IGNORED

The OTIB derby - Sunderland vs Lincoln match day thread

Fordy62

56 minutes ago, Pezo said:

The problems at Sunderland are structural, I think he knows the problem, given the summer he has a 50% chance of fixing it. Someone new wouldn't see the problems until they were trying to sort out the squad and would then slowly realise the structural issues. 

He can’t manage a team through a 46 game season, he has failed at every club he’s been at. 
He is a failure. 

20 minutes ago, M.D said:

More afraid if your an Ipswich fan..

I'd be very surprised if LJ went there. Even though Ashton is a massive bell end he'll know what a dick LJ is having worked with him,  people say they were friendly but Ashton probably used him so he could blame him for all his crap signings.

I don’t really get the nastiness towards LJ. He did his best for us, loved the club, provided some success but ultimately didn’t quite make it so moved on. Pretty much like most of our previous managers but without the love.

I know he talked a lot of nonsense in interviews but why can’t we just wish him all the best and forget about it.

5 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

I don’t really get the nastiness towards LJ. He did his best for us, loved the club, provided some success but ultimately didn’t quite make it so moved on. Pretty much like most of our previous managers but without the love.

I know he talked a lot of nonsense in interviews but why can’t we just wish him all the best and forget about it.

It speaks volumes about the people making these comments, rather than Johnson. 

20 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

I don't miss his waffling nonsense I must admit.

He seems pretty confident he has backing going forwards and he's going to put his stamp on the team. God help Sunderland. 

Or... 49% win percentage and so he definitely should have backing. 

1 hour ago, tin said:

Eight seasons as a head coach for Johnson and zero promotions. Tells us all we need to know, really. 

I think only 4 - half of them - are full seasons, June to May including the recruitment and pre-season. Here, he was trying to get us into the Championship play-offs with just the one full season at a previous club (Oldham). Not enough experience and know-how between him and Ashton, not for us, at this level.

8 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

What success?

13 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

But where's the fun in that?

7 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

To be fair I think it says a lot about Johnson. He rubs people up the wrong way with his bollocks and that’s ignoring his wastefulness of resources. 

1 minute ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Establishing us as a second tier club when we had mostly been a third tier club for a long time. Plus a league cup run to the semifinal where we almost matched one of the best teams in the world.

No one ever mentions the trebling of the wage bill do they? I wonder why. 

Such a fairytale. 

2 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Establishing us as a second tier club when we had mostly been a third tier club for a long time. Plus a league cup run to the semifinal where we almost matched one of the best teams in the world.

I refuse to waste my time with this nonsense. 

2 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Strange how some seem to be enjoying his failure. I don’t get it. Why do you want someone to fail? Quite a sad way to think about things

It's vindication for most that he's a bluffing ****.  And frustration that he was given so much time and resources here. 

9 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

What success?

First major cup semi final in 30 years

Saved us from relegation

Made us into an established championship side, one that spent a lot of time in the top 6 of the division (though ultimately failed to make playoffs and I understand that criticism)

A lot of people on here are either fickle or just lacking a sense of perspective

In my 30 years as a City fan we’ve only ever been an “established” Championship/Level 2 side for a few years and they came under managers with the name Johnson.

He failed to kick on to the next level but FFS he wasn’t a failure and he certainly didn’t “waste 5 years”.

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

First major cup semi final in 30 years

Saved us from relegation

Made us into an established championship side, one that spent a lot of time in the top 6 of the division (though ultimately failed to make playoffs and I understand that criticism)

A lot of people on here are either fickle or just lacking a sense of perspective

In my 30 years as a City fan we’ve only ever been an “established” Championship/Level 2 side for a few years and they came under managers with the name Johnson.

He failed to kick on to the next level but FFS he wasn’t a failure and he certainly didn’t “waste 5 years”.

I'll ask again: what success?  If he was that "successful" why did he get sacked. Should have been given the freedom of the city for these achievements. 

Is he a success at Sunderland for getting them to the play offs?

28 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

22 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

Agreed. It’s all very weird and personal. I’d have liked to see him get Sunderland promoted, just the same as I’d wish any former manager well, and personally I certainly wouldn’t make a thread hoping one of them fails.

I appreciate why people felt he was the wrong appointment or should’ve been sacked earlier.. but all of this personal stuff feels disproportionate. The guy tried his best and his time was up, as often happens.

1 minute ago, cityloyal473 said:

I'll ask again: what success?  If he was that "successful" why did he get sacked. Should have been given the freedom of the city for these achievements. 

Not as successful as either he or we would have liked. That’s the same for the majority of managers.

The question is: why the nasty vitriol against him in particular?

31 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I'd be very surprised if LJ went there. Even though Ashton is a massive bell end he'll know what a dick LJ is having worked with him,  people say they were friendly but Ashton probably used him so he could blame him for all his crap signings.

Agreed although I think that works both ways. LJ has previously alluded to stuff going on behind the scenes here and I'd be amazed if at least some of it wasn't down to Ashton.

It's far from a given that he'd want to work with Ashton again and assuming Sunderland don't get rid this summer I'd be quite interested to see what his recruitment is like without Ashton doing the deals.

1 minute ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Not as successful as either he or we would have liked. That’s the same for the majority of managers.

What vitriol? He's a bluffer and I'm calling him out on it. Talks the talk but cannot walk the walk.  Four clubs now, zero tangible achievements.

Just now, cityloyal473 said:

What vitriol? He's a bluffer and I'm calling him out on it. Talks the talk but cannot walk the walk.  Four clubs now, zero tangible achievements.

No other manager, aside from perhaps Pulis, would get a thread like this - and with Johnson he genuinely tried his best. It’s weird and feels personal.

21 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Had we?

In the 10 years before Lee joined we were in the Championship for 6 of them... finishing higher than when he was here in general too. We were only back in L1 for 2 in between remember.

7 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

He was an extremely divisive player for us, more than any other I can remember for a long time. He replaced an extremely popular manager, many people thought too soon which got him off on a bad foot. He was here for a long time, so people formed strong opinions and stuck by them. His interview style rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

I'm not saying any of that justifies it of course, I think it's definitely OTT, but it's not too hard to understand why.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

No other manager, aside from perhaps Pulis, would get a thread like this - and with Johnson he genuinely tried his best. It’s weird and feels personal.

There's a remarkable crossover in the amount of posters who get annoyed by talk of former players/managers but take delight in blasting LJ at any chance

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed. It’s all very weird and personal. I’d have liked to see him get Sunderland promoted, just the same as I’d wish any former manager well, and personally I certainly wouldn’t make a thread hoping one of them fails.

I appreciate why people felt he was the wrong appointment or should’ve been sacked earlier.. but all of this personal stuff feels disproportionate. The guy tried his best and his time was up, as often happens.

Yep. I can absolutely understand that people don't rate him, didn't want him here or don't like the way he comes across, but for quite a few on here it goes beyond that into something more personal, and in one or two cases it's bordering on obsessive hatred.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I've said on many threads that as a person I genuinely like him.  He's personable and has the best of intentions.

But on a work level the guy is out of his depth and is actually dangerous to his employers. 

Archived