IGNORED

Your 26 man England Squad?

Unan

Your 26 man England Squad?  

147 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

0E9A031A-B612-4536-858D-812ED0E12306.png

Trent can play RM, Trippier can also play LB if required and Walker can play CB in a back 3 is what everyone is conveniently missing when they are shouting about him taking 4 RB’s.

3 minutes ago, redsocks said:

Southgate's a ****.he takes Henderson who has not played for months.he takes 4 right backs leaves Watkins at home and takes sancho and saka.we will be lucky to go through the group.need to take players who are in form not out of form.

The same Sancho that has been excellent for Dortmund in the second half of the season and is in very good form. Saka is versatile and can play left back if needed whereas Watkins will struggle. I don't really see how Watkins would ever be utilised if you include Grealish and Foden in the list of potential wide attacking players which Southgate has in the past. 

I listened to a podcast the other day with Gary Lewin, the ex-England physio on it, and he was discussing selecting players who are coming back to fitness. He made a very valid point that we have two friendlies, and if we're planning on winning it, we have seven further matches for Henderson to come through. He adds a lot of experience and also some leadership which I feel we're lacking in the middle of the park. 

1 minute ago, bris red said:

Trent can play RM, Trippier can also play LB if required and Walker can play CB in a back 3 is what everyone is conveniently missing when they are shouting about him taking 4 RB’s.

Yep. I feel Walker is lucky as, like Sterling he's never really done it for England when it really matters. Not really creative and has a major cock up in him

3 minutes ago, redsocks said:

Why do you say watkins will struggle hes been consistent all season not just half a season plus we only have one natural goal scorer in harry kane.what if he got injured.?

Sorry, I mean he would struggle at left back as he doesn't have the versatility of Saka. If Kane got injured, we would then go down to Calvert-Lewin who would be a good in the middle of the park in my opinion.

I am not out-raged by the squad but I'd have included Ward-Prowse and left out a right back. I think Lingard and Watkins are unlucky to miss out too but I think we've got a raft of attacking midfielders and - beyond Kane - forwards who are of a relatively similar level and I can see the case for the players who have been included. 

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I am not out-raged by the squad but I'd have included Ward-Prowse and left out a right back. I think Lingard and Watkins are unlucky to miss out too but I think we've got a raft of attacking midfielders and - beyond Kane - forwards who are of a relatively similar level and I can see the case for the players who have been included. 

But according to Gareth,  Lingard will be playing in the game tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Sounds like Sol Campbell is whinging again that he’s not involved at the top of the game 

I've just read the interview and I don't think he's whinging. Just saying he'd like to get something and he's not had a lot of luck with applications.

To be honest, I think he's had a couple of massively tough jobs where it was hard for anyone to succeed but then, as a resultl, his CV looks like someone who hasn't succeeded. I think he's probably a bit better as a manager than he gets credit for. 

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

That’s the thing - I know it’s the game but there’s a lot of faux outrage on SSN over things like Watkins’ omission. It becomes a case of who do you put him in instead of, which they can’t answer.

Like you, I struggle to see OW or JL over what’s been selected over similar in their position.  Ward Prowse is the notable one for me simply because we do look light in midfield. 

I think it speaks to a 3-4-3 formation, with two of the 4 being attacking players a la TAA

15 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Bit weird that. Guessing it is because players are recovering from the Champions League final but, if I were in his shoes, I'd not fancy playing in those circumstances. 

Bet he is hoping Lingard doesnt score a hat trick ??

It's usually a 23 man squad so the fact we have two more right backs means we still have one other extra player in a different position. At least 6 of them will play no part or 5 mins at the end of either the final group game, a comfortable win or a third place play off.

1 hour ago, RedEyez said:

Perhaps Southgate is bringing TAA as his utility man, after previously saying he can play in midfield too.

Walker can also play CB/RCB.

Options.

Maybe TAA is going to the an option for RB/RWB (and possibly even RM). Reece James can play RB/RWB, RCB in a back 3 and can cover for Phillips, or Rice, as DM.

Walker can play RB and RCB in a back 3, and Trippier can play RB/RWB or LB.

A very versatile group of players, who are predominantly Right Backs.

COYRs.

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

4 centre backs in a 26 man squad.

Maguire - Injured

Stones - Great season BUT in a dominating side who are all over nearly everyone they play. That is very important imo. If Southgate has us looking the poorer side in possession against the top nations but dangerous on the break, like our 3-2 away win against Spain, then Stones has a lot of defending to do.

Coady - Decent. But there's better he hasn't gone with imo.

Mings - Well he's left footed and big, is that all it takes to beat much better right footed centre backs to a place in the squad!?

Just looks dodgy to me at prem level. Might be fine against poor opponents at international level but if you want to win the Euros, you don't want Tyrone Mings in your defence.

I actually agree with Southgate in him wanting players that have played before for England and knows what Gareth wants, is familiar with the squad and putting on the England shirt. What I disagree with is going with Mings in the first place!

Looking at that list if Maguire is injured then it suggests to me it will be 343. Walker right of a 3. James can do that role too like in the FA cup final.

I'm fine with most of the rest of it. I would not have taken 4 rights back though. Even if we go 343 and and he sees Walker playing centre back. I'd rather just take 5 proper centre backs than 4 CBs and 4 RBs.

What better CB options do you think we have? I don’t rate Coady or Mings but it’s difficult to see who would of gone over them when they have been involved by Southgate for a while now.  I think the 4 RB’s means we are likely to play 3 at the back now with Walker or James on the right of a back 3.

1 hour ago, redsocks said:

Why do you say watkins will struggle hes been consistent all season not just half a season plus we only have one natural goal scorer in harry kane.what if he got injured.?

I think if Kane got injured, god forbid we would have to play a completely different way. I think if that scenario happened then we would likely see Calvert-Lewin come in, or a different system having either Rashford, Sterling or even Mount used as a ‘false 9’ type over Watkins. I like Watkins but I can’t think of a scenario where he would be used over our other attacking options, which in turn I guess is why he misses out. 

5 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

What better CB options do you think we have? I don’t rate Coady or Mings but it’s difficult to see who would of gone over them when they have been involved by Southgate for a while now.  I think the 4 RB’s means we are likely to play 3 at the back now with Walker or James on the right of a back 3.

Not convinced with Mings. Villa fans seem to think Konsa is better. I do like Coady though.

3 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

I think if Kane got injured, god forbid we would have to play a completely different way. I think if that scenario happened then we would likely see Calvert-Lewin come in, or a different system having either Rashford, Sterling or even Mount used as a ‘false 9’ type over Watkins. I like Watkins but I can’t think of a scenario where he would be used over our other attacking options, which in turn I guess is why he misses out. 

We are so light in the striker area. I would be tempted not to play Kane in either of these warm up games. We are doomed if he gets injured.

If Coady and Mings are in, Maguire doubtful, you have to feel for Webster. Probably his best chance of getting in that pretty average England back line.

But the fact he’s gone with 4 RB’s suggests it’s going to be 3 at the back. That’s obvious...

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Webster, Godfrey, Tomori, Dunk, Konsa, White, Tarkowski, Holding

Agree with all of those but there was no way with Maguire struggling he was going to take any of those over Coady or Mings. Especially when he’s consistently involved Coady & Mings. I personally would of gone with White & Tomori. 

7 minutes ago, Super said:

We are so light in the striker area. I would be tempted not to play Kane in either of these warm up games. We are doomed if he gets injured.

I think another thing with Kane is, if fit for the entire tournament unless we are winning a game comfortably he’s never going to be taken off, so will likely play more than anyone.

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah it's just a shame Southgate gave experience to defenders who will never be that good. For me a number of those were better than Coady and Mings when he gave them their debuts. Now he feels he has to stick with those not so good defenders because of their experience.

Agreed which is a real shame as I don’t think Coady & Mings are international class. Whereas the likes of White, Tomori, Godfrey have the potential to be. Take Tomori for instance, strange how he didn’t seem to figure at Chelsea yet goes to Milan and is a main stay in the side. I’m actually surprised he didn’t make at least the final 33.

2 hours ago, Coppello said:

Out of interest, who haven't you heard of?

There's a lot of young and exciting attacking talent in that squad. I have a feeling it's going to be the tournament in which Foden really shows his class. Shame our choice of keepers is so poor and we look a little light at centre back. 

Off the top of my head with no Googling and then going “oh him!”:

Phillips

Coady

Johnstone

James

Saka

1 hour ago, Super said:

Pretty sure Southgate can make adjustments for a couple of weeks yet in terms of injuries to players, I'd say give Calvert-Lewin and Kane 45 mins in each game, keep them fresh without exerting them.

Archived