IGNORED

Extended interview with KEITH MILLEN

Shtanley

On 25/05/2021 at 13:51, The Bard said:

Great interview. David James came across as a complete drama queen. 

Just wondering when a certain Mr Ashton was involved as a consultant?  Anyone know any specific dates? Keith was a bit forgetful about how some players arrived....

Yeah, I heard Ashton was responsible for Coppell’s arrival/departure, and for Nicky Hunt too. Apparently he was on holiday when Albert came, so he can’t have credit for that one. He had a hand in us going broke back in 1982 as well. ?

On 25/05/2021 at 11:16, petehinton said:

Cheers all for the lovely messages, glad people enjoy it as much as we enjoyed recording it. Has been a real rocket in terms of chart position for us too, not ever really cared/looked at it before but we're right in amongst the big boys funded by The Athletic etc, which is unheard of really for little old club podcasts. Keep spreading the word ? 

image.png.cea4ea33656f18c5da6cbafc9b18732c.png

If you thought that was special……

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-coppell-david-james-5457108

On 23/05/2021 at 10:57, Shtanley said:

Hello OTIB,

Me and @petehintoninterviewed Keith Millen for One Stream in Bristol this week. It's out now!

Keith talks Steve Coppell's infamous era, getting punched by a player, David James' pet hate and Peter Styvar.

As well as his love for the club.

Listen here

In my opinion you should have pressed Millen on who it was who made the decision to sign those players. Millen just waffled his way to a non answer. He coughed and said he could not remember... That's total bullshit. He is either covering for Coppell or covering for SL. 

Here is another thought; what self respecting manager would join a club if he does not do the recruitment. This is total nonsense. 

More importantly though is that I am not buying Millens story whatsoever. And if it was such a shambles why on earth would he take the top job thereafter when he went to pains to explain earlier that the circumstances were not right for him... Different on this occasion but more blatantly not right.

Millen is very guarded in his answers and he somewhat contradicts himself on a couple other points.

I can only assume he has a legal muzzle on him. For whatever reason. Maybe he has done a deal to protect Coppell. He says they are mates. This was Coppell's mess and nobody else's. But even, in the small chance, it was not, Millen is still hiding the answer on who made the signings. 

7 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Here is another thought; what self respecting manager would join a club if he does not do the recruitment. This is total nonsense. 

I think Coppell WAS expecting to do the recruitment - by that I mean suggest players he wanted and let the club do the negotiations, contracts etc - but that didn't happen in the way he expected......hence the flounce.  Coppell suggested Ingmarsson and Kitson but SL vetoed them as too old, expensive, and in Ingmarrson's just recovered from an injury. SL then - behind Coppell's back signed "Jamo" who was equally old, (very) expensive, and (as per Millen) carrying an injury that restricted his training.  The other new players - according to KM - arrived at the last minute recommended by agents and again KM said they had little input. At that point Steve Coppell decided I'm out.

Coppell was a strange guy though.  Simon Jordan - in his book - gave an example of just how difficult he was.

Jordan said he asked Coppell who he would like as his assistant and Coppell replied "Bobby Houghton".  Jordan says ok we'll make contact and see if he's interested  - and what money do you think he'd want?.

Coppell then says "he on £400K at Malmo"  

Jordan " but that's more than you earn here"

Coppell " The wage is irrelevant, he wouldn't be interested in a No 2 role anyway"

Jordan " so why did you suggest him"

Coppell "I didn't, you said who would I like not who would be realistic"

8 hours ago, havanatopia said:

In my opinion you should have pressed Millen on who it was who made the decision to sign those players. Millen just waffled his way to a non answer. He coughed and said he could not remember... That's total bullshit. He is either covering for Coppell or covering for SL. 

More importantly though is that I am not buying Millens story whatsoever. And if it was such a shambles why on earth would he take the top job thereafter when he went to pains to explain earlier that the circumstances were not right for him... Different on this occasion but more blatantly not right.

Millen is very guarded in his answers and he somewhat contradicts himself on a couple other points.

I can only assume he has a legal muzzle on him. For whatever reason. Maybe he has done a deal to protect Coppell. He says they are mates. This was Coppell's mess and nobody else's. But even, in the small chance, it was not, Millen is still hiding the answer on who made the signings. 

Someone who clearly would like to comeback to the club, isn’t going to spill the beans on who it was.

It may have been very awkward if he was pushed on the subject, just my opinion!.

5 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Someone who clearly would like to comeback to the club, isn’t going to spill the beans on who it was.

It may have been very awkward if he was pushed on the subject, just my opinion!.

Probably right. I don't honestly know what he brings to the table though frankly. He may be a decent bloke but not articulate enough in my opinion.

Further, had he been articulate, IE smarter, he would have said, sorry I am not at liberty to divulge who made those decisions. You end it right there. Instead he pretended he had forgotten... Never a good decision to lie. 

You can absolutely see why he would never be cut out to be a manager. Coaching seems to be his bent.

This interview was enlightening to say the least. Keith is obviously a good football man but I think his interview sheds light on the fact that the club was not operated very professionally in those days. Steve Coppell obviously looked at this and realised it wasn’t for him. It’s a shame that we missed out on seeing a man of Coppells calibre manage our football team. Also, David James does not sound like the type of personality that you would want at a professionally run club. Hopefully we have moved on from those days and NP and the set up at the HPC will promote professionalism at the club going forward. I often think that the technology and media that we see around football these days cloaks the fact that in many respects the game is a simple game run and participated in by ordinary people. The reality does not reflect the gloss apart from at the very highest level. Let’s hope that we can see BCFC at that level within the next few years!

Archived