IGNORED

SL sunday times rich list

Greedo

Shows what investment in sport gets you, he has only about half the value of Mr Hargreaves now, no wonder he is looking for some co-investors.

I might have missed them, but where are people like Bill Gates and Elon Musk or Steve Bezos? I thought they were supposed to be the richest people in the universe.

Also no sign of the Al-Qaedi family must surely throw the authenticity here into doubt. :)

13 minutes ago, Greedo said:

Sunday Times rich list out today

Steve falls to 124th on the list from 105th last year, but with an increase of £15M up to a total worth of £1.37Bn

Billionaires might be society’s moral failing, but they have built us a nice stadium.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/sunday-times-rich-list#TableFullRichList

Poor old Stevie boy eh. 

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I might have missed them, but where are people like Bill Gates and Elon Musk or Steve Bezos? I thought they were supposed to be the richest people in the universe.

It’s a British list, I.e people based in the UK

4 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Does any of this matter. Why are people so fixated by who the richest are, or who might be the richest man in football. Perhaps the Daily Mirror could draw up a poor list. 

Hard disagree. It would be irresponsible to not document who controls the majority of wealth in the UK. 

1 minute ago, Greedo said:

Hard disagree. It would be irresponsible to not document who controls the majority of wealth in the UK. 

How many on that list have inherited wealth? Probably the vast majority. Also how much of that wealth is related to land or property ownership? Again probably the majority.

I used to have a boss who lauded it about talking about how wealthy he was. Inherited from his Father and he bought several houses in Bath. Not that hard really is it? Big headed **** he was

27 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Does any of this matter. Why are people so fixated by who the richest are, or who might be the richest man in football. Perhaps the Daily Mirror could draw up a poor list. 

I agree, but it's human nature to have an almost voyeuristic interest in this sort of thing so it'll always be popular. 

46 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I'd be at No 1

I think the interesting thing is that SL is going backwards while the 'elite' on this list have gone up this year collectively by over 20%.

Those involved in the financial industry have generally done well as asset values have soared. 

The fact Steve has been ploughing money into a sports empire that  eats it up at a horrendous rate must be making him think hard. No doubt part of the reason he is looking for outside investment.

Losing £50m a year while also putting more investment into infrastructure will make a dent in even his wealth that could set alarm bells ringing. 

13 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I think the interesting thing is that SL is going backwards while the 'elite' on this list have gone up this year collectively by over 20%.

Those involved in the financial industry have generally done well as asset values have soared. 

The fact Steve has been ploughing money into a sports empire that  eats it up at a horrendous rate must be making him think hard. No doubt part of the reason he is looking for outside investment.

Losing £50m a year while also putting more investment into infrastructure will make a dent in even his wealth that could set alarm bells ringing. 

Going backwards against a group of super wealthy people.

Still made 15mil.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Shows what investment in sport gets you, he has only about half the value of Mr Hargreaves now, no wonder he is looking for some co-investors.

Also no sign of the Al-Qaedi family must surely throw the authenticity here into doubt. :)

Speaking of Musk, murmurs of a new giga factory for Tesla In Somerset, perhaps he fancies investing in a local football team…. Or a sponsorship attempt from the club 

48 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Yes his investment in sport runs at an eye watering loss.

But despite that, poor old Steve has still got more money than the least time this list was published 12 months ago - 15 MILLION quid more (if these figures are accurate).

In other words, his overall investments are doing very nicely thank you, if not quite so well as 123 other plutocrats.

My heart bleeds for him.

At which point in such threads, it's always compulsory to point out we are all incredibly grateful for his investment in OUR football club. Because we wouldn't want anyone to think that, by pointing out the facts of the matter - i.e. his writing off loss after loss after loss at City makes no difference to his overall wealth - we are somehow being treacherous ingrates. Would we? 

1 hour ago, Greedo said:

Steve falls to 124th on the list from 105th last year, but with an increase of £15M up to a total worth of £1.37Bn

Billionaires might be society’s moral failing, but they have built us a nice stadium.

That rise of £15M is telling. He's dropped not because he's lost or spent loads, he's dropped because during the pandemic people with money, made more money. In the last year there have been 24 'new' Billionaires created. There are now 171 Billionaires in the UK alone. SL has effectively retired from Hargreaves Lansdown as far as I know , he keeps some shares but is not hands on. Given his interest with the sporting group and building a legacy, I'm amazed he has managed to increase his wealth at all. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/may/21/number-of-billionaires-in-uk-reached-new-record-during-covid-pandemic

£15m more than last year but more than £350m less over 2 years. Stock markets are at record levels. Presumably he hasn't recovered as well as others because he invested in his hobbies instead. 

You can sneer all you like at his wealth. All I'm saying is a man like Steve will be wincing at that size of a drop over the last 2 years. Try extrapolating that trend...... 

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

All changes if city get promoted, city in the premier league is a gold mine for him and the city

21 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

£15m more than last year but more than £350m less over 2 years. Stock markets are at record levels. Presumably he hasn't recovered as well as others because he invested in his hobbies instead. 

You can sneer all you like at his wealth. All I'm saying is a man like Steve will be wincing at that size of a drop over the last 2 years. Try extrapolating that trend...... 

Yep, my heart bleeds for him. But the facts are the facts - he's a Billionaire and will never want for a single thing for the rest of his life.

Good luck to him. 

2 hours ago, Greedo said:

Mrs L is taking a reduction in her dress allowance with great dignity!

2 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

‘Must be making him think hard’ ?

”Jon, I’m concerned that my total wealth will still only look after maybe the next 20 generations of our family, it’s time to start tightening the belt”

Not necessarily a disaster as Steve ‘cashed in’ first £160m of shares and then £103m of shares in 2020 which could account for that ‘dip’. The Sunday Times Rich List relies largely on share and asset values and not cash in the bank. With share prices tumbling (Steve cashed in when stocks were high) so money in the bank may be safer during turbulent times. Mrs L has probably had a rise in her housekeeping money and Jon may have had a few extra ‘bags’ on his recent Caribbean trip.

Archived