IGNORED

Weimann's contract

NcnsBcfc

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

That Weimann video he made showing his recovery from injury and how he now looks fit made me think he's doing that for other clubs to see.

A bit like how Owen Hargreaves made a video many years ago when looking for a move.

Agreed. Pretty sure he’ll end up at Cardiff.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I think the poster means goals and assists. Just saying that's not a reason to extend his 22k a week contract by a year. As it doesn't stand out as being particularly great. Not that I look into those kind of stats much. Matty Taylor probably had better goals and assists per minute in 18/19 season so of course we can't just look at those stats. I don't think Pearson would really look into any stats much when making these decisions anyway.

I agree on that point.

Taylor is a moot point as he played either as a striker / secondary striker in every appearance…..Weimann didn’t…..so can’t really be compared.

I think AW will leave and join the ranks of ex-City players that will come back to bite us on the arse when they line up for their new teams against us next season.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

I think AW will leave and join the ranks of ex-City players that will come back to bite us on the arse when they line up for their new teams against us next season.

Maybe.

Difference here is I’m not sure what we can do.

The consensus is we cannot afford his current terms, so he is free to go elsewhere.

I rate him & think we are a better side with him in it, but don’t think we have too much option.

For what it’s worth I’m struggling to think of many who have returned to Ashton Gate to “haunt” us, most of the better ones, Webster, Reid & Bryan have gone to the Prem..

Yes he might do but it's very straightforward - we can't afford him. There's a reason we're being linked with buying players from L1 clubs! 

AW will be a big miss for his work rate alone. Before his injury he looked sharp and gave the defence a forward pass option of hit the ball into space and AW would chase it all day with good results. We missed that kind of energy last season. 
I hope that we can come to some sort of agreement with him. Since joining city he has scored more goals than at another club he played for has assists are really missed an all round good asset.  Wage demands are going to be have to set at realistic levels following COVID 19 so players are going to offered reduced terms which they will have to except. I afraid high wages are becoming a thing of the past. 

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Maybe.

Difference here is I’m not sure what we can do.

The consensus is we cannot afford his current terms, so he is free to go elsewhere.

I rate him & think we are a better side with him in it, but don’t think we have too much option.

For what it’s worth I’m struggling to think of many who have returned to Ashton Gate to “haunt” us, most of the better ones, Webster, Reid & Bryan have gone to the Prem..

I do agree re Weimann’s contract and, much as though I like him as a player we have to cut our financial cloth accordingly just now and if he thinks he can get better terms elsewhere then he will go.

what players are you talking about? not happened yet!

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yes he might do but it's very straightforward - we can't afford him. There's a reason we're being linked with buying players from L1 clubs! 

I wasn’t suggesting we break the bank to keep him. We have to face the harsh financial reality of post pandemic ( and post Ashton!) life and if we’ve offered the best we can but it’s not good enough for him then he will go elsewhere.

I can’t help but think there must be many other clubs in much the same position ( or worse) than us. If so, then might a few players be in for a rude awakening when negotiating terms with prospective new clubs? I suppose out of contract players will be able to secure better contracts as the new club can factor in a decent signing on fee, as they won;t be paying a transfer fee,but it does seem that clubs are releasing a lot more players than normal for this time of the year, so it will be a buyers market.

10 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

AW will be a big miss for his work rate alone. Before his injury he looked sharp and gave the defence a forward pass option of hit the ball into space and AW would chase it all day with good results. We missed that kind of energy last season. 
I hope that we can come to some sort of agreement with him. Since joining city he has scored more goals than at another club he played for has assists are really missed an all round good asset.  Wage demands are going to be have to set at realistic levels following COVID 19 so players are going to offered reduced terms which they will have to except. I afraid high wages are becoming a thing of the past. 

While I agree his energy was missed before Holden ran him into the ground, your opinion is based on the assumption Weimann returns to full fitness and is the same player he was before injury.

City, or the vastly experienced Dave Rennie, are in the best position to judge that and I'd imagine our contract offer reflects that as much as our post-pandemic budget and FFP. Trigerring his one-year extension and paying him another £1m over the course of next season when he'll be 30 going on 31 is madness IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Aslanovic said:

Patchy info from an ex-player of ours who currently plays at Cardiff.

Cheers.  Interesting that they will pay him more than we will if that’s the case.  The BCFC to Cardiff player train rolls on possibly!  

Interested to see your maths also FullerMagic.

image.png.a9bc8eae139f3db75ce46a2b45cbb18e.png

Based on the rules being applied correctly and based on past precedent, there COULD be a cap on wages. I've read with certain embargoed sides £600k a year- unsure if that's case by case or universal. Doubts about whether signing on fees can be paid too, as well as Agents fees- I know Loan fees cannot! If things are being enforced correctly, then I'd be surprised if we couldn't outmatch £12k a week. In theory.

I've done some maths on the FFP thread- does it contain some guesswork, yes, does your position look desirable? On the face of it perhaps not! Left to me I'd enforce the Regs to the letter for all sides in respect of past, present and future info and not a penny less than compliance or face the consequences. I would be interested in your input into the figures as maybe the wages contained guesswork, ie maybe all the loans reduced more than I anticipated.

As for Weimann himself. Over 10 goals a season, some assists too- versatile ie up front but also out wide, I'd recommend him a) Central or failing that b) Right of a front 3, a winger definitely not, a wide midfielder? It depends.

Lot of energy, some clever early runs and not bad technically- big issue being the injury last season but generally has a strong availability record- though Stoke just seems like the place decent players go to slump tbh, Afobe, Woods to name 2- hell Jones and Rowett finished higher in the League than you. Jacob Brown had promise...were Davies and Lindsay not decently rated 2 summers back?

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You do your maths FullerMagic.

image.png.a9bc8eae139f3db75ce46a2b45cbb18e.png

Based on the rules being applied correctly and based on past precedent, there COULD be a cap on wages. I've read with certain embargoed sides £600k a year- unsure if that's case by case or universal. Doubts about whether signing on fees can be paid too, as well as Agents fees- I know Loan fees cannot!

I've done some maths on the FFP thread- does it contain some guesswork, yes, does your position look desirable? On the face of it perhaps not! Left to me I'd enforce the Regs to the letter for all sides in respect of past, present and future info and not a penny less than compliance or face the consequences. I would be interested in your input into the figures as maybe the wages contained guesswork, ie maybe all the loans reduced more than I anticipated.

Yeah, basically if on an embargo cannot pay more than £600k p.a. (Or pro-Rata).  Depending on squad size (24) they could be forced to sell before buying, and then limited to 75% of the outgoing players wages, with above limit.

6 hours ago, downendcity said:

Being linked with Stoke......https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/stoke-city-transfer-news-gossip-5499306?_ga=2.63249449.727380990.1622990702-1924930914.1622990702

Sometimes I’m at a loss to understand what is going on or more specifically what people think is going on. 

The club have/are in the process of taking up a pre agreed option to extend the contract of Andi Weimann. (The club have the option) 

The contract is already written so his wages are in the contract for the next year. HOWEVER If the club and Andi Weimann are in extended negotiations that would be a part of a new contract which may well be a new two/three year DEAL. Either way the player will want certain assurances as no matter what one or two plebs think he is a very good player and will want to be playing in a team that is challenging. 

The Simpson issue is completely different. As it is unlikely there are championship clubs interested and if there are they are likely to be strugglers or newly promoted. Simpsons deal will get done if Pearson wants him and it’s pretty clear he does!

9 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

The club have/are in the process of taking up a pre agreed option to extend the contract of Andi Weimann. (The club have the option) 

Well, thats good news.

Thanks for that.

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, basically if on an embargo cannot pay more than £600k p.a. (Or pro-Rata).  Depending on squad size (24) they could be forced to sell before buying, and then limited to 75% of the outgoing players wages, with above limit.

Thanks. Thought so.

Unless they've got Player Sales OR a significantly overvalued Stadium sale and leaseback lined up (make a realistic profit £12-13m which won't help that much) I don't quite see how they're suddenly reportedly in a position to get Evans and Weimann on a free indeed given a lot of those loanees have so far returned. When we with more headroom and 11 released appear not to have a pot to piss in, FFP wise.

Reach a no go, Mowatt too. Rob Atkinson on League One wages atm £2m too costly??

23, 24 man Senior squad size also a condition I've seen online but again maybe different terms based on circs.

8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Sometimes I’m at a loss to understand what is going on or more specifically what people think is going on. 

but we actually don’t know that is the case.  Club don’t have to exercise the option, it’s the club’s prerogative.  

The contract is already written so his wages are in the contract for the next year.

only if they exercise the option.  The rumour going round town is City have decided not to exercise, but would rather enter discussions for a totally new contract.

HOWEVER If the club and Andi Weimann are in extended negotiations that would be a part of a new contract which may well be a new two/three year DEAL.

The rumour is that City want to do a 2-year deal at half the wages.  I can understand both sides of this.  

Either way the player will want certain assurances as no matter what one or two plebs think he is a very good player and will want to be playing in a team that is challenging.

The Simpson issue is completely different. As it is unlikely there are championship clubs interested and if there are they are likely to be strugglers or newly promoted. Simpsons deal will get done if Pearson wants him and it’s pretty clear he does!

I think this will happen.

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

18 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

The contract is already written so his wages are in the contract for the next year. HOWEVER If the club and Andi Weimann are in extended negotiations that would be a part of a new contract which may well be a new two/three year DEAL. Either way the player will want certain assurances as no matter what one or two plebs think he is a very good player and will want to be playing in a team that is challenging. 

Are we looking likely to take up the option then? There have been conflicting reports on this.

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Are we looking likely to take up the option then? There have been conflicting reports on this.

No official news yet but to me AW is the type of player that Nige would like. Industrial, creative with a goal in him.

He could be an integral part of the rebuild.

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

1 We do know He was not released. How that process plays out is between the club and the player. On top of that Pearson has made it very clear who he wants  

2 The rumor of a contract extension is almost certainly true. The rumor of using leverage on not renewing, is entirely that!

3 The rumor that the club want to half his wages for a two/three year deal is Again just that. Will there be changes, of course. 

4 The club will have a finite period to take up their option. Weimann has an agent who is seeing what the market will bare in any circumstance and there will be a game of chicken I suspect as negotiations for an extension take place. The fact Pearson has made it so clear he wants the player gives him and the agent leverage too

5 its a pain responding to inline comments. 

6 Roll on the Euros. 

would we be really that desperate to take a gamble on a player coming back from an acl?  it went seriously tits up with Afobe, why risk it again?

i thought Andi was always giving 100%pre injury but think now its time to get someone else without the acl cloud hanging over them

37 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

On a sidenote, I do reading their views on Weimann and others, reckon Stoke fans are perhaps a bit entitled.

Even a thread criticising the Coates family, or something! Incredible that, I think they are and have been pretty great owners.

That's what happens when you spend a decade in the top flight and have won a few things in the past and had the likes of Stanley Matthews and Alan Hudson.

And let's be frank, apart from beautiful countryside around about save for the ugly carving cut up of the M6 corridor, Stoke and Burslem and all those other 5 towns are pretty ugly to be fair.

Entitlement by Stokies well, it's to be fully expected. Let them have their entitlement for they have bugger all else going.

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

That's what happens when you spend a decade in the top flight and have won a few things in the past and had the likes of Stanley Matthews and Alan Hudson.

And let's be frank, apart from beautiful countryside around about save for the ugly carving cut up of the M6 corridor, Stoke and Burslem and all those other 5 towns are pretty ugly to be fair.

Entitlement by Stokies well, it's to be fully expected. Let them have their entitlement for they have bugger all else going.

Fair points Hav.

Yeah, forgot about those.

Tbh I quite like Stoke in some ways- mean this in a good way in case any are reading, quite a working class city, fanbase might be somewhat as well- stand by view about excellent owners, not only for cash spent but free away travel and Season Tickets in at least one of the stands, don't know if it's all, held at 2008 prices. Gave a few of the PL big boys a Bloody Nose in the late 2000's onwards, especially with Delap and his massive long throws (something we handled, without many problems in October 2007 when we beat them at AG- albeit they went up in the end)!

Quite liked a story I read about Peter Coates too- all that cash but no yacht, no private jet- supporting Stoke City his priority, to the extent (if true) that when he was on a Winter holiday in Miami, finally took a Winter Holiday, he spent time searching for a bar showing Rochdale v Stoke in the Cup- and found one. Surprisingly for a billionaire, seems to be- everyone has own political views- a Labour man too. Surprising for a billionaire.

Pops... Have absolutely nothing against Stoke either. Very good friend is a Stokie.. we were in the same City the year they went up, Havana as it happens, and it was mightily enjoyable until that Lawrence goal.

The view I get is that Coates and his daughter and the family are rather revered owners. Similarities to us then in many ways. 

Releasing Pulis will always stick in my mind; bit like the Curbishly event and the 'time to kick on' remark at the Valley.

It was a slow decline after Pulis left. The fans got tired of him but they got the recruitment wrong or that was Stokes level; mid table. Be happy.

Archived