Jump to content

Weimann's contract


NcnsBcfc
 Share

Recommended Posts

I really like Weimann in terms of application and effort. 

However, from a statistical point of view, he doesn't bring eye-catching numbers. Perhaps 5-8 goals a season, and 5+ assists. 

20k a week seems abit steep for that statistical return. 

There are players who could match/better those stats, and earn less money per week. 

Add in the long-term injury (which can often re-occur), then I feel the club are well within their right to offer reduced terms. 

It's a shame as he seems a model professional. Yet, with Weimann approaching 30 and recovering from a long-term injury, it may be the correct time to seek an alternative replacement and save wages at the same time. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Sure - but if the club were boasting record high offers to Diedhiou - another player out of contract at the time - then I can see how Weimann could be aggrieved at now being asked to take a wage cut as the club is short of cash. Weimann has probably contributed more than Diedhiou during the time they have both been at the club...

*If* true, the Diedhiou just shows what a tool MA was. And yep, based on that I agree.

Taking that aside, I understand exactly what they are doing with Weimann. AW seems too intelligent to be that surprised (supposed FD offfer aside) that City didn't want to take up the one year option. Given that many Championship players are/or have been on artificlally high contracts City's valuation is probably close (but below) the market level. We'll see. I just hope they got a replacement lined up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I really like Weimann in terms of application and effort. 

However, from a statistical point of view, he doesn't bring eye-catching numbers. Perhaps 5-8 goals a season, and 5+ assists. 

20k a week seems abit steep for that statistical return. 

There are players who could match/better those stats, and earn less money per week. 

Add in the long-term injury (which can often re-occur), then I feel the club are well within their right to offer reduced terms. 

It's a shame as he seems a model professional. Yet, with Weimann approaching 30 and recovering from a long-term injury, it may be the correct time to seek an alternative replacement and save wages at the same time. 

 

 

His goals return is a bit better than that, and played a lot in wide positions and attacking midfield roles.

28908C05-C9F6-4651-A86C-4B55885D21E0.thumb.jpeg.583b70a85aa178338a0529988db54a6d.jpeg

If we can get a wide forward who can hit those numbers for £10k p.w. that will be great.  I have no problem if that’s Weimann either.  As you say, in these times, £20k p.w. we need more.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I really like Weimann in terms of application and effort. 

However, from a statistical point of view, he doesn't bring eye-catching numbers. Perhaps 5-8 goals a season, and 5+ assists. 

20k a week seems abit steep for that statistical return. 

There are players who could match/better those stats, and earn less money per week. 

Add in the long-term injury (which can often re-occur), then I feel the club are well within their right to offer reduced terms. 

It's a shame as he seems a model professional. Yet, with Weimann approaching 30 and recovering from a long-term injury, it may be the correct time to seek an alternative replacement and save wages at the same time. 

 

 

A lot of very good points there and make a lot of sense.  The problem I see is rather than upgrade players, we’ve had a bit of a habit of late of bringing in inferior replacements.  

Hopefully that’ll change with  MA gone, but considering we already have a massive rebuilding project on our hands, it’s a big risk unloading a player who would surely fit perfectly into NP’s style if play.

I really hope we aren’t displaying very short-sighted penny pinching, because if we are, I can’t see NP being around for very long.

On the other hand, it may just be as you say, that there are concerns that AW won’t be the same player post injury and could mean him being a very costly member on the treatment table.

We’re certainly going to miss the energy and professionalism of a fully fit Andi Weimann if we don’t find a suitable replacement.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

Weird wasn't it, the approach taken by MA?

Pre-Christmas, we're talking to people (Walsh, Fammy etc). Post Christmas, we're not having any discussions at all.

Then out of the blue, "We've offered Fammy one the biggest contracts in the history of the club". When saying that basically everyone else will have to take lower offers, or no contract at all.

Then when NP is appointed, SL does an interview saying he will be supported in building a new squad. We get rid/release 11 of our first team squad, many on high wages. We then turn around, and evidenced through the saga of AW, that we are really really cutting our cloth.

So many mixed messages from City over the last 6 months; that have just caused confusion no doubt amongst the players, and supporters alike.

Moving forward, our communication has got to improve. 

 

Mark Ashton is a charlatan and liar.  Anything he said must therefore be ignored.

If you disregard what came out of Mark Ashton's mouth, the messages have been consistent.

Edited by The Bard
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With Richard Keogh on a 24k contract at Derby it is most likely AW was on a high wage when we signed him. With our financial results due in a few days , people will see the extent of the horrific losses Steve L is sustaining. I doubt we can afford AW 1 year extension in the current context. Wages in the Championship are daft (and greatly messed up by the nonsense parachute payments) and some semblance of wage reset is needed . 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Are you going to be telling your boss on Monday that you aren’t in it for the money and will accept a pay cut? If not, don’t expect principles of others that you do not hold of yourself. 

That aside, there is a subtle but important distinction between money and value. If someone offered you £50, 000 a year to do a job then most people would see that as a very good salary but you’d feel differently if you were currently being paid £60, 000 a year to do the exact same thing and you’d feel differently again if you are getting £50, 000 and a mate doing the exact same job at the exact same company told you they were getting £55, 000.

If Weimann is being offered less money to do a job he is already doing for us - and his colleagues, who are not out of contract, are not getting a wage cut - the issue may be about not feeling valued rather than only caring about the money. The two are different things.

I've taken pay cuts to stay in work, twice.  Took a 60% cut for four months last year due to COVID, too.  

There are many factors at play here that you haven't considered.  

Weimann is a contractor. Contractors and their contracts are subject to market forces.  Weimann is contracted by an organisation that hasn't had customers for over a year. Probably won't have a full quota of customers for another year.  That organisation is losing money hand over fist and will continue to lose money hand over fist.  Any organisation in those shoes would be looking, when contracts come up for renewal, to start making efforts to cut costs. This is what is occurring here.  Doesn't matter what others are getting paid - they have longer on their contracts so aren't subject to renegotiation at this point.  When they come up for renewal - much like Fams - others will probably see similar moves by the club.   

Add in that Weimann hasn't played for a year, is getting older (and by consequence will suffer a drop in performance levels) then it should be blatantly obvious why the club is seeking to pay less.

If Weimann thinks he's being unfairly treated or worth more he should find somewhere else to play.

  • Like 9
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cityloyal473 said:

I've taken pay cuts to stay in work, twice.  Took a 60% cut for four months last year due to COVID, too.  

There are many factors at play here that you haven't considered.  

Weimann is a contractor. Contractors and their contracts are subject to market forces.  Weimann is contracted by an organisation that hasn't had customers for over a year. Probably won't have a full quota of customers for another year.  That organisation is losing money hand over fist and will continue to lose money hand over fist.  Any organisation in those shoes would be looking, when contracts come up for renewal, to start making efforts to cut costs. This is what is occurring here.  Doesn't matter what others are getting paid - they have longer on their contracts so aren't subject to renegotiation at this point.  When they come up for renewal - much like Fams - others will probably see similar moves by the club.   

Add in that Weimann hasn't played for a year, is getting older (and by consequence will suffer a drop in performance levels) then it should be blatantly obvious why the club is seeking to pay less.

If Weimann thinks he's being unfairly treated or worth more he should find somewhere else to play.

I am mystified why so few people seem to have grasped this.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Weimann was our biggest miss.

The bloke runs and runs, this ups our tempo (a serious problem for us without him as we have ome pace deceptively slow), he closes defenders and reduced there ability to hit long balls unchallenged (again a huge problem last season that we suffere from week after week) and gets goals wherever he plays upfront. (Tombola boy never had a scooby how or where, just enough to know his team where worse without him)
 

Pearson will do a lot to keep him and if they come to an agreement don’t be surprised if he is given more responsibility around the team. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I am mystified why so few people seem to have grasped this.  

Not picking on Weimann here, but as he’s the subject of this thread - a business with no customers has paid him in the region of one million Pounds in the past year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cityloyal473 said:

I've taken pay cuts to stay in work, twice.  Took a 60% cut for four months last year due to COVID, too.  

There are many factors at play here that you haven't considered.  

Weimann is a contractor. Contractors and their contracts are subject to market forces.  Weimann is contracted by an organisation that hasn't had customers for over a year. Probably won't have a full quota of customers for another year.  That organisation is losing money hand over fist and will continue to lose money hand over fist.  Any organisation in those shoes would be looking, when contracts come up for renewal, to start making efforts to cut costs. This is what is occurring here.  Doesn't matter what others are getting paid - they have longer on their contracts so aren't subject to renegotiation at this point.  When they come up for renewal - much like Fams - others will probably see similar moves by the club.   

Add in that Weimann hasn't played for a year, is getting older (and by consequence will suffer a drop in performance levels) then it should be blatantly obvious why the club is seeking to pay less.

If Weimann thinks he's being unfairly treated or worth more he should find somewhere else to play.

Totally agree.

I would imagine that a number of options across the football world have either not been activated or have been altered due to Covid.

AW is not in the strongest of positions here and I really doubt he will be inundated with offers on anything like the wage we’re are allegedly prepared to offer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can we please stop talking like 20k a week for a senior championship player is a lot, its average.  With all the parachute payments the 2019/2020 Average was close to 29K obviously that's an average and the teams who have yoyo can pay more, but 20K is not huge its the bottom middle end of the pay bands.  Obviously people are looking to cut back salaries to claw back some lost revenue, but Fulham, West Brom & Sheffield Utd will all still have decent cash reserves.  If you take a realists view we can't possibly compete on wages for senior players so we have to retain our good young players and hope to get out of this league that way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Can we please stop talking like 20k a week for a senior championship player is a lot, its average.  With all the parachute payments the 2019/2020 Average was close to 29K obviously that's an average and the teams who have yoyo can pay more, but 20K is not huge its the bottom middle end of the pay bands.  Obviously people are looking to cut back salaries to claw back some lost revenue, but Fulham, West Brom & Sheffield Utd will all still have decent cash reserves.  If you take a realists view we can't possibly compete on wages for senior players so we have to retain our good young players and hope to get out of this league that way.

Average Champ salary was around £15k pw.  But if you take the PP clubs out, it would push that down.  I agree re your point about how much a senior player gets though.  Just one big range of wages from the lowest to the highes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

I've taken pay cuts to stay in work, twice.  Took a 60% cut for four months last year due to COVID, too.  

There are many factors at play here that you haven't considered.  

Weimann is a contractor. Contractors and their contracts are subject to market forces.  Weimann is contracted by an organisation that hasn't had customers for over a year. Probably won't have a full quota of customers for another year.  That organisation is losing money hand over fist and will continue to lose money hand over fist.  Any organisation in those shoes would be looking, when contracts come up for renewal, to start making efforts to cut costs. This is what is occurring here.  Doesn't matter what others are getting paid - they have longer on their contracts so aren't subject to renegotiation at this point.  When they come up for renewal - much like Fams - others will probably see similar moves by the club.   

Add in that Weimann hasn't played for a year, is getting older (and by consequence will suffer a drop in performance levels) then it should be blatantly obvious why the club is seeking to pay less.

If Weimann thinks he's being unfairly treated or worth more he should find somewhere else to play.

Absolutely spot on. Look at some of the younger players coming through doing an equally decent job for a fraction of the money. To use your example of contractors-why pay someone four times more to pave your drive way for the same quality. Maybe the cause of some of the trouble in dressing room.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Berkshire Red said:

Any news on this one? Is he another free agent to leave the club then?

I was just thinking it's odd we've had no updates on Weimann or Danny Simpson. I'd like both to stay on. Without Simpson, we wouldn't even have a right back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Question is, who out there can offer similar to Weimann but possibly more return in terms of goals/assists that would cost less of a wage? There’s a challenge for all you statos to find....

Sammy Szmodics 🤷🏻‍♂️

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Selred said:

15 goals in 42 League One games.

Last season Weimann had 9 in 45 in Championship.

Not the same quality really.

But those stats from attacking midfield are still very decent, and if he hadn't already had a stint at the club would be enough to give him a look. Should've been given a proper run before being binned.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...