IGNORED

Best goal you ever scored

bcfcredandwhite

5 hours ago, grifty said:

When I was 17 I played my first mens football game - a friendly v Met Police. They had kick off and passed it back to the right sided centre mid (I was left wing). I nicked the ball just before he got to it, next touch took it one side of the centre back and I went the other and then 3rd touch curled it round the goalie from 18 years out. I don't think I could have made a better impression!

My best goal was when I was about 14. Our goalie intercepted a cross and I was at the edge of our penalty area. He rolled it out to me, I took two touches forward, before cutting inside the centre mid, couple more touches and round the other centre bit, the ball bobbled up exactly on the centre spot and I just swung my foot at it and it just sailed straight over the goalies head into the net. I didn't think I could kick it that far.

I’ve played against Met Police, there is no such thing as a “friendly” , when they play.....?

Too many to mention but probably the best was from just the other side of the half way line from beckhams famous goal, playing right wing keeper threw the ball out to me following a corner then I managed to take it past one and then as their centre half came  across to challenge I got their first but the ball bobbled up perfectly, took one look at the keeper who was in the D and sent a half volley over his flailing arms which bounced in the goal area.

Honourable mentions to the free kick from the very left hand side of the box curled with venom into the Stantion at the far corner, the goal which lampard scored v Barcelona at the nou camp from the impossible angle i recreated just 4 days later, and the one at the edge of the box where the ball rolling across my body I flicked up with my left foot and volleyed into the roof of the net via the cross bar with my right.

Genius- but send me through 1-1 v the keeper and I would crumble like a pack of cards.

A goal that I did not score but a rememberable one was when I was in the Royal Navy we played Fort Lauderdale strikers and the ball came across to me and I stepped over it for KB to score and the goalkeeper was Gordon Banks as well as several internationals playing the only regret that we had was that they had just signed George Best but he could not play as the paper were not signed, Happy days and I still have the photos to remember.  

I was never particularly prolific a goal scorer in my career and despite having a shocking memory for anything else I can recall plenty of decent goals I scored in my time.

One of my favourites would have been when I was playing on Greville Smyth on a Saturday afternoon and I was playing left wing (very much right footed then) and I made a good run forward and got found by a through ball although it ended up being just little behind so had to check my run.

Having beat the offside, I managed to collect the through ball just on the left hand corner of the box but I had to draw the ball back into my path with my right which slowed me down but it was just me on the keeper but I decided to chip him with my left foot and it sailed perfectly over his head into the far side netting, just pure instinct.

I played left wing, small, fast but left footed only. To quote Norman Hunter(I think), my right was only for standing on. Anyway as a nipper in secondary school in the 1960s, I went into the penalty box, received the ball, rounded the keeper by sending him the wrong way. Body swerve we used to call it! Then put the ball in then net. I got a telling off from the Teacher who told me I should never be in the penalty area and to stay out on the wing. Then he turned around and gave the inside left a roasting for passing me the ball. Instead he should have been the one in the penalty box and not me. Football positions were very rigid in those days, my job being to run the wing, beat the full back and cross the ball. Not the best goal necessarily but one I never forget due to the Teacher’s reaction

3 minutes ago, Coupon said:

I played left wing, small, fast but left footed only. To quote Norman Hunter(I think), my right was only for standing on. Anyway as a nipper in secondary school in the 1960s, I went into the penalty box, received the ball, rounded the keeper by sending him the wrong way. Body swerve we used to call it! Then put the ball in then net. I got a telling off from the Teacher who told me I should never be in the penalty area and to stay out on the wing. Then he turned around and gave the inside left a roasting for passing me the ball. Instead he should have been the one in the penalty box and not me. Football positions were very rigid in those days, my job being to run the wing, beat the full back and cross the ball. Not the best goal necessarily but one I never forget due to the Teacher’s reaction

Was Lee Johnson your teacher? ?

11 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Remember putting one top bins for the county playing along side Tommy Doc but the main talking point was their bloke in midfield,we both just bounced off him and looked at each other as if to say what a player 

That team was ridiculous. Lot of time for Tim, as well. 

I didn’t score many, but I did once score direct from a corner, and it was planned.

A school house match, and I was right back but also designated corner taker. My mate was in goal and pretty useful, but not that tall.

Anyway I decided to fool him by taking the corner (from the right) with the outside of my right foot, something I’d practised successfully. Obviously that turned it from the expected outswinger into an inswinger and it left him out of position as it dropped over his head into the net.

His face was a joy to behold! It’s a trick you rarely see, which surprises me.

On 21/05/2021 at 23:02, joe jordans teeth said:

Remember putting one top bins for the county playing along side Tommy Doc but the main talking point was their bloke in midfield,we both just bounced off him and looked at each other as if to say what a player 

You’re going to have to give me a clue! I played in that side as well and have been racking my brain trying figure out who you might be? Position? Initials? 
No worries if you want to keep your anonymity. 

My most frustrating moment would have been my best goal. Free kick about 25 yards out, bent it round the wall and the keeper has flew out of nowhere and topped it over. Outstanding save. From the corner, our CB heads it straight at him like a pass back and the keeper throws it in..... 

How can he deny the best goal I would’ve scored and then let that in within minutes... didn’t even feel like celebrating my mates goal. 

Played mostly in the back 5 (see Ye Olde Formations thread) so didn't score many but one I still remember was in an evening game at St John's Lane, teams will remain anonymous. Lurking just outside the opponent's box at our corner the ball was headed out to my feet and deftly controlling it I shaped up to curl it into the right hand side of the goal. As I did this the whole defence moved across to block the shot and their well respected keeper anticipating this shot was shifting his balance to make a save. At this instant as the whole movement in front of me was moving as one to the right I pulled the ball onto my left foot and slotted into the left corner. This scenario was only seen from my point of view and I had sold a dummy to about 6 opposing players. Can still see it all in my mind's eye now.

I probably scored more own goals than actual goals in my lifetime, but I did play mainly as an “attacking full back” but which I loved running forward thinking I was Cafu but couldn’t actually tackle v well ?

Anyway one game whilst our team was attacking i remember a ball being played over top defence, the goalie ran towards it (by corner flag) and cleared it from danger. It came over the halfway line direct into my path (playing right back) and attempted what could only be described as Beckham-esque - magical moment seeing the ball land in the goal not bouncing once and lobbing a player on the line trying to defend. 

Dillerious scenes. Only for the referee to then speak to linesman who was flagging and the goal was disallowed as player was offside from first ball played. Never been so gutted……

Mostly tap ins TBH or the odd ricochet off my arse or the back of my head when I wasn't looking. Best goal ever was in Juniors with a left footed volley from outside the 18 yard box into the top RH corner. Even more special because I am right footed. 

I scored from inside my own half. We were 3-0 down with about 15 minutes to go and we had a corner and being a centre back we took it in turns to go up for the corners.

The ball went into the box and was hoofed clear into our half and the opposition were on a breakaway. The ball came into the centre circle and was being charged down by one of the opposition forwards. I thought I would just bang it back towards their 18 yard box as their attacker came towards me. I hit the ball really sweet and it went like a rocket. Their keeper had come towards the edge of his 18 yard box and then started back peddling. It went in just under the bar right in the centre of the goal and I saw the net bulge, looked round and saw our manager jumping up and down shouting “******* get in”!

I just stood there in disbelief. I never scored many, but that one was a blinder. Even the opposition congratulated me after the goal which was weird too. 

Around 1990 I stumbled out of the pub on the Saturday night, only to rock up on Sunday morning to find out that between the mates I'd left drinking "we" had formed a team. A very mixed bunch to say the least, from players who had clearly never played before , to Western League ringers. I ended up top scorer, probably on got to play up front as it was our team. Scored a couple of decent goals, but one that springs to mind is when the chap who came in as manager (very decent level keeper but played outfield for us), said my goal was a fluke, which I disputed . 
The ball was played along the D and I saw my chance for a shot, unfortunately it was my "good" foot so I slightly mishit it. The ball looped towards the goal and completely confused the keeper and beat him over his head, while he was virtually on the line. Fluke ??? I meant to shoot, I did. I meant to score, I did, how can it be a fluke ?

Archived