IGNORED

Extended interview with KEITH MILLEN

Shtanley

37 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Might have misheard, but I'm pretty sure he did rule out Lansdown. Though could be just protection of course.

Yeah does seem odd - can't imagine anyone else being the man behind bringing David James in, and certainly doesn't sound like it was Coppell.

Great interview, really interesting insight into the GJ/Coppell/Millen years and interesting how even he thought the dressing room wasn't up to much in 2010.

Colin Sexstone definitely didn't help recruitment-wise - not long before Millen got sacked, Martyn Waghorn was meant to be coming in from Leicester on deadline day. The deal went on too late to be a permanent transfer so Sexstone told Millen they'd get him in on loan when the window re-opened a week later, and by the time Millen got home apparently he turned on Sky Sports News and saw him being announced at Hull. Can't understand how we got relegated the following season...

I've no doubt it was SL who brought James in - I think that's widely accepted now. I just didn't quite that impression from what Millen said on the other signings. Seems odd to me that SL would go over everyone's head to bring in Stewart, Hunt, Cisse, etc, particularly on big money. Though perhaps he was just protecting his ex-boss, I'm not sure.

5 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I've no doubt it was SL who brought James in - I think that's widely accepted now. I just didn't quite that impression from what Millen said on the other signings. Seems odd to me that SL would go over everyone's head to bring in Stewart, Hunt, Cisse, etc, particularly on big money. Though perhaps he was just protecting his ex-boss, I'm not sure.

Personally think that the vast majority of them weren’t Coppell signings except Cisse. I’d imagine Millen asked for support to get Stead and Pitman in as his own signings after being left in the shit

I’ll definitely give this a listen.

Not a popular view but I have a lot of time for Millen, an excellent assistant to GJ after the Tinnion debacle & someone who steadied the ship well post Coppell.

Reckon he would have been given a bit longer if he had been a bigger name.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Not a popular view but I have a lot of time for Millen, an excellent assistant to GJ after the Tinnion debacle & someone who steadied the ship well post Coppell.

Reckon he would have been given a bit longer if he had been a bigger name.

Don’t know why that shouldn’t be a popular view - Keith was a great servant for this club and even City fan should respect him.  Great interview, by the way, though I’m still not clear who signed Damian Stewart and Nicky Hunt.  The bit about Bradley and Booker’s prison sentence was genuinely chilling!

Just listened, apart from what clearly appears to be 2 instances of deliberate amnesia he comes across really well & is obviously a good bloke.

Interesting that he mentions potentially coming back to the U23 job under LJ, we could have done a lot worse.

2 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Sounded rather shambolic during the Coppell time, and he says , we signed a group of players without rhyme or reason, it was a collection of players bit not a team. We are masters at deja vu . 

This is very true, but although James sticks out like a sore thumb, Nicky Hunt had just had a decent loan spell at Derby and Damion Stewart had been QPR's player of the year the previous season (although having seen him for us, god knows who came second). Still, something clearly wasn't right and perhaps our due diligence on their character etc. could've been a lot better?

4 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

This is very true, but although James sticks out like a sore thumb, Nicky Hunt had just had a decent loan spell at Derby and Damion Stewart had been QPR's player of the year the previous season (although having seen him for us, god knows who came second). Still, something clearly wasn't right and perhaps our due diligence on their character etc. could've been a lot better?

IIRC Stewart had had a horrific skull injury too, probably explains why he didn’t go for any headers, so no real due diligence on that either! 

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Don’t know why that shouldn’t be a popular view - Keith was a great servant for this club and even City fan should respect him.  Great interview, by the way, though I’m still not clear who signed Damian Stewart and Nicky Hunt.  The bit about Bradley and Booker’s prison sentence was genuinely chilling!

I do remember at the time that GJ said he was shocked when he visited the players and had absolutely no idea of the conditions and surroundings they were in (then again, why would he). 

4 hours ago, petehinton said:

IIRC Stewart had had a horrific skull injury too, probably explains why he didn’t go for any headers, so no real due diligence on that either! 

That's a really good point. Seems like we signed Stewart just a few months after he had a fractured skull (although it didn't require surgery). Might well be the reason his career went down the pan after signing for us.

Cheers all for the lovely messages, glad people enjoy it as much as we enjoyed recording it. Has been a real rocket in terms of chart position for us too, not ever really cared/looked at it before but we're right in amongst the big boys funded by The Athletic etc, which is unheard of really for little old club podcasts. Keep spreading the word ? 

image.png.cea4ea33656f18c5da6cbafc9b18732c.png

38 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Cheers all for the lovely messages, glad people enjoy it as much as we enjoyed recording it. Has been a real rocket in terms of chart position for us too, not ever really cared/looked at it before but we're right in amongst the big boys funded by The Athletic etc, which is unheard of really for little old club podcasts. Keep spreading the word ? 

image.png.cea4ea33656f18c5da6cbafc9b18732c.png

Nice one and fully deserved.

As far as I can make out its only Leeds, Arsenal. Liverpool, and Man.Utd in the top 20 with little Bristol City.

https://chartable.com/charts/itunes/gb-soccer-podcasts

15 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Great interview! Interesting preview clip you guys shared on your Twitter, especially with the camera angle he used of himself...

Screenshot_20210524-203228.png

Same face I make after I’ve finished on the toilet at a friends house hoping it’ll flush 

Archived