IGNORED

Your 26 man England Squad?

Unan

Your 26 man England Squad?  

147 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

PROVISIONAL 33-MAN ENGLAND SQUAD FOR EURO 2020

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Manchester United), Sam Johnstone (West Brom), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Sheffield United

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Conor Coady (Wolves), Ben Godfrey (Everton), Reece James (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City, Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid), Kyle Walker (Manchester City), Ben White (Brighton)

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (West Ham), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Leeds), Declan Rice (West Ham), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)

Forwards: Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Phil Foden (Man City), Jack Grealish (Aston Villa), Mason Greenwood (Manchester United), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Raheem Sterling (Man City), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa) 

1 hour ago, BCFC Grim said:

I was starting to get excited for this competition until I remember negative Southgate picks the squad. Two defensive Midfielders no matter who we play.

Agreed. At the very least, it looks like he's abandoned 3-5-2, with 2 defensive midfielders. I will cry if he goes back to that formation... 

• Admin
31 minutes ago, Super said:

What is the point of this Provisional squad? Just name the squad on June 1st.

It does seem odd but I would assume it is more to get the squad together for the game next week?

Far too many centre backs named in the squad, maybe just a bit of experience for fringe players ready for a future squad

I would hazard a guess that the 7 who won't make the cut will be Ramsdale, Trent, White, Ward-Prowse, Saka, Watkins and Godfrey. 

There is no way Southgate will cut Trippier from the squad so that means Trent won't make the final 26 in my opinion.

43 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I would hazard a guess that the 7 who won't make the cut will be Ramsdale, Trent, White, Ward-Prowse, Saka, Watkins and Godfrey. 

There is no way Southgate will cut Trippier from the squad so that means Trent won't make the final 26 in my opinion.

Will be a travesty if Trent misses out. Unbelievable player that should be a mainstay in any England starting 11 moving forwards. 

He's had a poor season supposedly, yet still managed the more G/A as a right back than anyone else in the PL, for the third consecutive season. 22 years old FFS.

Get him in the 11 and make it work. For what its worth agree he will cut Trent from the squad, will go with his 2018 cohort Trippier, Lingard etc. 

Southgate is such a weak manager. Selecting a 33 man squad sums him up perfectly. 

6 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

Will be a travesty if Trent misses out. Unbelievable player that should be a mainstay in any England starting 11 moving forwards. 

He's had a poor season supposedly, yet still managed the more G/A as a right back than anyone else in the PL, for the third consecutive season. 22 years old FFS.

Get him in the 11 and make it work. For what its worth agree he will cut Trent from the squad, will go with his 2018 cohort Trippier, Lingard etc. 

Southgate is such a weak manager. Selecting a 33 man squad sums him up perfectly. 

FWIW although I would take Trent, Trippier has just been in a La Liga winning side and Walker - in addition to being able to play in a 3 - has played in the Prem winning side. With both having turned up and done it in 2018 then it looks like either TAA or Reece James.

I don’t think picking Walker or Trippier in the squad is inherently wrong, I just think the depth at RB is insane - every side in the premier leagues top fours first choice RB is English and so is the Spanish champions. That’s never happened in my recollection - and when you think that the proportion of English starters in the prem is, what, 40%?, it makes the stat even more nuts

19 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

FWIW although I would take Trent, Trippier has just been in a La Liga winning side and Walker - in addition to being able to play in a 3 - has played in the Prem winning side. With both having turned up and done it in 2018 then it looks like either TAA or Reece James.

I don’t think picking Walker or Trippier in the squad is inherently wrong, I just think the depth at RB is insane - every side in the premier leagues top fours first choice RB is English and so is the Spanish champions. That’s never happened in my recollection - and when you think that the proportion of English starters in the prem is, what, 40%?, it makes the stat even more nuts

Even taking 3 RBs is a bit much IMO. Realistically, we only need 2 - even in case of injuries, it's probably the one position in the team where many in the team can play reasonably well

33 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

Presumably it's because those players are getting together this week. With so many still involved in CL / EL final, I guess he's made this announcement to get more people together incase he has any drop outs from those finals?

Get them in as early as possible just in case, and if not they will still gain experience from being around the squad

47 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

Couldn't agree more, Trent is one of the few players we need to build a team around.

Problem being the poor manager and his rigid system, it will cost us this summer. We have the players to play the Liverpool way and knock the opposition out the park!

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

I think i'd take Watkins over Greenwood.

1 hour ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Agreed. At the very least, it looks like he's abandoned 3-5-2, with 2 defensive midfielders. I will cry if he goes back to that formation... 

You might not be a fan of Southgate, but in the last world cup, where we reached the semi final for the first time in 28 years, we only played with one sitting midfielder (Henderson) in a 3-5-2. throughout the whole tournament, so this simply isn't correct. Lingard & Dele Alli started in midfield with Henderson.

And lets be honest, if Maguire doesn't make it, our only chance of success is to go back to a back three with Kyle Walker or Reece James in there, as if we go Coady or Mings in a two with Stones, we are getting beat in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, footie said:

Couldn't agree more, Trent is one of the few players we need to build a team around.

Problem being the poor manager and his rigid system, it will cost us this summer. We have the players to play the Liverpool way and knock the opposition out the park!

Sadly not, we don't have a keeper anywhere near as good as Allison, nor a centre half anywhere near as good as Van Dijk.

Southgate will either play 4231 or 352 depending on fitness, and for what it's worth, I think it's nailed on that Trent will be involved during the tournament.

Harsh on Maddison, and if TAA isn't in the final 26 then Southgate has lost the plot. Other than that, its a very strong squad in Midfield and Forward line, but our CB's worry me. Stones / Maguire preferred pairing but both flakey as fek on their day and their backups dont inspire me. Surely you gotta go balls out attack...

6 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Harsh on Maddison, and if TAA isn't in the final 26 then Southgate has lost the plot. Other than that, its a very strong squad in Midfield and Forward line, but our CB's worry me. Stones / Maguire preferred pairing but both flakey as fek on their day and their backups dont inspire me. Surely you gotta go balls out attack...

We're going to spend a hell of a lot of time defending, and it's Trent's weakness. Tifo did an excellent job breaking down the problems Trent has with defending, he'll undoubtedly address these issues and improve, but as of right now I can see why Southgate wouldn't pick him. He certainly shouldn't be starting over Walker. Like you say, our CBs are dodgy at best and need all the help they can get.

I would cut Ramsdale, Mings, Watkins, Trent, Chilwell, Sterling and Ward-Prowse based on that squad, having Saka cover LB and the forward lines. Not convinced by Trent's defending against the top sides, his performances against Real Madrid were painful to watch as he was clearly targeted by Zidane. The thought of Mbappe running at any of our defenders, but especially Trent, scares the sh*t out of me. Think Southgate will revert to his favourites for the squad proper though.

36 minutes ago, footie said:

It's the teams with the best defences that tend to win tournaments mind, look at Portugal at the last Euros. Obviously had some great attackers but they didn't play expansive, high energy football because it isn't really sustainable at an international tournament. There'll be exceptions to the rule, but don't think we've got the squad to play that style of football successfully across an entire tournament.

20 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Harsh on Maddison? He isn't as good as Grealish, Foden and Mount all in his position are better than him, bit pointless taking him really

24 minutes ago, KegCity said:

We're going to spend a hell of a lot of time defending, and it's Trent's weakness. Tifo did an excellent job breaking down the problems Trent has with defending, he'll undoubtedly address these issues and improve, but as of right now I can see why Southgate wouldn't pick him. He certainly shouldn't be starting over Walker. Like you say, our CBs are dodgy at best and need all the help they can get.

I would cut Ramsdale, Mings, Watkins, Trent, Chilwell, Sterling and Ward-Prowse based on that squad, having Saka cover LB and the forward lines. Not convinced by Trent's defending against the top sides, his performances against Real Madrid were painful to watch as he was clearly targeted by Zidane. The thought of Mbappe running at any of our defenders, but especially Trent, scares the sh*t out of me. Think Southgate will revert to his favourites for the squad proper though.

Focus on his positives. He is prob the best attacking full back in Europe. 

23 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Harsh on Maddison? He isn't as good as Grealish, Foden and Mount all in his position are better than him, bit pointless taking him really

I do agree, but he is a real talent. As you say we are rich in that position, as we are at right back. Nice problems to have i suppose !

Re TAA : Its not like Kyle Walker doesnt have a mistake in him in defence. If Henderson is fit and plays he can drop back to cover TAA when he goes forward. For me he gets in the team for his delivery alone. We wont win the Euros with restrained conservative football - we have too many talents who want to play football. May as well go for it i say

44 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

It’s not harsh on Maddison, he’s way off Grealish, Mount and Foden. It’s only ‘harsh’ up against Lingard in that they both had about 6 games spells this season where they were superb but Maddison has only featured once for England, is unfit and ended the season really poorly. It might buck up his ideas though.

1 minute ago, Super said:

Focus on his positives. He is prob the best attacking full back in Europe. 

Which amounts to nothing if his defensive frailties cost us. Not taking anything away from his crossing, but I don't believe it would outweigh the defensive issues that Trent brings in. Liverpool are set up to support their fullbacks defensively when they push forward, England aren't. I'd rather protect Maguire and Stones and have a stronger defensive unit instead of trading off considerable defensive stability for some crosses. His performances against Real Madrid showed exactly where his shortcomings are, and he'll continue to be targeted by the opposition until he addresses them.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

It does seem odd but I would assume it is more to get the squad together for the game next week?

Far too many centre backs named in the squad, maybe just a bit of experience for fringe players ready for a future squad

Size of the squad is surely a case no player in a European final will feature? So extra names drafted in for warm up games until they can play? 

1 minute ago, KegCity said:

Which amounts to nothing if his defensive frailties cost us. Not taking anything away from his crossing, but I don't believe it would outweigh the defensive issues that Trent brings in. Liverpool are set up to support their fullbacks defensively when they push forward, England aren't. I'd rather protect Maguire and Stones and have a stronger defensive unit instead of trading off considerable defensive stability for some crosses. His performances against Real Madrid showed exactly where his shortcomings are, and he'll continue to be targeted by the opposition until he addresses them.

You don't think he would be an option from the bench if we are struggling to break a team down? His performance away to United and the last few games have been fantastic. You can make a case for not starting him but its brainless not to have him in the squad.

Archived