IGNORED

Your 26 man England Squad?

Unan

Your 26 man England Squad?  

147 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, Banned User said:

Why play 3 at the back just because we don’t have very many good centre backs, seems odd to me. 5 defenders when our main threat is up front.

Probably because our defenders are not very good...

But I agree - crazy to leave out Grealish or Foden to accommodate Mings or Coady

17 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Probably because our defenders are not very good...

But I agree - crazy to leave out Grealish or Foden to accommodate Mings

If you are weak defensively you will have to be outstanding in attack. That's why managers with weaker defences play an extra defensive player as they know they are still likely to maintain a threat without being as open to conceding. England fall into that category 

If you want an example of including all your best attackers and weakening your side defensively look at Man City's team vs Chelsea. It lost them the game. Picking Sterling because he's 'too good to leave out' over a more functional Rodri or Fernandinho.

Trouble with England is that Southgate plumped for Coady and Mings as defensive cover. We'd be a lot better off with Webster and Dunk. 

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

If you are weak defensively you will have to be outstanding in attack. That's why managers with weaker defences play an extra defensive player as they know they are still likely to maintain a threat without being as open to conceding. England fall into that category 

If you want an example of including all your best attackers and weakening your side defensively look at Man City's team vs Chelsea. It lost them the game. Picking Sterling because he's 'too good to leave out' over a more functional Rodri or Fernandinho.

Trouble with England is that Southgate plumped for Coady and Mings as defensive cover. We'd be a lot better off with Webster and Dunk. 

Coady I think has a role to play, especially in a back 3. He also seems like a decent bloke and a good leader on the pitch. 

Mings is just a thug, as we saw yesterday. Worrying thing is, he will very likely get significant game time, considering Maguire will be probably out for the first couple of matches. 

Did anyone catch Southgates comments after? Henderson not feeling right and had another scan. Can’t see him making it plus lacking match fitness. Maguire likely won’t make it til after the group games. Phillips shoulder is better and he’s doing full training.

I think it’s very obvious why the extra players were kept around and given game time, I expect a few of them to be pulled in as replacements. Probably Lingard and White or JWP

3 hours ago, KegCity said:

Could Mount play as a Centre Mid? Put Foden/Grealish in the creative role and have Mount involved a bit deeper? Starting to put square pegs in round holes and I'd rather just play the best in each position, rather than squeeze the 11 "best" players into a side, but it might be an option.

Agree with the comments about Kane, I'd personally have Sancho and Foden starting out wide. Sterling seems to cock up a 1 on 1 situation with the keeper at least once a game, did it in every knockout game Man City played this season, so I'd rather leave him on the bench.

I'd like to see him try Rice/Henderson (depending on fitness) and Mount with Grealish in a creative role. I think Mount is adaptable enough to play as more of a standard CM. I appreciate we have a questionable defence, but we need to try and play as many of our talented attacking players as possible and IMO this system allows us to do that.

We can then have any combination of Sterling/Sancho/Foden/Rashford/Saka on the wings with Kane up top. Looks quite good in theory.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'd like to see him try Rice/Henderson (depending on fitness) and Mount with Grealish in a creative role. I think Mount is adaptable enough to play as more of a standard CM. I appreciate we have a questionable defence, but we need to try and play as many of our talented attacking players as possible and IMO this system allows us to do that.

We can then have any combination of Sterling/Sancho/Foden/Rashford/Saka on the wings with Kane up top. Looks quite good in theory.

I'd like to see it as well, but I'm not sure that would be our best team. Like the Gerrard/Lampard conundrum of previous England sides, sometimes it's not simply a case of picking the 11 "best" players if they won't fit together. I agree though, I think Mount could play that role well.

Should've given it a try during qualifying.

2 hours ago, KegCity said:

I'd like to see it as well, but I'm not sure that would be our best team. Like the Gerrard/Lampard conundrum of previous England sides, sometimes it's not simply a case of picking the 11 "best" players if they won't fit together. I agree though, I think Mount could play that role well.

Should've given it a try during qualifying.

I think the key difference there is that Grealish and Mount aren't necessarily clashing styles. The issue with the 04/06 England sides was that Lampard/Gerrard/Scholes all played similar roles for their clubs so it didn't work... although if that team had played 5-3-2 (with Becks and Cole as wing backs) it might've worked with the 3 central mids. 

5 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

TAA out of Euros . 

That right back problem has sorted itself out then. Devastating for him of course, but now Southgate can bring in an extra midfielder and balance the squad out a bit. Hopefully he goes for Ward Prowse - for set pieces and the fact we have better players in Lingards position

12 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

TAA out of Euros . 

Who wants to start a conspiracy theory that Gareth picked him on the basis Trent got 'injured' during the game so could withdraw from the squad rather than be left out originally, Gareth doesn't face any hard questions for not picking him, Trent doesn't look like he's been overlooked :fear:

• Admin
19 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Who wants to start a conspiracy theory that Gareth picked him on the basis Trent got 'injured' during the game so could withdraw from the squad rather than be left out originally, Gareth doesn't face any hard questions for not picking him, Trent doesn't look like he's been overlooked :fear:

If he's that good at predicting the future I'm sure he'd be predicting lottery numbers 

3 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

Personally would go with Ben White now, but think he will go with JWP

I think they'll both end up being in the squad. Suspect Maguire has been picked to give him a chance  but will in likelihood not make it.

He really should have picked Webster. A CB player who makes his partner(s) look good. We need one of them.

6 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

Don't really pay much attention anymore but we look light at CH. Has he not played Kyle walker there before? He could do a job. Are the other back ups ready for a start? Coady happier in a three?

Walker, James and, I think, Chilwell are all full backs that can play in a back three as needed. Problem is, whatever way you dice it and slice it, our central defence is pretty reliant on Maguire being fit. Others can play with him but I'm not sure how we can play without him. 

We can cope without Henderson but Maguire will (and should) be given every chance to be involved in the tournament as even if he isn't fit for the first game he will be a massive bonus to come back later in group stage. Sounds like Maguire will be fit for 2nd game to me and that Henderson is unlikely to be involved at all so should probably replace him now with JWP?

Archived