IGNORED

Weimann's contract

NcnsBcfc

Some have touched on this but it won't just be about the contract - he came to us because Johnson promised him a role as a striker and said as much in his first interviews. If Pearson doesn't see him as a striker, he's unlikely to be comfortable with a 2 year deal or more.

When he came in, I was under the impression he was going to take on Bobby Reid's role in pressing and getting more goals from playing higher up the pitch. I don't think there was any expectation he would score as many goals as Reid did in that one season. There seemed to be method in the madness of using his strengths to play him in a position he wasn't being played in at Derby though. (This is the kind of transfer I expect Pearson is talking about when he says he wants to be clever in the transfer market, I also fully expect at least one senior player to come in with a view to taking a coaching role, just so there can be an injection of leadership in the dressing room.)

As for Weimann, there will be different things motivating him such as the style of play the manager wants, his role in that, the players he would be playing with, what's expected of him off the pitch - if he can find the right balance here or elsewhere, money doesn't have to be the be all and end all.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Saw online a claim/rumour that Weimann medical at Stoke on Tuesday- definitely not ITK but has anyone heard anything??

Source being the Stoke forum.

Let’s be honest wouldn’t be a surprise.

One of the likes of Boro, Forest or Stoke would be my guess.

Don’t expect him to stay, think someone will offer him more than we have.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Saw online a claim/rumour that Weimann medical at Stoke on Tuesday- definitely not ITK but has anyone heard anything??

Source being the Stoke forum.

Wouldn’t at all be surprised by this. Holden link, Stoke will offer more money, deafening silence from the club etc.

I think he’s off.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Let’s be honest wouldn’t be a surprise.

One of the likes of Boro, Forest or Stoke would be my guess.

Don’t expect him to stay, think someone will offer him more than we have.

Thought Stoke were under some kinda embargo though, embargoes tend to limit the cash that can be offered- ie new signing free but no signing on fee, no wage greater than £x.

At least two of those listed are in a worse FFP position than us so how can they be outbidding us?

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

Wouldn’t at all be surprised by this. Holden link, Stoke will offer more money, deafening silence from the club etc.

I think he’s off.

Yeah, the silence, plus Holden link isn't a good sign.

6 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Would be a shame, but I'm sure NP will only want players who are 100% committed to the club. 

Yeah, I’ll be sad to see Andi go. I think he’s worth breaking the bank for a 1/2 year deal...

Just now, Lew-T said:

Yeah, I’ll be sad to see Andi go. I think he’s worth breaking the bank for a 1/2 year deal...

Have to say I massively disagree. His stock seems to have risen as he didn’t play much during the poor run last year and so hasn’t been tarnished as some were but at that kind of money I’m happy for Nige to reinvest elsewhere tbh. Good player but should be plenty of those around now and the circa £20k a week could pay the wages of 2 half decent signings.   

7 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Don't think we'll be breaking the bank for anyone mate. Either players want to be here or they don't. This is the start of a journey, get involved or see you later, I think, will be the message. 

10 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I want him to stay but I don’t think we can gamble breaking the bank on a player who has just had a serious injury. No guarantees he will return the same player. He’s a very useful squad player and over a 46 game season will no doubt cover a few different positions so would be worth keeping if it was possible.

breaking the bank for him though? Not for me. NP also eluded to that being the type of thing he doesn’t want to do.

14 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

I want him to stay but I don’t think we can gamble breaking the bank on a player who has just had a serious injury. No guarantees he will return the same player. He’s a very useful squad player and over a 46 game season will no doubt cover a few different positions so would be worth keeping if it was possible.

breaking the bank for him though? Not for me. NP also eluded to that being the type of thing he doesn’t want to do.

Think that’s the issue, do you gamble a 2 year deal on an ACL?

3 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

I think in this instance, if it’s on reduced wages with AW worth the gamble for sure. Paying big bucks to keep him? Not worth the gamble no.

The rumour is City wanted to spread the wages over 2 years, i.e. halve his wages.

53 minutes ago, lenred said:

Have to say I massively disagree. His stock seems to have risen as he didn’t play much during the poor run last year and so hasn’t been tarnished as some were but at that kind of money I’m happy for Nige to reinvest elsewhere tbh. Good player but should be plenty of those around now and the circa £20k a week could pay the wages of 2 half decent signings.   

You could also say our form started dipping drastically after he was injured. Him and Paterson were integral to our positive start to the season imo. 

13 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

I think in this instance, if it’s on reduced wages with AW worth the gamble for sure. Paying big bucks to keep him? Not worth the gamble no.

I don’t feel it is a massive gamble. Knee surgery has advanced so much in the last 20 years that he is likely to come back fitter and stronger with how rehabbing goes nowadays. 

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The rumour is City wanted to spread the wages over 2 years, i.e. halve his wages.

That is ridiculous to be honest. Should have just released him if that was the case. I’d find that borderline insulting if I was Weimann. 

Think Weimann would be very handy to keep around. Not saying on his original wage but if he’d accept 20-30% less with covid in mind, I’d do that quite quickly for 2 years plus a team option if possible. He may lack some polish but he is a consumate professional that does not let his standards drop. We are going to need that next season. We’ll see how the window plays out but think we could be over thinking the Weimann situation

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Seems fair given his recent injury and I guess it ultimately comes down to the best interests of the club. I have no doubt AW will get a better offer elsewhere as providing he’s over his injury he is a good free transfer for any champ club.

7 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

You could also say our form started dipping drastically after he was injured. Him and Paterson were integral to our positive start to the season imo. 

I don’t feel it is a massive gamble. Knee surgery has advanced so much in the last 20 years that he is likely to come back fitter and stronger with how rehabbing goes nowadays. 

That is ridiculous to be honest. Should have just released him if that was the case. I’d find that borderline insulting if I was Weimann. 

Think Weimann would be very handy to keep around. Not saying on his original wage but if he’d accept 20-30% less with covid in mind, I’d do that quite quickly for 2 years plus a team option if possible. He may lack some polish but he is a consumate professional that does not let his standards drop. We are going to need that next season. We’ll see how the window plays out but think we could be over thinking the Weimann situation

Yep it’s a moot point re AW (massively disagree re JP). Not denying he’d be good to keep but my point was that I  don’t think he’s worth anywhere near those wages, especially in the current climate and with his injury,  but we will see how he goes this year wherever he ends up. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I think I read he's on 22k a week. So over a million a year.

I think that is far too much for Weimann imo. Especially coming back from a very bad injury

15 & 16 goal contributions in the last two full seasons. Consistently covers the most distance during games. 

I think that + his huge experience would make selling him stupidity imo. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I think I read he's on 22k a week. So over a million a year.

I think that is far too much for Weimann imo. Especially coming back from a very bad injury

Amazing how much bang average can earn these days.

Just now, Northern Red said:

Do you think he's average and don't understand what he does?

You've not said....

I just don't see what all the fuss is about. He can be easily replaced on probably half that wage.

Another high earner potentially off the wage bill. Weimann's an honest pro with a good work-rate, but renewing his deal on £22k a week after he's been out with an ACL for the best part of a year and the fact he's going to be 30 in a few weeks is mental. If he doesn't want to re-sign, see ya later. 

9 hours ago, glynriley said:

Don't think we'll be breaking the bank for anyone mate. Either players want to be here or they don't. This is the start of a journey, get involved or see you later, I think, will be the message. 

Whilst I agree, I think it is simplistic to say Weimann doesn’t want to be on the journey, he has always given everything when he’s played, but if the rumour of effectively a 50% pay cut is true, he is perfectly entitled to seek better terms elsewhere.

This has all come about for 2 reasons, Ashton’s mismanagement of the contract situation with our players & more unexpectedly, the financial fall out from Covid meaning these levels of pay are even less sustainable.

Make no mistake though, Weimann (unlike others who have gone this summer) will be a big loss & getting a replacement of his calibre on lower wages a real challenge.

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Whilst I agree, I think it is simplistic to say Weimann doesn’t want to be on the journey, he has always given everything when he’s played, but if the rumour of effectively a 50% pay cut is true, he is perfectly entitled to seek better terms elsewhere.

This has all come about for 2 reasons, Ashton’s mismanagement of the contract situation with our players & more unexpectedly, the financial fall out from Covid meaning these levels of pay are even less sustainable.

Make no mistake though, Weimann (unlike others who have gone this summer) will be a big loss & getting a replacement of his calibre on lower wages a real challenge.

Depends where the market level for wages for a player like Weimann settles post-covid. It does seem like there is a big change underway and the median Championship salary for contracts signed from 2021 on is going to come down a lot.

FWIW I think club are doing the right thing here. Weimann is decent. And can be really good on his day. But he's a player I feel whose reputation has been benefited by his absence. And if he is on a million quid a year, I think the club assuming that there are better ways to spend that wage through the squad is probably right.

As you say, if Weimann can go elsewhere and make his old money, fair enough and he should absolutely do that. If he leaves, he'll be fondly remembered and can't imagine anyone would have an issue with him. But, similarly, I don't think we should have an issue with the club for making this call. (Assuming all the rumours and floated salaries are about right)

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think 10-12k is a generous wage for Weimann but he'll be looking for 14-16 elsewhere.

What I don't understand in this is how a club who lost £91.6m in 2019/20 and don't have parachute payments can afford to offer Weimann better terms than we can. Granted, the Coates family is richer than the Lansdowns but is that it?

If that's anything to go by, it indicates that wages for average players at this level aren't going to be much lower than their pre-pandemic levels. 

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Sensible post.

1 hour ago, the1stknowle said:

Depends where the market level for wages for a player like Weimann settles post-covid. It does seem like there is a big change underway and the median Championship salary for contracts signed from 2021 on is going to come down a lot.

FWIW I think club are doing the right thing here. Weimann is decent. And can be really good on his day. But he's a player I feel whose reputation has been benefited by his absence. And if he is on a million quid a year, I think the club assuming that there are better ways to spend that wage through the squad is probably right.

As you say, if Weimann can go elsewhere and make his old money, fair enough and he should absolutely do that. If he leaves, he'll be fondly remembered and can't imagine anyone would have an issue with him. But, similarly, I don't think we should have an issue with the club for making this call. (Assuming all the rumours and floated salaries are about right)

Another sensible post.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

I think 10-12k is a generous wage for Weimann but he'll be looking for 14-16 elsewhere.

I’m sure he is. His challenge will be getting someone to take a 2 year risk on those wages on the back of an ACL where he’s yet to return to playing.  I can’t imagine he is after a 1 year deal.

45 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't think Weimann's stats are particularly great. Not bad though. He's a decent player. I don't think he's worth any more than we are rumoured to be offering him.

22k is far too much imo and we are rightly choosing not to trigger his year option and offering him far less. We aren't selling him. I guess he is like a free agent now so we might be competing with Stoke. I assume that's how it works. 

What stats in particular?  Just goals and assists?  Don’t forget, he’s played half of his City apps in midfield / wide-man.  The remaining half it’s normally been as more of a secondary striker, playing second fiddle to Fam.

Other stats like ball recoveries / recoveries in opposition half were very important under Holden until injury.

Obviously we don’t get to see his running / running intensity data.  The Bundesliga publish this info - nice.

Archived