuming we stay in Championship of course!)

Get the right man in in due course.

Would be nice for a bit of transparency from the club on this as to why a DOF or HOR won’t be appointed and whether like some say, they are waiting for someone specific to become available. Especially as we all know how significant improvements need to be in the recruitment dept.

23 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Would be nice for a bit of transparency from the club on this as to why a DOF or HOR won’t be appointed and whether like some say, they are waiting for someone specific to become available. Especially as we all know how significant improvements need to be in the recruitment dept.

Hence no need for a DOF, HOR or any other suit with a silly job title. 

51 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

So NP gets the thing that everyone has been claiming we should never and definitely not ever do.  Yay (sarcastic).  Pray I do not renegotiate this further has never been so apt.... 

Not me Ralph….I’m a simple man, who just wanted some proper football people involved, not a football wannabe like MA.

So, I’m happy if a man of his experience and contacts wants to be a bit more / lot more involved than he has been at other clubs.

As with all these things, time will tell.  But he’s been pretty clear that recruitment is a team “thing”, he’s very happy with the analytics team (against our better judgement ???), so I’m not sure the concerned reaction on here is quite justified.  He’s not for one second suggested he’s doing the lot.

We don’t even know the facts behind Gregor’s story either.

5 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Anybody else remember Jock Rae, Chief Scout for BCFC?. Read his name in a match programme (during the early 80's I think) and it has stuck in my head all these years later.I

Never met the man, wouldn't know him if he stood up in my soup. 

He was scouting a game I played in way back.  Think he was there to watch Jason Drysdale (Speedy’s son).

7 hours ago, Red_Alligator said:

Anybody else remember Jock Rae, Chief Scout for BCFC?. Read his name in a match programme (during the early 80's I think) and it has stuck in my head all these years later.I

Met him a few times. Lovely man!

13 hours ago, Robbored said:

I heard on the grape vine that the head analysis Sean  Glihespy will be working very closely with Nige. That makes the DoF role redundant.

Makes perfect sense to me.

I haven't seen this on the OS, just wild speculation.

The "grape vine" indeed ? - you read it on here !

9 hours ago, Warwickshire Red said:

I take from the BP that maybe NP considered it’s too late this summer for new HoR to make impact immediately and/or who he wants isn’t available. So will work with existing team for now.

He’s not going to fully rebuild in one window anyway so I’m fairly relaxed. Can build over next 2/3 years (I’m assuming we stay in Championship of course!)

Get the right man in in due course.

That's basically how I see it.

I think this means we will sign a few fairly established players this window, probably ones Pearson himself is personally aware of. We will supplement these with others who perform well statistically that the analysts have sold to Pearson - someone like Whatmough for example.

I don't envisage us making any Diedhiou/Eliasson type signings this window.

12 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Might be a sign of the financial constraints we are working under

Yeah poor old SL has dropped out of the top 100 in today's Sunday Times rich list. 

It shows him on £1.365bn. I know it is a big number but I think he was nearer £2bn at one time. 

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

Yeah poor old SL has dropped out of the top 100 in today's Sunday Times rich list. 

It shows him on £1.365bn. I know it is a big number but I think he was nearer £2bn at one time. 

And the .365bn will go on baling us out this season!

Well we will surely see the test of the new set up quite soon as  players are now on the move. And needing quite a few in during this window you would expect activity reasonably early. Particularly as NP has had a long time to plan his targets l. Or is this wishful thinking.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m sure I wanted a proper football man in charge.  Well, this is the right start!

Seriously though, over the next month what else has he got to do other than prep pre-season and look for players.  He’s had loads of time off.  Along with the coaches, recruitment team, which includes Tinnion too, there’s plenty of hands on deck to mean it’s not a one-man operation.

I wonder if the plan is to have the whole back room operations staffed by ex footballers?

Would be quite a thing?

Imagine new signings to the team.  "Yeah I see myselft as a right back, who can play a number of positions.  Plus Im quite handy with Excel"

17 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's basically how I see it.

I think this means we will sign a few fairly established players this window, probably ones Pearson himself is personally aware of. We will supplement these with others who perform well statistically that the analysts have sold to Pearson - someone like Whatmough for example.

I don't envisage us making any Diedhiou/Eliasson type signings this window.

Probably going to post this several times over the summer but expect this summer’s recruitment to be a blend.

For all the paranoia about signing players 30 & above, the recent cull has left us short of experience, especially at the back & in midfield so would not be surprised to see a couple around that age brought in.

I think it highly likely we will also look at a couple with some league experience but with potential, such as the Chelsea lad who was on loan over the river.

Finally I would not rule out signings from Europe, Pearson will know more about Belgian football than many & so that is a market we might explore, just don’t think there will be a fixed route.

8 hours ago, Red_Alligator said:

I assume with no disrespect to Jock Rae, that he was a "one man band" with a small number of very poorly paid local scouts.

A very haphazard part of the club, probably like so many other clubs. Sometimes it all fell into place and we got a lot of good young ones together but there were very sparse periods. It was rumored that he could be a bit dogmatic and wasn't open to others opinions.

Now the scouting I guess is much more clinical and probably data based much more than actually watching them play. If I'm wrong on that, I stand to be corrected.

I suspect in our case at this time that NP wants particular person(s) who are not available. And he may well have already drawn up a list of contenders for the four/five he wants for this Summer's recruitment. 

A bit early to start panicking. I suspect things will pick up after play off finals, during June.

4 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I'm kinda going from past things with this where fans have basically gone to war over managers having too much control, too much of a say so and basically meaning should something happen (say we start next season awfully) that means NP leaves, we're back to square one, having to start all over again. 

I mean I may have got that wrong, but post GJ nepotism I seem to recall fans and the club not wanting to repeat that, yet here we are after an MA dynasty, trying to fix up an NP dynasty. 

Incredibly as a club we don't seem to learn this basic lesson and becomes rinse and repeat and very disappointing. 

However that may just be me. 

I think you're ignoring all context. It's clear you have a problem with Pearson which also skews your opinion.

The context of the situation; an unusual season, an unusual window, different budgets, a huge clear out of players and a weak squad.

I think the most likely explanation is concern within the club that a new DoF would take time to bed in and may have very different ideas to Pearson/the recruitment team about what we need. This could slow things down dramatically and allows other clubs to steal a march on us.

Because of this context - Pearson is going to take control of recruitment in the short term whilst we spend time finding the right man long term.

Makes complete sense and is actually quite a sensible decision. 

Archived