IGNORED

VAR

The Bard

19 hours ago, sephjnr said:

I'd certainly want public retractions on crappy decisions that could potentially cost millions of pounds for clubs. I ABSOLUTELY want better communincation to the stadium (and TV) audience as to what's being reviewed and why, and it is IMPERATIVE that if any benefit of doubt is present to a particular decision, that same benefit must apply to *all* decisions. "Clear and obvious" can't coexist with pixel measurement from angles that can't be dead-on due to the current tech.

I'm ignoring the rest of your zero-sum blabbering as you seem to believe the people in charge can't do any better with adapting to a system that seems to be working bettter elsewhere in the world, not just in English football.

IFAB who oversee the international rules of the game are consistently providing guidance to adapt the game. VAR has challenges all over the globe because FA's and referees use differing interpretations of rules and our interpretations can be affected by many variables e.g. football culture. Rules are frequently subjective. The rules are not black and white. 

You may want better communication. It is not imperative. Its a game. You are viewing it as a product in your first line. Football cannot be exact, it is messy, it is at times chaotic, error is part of football and it cannot be a exact product governed by black and white laws.

Clear and obvious can exist with VAR. It operates at 40fpm and given possible speeds of players there is a margin of error of up to 38cm when viewing offsides for instance. There is a obvious scope there to create a metric for the clear and obvious. At present VAR is being used to apply offside to decisions in millimetres, 2mm v a recent decision. That means VAR could easily have been incorrect due the range of error between frames.       

Personally I would ditch it. VAR is undermining the authority of referees and linesmen. 

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

have you ever refereed a football match in your life, if you haven’t then volunteer and try it, because you would be absolutely shocked to find out how hard it is.

It is incredibly hard. 

I've done some joke 5 a side reffing and you get people moaning about some decision over a throw-in in division 5 of Thursday night league haha! So you only have to imagine what it is like with 50,000 people or something. Sadly VAR does nothing to enhance the viewing or help the refs overall so should be scrapped.

4 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Where is it working better? 

Every other sport that uses footage to judge plays has managed to develop the technology to be used in short timespans, communicate reviews and jugements to audiences in a clear manner., have reasonably consistent judgements and thus have become accepted parts of the games. In football, at a global level, it worked fairly well in the 2018 world cup to general plaudits. So why has it *not* been developed since implemented in this country?

VAR is a complete farce, football matches are between 22 players who make constant mistakes, and 3 officials who make the odd mistake.

This, because they are human beings.

So are players. Their mistakes are judged in different priority systems and punished accordingly, and these judgements are transparent. Referees are not. As you've admitted some get shunted down the pyramid, some don't get used any more, others even apologise for bad calls (that have costed millions in hindsight) but these judgements are *nowhere* near as obvious to the general public.

Get the game back to the way it’s always been, and stop pandering to tv audiences and tv companies.

Yes, we all know mistakes get made, but that is part of the game we all use to love, nowadays it’s turned into a farce.

Then we'll get back to bitching at those same refs you hug onto. Type "Andy D'urso" into a Google search and 'is a disgrace' is near the top of an auto-fill suggestion. "Homer" refs, under your wont, would have greater protection from any rebuke and may probably have even less review of their performance.

As for my “blabbering”, have you ever refereed a football match in your life, if you haven’t then volunteer and try it, because you would be absolutely shocked to find out how hard it is.

I probably would. That is why VAR is supposed to exist - to make the game easier to judge. Yet it's not right because in *SOME* places there is benefit of doubt, and in *OTHERS* they need millimetres on line graphs. And in *OTHER* places refs can say "oh, the accidental handball didn't affect the shot" and you'd get cheers on one side and foaming at the mouth of the other. These inconsistencies would *STILL* be here if VAR were to be stopped, and I bet you would chalk them down to "that's the game we love". SO WHY IS THE TECHNOLOGY THE PROBLEM AGAIN?

Pointless getting rid of VAR now, it can and will get better so why get rid of it when you’ve suffered the worst bit. Trialing the nearly automated offside tech next year is an obvious example of improvements that are coming.

It’d help if they broadcast the conversations and the conversations were had with this in mind. Of course, a big part of the problem is football fans find it impossible to just accept a decision and really want it to confirm what they think a lot of the time but at least hearing the explanation might open people up to accepting subjective decisions a bit more. It might also help clear up clear and obvious.

Also it would help if VAR decisions were praised anywhere near as much as they are derided. Such imbalance in the reaction to it means only negatives are ever really highlighted. There’s been some great use cases of it this year as well as some awful ones.

3 hours ago, Cowshed said:

You may want better communication. It is not imperative. Its a game. You are viewing it as a product in your first line. Football cannot be exact, it is messy, it is at times chaotic, error is part of football and it cannot be a exact product governed by black and white laws.

It *is* imperative as people in stadia are not told why a particular play is reviewed and thus can, will, and have grown impatient. Without adding a single penny (or adding very little) having the referee direct an annoucement to the public PA would improve this communication.

I do not want the game *exact*. I want it *better than it is*. And going back doesn't assure it will get better when refs will still get yelled / screamed at by half an audience. I'll settle for mild disgruntlement and better understanding.

Clear and obvious can exist with VAR. It operates at 40fpm and given possible speeds of players there is a margin of error of up to 38cm when viewing offsides for instance. There is a obvious scope there to create a metric for the clear and obvious. At present VAR is being used to apply offside to decisions in millimetres, 2mm v a recent decision. That means VAR could easily have been incorrect due the range of error between frames.       

Glad that someone could provide a rational explanation. But do you mean 40FPM as in 40 *frames per minute*? I can understand but for 2021 technology that's staggeringly slow. Even if you mean 40FPS there's still plenty of room to develop that area. More cameras closer to the goal-line would help.

Personally I would ditch it. VAR is undermining the authority of referees and linesmen. 

As above, the game may not be "better" without it, people who can't think of a better way will just toss their hands up.

2 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

It’d help if they broadcast the conversations and the conversations were had with this in mind. Of course, a big part of the problem is football fans find it impossible to just accept a decision and really want it to confirm what they think a lot of the time but at least hearing the explanation might open people up to accepting subjective decisions a bit more. It might also help clear up clear and obvious.

Also it would help if VAR decisions were praised anywhere near as much as they are derided. Such imbalance in the reaction to it means only negatives are ever really highlighted. There’s been some great use cases of it this year as well as some awful ones.

THANK YOU ON BOTH OF THESE POINTS.

3 hours ago, sephjnr said:

It *is* imperative as people in stadia are not told why a particular play is reviewed and thus can, will, and have grown impatient. Without adding a single penny (or adding very little) having the referee direct an annoucement to the public PA would improve this communication.

I do not want the game *exact*. I want it *better than it is*. And going back doesn't assure it will get better when refs will still get yelled / screamed at by half an audience. I'll settle for mild disgruntlement and better understanding.

Glad that someone could provide a rational explanation. But do you mean 40FPM as in 40 *frames per minute*? I can understand but for 2021 technology that's staggeringly slow. Even if you mean 40FPS there's still plenty of room to develop that area. More cameras closer to the goal-line would help.

As above, the game may not be "better" without it, people who can't think of a better way will just toss their hands up.

THANK YOU ON BOTH OF THESE POINTS.

No it is not imperative. It is not vital to the game of football. Football exists without your desire and has for a century. 

I did mean 40 fps and a margin of error of 38cm for offsides. 

VAR brings scrutiny to the referees calls be it evidence conclusively shows the on-field call is right, evidence conclusively shows the on-field call is incorrect and video evidence does not clearly indicate the call was correct of incorrect. 

Do you think the above is a foul? 

Amongst qualified referees there was wide disagreement (60 - 40 in favour). The ref in the game ... Well there is the pundits response. 

Better would be upholding the authority of the referees who are not cheats, who are not embarrassing, who work hard at progressing to be refs and d this diligently and honestly. VAR by it nature has to undermine the officials frequently, and will create ambiguity over decisions where even the qualified will disagree. 

The refs decision should be final and respected. That finality was progressed over a hundred years, now the refs are being informed .. They are not final.

8 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Better would be upholding the authority of the referees who are not cheats, who are not embarrassing, who work hard at progressing to be refs and d this diligently and honestly. VAR by it nature has to undermine the officials frequently, and will create ambiguity over decisions where even the qualified will disagree. 

The refs decision should be final and respected. That finality was progressed over a hundred years, now the refs are being informed .. They are not final.

The ref looks at the monitor and makes the decision, as happens in the example you posted. Thus it’s still the ref’s decision but is given with a more complete view of the situation.

I think it was a ridiculous decision but the referee was in no way undermined because he was the one who made the decision. People talk about the fact the ref is asked to look as putting pressure on the ref to change his decision but if you don’t have the backbone to stand your ground when looking at the screen if you genuinely believe you were right, you’re not up to refereeing PL football.

This another part of the problem, people talk about VAR as some sort of alien puppeteer if referees rather than referees making decisions with more information available to them. If the VAR is shit, it’s either the rules or the folk interpreting the rules. 

10 hours ago, sephjnr said:

Every other sport that uses footage to judge plays has managed to develop the technology to be used in short timespans, communicate reviews and jugements to audiences in a clear manner., have reasonably consistent judgements and thus have become accepted parts of the games. In football, at a global level, it worked fairly well in the 2018 world cup to general plaudits. So why has it *not* been developed since implemented in this country?

So are players. Their mistakes are judged in different priority systems and punished accordingly, and these judgements are transparent. Referees are not. As you've admitted some get shunted down the pyramid, some don't get used any more, others even apologise for bad calls (that have costed millions in hindsight) but these judgements are *nowhere* near as obvious to the general public.

Then we'll get back to bitching at those same refs you hug onto. Type "Andy D'urso" into a Google search and 'is a disgrace' is near the top of an auto-fill suggestion. "Homer" refs, under your wont, would have greater protection from any rebuke and may probably have even less review of their performance.

I probably would. That is why VAR is supposed to exist - to make the game easier to judge. Yet it's not right because in *SOME* places there is benefit of doubt, and in *OTHERS* they need millimetres on line graphs. And in *OTHER* places refs can say "oh, the accidental handball didn't affect the shot" and you'd get cheers on one side and foaming at the mouth of the other. These inconsistencies would *STILL* be here if VAR were to be stopped, and I bet you would chalk them down to "that's the game we love". SO WHY IS THE TECHNOLOGY THE PROBLEM AGAIN?

Rather than me reply with point after point, it’s much easier for me to say…. that I think you have a problem in with referees, and officials in general. 
I get the feeling you spend 90 minutes berating every decision made by them.

If you can’t see that football is a completely different kind of game than the likes of Rugby and cricket, and technology in these games is a lot easier to use, then so be it.

16 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Where is it working better? 

VAR is a complete farce, football matches are between 22 players who make constant mistakes, and 3 officials who make the odd mistake.

This, because they are human beings.

Get the game back to the way it’s always been, and stop pandering to tv audiences and tv companies.

Yes, we all know mistakes get made, but that is part of the game we all use to love, nowadays it’s turned into a farce.

As for my “blabbering”, have you ever refereed a football match in your life, if you haven’t then volunteer and try it, because you would be absolutely shocked to find out how hard it is.

I reffed an u16 game once - it was horrendous 

5 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

I get the feeling you spend 90 minutes berating every decision made by them.

That's your privilege to feel that way. You're not correct. VAR in this country is in the mess it is because judgements are inconsistent and infuriating, which has been the problem forever, and your solution to just bin it off and go back to where things were is not going to solve anything. You want referees to have greater respect yet at the same time you want to go back to people ranting and raving at the ref missing / getting things wrong because "it's part of the sport". That's two-faced.

Football at the top in this country has ego problems on both the playing and - at times - officiating levels (DEFINITELY at the governing level). If you want refs to be afforded more respect we can't create situations where refs that do make biased judgements are afforded greater protection and lesser scrutiny. That feeling itself will filter further down the pyramid and make the problems you outline far, far worse as fans will further take their frustrations out on volunteer refs. Here I completely agree with you, so whatever happens cannot be allowed to make it worse.

Furthermore even if you believe instances of bias are rare they have far more damaging repercussions for the clubs that suffer the short end, and managers that do speak out are uniformly disciplined / fined right off the bat. If they have mechanisms to make formal complaints these aren't clear and obvious to the general public.

5 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

If you can’t see that football is a completely different kind of game than the likes of Rugby and cricket, and technology in these games is a lot easier to use, then so be it.

I do see that it's not the same sport. I don't use that notion to justify why it should be exempt from evolution. The tech has been developed and allowed to develop. Why do people feel it has to be perfect right out of the box? sort out the consistency and pacing of the judgements and it will work better. You want a better example? Villa getting a massive letoff when the Goal-Line tech hadn't been switched on just after the COVID restart. Did anyone get fined over that incident? it helped to cost Bournemouth their spot in the PL and a ton of money. Before the technology was even a thing City benefited from said error (the Freddie Sears ghost goal).

27 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

That's your privilege to feel that way. You're not correct. VAR in this country is in the mess it is because judgements are inconsistent and infuriating, which has been the problem forever, and your solution to just bin it off and go back to where things were is not going to solve anything. You want referees to have greater respect yet at the same time you want to go back to people ranting and raving at the ref missing / getting things wrong because "it's part of the sport". That's two-faced.

Football at the top in this country has ego problems on both the playing and - at times - officiating levels (DEFINITELY at the governing level). If you want refs to be afforded more respect we can't create situations where refs that do make biased judgements are afforded greater protection and lesser scrutiny. That feeling itself will filter further down the pyramid and make the problems you outline far, far worse as fans will further take their frustrations out on volunteer refs. Here I completely agree with you, so whatever happens cannot be allowed to make it worse.

Furthermore even if you believe instances of bias are rare they have far more damaging repercussions for the clubs that suffer the short end, and managers that do speak out are uniformly disciplined / fined right off the bat. If they have mechanisms to make formal complaints these aren't clear and obvious to the general public.

I do see that it's not the same sport. I don't use that notion to justify why it should be exempt from evolution. The tech has been developed and allowed to develop. Why do people feel it has to be perfect right out of the box? sort out the consistency and pacing of the judgements and it will work better. You want a better example? Villa getting a massive letoff when the Goal-Line tech hadn't been switched on just after the COVID restart. Did anyone get fined over that incident? it helped to cost Bournemouth their spot in the PL and a ton of money. Before the technology was even a thing City benefited from said error (the Freddie Sears ghost goal).

I don’t want to be like rugby thanks where literally every try is checked - i hate it 

It’s not for everyone but i like the spontaneous reaction to a goal, eventually that will go as football will follow the same route.

24 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

Mate, I can’t be arsed to even read all of your post, no disrespect intended ?.

The simple answer I will give you is.

Referees administer the laws of the game, end of. There are no grey areas in the laws, var has just created a monster. This monster wasn’t needed, there was nothing wrong with our game, players and officials make mistakes, accept it, it’s a game of football which I for one,want to enjoy.

Tv companies started freeze framing offside decisions to try to prove linesman wrong, they very rarely did, but now every offside is scrutinised down to a toe nail.

We don’t need VAR, we need Football back.

11 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Then keep that opinion to yourself and leave it to people who can actually debate instead of parroting the same braindead crap. I have shown where I agreed with you, and least Cowshed went to the trouble of elaborating on the tech itself.

Football *is* back. There's plenty wrong with it we have had a year out to resolve and it just hasn't happened. And in your last post you made a new assumption - TV companies having an axe to grind - that does have merit and does warrant further discussion. Back that up, learn to debate points, then come back to the argument.

23 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I don’t want to be like rugby thanks where literally every try is checked - i hate it 

It’s not for everyone but i like the spontaneous reaction to a goal, eventually that will go as football will follow the same route.

We still are getting spontanous reactions to goals. That won't stop, not every decision is stopped for 5 minutes at a time, and *UNLIKE* Cowshed I think that cutting down review time and having clearer explanations will help integrate VAR better.

9 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

Then keep that opinion to yourself and leave it to people who can actually debate instead of parroting the same braindead crap. I have shown where I agreed with you, and least Cowshed went to the trouble of elaborating on the tech itself.

Football *is* back. There's plenty wrong with it we have had a year out to resolve and it just hasn't happened. And in your last post you made a new assumption - TV companies having an axe to grind - that does have merit and does warrant further discussion. Back that up, learn to debate points, then come back to the argument.

We still are getting spontanous reactions to goals. That won't stop, not every decision is stopped for 5 minutes at a time, and *UNLIKE* Cowshed I think that cutting down review time and having clearer explanations will help integrate VAR better.

We are now but i honestly think that will change as time goes on....when every goal is checked you will naturally curb your celebrations i think. As said though it’s not going to change so i will do something else on a Saturday afternoon and catch the odd game 

13 hours ago, Ostrich said:

The ref looks at the monitor and makes the decision, as happens in the example you posted. Thus it’s still the ref’s decision but is given with a more complete view of the situation.

I think it was a ridiculous decision but the referee was in no way undermined because he was the one who made the decision. People talk about the fact the ref is asked to look as putting pressure on the ref to change his decision but if you don’t have the backbone to stand your ground when looking at the screen if you genuinely believe you were right, you’re not up to refereeing PL football.

This another part of the problem, people talk about VAR as some sort of alien puppeteer if referees rather than referees making decisions with more information available to them. If the VAR is shit, it’s either the rules or the folk interpreting the rules. 

The ref looks double post.

13 hours ago, Ostrich said:

The ref looks at the monitor at the bequest of others. That is based upon the interpretation of others. That the ref is now not looking at clear and obvious error is without question. This is an alteration to how the game is managed. Referees are looking for miniscule detail and in the case of offside giving decisions that may very well that are within the technologies room of error e.g. 2mm v 38cm. This clearly has to put pressure on referees to alter decisions. Its logical to understand how referees this will negatively affect the mindset of referees. That is normal and human. 

You thought the McTominay foul was ridiculous, so the majority of qualified referees disagree with you and are therefore not competent and to up to the task! You in your post are implying some refs and this interpreting rules are shit. No they are human and divergent. Football has rules unlike other games which due to its nature of play have to be subjective and open to interpretation. 

You are attacking referees. A obvious undermining of authority v upholding the value of its the referees decision and authority. 

The simple answer I will give you is.

Referees administer the laws of the game, end of. There are no grey areas in the laws, var has just created a monster. This monster wasn’t needed, there was nothing wrong with our game, players and officials make mistakes, accept it, it’s a game of football which I for one,want to enjoy.

Tv companies started freeze framing offside decisions to try to prove linesman wrong, they very rarely did, but now every offside is scrutinised down to a toe nail.

We don’t need VAR, we need Football back.

Its that simple.

In  a recent match Jack Grealish can be heard loudly abusing a referee. It rhythms with bucking and shunt. Scrutiny? None. 

Scrutiny of refs? Endless.

The priorities here are wrong.

4 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Its that simple.

In  a recent match Jack Grealish can be heard loudly abusing a referee. It rhythms with bucking and shunt. Scrutiny? None. 

Scrutiny of refs? Endless.

The priorities here are wrong.

Surely verbal abuse aimed directly at the referee is up to the referee to show a yellow card for foul and abusive language. If the same player repeats it then a second yellow. Do that two or three times in high profile matches and the players would get the message.

Its down to the PGMOL to implement it.

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Surely verbal abuse aimed directly at the referee is up to the referee to show a yellow card for foul and abusive language. If the same player repeats it then a second yellow. Do that two or three times in high profile matches and the players would get the message.

Its down to the PGMOL to implement it.

Is not solely down to the PGMOL and somebody in Stockley Park to implement a response. 

Verbal abuse was heard on tv. Clearly. The referee may have not heard Jack Grealish. All EPL matches are high profile. The games response? Nada. Media response? Nil. Its tacit approval. Focus on refs? Infinite and frequently negative. Its an example of skewed priorities and focus. 

6 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Is not down to the PGMOL to implement a response. 

Verbal abuse was heard on tv. Clearly. The referee may have not heard Jack Grealish. All EPL matches are high profile. The games response? Nada. Media response? Nil. Its tacit approval. Focus on refs? Infinite and frequently negative. Its an example of skewed priorities and focus. 

Why not? 

They’ve implemented yellow cards for taking a shirt off in celebration after a goal.So say because it aggravates the crowd............:cool2:

The PGMOL could quite easily enforce foul and abusive language as a yellow card offence - ensuring that the referee reacts accordingly to such abuse.

That said I certainly agree with your skewed priorities comment.

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

They’ve implemented yellow cards for taking a shirt off in celebration after a goal.So say because it aggravates the crowd............:cool2:

The PGMOL could quite easily enforce foul and abusive language as a yellow card offence - ensuring that the referee reacts accordingly to such abuse.

That said I certainly agree with your skewed priorities comment.

Because the governing body is the FA amongst others. The FA can go further than the PGMOL. The FA and EPL- The FA X EPL X FL can go further again.

Very very recently the FA was threatening retrospective actions. It really is not occurring as Mr Grealish exemplifies.

Another Grealish - 2021-05-23-19-09-25 (streamable.com)

The red card gets over turned but again no action v Grealish for his theatrical response. 

Players are not under the same scrutiny as refs. Players cheating and being unsportsmanlike is tolerated and encouraged by the game. Referees are treated differently and unevenly.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

With offside VAR is too precise. The line should be from the players feet, not his arm, head or shoulder. A goal being disallowed because a player was leaning forward is simply ridiculous.

What if the player is leaning forward and then heads it in? You cant change the rules for each decision.

6 hours ago, sephjnr said:

I was actually 2 minutes away from finishing my works break, so didn’t have to time to read all your post.

Tbh I probably didn’t need to, it was very predictable.

You have a problem with football officials, it would be far easier if you just said that.

Like I’ve said previously, you have absolutely no idea how hard a job they do, and It seems sure that you have never even attempted to do it yourself.

When you have, I may bother to read what you say, and take it seriously!.

As for the tech side of var, I’m simply not interested, the only thing that interests me is getting rid of it, it’s farcical.

IYou have a problem with football officials, it would be far easier if you just said that.

Sorry I can't fit your very simple narrative no matter how hard you bark. I do not have a problem with officials in a broad sense. I believe that VAR is not being used consistently and the referees - and certainly PGMOL - don't want to bother improving it. Most of the conversation in this thread asserts that notion but nobody here has any better Idea than sacking it off and going back to partisan whining and "REFS ARE BOSS, UG". Thus many people here, including you, are part of that problem.

On 26/05/2021 at 19:11, Ostrich said:

You could say exactly the same regarding refereeing decisions prior to the introduction of VAR.

Players, managers and pundits only ever spoke about “bad” decisions, but never commented on the overwhelming number of occasions when officials got it right.

Ive commented before that Var has become a dogs breakfast, so that whereas in the past a man with a whistle had a split second, in real time, to see an incident and make an instantaneous wrong decision, now,  a panel , sitting miles away, with every bit of technology, every camera angle and slo motion replays and time to review still come to the wrong decision!

On 28/05/2021 at 08:07, Super said:

Crazy. In years to come we are going to have a serious problem getting match officials.

Why would a person spend 15-20 years running the line to ultimately get promoted to the Premier league, to then basically not be trusted to do his job.

Grassroots football already has a massive problem with officials quitting the game. These would have been your future top level officials.

I watch a massive amount of grassroots football, I can say that young officials are a dying breed, why put yourself through the real tough amateur leagues, when there is no prize at the end.

Archived