IGNORED

Weimann's contract

NcnsBcfc

Is this new ? I was under the impression that he was in talks (as was Simpson) when the list of players released was announced last week. Surely this  itself implies that we didn’t trigger the one year extension and were talking about a different contract.

Is this just a rehashed story or have I missed something??

19 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Love OTIB. I think back to the many match day threads (when he was playing) when fans would be commenting on him running around but not offering anything to the team or not linking up well with anyone. 

How views change.

That's because we've had a year of nobody running around!

5 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Why can't this just be about money?

I'd have thought that was a far likely explanation myself

I think you are spot on. It is got to be to do with money. My worry is what sort of budget has Lansdown given Pearson. How will Pearson, who has to rebuild a  whole squad let alone a team, achieve this if   Lansdown wants it done on the cheap.

Would like to keep him purely for his experience and work rate to help drive the team forward. Difference was definitely noticed in team performance after he was injured. 

I can see why both parties may part ways but hopefully both can come to an agreement.

if we do part ways however, I think it’s essential to replace these OOC players that would have had good sale value, with other frees with potentially good sale value based on age and ability to soften the blow of not generating any transfer money. We have the wage budget so I hope we will be competing for the best FOC players out there 

Just now, Redrascal2 said:

I think you are spot on. It is got to be to do with money. My worry is what sort of budget has Lansdown given Pearson. How will Pearson, who has to rebuild a  whole squad let alone a team, achieve this if   Lansdown wants it done on the cheap.

If post-pandemic wages are half or less than before the pandemic, we may be looking for total value.  This might be cheap but experienced or young and promising with a view to sell on.  This must be forged into a competitive team and have prospects for development into a promotion chasing team within the three years of NP's contract.  I would expect him to have a cunning plan. Let's hope so!

I'm a bit shocked that we've not decided to trigger the option to extend the contract but hope we can come to an agreement he is imo a NP type of player. 

Someone who will run for the full 90, show commitment and yes his record wasn't the best but his drive and determination was hugely missed by us this season. 

47 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I'm nearly 100 percent sure that we cant offer a new contract when one has been offered at a higher rate of pay, whilst the player has been employed in the same role on that different rate as it breaks some  employment laws. 

There'd have to be a substantial difference to be able to go, lower. 

Happy to be corrected though. 

I very much doubt he has a contract offer on the table at a higher rate of pay. ?

Very much expect the offer on the table is >1 year at less wages, e.g. 2yrs at £12k, whereas he’s currently on (guess) £18-20k.  The option held will more than likely be a year at £18-20k.  It is possible for the option year to be different terms to the existing wage….it’s not always an automatic “add one year”, it will be whatever terms we’re agreed in the initial contract.

I don’t know employment law about offering more than one contract concurrently.

Re wage reduction, Taylor Moore halved his wages to extend the term, e.g. 100% / 1 year to 50% / 2 years.

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

If post-pandemic wages are half or less than before the pandemic, we may be looking for total value.  This might be cheap but experienced or young and promising with a view to sell on.  This must be forged into a competitive team and have prospects for development into a promotion chasing team within the three years of NP's contract.  I would expect him to have a cunning plan. Let's hope so!

It just seems every bit of news we hear makes the mountain that Pearson has to climb that much bigger. Shorn of recruitment support and now of funds and of more players, I am hoping he has a plan that is cunning and miraculous. Hears hoping.

1 minute ago, Redrascal2 said:

It just seems every bit of news we hear makes the mountain that Pearson has to climb that much bigger. Shorn of recruitment support and now of funds and of more players, I am hoping he has a plan that is cunning and miraculous. Hears hoping.

He will know exactly what he needs to do, in terms of recruitment.  He said he is looking for pace, strength and fitness.  He should have a shopping list of likely suspects and the recruitment team at his disposal will have copious records that can be matched against the list.  Have faith. All we need to do is to survive next season with younger developing players assisted by experienced role models so that they can push on in the season that follows. 

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

I would hope that if Weimann decides against the new offer the club will trigger the one year option. I assume there is still plenty of time to do this - June 30th I believe ?

I hope it gets sorted as he was sorely missed last season.

Its an employers market. Supply and demand has tipped towards the clubs and the players have to accept it

Maybe Pearson wants someone who will be here for more than one year, even if he rates them? If you're building a team you need people who you can be reasonably sure are committed. I don't mean to say Weimann wouldn't try his hardest for that year of course, he's a great pro, but I wonder if that factors into the decision from the club now more than it has in the past.

If the choice was a player who will leave after 1, the same player for 2, or a new player for 2/3... that first situation is the worst option in my mind. Maybe they just don't want to activate the year.

2 hours ago, ncnsbcfc said:

It may well be, that although we all think that there should be/will be 5-6 signings in this window. Maybe there will only be a couple, and the gaps in the squad will be filled with this season's under 23s until revenue streams increase again.

If AW leaves and we only sign a couple then NP is gonna be leading a scrap against relegation next season. So I hope you aren't right. 

Surely the fact AW has just missed most of a season with an ACL injury will impact on what clubs will offer him. Look at Mawson - there will be less risky options than a 30yo who hasn't played since a serious injury. I would like Weimann to stay but can see why we are offering less, even without the C19 effect. 

2 hours ago, Loco Rojo said:

Love OTIB. I think back to the many match day threads (when he was playing) when fans would be commenting on him running around but not offering anything to the team or not linking up well with anyone. 

How views change.

I still think that in all Fairness - yep cannot doubt the effort and work rate but the end product is not always consistent 

1 hour ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

The current contract, plus potential extension is the higher rate Dave

Afaik, you cant whilst that exists offer a new contract for the same job on lower terms whilst that current contract or possible extension exists or is active. 

There has to be a significant change in role for that to be able to happen. 

Ta….got you.

I guess the club may have already served notice that they will not be exercising the option, therefore there is no “potential” extension in the equation.

I’m led to believe (no assurity though) that typically the option will have a 3 month notice period.  Coincidentally, Soady, Britton, and Cundy all exercised theirs on 31st March.  Eliasson was exercised in Jan 2020, etc.  So perhaps that has passed already, but a bit on 2+2=4 or 5 from me!

5 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I'm nearly 100 percent sure that we cant offer a new contract when one has been offered at a higher rate of pay, whilst the player has been employed in the same role on that different rate as it breaks some  employment laws. 

There'd have to be a substantial difference to be able to go, lower. 

Happy to be corrected though. 

Not in this scenario. If we laid him off only to the re employ him that would break employment law.

We'll not formally offer anything until 1st July I guess?

He ain't worth £20k p.w, so happy we have not signed up to paying him that. Yes he runs himself into the ground and shows good movement, but the end product is often not there, very few assists and not enough goals for the positions he gets in. Great at clever headers, but his shooting from more than 18 yards is woeful. Offers little help to his full back when played wide, because he naturally drifts in field anyway.

That said can see him being a useful squad member, so no issue with him accepting a big pay cut and staying.

I'm also very doubtful any other top half championship side will want him.

I feel like we missed he energy, but his leadership more. To me he was instrumental to our pressing both by example and signaling others when to press. Of course I could be wrong -  would be Interesting if there were some stats on that. 

??alarms sound at @Davefevs's house... He slides down a pole and rushes to his Stat den ??

Like AW, but he is a player who has been out with a serious injury, which may affect his future levels or make him more injury prone, add to this the likely reduction in wages of player contracts, you have to look at is AW value, or can you bring in better for those wages. I think a reduced contract is the right way to offer him.

If the post covid situation follows with a re-alignment of players wages, having so many OOC players could put us in a very strong position. Unlike a few glass half full on here, I do not see this as a reduction in NP's budget by SL, but seeing how we can best spend the money we have.

6 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

Slow down, no one has said he is short of funds except a few on here making unsubstantiated assumptions.

24 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

I feel like we missed he energy, but his leadership more. To me he was instrumental to our pressing both by example and signaling others when to press. Of course I could be wrong -  would be Interesting if there were some stats on that. 

??alarms sound at @Davefevs's house... He slides down a pole and rushes to his Stat den ??

It’s not a den….it’s a cave. The stat cave.

1 hour ago, BCFC Richard said:

I did some stuff earlier in the season where I showed the positions Weimann and Paterson won the ball back, e.g. much higher up the pitch than after the got injured.

Forest (a), 10 ball recoveries, 5 deep in Forest half, 8 interceptions.

Archived