IGNORED

Nicky Maynard

kiwicolin

13 hours ago, Red Army 79 said:

I never really understand the hate for Nicky Maynard bought for 2.2m. Leicester offered around 6m for him club turned it down the summer prior to contract ending, club knew he wanted to leave as he wanted to play premier league football and was sold in January for 1.7m.

I can’t remember him downing his tools. Have I got this wrong?

FAMARA DIÉDHIOU On the other hand!!!!! 

In interviews, he was telling us "i love the club" - then in the background, had no intention on signing a new deal.

Dont pretend you love the club, when you clearly dont and then actively try and leave the club.

He then said negative things about the club when he left.

As for famara, it did appear a similar thing happened, but hes come out and said he wanted to stay and said he loved his time here. Totally different to micky maynard.

What a player he was, one of the best strikers I've seen in my (relatively short) time watching City. As others have said, don't seem to remember him downing tools when he didn't get his move either, can remember him playing a blinder at a trip to St Marys just before he left. Shame he had to be such a pr.ck after he left!

47 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I wonder if Nicky Maynard will look back on his career and wonder if leaving us was the worst thing he ever did 

like him or loathe him, he was quality for us i thought 

Baring in mind he went on to earn a far bigger wage at West Ham, and played in the Premier League whilst we were in League One. Wouldn't really regret it if I made the move to be honest. 

6 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

Maynards goal for us v QPR. 

Cracking goallll 

One of the best of all time. No question, Cruyff-esque.

Should he play against Lincoln I hope he has a completely ineffective game and is subbed in the 85th minute for another striker only for Lincoln to score a 3rd and put it to bed. Poetry at work is that.

No idea what Sincil Bank capacity is these days but their record attendance is a not too shabby 23,000. I reckon they could easily get mid teens when they go up. The area seems to have great support for the club and they should, managed well, be able to hold their own in the 2nd tier.

3 hours ago, EmissionImpossible said:

It’s so odd that people hate Maynard because he said he loved the club and then left. If it’s because of a throw away comment he made, that’s even stranger..

SL said that Micky could have been a lot more up front with his intentions regarding of the running down of his contract. 

That’s as damning as SL will ever get publicly, many remember!

8 hours ago, havanatopia said:

One of the best of all time. No question, Cruyff-esque.

Should he play against Lincoln I hope he has a completely ineffective game and is subbed in the 85th minute for another striker only for Lincoln to score a 3rd and put it to bed. Poetry at work is that.

No idea what Sincil Bank capacity is these days but their record attendance is a not too shabby 23,000. I reckon they could easily get mid teens when they go up. The area seems to have great support for the club and they should, managed well, be able to hold their own in the 2nd tier.

Errmm...Newport in L2 final. Lincoln in L1 final 

The truth of the matter was he was one of those players for whom injury transforms them from 'something special' into 'A N Other'.

We did well to offload when we did & although he did little to endear himself to City fans once crocked, in his pre-injury days he was a delight to watch.

It's not often we sign a highly thought of young striker for what was at the time (and still would be I guess) a lot of money for us, who hits a hat-trick on his friendly debut v Royal Antwerp was it?

Imagine the fanfare on here if we did that now!

9 minutes ago, grifty said:

It's not often we sign a highly thought of young striker for what was at the time (and still would be I guess) a lot of money for us, who hits a hat-trick on his friendly debut v Royal Antwerp was it?

And yet many are questioning us looking at Humphrys, Yates, etc.

14 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

That wonder goal against Wolves on Sky in the wind and rain will stay in my mind`s eye for ever I think. What a game that was. 2-0 down and his goal got it back to 2-2 in the 87th minute.

That game got turned on its head by the introduction of Dele Adebola... what an underrated player he was. 

4 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

That game got turned on its head by the introduction of Dele Adebola... what an underrated player he was. 

Over-rated you mean?

We would constantly pump the ball up to him. He'd win nearly every header... but would never find a city shirt. We become very predictable when we signed him

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

And yet many are questioning us looking at Humphrys, Yates, etc.

Oh come on Dave, the game has changed a lot in 12 years. 

For every Maynard, there's a Taylor (admittingly I liked him).

5 hours ago, grifty said:

I was at that game and he was a different class. I remember the Royal Antwerp fans made a right racket as well! 

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Oh come on Dave, the game has changed a lot in 12 years. 

For every Maynard, there's a Taylor (admittingly I liked him).

Totally, but prove it’s about recruiting the right player, not basing it on the league they come from.

On 24/05/2021 at 09:11, Riaz said:

In interviews, he was telling us "i love the club" - then in the background, had no intention on signing a new deal.

Dont pretend you love the club, when you clearly dont and then actively try and leave the club.

He then said negative things about the club when he left.

As for famara, it did appear a similar thing happened, but hes come out and said he wanted to stay and said he loved his time here. Totally different to micky maynard.

Well tbf, he's not going to come out and say he hated the club while he was still here was he?

Also as someone who doesn't support City, why would he want to stay when premier league clubs are after him.

If I was a pro player at QPR, and they turned down 6 million quid and stopped me moving to play in the prem and making a bucket load more money in the process, I'd be pretty peaved too.

Not a personal dig at you, but I'm always baffled when fans expect a player to love their club as much as they do. For them its only a job and bettering of their career and securing their financial security for their family. Also players careers are so short that 1 year extra at a club doesn't sound much, but when a players prime last maybe 5 or 6 years its a big commitment

15 minutes ago, Berkshire Red said:

Well tbf, he's not going to come out and say he hated the club while he was still here was he?

Also as someone who doesn't support City, why would he want to stay when premier league clubs are after him.

If I was a pro player at QPR, and they turned down 6 million quid and stopped me moving to play in the prem and making a bucket load more money in the process, I'd be pretty peaved too.

Not a personal dig at you, but I'm always baffled when fans expect a player to love their club as much as they do. For them its only a job and bettering of their career and securing their financial security for their family. Also players careers are so short that 1 year extra at a club doesn't sound much, but when a players prime last maybe 5 or 6 years its a big commitment

Totally missed the point. I dont expect a player not from bristol to love the club!

Point is, dont tell us you love the club. You clearly dont. Many players come and go and most dont tell us they love Bristol City. He didnt have to say that.

He was a snake.

On 24/05/2021 at 21:26, havanatopia said:

Ground holds just over 10k and they average around 9k.

Should be sell outs every game up there.

Archived