IGNORED

Your 26 man England Squad?

Unan

Your 26 man England Squad?  

147 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

27 minutes ago, Super said:

You don't think he would be an option from the bench if we are struggling to break a team down? His performance away to United and the last few games have been fantastic. You can make a case for not starting him but its brainless not to have him in the squad.

He’s a good option, but I think there’s better out there on paper in terms of changing a game. 

Not trying to take away from Trent’s ability but he’s one like Grealish where they’ve clearly got the talent but don’t necessarily best fit the actual team. I don’t see where he gets minutes, unless we get an injury, so I’d personally give his spot to a different player. I’ve got nothing against him being in the squad, just think we’ll be a better team with a better defensive full back playing. My feelings on Trent are only going to change when I see him handle the pressure of being targeted by the opposition, he could show that at the Euros, but I’d rather not run the risk in a tournament. A handful of good performances at the end of the season, whilst encouraging, aren’t enough to change my mind yet.

That’s not to say Trent isn’t an option and wouldn’t bring something off the bench, just would rather introduce Rashford or Grealish off the bench ahead of him if we’re struggling. Obviously they do different jobs and I wouldn’t be complaining if he did come on, just wonder if he’s actually going to play.

25 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

This is why Maddison is not going to the Euros .... spending his time doing this.

Nothing to do with Mount, Grealish and Foden all being better than him? Don’t really get the issue with players doing adverts as long as they’re not distracting them from the game, which isn’t the case here as far as I’m aware?

3 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Let's be honest it's only the fringe players that there is any debate about.

The squad is good, bar the goalie, and if we have a poor tournament it won't be because Patrick Bamford wasn't on the bench to watch. 

The squad is good, bar the goalie and the back four.

It’s a fairly lazy accusation to bash TAA to say he is a poor defender. The guy is a Champions league winner and faced PSG, Barcelona and Bayern to win it. England are in the ridiculous position of having 4 quality right backs and they can’t all play. For me, I would leave out James (just) and take the other 3.

18 hours ago, KnowleUtd City said:

Sadly not, we don't have a keeper anywhere near as good as Allison, nor a centre half anywhere near as good as Van Dijk.

Southgate will either play 4231 or 352 depending on fitness, and for what it's worth, I think it's nailed on that Trent will be involved during the tournament.

Agree on the goalkeeper front, although I have to beg to differ on the centre half point due to the way they managed to play still with Phillips and Williams at the back!

I guess I am preparing myself for a summer of negative defensive football which is sadly not utilising what we have at our disposal.

Had an interesting chat with a few friends about this - the Euro 2004 squad (probably the strongest Euro squad since this one) compared to the 2021 squad.

image.thumb.png.0cc04f80a881000311663de4451e6059.png

This is the squad. The starting 11 looks strong. Average goalkeepers.

Of that squad I don't think Phil Neville, Bridge, Butt, Dyer, Heskey, Vassell, would get into the current squad maybe Hargreaves and Joe Cole too. There's also an argument to say Gary Neville wouldn't either due to our depth at right back. 

17 hours ago, KegCity said:

Which amounts to nothing if his defensive frailties cost us. Not taking anything away from his crossing, but I don't believe it would outweigh the defensive issues that Trent brings in. Liverpool are set up to support their fullbacks defensively when they push forward, England aren't. I'd rather protect Maguire and Stones and have a stronger defensive unit instead of trading off considerable defensive stability for some crosses. His performances against Real Madrid showed exactly where his shortcomings are, and he'll continue to be targeted by the opposition until he addresses them.

That's literally one game where he's struggled in recent months. Other than that he's been spot on in all aspects of his game, the second leg against Madrid he looked a complete different player from memory, going in both directions - best player on the pitch with an outrageous passing range. All of this with Nat Phillips and Rhys Williams as Liverpool's centre backs.

John Stones is a Champions League finalist. Harry Maguire cost Man United 80 million.  If that isn't enough protection then we may as well give up - why do we always have to be so negative as a nation.

Will be seriously disappointed if we don't really attack these Euros, we have a great opportunity here. Get Trent in that starting 11.

1 hour ago, ollywhyte said:

That's literally one game where he's struggled in recent months. Other than that he's been spot on in all aspects of his game, the second leg against Madrid he looked a complete different player from memory, going in both directions - best player on the pitch with an outrageous passing range. All of this with Nat Phillips and Rhys Williams as Liverpool's centre backs.

John Stones is a Champions League finalist. Harry Maguire cost Man United 80 million.  If that isn't enough protection then we may as well give up - why do we always have to be so negative as a nation.

Will be seriously disappointed if we don't really attack these Euros, we have a great opportunity here. Get Trent in that starting 11.

I can only point to the stats from the Tifo video I referenced earlier, of course he's a top player but when he's been targeted by the opposition he's struggled. The top teams will target him, his track record says he'll struggle. That's not to say he definitely will, but selection decisions are based on past performances.

I'm not trying to be negative, I'm trying to be realistic about international football where the style of football is considerably more defensive, and in the past its been the teams with the strongest defences that have won tournaments. In my view we have enough attacking strength in midfield and the forward lines to not be reliant on Trent's excellent crossing. I personally would rather have a stable, defensive minded back 4 that provides a platform for the forwards. Call me old fashioned, but a defender's job is primarily to defend, full backs aren't attackers starting further down the pitch. Trent's ball delivery is superb, but I'm not convinced that he's the best defender of the right backs in the squad. Of course Stones and Maguire are top players, but I'd like to see them with defensively sound full backs. I'm not saying Trent can't defend at all, but he does do things like stand square to his man or show them the wrong side of him on a consistent basis that causes concern, at least for me.

I won't be complaining if he does make the squad, or even if he starts, but I'd feel more confident with Walker or Trippier who have both had excellent seasons, rather than a good end to it. Whilst neither can play a ball like Trent but both are still very good offensively whilst also being defensively competent.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Had an interesting chat with a few friends about this - the Euro 2004 squad (probably the strongest Euro squad since this one) compared to the 2021 squad.

image.thumb.png.0cc04f80a881000311663de4451e6059.png

This is the squad. The starting 11 looks strong. Average goalkeepers.

Of that squad I don't think Phil Neville, Bridge, Butt, Dyer, Heskey, Vassell, would get into the current squad maybe Hargreaves and Joe Cole too. There's also an argument to say Gary Neville wouldn't either due to our depth at right back. 

The real weakness in that side was the management.  Venables would've achieved something with that lot.

8 hours ago, The Bard said:

The real weakness in that side was the management.  Venables would've achieved something with that lot.

Venables won nothing with the likes of

Shearer Sheringham Neville Campbell Seaman Fowler and Gazza

what makes you think he would have done anything with that lot?

43 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Venables won nothing with the likes of

Shearer Sheringham Neville Campbell Seaman Fowler and Gazza

what makes you think he would have done anything with that lot?

Campbell was 18. Fowler 20 Neville 21 at euro 96. The others were outstanding...

Just now, Maltshoveller said:

Can also add Platt Pearce and Adams to the list

Yep and we were extremely unlucky losing a semi final to a very strong side on penalties 

Eriksson had better players and managed to get less out of them than Venables did. 

Eriksson was a bluffer

On 21/05/2021 at 07:49, Banned User said:

What's your 26 man England squad? (Split into three questions because OTIB limits the polls to 24 questions)

I don't know anything about half of those names so I cannot invest this time but I wish you well. I'm out.

I would just like to add though, if I may, that the list compiled by Phil Fogg looks tasty. They won nothing. This lot in 2021 are not like the other lot because there are no Billie big Bollox names are there. Only young and hungries from what I can see... Therefore this team this year will I think go all the way. There darn, gone and stuck me neck out now. What the cobblers. This tequila is good mind. I will check the conjugargion tomorrow. 

I would be amazed if we manage to get through this tournament without a major breach of squad discipline involving booze and the intervention of the police. Otherwise, what's the point of it all?

Obvs, without Maddison there some other members of the squad will have to up their game but perhaps Grealish or Ramsdale can rescue the situation with an early hours brawl caught on mobile phone footage after gatecrashing a wedding reception at the team hotel?

Foden has shown early promise too.

We have so much decent attacking talent but our defence and keepers worry me a lot. 

Most successful international teams tend to have a real top quality deep lying midfielder who can dictate the game. Think Mount is probably the only one in our squad who can play that role despite the fact he plays further forward for Chelsea. 

Not convinced by Southgate either. Hard group as well hope I'm wrong but think we might massively underperform. 

I think this whole extension of 33 players in his squad sums up Southgate as a Manager for me. Not ruthless enough, should just pick his 26 and that's it, he's soft as ****. 

Like @JonDolman stated, Conor Coady and Mings are not as good as other defenders we have (Webster, Tomori, Tarkowski) yet get picked. 

I have a bad feeling going into the Tournament that we could get embarassed once again because Southgate is just dithering around, too worried the press will lay into him about Trent Alexander-Arnold.. Just pick your team man and stand by it. 

Lets be honest here, we got to the Semi finals in WC 2018 due to a very fortunate draw lets not get away from that.

20 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I think this whole extension of 33 players in his squad sums up Southgate as a Manager for me. Not ruthless enough, should just pick his 26 and that's it, he's soft as ****. 

Like @JonDolman stated, Conor Coady and Mings are not as good as other defenders we have (Webster, Tomori, Tarkowski) yet get picked. 

I have a bad feeling going into the Tournament that we could get embarassed once again because Southgate is just dithering around, too worried the press will lay into him about Trent Alexander-Arnold.. Just pick your team man and stand by it. 

Lets be honest here, we got to the Semi finals in WC 2018 due to a very fortunate draw lets not get away from that.

According to The Athletic it was just to give Henderson and Maguire time to prove fitness, probably Greenwood as well considering he's just pulled out injured.

Agree on your CB picks, don't think Webster has done enough to get a spot but Tomori should undoubtedly be there.

Think if Southgate was worried about the media's opinions on Trent he wouldn't have dropped him earlier in the year and wouldn't be about to drop him again. What some seem unable to wrap their heads around is that we are going to have to do a lot of defending (it's international football and we're England ffs) so he's not the best pick. Would he be a handy super sub? Yes. Not sure that's enough tho, like Ward-Prowse he's angling for selection based on dead ball situations and crossing.

4 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

Not totally convinced Greenwood was going to be in the squad. If he was, you'd naturally see it as an opening for Watkins. Saka maybe a 'wildcard' option too.

Unless he decides its an opening to squeeze Trent on the plane last minute!

Saka should be on the plane. Criminally underrated player that can play equally well at left back, attacking mid and on the wings.

2 minutes ago, KegCity said:

According to The Athletic it was just to give Henderson and Maguire time to prove fitness, probably Greenwood as well considering he's just pulled out injured.

Agree on your CB picks, don't think Webster has done enough to get a spot but Tomori should undoubtedly be there.

Think if Southgate was worried about the media's opinions on Trent he wouldn't have dropped him earlier in the year and wouldn't be about to drop him again. What some seem unable to wrap their heads around is that we are going to have to do a lot of defending (it's international football and we're England ffs) so he's not the best pick. Would he be a handy super sub? Yes. Not sure that's enough tho, like Ward-Prowse he's angling for selection based on dead ball situations and crossing.

Saka should be on the plane. Criminally underrated player that can play equally well at left back, attacking mid and on the wings.

No other Nation has done the same though and I am sure they have their injury doubts and concerns.
Just find it odd that he has invited him to come to the 33, then will just drop him when he probably knew he was going to anyway.

It all feels very amateurish at International level for me

On 21/05/2021 at 14:59, Sir Geoff said:

Not too bothered...been there seen it ( the hype) too many times to care anymore. Looking at the list and with Maguire probably out, we are sadly lacking at Centre Half and will get found out by any half decent attack.

This is exactly how I see it. Good attacking side but will leak goals against better teams. Our CB options are not good enough and we lack a Kante type midfielder. 

Add that to Southgate's negative approach and I think we will be a semis team at the very best. With a different coach who focused on our strengths we might have a chance. Keegan would've been a better fit with this squad than the cautious GS! 

4 minutes ago, 2015 said:

No other Nation has done the same though and I am sure they have their injury doubts and concerns.
Just find it odd that he has invited him to come to the 33, then will just drop him when he probably knew he was going to anyway.

Fair enough. I've not really got an issue with waiting a week and assessing options in camp, don't see what disadvantage there is to seeing how players perform and interact in training. Chelsea and Man City players will have been away anyway.

7 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Italy have done exactly the same as us, and we've had 12 players playing the European finals, makes perfect sense to do it this way in my opinion.

Archived