IGNORED

Weimann's contract

NcnsBcfc

I feel very sorry for these footballers who have seen the gravy train crash. Unless he can secure a contract at one of the relegated clubs, it seems unlikely to me that weimann will get close to his existing salary.

I understand that nick powell is out if contract, if we could get him in as a goalscoring attacking midfielder on weimanns salary, then id be up for that.

7 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

I feel very sorry for these footballers who have seen the gravy train crash. Unless he can secure a contract at one of the relegated clubs, it seems unlikely to me that weimann will get close to his existing salary.

I understand that nick powell is out if contract, if we could get him in as a goalscoring attacking midfielder on weimanns salary, then id be up for that.

Having seen Stoke’s accounts today, I can only imagine that they must be in embargo territory or very close, potentially having EFL ratify any contracts / signings.

Powell is a top player.  I’d discounted him being an option, not because I don’t think we could afford wages, more because Pearson had him as a loanee from MU at Leicester, and thought his attitude was piss-poor.  It’s fair to say, Powell has grown up since those days.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Having seen Stoke’s accounts today, I can only imagine that they must be in embargo territory or very close, potentially having EFL ratify any contracts / signings.

Their wage has come down massively from like 30 million from two seasons ago ! 

Edit: Nearly 40m! 

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

If Weimann goes then I see Millwall or Barnsley as clubs he might end up at

If its because we cant agree contract terms I would argue that Barnsley (who supposedly had the second lowest budget) and Millwall would not be able to match what we can.

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Powell is a top player.  I’d discounted him being an option, not because I don’t think we could afford wages, more because Pearson had him as a loanee from MU at Leicester, and thought his attitude was piss-poor.  It’s fair to say, Powell has grown up since those days.

Being reported this evening that Stoke are going to go down the selling their ground route to avoid failing FFP.

What a farce this all is.

20 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Being reported this evening that Stoke are going to go down the selling their ground route to avoid failing FFP.

Sell as in to themselves? Will probably be given a free pass by the EFL to do so. Having encouraged other clubs to the same they can hardly object.

Until a big enough club goes out of business the reckless financial management will continue.

As Gareth Southgate said, I love the game but don't like the business.

13 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Sell as in to themselves? Will probably be given a free pass by the EFL to do so. Having encouraged other clubs to the same they can hardly object.

Until a big enough club goes out of business the reckless financial management will continue.

As Gareth Southgate said, I love the game but don't like the business.

I agree.

Of all the clubs likely to go out of business however, Stoke are not one of them.

Could someone answer a few questions for me please?

As we have an option on Andi, if we exercise that option, he doesn't leave the club but we have to carry on paying him at the same rate as now? This would then make him available on a free in 12 months?

If he signs a deal, now, on reduced terms, does that supersede the 'option' year?

Finally, if, as appears, we will exercise the years' option, can Andi turn it down and leave on a free now?

Thanks.

37 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Could someone answer a few questions for me please?

As we have an option on Andi, if we exercise that option, he doesn't leave the club but we have to carry on paying him at the same rate as now?

if we exercise the option, we have to pay him the rate for year 4 that was agreed up-front in the initial contract for the extra year.  Typically that will be another year at his current wage.  But his contract could’ve stipulated a pay rise in year 4 out of loyalty for example.  It’s not unusual in younger player contracts for annual increases to be part of the contract.  We just don’t know.

This would then make him available on a free in 12 months?

Yep.  So we weigh up paying him (guess) £1m this season and walk for nothing next summer, or offering something else, which we appear to have done.

If he signs a deal, now, on reduced terms, does that supersede the 'option' year?

Yes.  I can only imagine we have NOT triggered the option, the date by which the trigger has to be offered has passed and we are in a situation where he either accepts the current offer (allegedly 2yrs on much reduced wage than he’s currently on / was part of the option) or he walks for free on 30th June. 

Finally, if, as appears, (does it?) we will exercise the years' option, can Andi turn it down and leave on a free now?

No, if we exercise the club option, then he can’t turn it down.  He is contracted to us for another year.  He can of course be transferred to another club like any normal transfer.

Thanks.

Hope that makes sense SJ.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

That would be the pisstake  to end all pisstakes. And there’s been a few. 

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Nice one Dave, many thanks.

Seems financially daft, to me, not to exercise the option, even if we then sell him.

I guess the theory is, nobody will want to pay a fee and we are lumbered with an unhappy player costing us £20k p.w.

Archived