IGNORED

Dave Rennie Appointed

Lydered

2 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

What an enjoyable romp that season was, winning 20 games and scoring 68. 2007/8 and 2018/19 we gained more points, but only Gary managed as many wins and neither Johnson managed as many goals as 90/91 (Lee's 17/18 lot scored 67). No Alan Dicks team scored as many either, although fewer games then of course (think his best was 63 in early 70s).

Cracking season.   Winning 1 0 at Swindon the season after they got 'promoted' and Louie Donowa's winner vs the gas the stand outs

51 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

What an enjoyable romp that season was, winning 20 games and scoring 68. 2007/8 and 2018/19 we gained more points, but only Gary managed as many wins and neither Johnson managed as many goals as 90/91 (Lee's 17/18 lot scored 67). No Alan Dicks team scored as many either, although fewer games then of course (think his best was 63 in early 70s).

And what a calendar year 1990 was.

Jan - top of the league after wining 4-0 at Brum, beat Swindon and Chelsea in the Cup. May - promoted. December - finished the year by thumping Portsmouth and Boro to sit in 7th which was a play-off place.

We'll draw a veil over that away game in May 90 and Joe's departure in Sept, a hammer blow that's left us wondering ever since what heights we might have scaled if only he'd stayed.

All in all, quite a 12 month. 

And The Roses at Spike Island!

3 hours ago, beaverface said:

Isn't there a myth that a shot by one of our players was going wide, and one of our fans next the goalpost stuck a foot out and turned it into the goal?

Am I going mad, or did I hear that somewhere???

I think it was on the touch line in front of the grandstand and someone kept it in and Junior Bent played on 

9 hours ago, INCRED said:

I think it was on the touch line in front of the grandstand and someone kept it in and Junior Bent played on 

Yes I can definitely remember someone throwing it back or kicking it back to Junior. That was a great chip by David Rennie. Walsall had Gary Shaw playing for them up front ex-Villa in the early 80's and Des Bremner in midfield. They won the European Cup together but couldn't stop the mighty City. 

15 hours ago, beaverface said:

Isn't there a myth that a shot by one of our players was going wide, and one of our fans next the goalpost stuck a foot out and turned it into the goal?

Am I going mad, or did I hear that somewhere???

It’s not a myth, me and a mate were stood next to the post (we are in the picture) Shelts shot was definitely going wide until my mate diverted it in, the Walsall keeper saw what happened but just smiled at him. What a great day.

12 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

And what a calendar year 1990 was.

Jan - top of the league after wining 4-0 at Brum, beat Swindon and Chelsea in the Cup. May - promoted. December - finished the year by thumping Portsmouth and Boro to sit in 7th which was a play-off place.

We'll draw a veil over that away game in May 90 and Joe's departure in Sept, a hammer blow that's left us wondering ever since what heights we might have scaled if only he'd stayed.

All in all, quite a 12 month. 

And The Roses at Spike Island!

End of Thatcher, Italia ‘90 & we were in our mid to late 20s, definitely been worse years..

2 hours ago, cidercity said:

It’s not a myth, me and a mate were stood next to the post (we are in the picture) Shelts shot was definitely going wide until my mate diverted it in, the Walsall keeper saw what happened but just smiled at him. What a great day.

I must have been stood right by you. Always remember that. ?

29 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Forgot about Italia 90! World in Motion, what a tune.

Although tbh England were poor for much of it and it's the excitement of reaching a semi-final we remember now.

I remember England v Belgium. We had to be at our sixth-form leaving do by 10.30 or the doors would be locked and we were in a pub about four minutes fast sprint away. Platt volleyed Gazza's free kick in to save us from penalties at about 10.25 and the tables went up.

We just made it! ?

Best world cup ever for me.

Started in the first game, what a cracker!

Biggest bunch of hackers i ever saw that year, france.

How on earth did basil boli stay on the pitch?

Fair play to pearce, he jumped up after basil elbowed him.

He wrote to pearce after thanking him for his sportsmanship.

Archived