IGNORED

Your 26 man England Squad?

Unan

Your 26 man England Squad?  

147 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I've just read the interview and I don't think he's whinging. Just saying he'd like to get something and he's not had a lot of luck with applications.

To be honest, I think he's had a couple of massively tough jobs where it was hard for anyone to succeed but then, as a resultl, his CV looks like someone who hasn't succeeded. I think he's probably a bit better as a manager than he gets credit for. 

Difference between getting something and being around the England squad as a coach though, Southgate himself is a CB, you've then also got other options of coaches who've also played at the highest level and coach at a higher level. Don't disagree he's probably deserving of a chance at a stable league 1 club. 

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Bit weird that. Guessing it is because players are recovering from the Champions League final but, if I were in his shoes, I'd not fancy playing in those circumstances. 

Put in a good performance and all it takes is a training injury or positive covid test and he could be in

1 hour ago, One Team said:

Off the top of my head with no Googling and then going “oh him!”:

Phillips

Coady

Johnstone

James

Saka

Surprised you’ve not heard of Reece James? Firstly he scored a screamer against us for Wigan, and also made Championship team of the season I think. He’s also just won the CL as arguably one of the best players on the night.

The others could probably be forgiven, Saka has been Arsenals silver lining this season, Phillips has been one of Leeds most consistent players and all have made an appearance for England already except Johnstone, that’s a bit of an odd one.

Just now, MarcusX said:

Surprised you’ve not heard of Reece James? Firstly he scored a screamer against us for Wigan, and also made Championship team of the season I think. He’s also just won the CL as arguably one of the best players on the night.

The others could probably be forgiven, Saka has been Arsenals silver lining this season, Phillips has been one of Leeds most consistent players and all have made an appearance for England already except Johnstone, that’s a bit of an odd one.

Yep, there goes me thinking “oh yes him!”! I guess James is a pretty common name, as you as you said Reece James it clicked. 

4 hours ago, The Bard said:

Yep. I feel Walker is lucky as, like Sterling he's never really done it for England when it really matters. Not really creative and has a major cock up in him

As does Stones.... and Pickford. 

Maybe he picked 10 defenders so he has plenty of cover when he has to drop two or three for a totally predictable clanger. 

Pickford 
            Walker Mag Stones
James                              Shaw

Bellingham Rice 

Mount             Foden 

Kane 

19 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Pickford 
            Walker Mag Stones

Bellingham Rice 

Mount             Foden 

Kane 

Id rather play Mount next to Rice as the more attacking of the midfield 2

20 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Pickford 
            Walker Mag Stones

Bellingham Rice 

Mount             Foden 

Kane 

Chillwell is miles better than Shaw.

Also a proven big game player..

10 hours ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Id rather play Mount next to Rice as the more attacking of the midfield 2

Yeah it’s pretty versatile with Bellingham being able to play in the 6 or 8. 

Just feel that’s a really balanced side, although I don’t see him playing without wingers which means some really tough decisions 

13 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah it's just a shame Southgate gave experience to defenders who will never be that good. For me a number of those were better than Coady and Mings when he gave them their debuts. Now he feels he has to stick with those not so good defenders because of their experience.

Perhaps he knows that experience is absolutely key. Whether a player is 'better' based on a small body of work really is about opinion. Unless we have a new Tony Adams or a De Ligt who can be leaders at a young age I seriously doubt a completely untried centre back is a good idea against top level players in a high profile tournament. You can gamble with the odd attacking player but not at centre half unless they are absolutely stand out.

35 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

To be fair Shaw has been quality this season and is probably better defensively.

Chilwell put in a defensive masterclass against a world class player in Mahrez in a real game last Saturday.  His first 2 games for England were a 0-0 in Croatia and a win in Spain.  He also came on in the FA Cup final and almost rescued it for his team.  He is clearly a big game player. 

Shaw is a very good player and handy back up.  Chilwell is world class.  Add to that he already has a brilliant understandiing with Mount and we potentially have a very strong left side of the pitch.

11 hours ago, The Bard said:

Chillwell is miles better than Shaw.

Also a proven big game player..

I know it was under Lampard but Chillwell was absolutely dire the first half of the season.Thomas Tuchel has done wonders for him though, looks much better. But I worry he'll play like he did under Lampard again under Woodgate management. 

You can't really complain over Chillwell or Shaw starting tbh, both have finished their seasons very well and are great players.

3 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I know it was under Lampard but Chillwell was absolutely dire the first half of the season.Thomas Tuchel has done wonders for him though, looks much better. But I worry he'll play like he did under Lampard again under Woodgate management. 

You can't really complain over Chillwell or Shaw starting tbh, both have finished their seasons very well and are great players.

Chilwell too weak for me, prefer Shaw who has been Man Utd's player of the season.

But as another poster said, I think R16 might be where we finish considering who we likely will have to play in the knockouts.

1 hour ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Bit late to this, but Lingard, Ward Prowse and Ollie Watkins should have been in the squad. 

All add something different and Ward Prowse is in danger of being Le Tiss levels of left out. 

Watkins would be perfect foil for and English fowards as makes a nuisance of himself draws plays, creates space and can score. 

Lingard in form of his life with Rice, makes no sense as to why not. 

Maddening. 

Who would you have left out to accomodate those 3?

4 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Might actually watch an England friendly today.  Team to be this I reckon 

Pickford 
   Stones, Coady, Mings 
Trent Bellingham, Rice, Tripp
    Lingard, Kane, Sancho

Coady and Mings battling for a start against Croatia as Maguire won’t be fit

Stones won't play. Likely one of Godfrey or White will if it s a back 3 otherwise a 4 with Grealish starting. 

38 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Oh yeah forgot he played Saturday 

Very likely he'll try both White and Godfrey tonight when I think about it. They can change the squad any time up till the first game so if Maguire is clearly not going to be fit then one of them 2 will probably take his place.

8 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Does it really matter who is in the squad? Realistically we aren't good enough to get past Germany or France in the first knock out game (and I include our tactically inept manager).

Posts like this get on my wick. Such a negative, losers mentality. I’m not sold on Southgate but this is probably our best squad since 04/06.

Germany are always strong but aren’t what they were, France look great on paper but anything can happen in a tournament. 

30 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Posts like this get on my wick. Such a negative, losers mentality. I’m not sold on Southgate but this is probably our best squad since 04/06.

Germany are always strong but aren’t what they were, France look great on paper but anything can happen in a tournament. 

It's trendy to hate/be negative on England, especially if you're English.

I genuinely believe apart from Portugal, we have improved the most since the last major tournament

Just now, And Its Smith said:

team for tonight    

Pickford

Trent. Coady, Mings, Trippier

Bellingham, Rice, Lingard;   

Saka, Kane, Grealish

I'm hyped to see that team play, looks exciting

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

team for tonight    

Pickford

Trent. Coady, Mings, Trippier

Bellingham, Rice, Lingard;