IGNORED

Best goal you ever scored

bcfcredandwhite

The ‘what position did you play’ thread got me thinking - for all you people who have played the beautiful game, there must be a favourite moment when the ball leaves the foot (or head) and ends up in the onion bag with a ‘swish’. 
Please forgive me if I relive this wonderful moment.....

I was playing 11-a-side at King Edward Place (Swindon Towns training pitches). I was playing left midfield and my left back overlapped me on a run so I held back a bit. 
He ended up trapped in the corner and passed the ball back to me, about 25 yards out. My first touch wasn’t great - the ball spun up into the air, but as it came back down instinct took over and I hit the sweetest volley of my life. The ball went like a rocket off my foot and didn’t dip or swerve - it went straight. What made it sweeter was that the GK got his hands to it but it was hit so sweetly that it blasted his poor hands out of the way. Only moments before my team captain had a go at me for being too far forward!!!

I also scored a bicycle kick once but it was unintentional because I was simply trying to stop the defender from clearing the ball!!!!

Anyone else scored goals they were proud of?

I cannot remember any goals I scored, good or otherwise.

However I have a very distinct memory of the time in primary school when I tried to nick someone's else's goal by booting a ball that was already clearly on its way into the net and managed to fire over the crossbar from 5 inches out. 

Edit: It was pretty much a carbon copy of Nugent's goal at 1:56 but with the ball going over the bar. Not a proud moment...

I'd like to know the quickest goal scored ever. Because I honestly believe I am in contention

Many moons ago in an 11 a side game. Started up front and we kicked off. Straight from kick-off the other striker tapped the ball to me to kick-off. Without any thought, I just turned towards goal and smashed the ball. As the ball left my foot, it beautifully glided into the air without losing any altitude, every opposition player just stood there as it glided past them. Eventually, the ball found itself into the top left hand corner. Keeper just stood there and watched it hit the net. If he was focused he could have tipped it over the crossbar if anything. But it just caused everyone to freeze and watch.

No idea what made me do that, must have been instinct. Felt like the ball was travelling for minutes but must have only been a few seconds. Wild celebrations within a few seconds of the game.

3 minutes ago, Redpool said:

I'd like to know the quickest goal scored ever. Because I honestly believe I am in contention

Many moons ago in an 11 a side game. Started up front and we kicked off. Straight from kick-off the other striker tapped the ball to me to kick-off. Without any thought, I just turned towards goal and smashed the ball. As the ball left my foot, it beautifully glided into the air without losing any altitude, every opposition player just stood there as it glided past them. Eventually, the ball found itself into the top left hand corner. Keeper just stood there and watched it hit the net. If he was focused he could have tipped it over the crossbar if anything. But it just caused everyone to freeze and watch.

No idea what made me do that, must have been instinct. Felt like the ball was travelling for minutes but must have only been a few seconds. Wild celebrations within a few seconds of the game.

2 seconds apparently. Sounds quite similar.

I scored from a few corners before doing my ACL in and they were always fun to battle in the box but I remember once in secondary school practice I hit a shot from the edge of the area on the outside of my weak foot, it curled outwards into the top corner, loved it. Couldn't hit it again on a second/third/etc. attempt.

Penalty v Millfield School.

Being a defender I didn't score many goals, but I did take set pieces.

Tucking it in the corner of the net against those posh gets was supremely satisfying.  We won the game 4-0.

Millfield were shit at football back then mind. Later they got a Croatian professional coach and started granting kids "soccer scholarships" and thrashing teams of Bash Street Kids like ours. 

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

2 seconds apparently. Sounds quite similar.

Saw David Lee do that. We lost the toss, he chose kick-off, as captain. I remember watching him remain in the centre circle and thinking to myself “big high up the pitch........for a sweeper”

Ping.

0-1.

47 minutes ago, SBB said:

Saw David Lee do that. We lost the toss, he chose kick-off, as captain. I remember watching him remain in the centre circle and thinking to myself “big high up the pitch........for a sweeper”

Ping.

0-1.

Dave Lee, as in ex-Chelsea….and Aiden Rangers?  He was my age-group.

Playing for my school, I was a right winger. Picked up the ball just inside their half and started running. Reached the edge of the box and let fly. It went in the top left corner. I didn't score many and usually focused on getting crosses into the box. No one believed it was a shot but I don't care. I know it was and that's all that matters. Unfortunately we still lost the game.

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Dave Lee, as in ex-Chelsea….and Aiden Rangers?  He was my age-group.

Yeah same guy.
No floater over the keeper, either. I mean a pinged off the underside of the bar kind of strike. 

Sunday morning. 10:30am kick off. Severely, and I mean absolutely and totally severely hung over (I think I made it home at 5am), and had about 2 hours sleep! 

We were playing a Sunday team who had a whole load of players well above our level (think a few of them played for Yate). We’d lost to them 2 weeks before, by 10 goals to 1.

Anyway, I had one of the best games of my life, competed superbly with their Yate Town midfield. We lost 4-2, which was a huge improvement on the 10-1 defeat 2 weeks earlier. I scored both of our goals. The 2nd one, I’d won the ball in the centre circle, dribbled forward, beat another man, my striker made a great run across me and wide into the box - I feigned a through ball to him which took 2 defenders away following his run, this opened up space infront which I dribbled into, and from just inside the box I slotted a pinpoint shot into the opposite bottom corner beyond the advancing keeper. 

Given the quality of opposition and the solo effort, and my massively hungover state, this was my most satisfying goal. 

Even more so, when I’d had a good battle with their midfielder, and we had a crunching challenge about a minute before full time. They’d brought about 40 fans along with them and a few of them approached me after full time and threatened to knock me out (I assume because they didn’t like the fact I’d put in a strong challenge on their star player and had outclassed him all game). At this point, I was absolutely shattered and dead on my feet so I kindly asked them if they didn’t mind me just grabbing a drink of water before they knocked my block off. ?

Playing for Yate Town under 18s away to Keynsham Town. Received a throwing back to goal flipped the ball over my markers head . Flicked the ball to the right of the next defender before smashing it from about 30 yards into the top corner. 

Well Im at it. Playing for Staunton Rangers away to Talbot Knowle towards the end of my playing days . Free kick 30 odd yards out bang top bins . And what

:laughcont:

3 hours ago, Redpool said:

When I was 17 I played my first mens football game - a friendly v Met Police. They had kick off and passed it back to the right sided centre mid (I was left wing). I nicked the ball just before he got to it, next touch took it one side of the centre back and I went the other and then 3rd touch curled it round the goalie from 18 years out. I don't think I could have made a better impression!

My best goal was when I was about 14. Our goalie intercepted a cross and I was at the edge of our penalty area. He rolled it out to me, I took two touches forward, before cutting inside the centre mid, couple more touches and round the other centre bit, the ball bobbled up exactly on the centre spot and I just swung my foot at it and it just sailed straight over the goalies head into the net. I didn't think I could kick it that far.

Remember it well...funny how moments stick with you.

Playing for Yate Utd under 16s.

Cup game away against a team we should have beaten easily, can't think of their name, it'll come to me tomorrow most likely :laugh:.

Anyway...we are battering them but not scoring. Last minute of the game...I received the ball in our own half, and just went on a mazy run past numerous opposition, nutmegging two in the process. Got to the 18 yard box and unleashed a thunderbastard straight as a dye...that smashed into the bar, rebounded, and came straight back to me like a bullet. Threw myself headlong at at and nutted it into the bottom right hand corner.

Team went mental. We win one nil. 

Funny how they say in sport that there are certain times where you are totally in the moment that it feels like an outer body experience. This was one of them...something just took over.

Scored many others...but that one just stands out like it was yesterday.

Under 16 Church of England League.

The team was Cardiff City Juniors run by a wierdo from Stapleton. Never knew if there was any connection with the Bluebirds.

Game against Bristol North Boys Club.

I got an absolute screamer from just inside their half.

Now for the reality. We lost 31-2 and my goal was from 40 yards. If you know Victoria Park in Bemmy you will know that it has lots of hilly bits. My shot was downwards on the steepest pitch in the park.

I retired at the end of the season to follow City full-time!

Found the net from just inside the half-way line. Keeper had come out to the edge of the box, unsuspecting. One good boot and it cleared him, hit the sun-baked divots (council pitch, never rollered) which nudged it towards the net in two bounces. Pity it was a backpass...

Refereeing a Sunday league match I was around the six yard box looking for the 9/5 pushing and shoving each other which had been going on all game on a corner. Anyway the corner was fizzed in at pace and it hit me on the shoulder and was heading for the back of the net until the keeper pulled of a hell of a save to save my blushes.

Oh it was in the last minute of the cup semi final!

At the age of 11, I went on a school camp to Sunbury-On-Thames. One of the sightseeing trips we did was a tour of the “old” Wembley stadium. 

They allowed us to have a game of headers and volleys in one of the goalmouths. I scored a sweet volley into the bottom right, winning the game.

The reward was to lead “the team” up the steps to lift the (replica) World Cup, with canned crowd noise.

I wore my 70s Umbro City kit and pretended that I was Tom Richie. I was only 11.

Probably the only time that City have lifted the World Cup.

Aged 8 or 9 playing centre back ... our right back took throw in about 10 yards back from half way line in our own half. I took a touch then in standard junior football fashion booted the ball as hard as I could towards the oppositions goal and ended up lobbing their goalkeeper.

Also not so successfully, when tracking back to clear a long ball played over our defence I tried to clear the ball back up field over my own head and managed to lob my own keeper from about 40 yards ?

2 stand out for me. 

Goal 1 was similar to the dele Alli goal v Palace (except it went higher in to the goal) against the best team in the league. I scored 4 that day in a 5-2 win, aged 10 playing centre midfield. 

Goal 2 I was a bit older, 12 or 13 on debut for my new club as a striker. Stood on the edge of the box defending a corner. Ball fell to my feet, just ran forward, took it passed 2 players, decided not to take it passed the last defender who was backing off and backing off (didn't have any supporting runners as I was faster than everyone else) so just hit it from outside the box. Postage stamp. Just turned round, shrugged my shoulders and walked back because nobody was around to celebrate with. 

This is probably as close as I could think of at this time. Difference being it was a full on sprint up the middle of the pitch and I didn't play a one-two with anyone. There's probably a more proper similar goal but I can't think of it at the minute. But any excuse to show this video as it's one of my favourite goals of the Premier league era. 

I scored a hatrick vs The Essex Arms FC once - they were resplendent in their blue and white quarters - how satisfying that was! 

I also splaffed one into the top corner from 35 yards in another game and as soon as I hit it I felt my hammy go - so I had to go off - I scored with my last touch on the pitch and the on-coming sub scored with his first touch on the pitch - that must be some sort of record!

Archived