IGNORED

Premier League; is it what we want?

Hampshire Red

Listening to Radio 5 as i am painting walls with football at BS3 quite a long way off, i pose the following thoughts to those of us who think we want to go up in the next few years. 

We were close under GJ we were competitive for most of the time under LJ and we may/maynot be competive in the Championship in the next few seasons under NP

-It strikes me Man City are light years ahead of everyone else and will win the league next season

-It is prtetty obvious that Norwich, Watford and Brentfor/Swansea will be part of the bottom 6 next season

-Poor teams in the EPL (the 3 promoted, plus Burnley & Palace) only relly care about results against those other team sin the bottom 5 (like a mini 'Relegation league'

-Establised EPL teams like Spurs, Everton etc will never win anything in the next decade

-Many teams who cant win the league (and never will, Leicester, Spurs, Leeds, Arsenal, West Ham, Wolves etc) are more interested in Champions League, Europe League, Europa Failures league, etc etc as they all move towards even more exclusive global branding rather than English football

-How rubbish and uncompetitve is the top flight these days? For as long as i can recall 38 points was the target for the poorer teams to achieve to stnad a chance of staying up. You only now need 28 points to stay up- get a double against the worst 5 teams and then it doesnt matter how woeful you are for the rest of the games

If that and many more other stats dont question where we want City to be in the next few seasons what about how mundane the Championship will be next season; Fulham, WBA and Sheff U all to be favourites for promotion because they all get their mega £ millions rewards for failing this season and will take that dosh to ensure they return to their Premier league (which seems way out of reach for the other 21 teams in our Championship next season)

What do you want in the next 3-5 years ?

HR

Yes very much so. I want to see my team in the top flight - preferably for a good while but if it was only a year I’d be fine with that as well as long as it happen. Being greedy I’d also really like it to happen whilst I’m still young enough to properly enjoy the away days! 

Financially yes, it`s a no-brainer. Enjoyment? Possibly not. I remember talking to a Derby fan at AG a few years back (the time we beat them 4-1) and asking him about their one season up there and did he enjoy it. He said that the first couple of games were fun but it soon turned into `how many are we going to be stuffed by this week?`. The novelty soon wore off.

I’d love to see City competing in the top flight. Competing being the key word, also with a shot at a major cup competition (League Cup, the FA Cup is far less likely but Wigan did it!)

I see no point in being one/two season wonders, or ending up in a mess and back in the lower divisions (like Blackpool, Portsmouth, Swindle etc). And I’d hate to have a season like Derby did a few years back, or Sheff Utd this season, where they struggled to get points. And that could be likely if we get there.

But I understand the reservations. The Championship is a competitive, entertaining league, whereas the Premier League is dominated by those wealthy sides. Kick off times are messed about with for the sake of TV. And the diving, moaning at the ref etc might be worse.

I imagine the journey to get there is better than the actual experience of being there. 

Leicester have been an inspiration to us all. We have their ownership, their management team, before and after the title win ? I hasten to add, and of course the players to thank for that.

Without it more of us would be feeling like you Hampshire. 

While the financial gap is too large, way too large, between tier 1 and 2, the top flight in England remains the most competitive in the world. Look at West Ham, Villa, Leeds, for example, and teams before them... The prize money is very similar from top to bottom. Everyone can compete. Those that fail did it wrong. And will try again. 

Hampshire, wind back a year, you probably would have said the same thing except used Liverpool instead of Man City. Next season it could be half a dozen teams. You cannot say that about any other league that I can think of.

25 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Listening to Radio 5 as i am painting walls with football at BS3 quite a long way off, i pose the following thoughts to those of us who think we want to go up in the next few years. 

We were close under GJ we were competitive for most of the time under LJ and we may/maynot be competive in the Championship in the next few seasons under NP

-It strikes me Man City are light years ahead of everyone else and will win the league next season

-It is prtetty obvious that Norwich, Watford and Brentfor/Swansea will be part of the bottom 6 next season

-Poor teams in the EPL (the 3 promoted, plus Burnley & Palace) only relly care about results against those other team sin the bottom 5 (like a mini 'Relegation league'

-Establised EPL teams like Spurs, Everton etc will never win anything in the next decade

-Many teams who cant win the league (and never will, Leicester, Spurs, Leeds, Arsenal, West Ham, Wolves etc) are more interested in Champions League, Europe League, Europa Failures league, etc etc as they all move towards even more exclusive global branding rather than English football

-How rubbish and uncompetitve is the top flight these days? For as long as i can recall 38 points was the target for the poorer teams to achieve to stnad a chance of staying up. You only now need 28 points to stay up- get a double against the worst 5 teams and then it doesnt matter how woeful you are for the rest of the games

If that and many more other stats dont question where we want City to be in the next few seasons what about how mundane the Championship will be next season; Fulham, WBA and Sheff U all to be favourites for promotion because they all get their mega £ millions rewards for failing this season and will take that dosh to ensure they return to their Premier league (which seems way out of reach for the other 21 teams in our Championship next season)

HR

Yes but you lost me at the line in bold.

1 minute ago, Offside said:

I imagine the journey to get there is better than the actual experience of being there. 

This is it for me. I don`t want to go to AG knowing we were going to lose, probably heavily. Add in (as you said) ****** about kick off times and days and the curse that is VAR and I`m struggling TBH.

No more cheap season tickets

very few 3 pm Saturday kick offs

a ground full of people who have never stepped foot in Ashton gate until we play Liverpool,Manchester united 

a view shared by a couple o& Swansea fans I walked to the ground with a couple of years ago 

I'm not in love with the Premier League as I think it over-hyped and overrated and the matches are at the beck and call of the TV companies to the detriment of football fans who attend live sport. However, in England it's the top league for professional football and I want to see City at that level before I depart this physical realm. 

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Financially yes, it`s a no-brainer. Enjoyment? Possibly not. I remember talking to a Derby fan at AG a few years back (the time we beat them 4-1) and asking him about their one season up there and did he enjoy it. He said that the first couple of games were fun but it soon turned into `how many are we going to be stuffed by this week?`. The novelty soon wore off.

Financially a no brainer, depends on what you do with the money. Clubs like Burnley have used it well and built themselves up , others like Reading , Cardiff have overspent in trying to stay up and then get back. A number of ex premier league clubs have hit financial difficulties.

Don’t understand how you can watch the team and not want to see them in the very top league?

I imagine those that say “na don’t fancy it” could perhaps be those that no longer watch the team in the ground & pay for their tickets, maybe just go to the pub before the match for a few with mates but don’t actually end up in the ground? I know a few like that, nowt wrong with it either. But i mean i dont understand why you would pay £400 quid a year on tickets and not want to see your team in the very best league in world football? Indeed however stupidly unlikely it may be, any team can do what Leicester done once in that division!

I would like us to get there so teams like Barnsley and Swindon don't have that over us. 

I would like us to be a attractive club for players to want to join and having recent prem experience certainly seems to add to that. 

I would like the best players in the world to play at Ashton Gate, preferably for us but if not then for oppositions. 

I wouldn't like to get tanked every week (although not sure how it could be worse than the season we have just had to put up with).

I wouldn't like games on a Sunday - Sunday is the worst day for football for me.

I wouldn't like VAR. 

I wouldn't like the Liverpool or man U fans trying to take the piss when they don't have a clue why I support a team like Bristol City and different expectations that come with supporting a team like ours.

One of the main reasons for opposition to the proposed ESL was that any competition that allows participation by selection/entitlement rather than achievement, and that removes the jeopordy of relegation, is a competition in name only.

If so, then as fans surely we must want to attain premier league football, as it is the apex of footballing achievement through the English football pyramid. 

I’m of the generation lucky enough to have seen us get to and play in the top flight and would love younger fans to experience the same feeling of excitement and anticipation that I can still remember. The financial gulf between today’s big clubs and the rest is far greater than it was back then, and I am pretty certain that if we did secure promotion that being competitive and avoiding relegation would be a real challenge.

However, what is the point in entering a competition if your ambition is to aim to fall short of the highest level only because you are worried about how you would fare if you reach it?

2 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

HR

Lots of really good points. It has, though,  largely been a variation on this for quite a while. Remember, there was a time when it was just Arsenal v Manchester United. At least there’s a sort of top six/seven.

Those who say the PL has been a success need to define what success means. It some ways it has - eg quality of players - in other ways, it’s been awful: competitive but predictable. 

3 hours ago, Offside said:

I’d love to see City competing in the top flight. Competing being the key word, also with a shot at a major cup competition (League Cup, the FA Cup is far less likely but Wigan did it!)

I see no point in being one/two season wonders, or ending up in a mess and back in the lower divisions (like Blackpool, Portsmouth, Swindle etc). And I’d hate to have a season like Derby did a few years back, or Sheff Utd this season, where they struggled to get points. And that could be likely if we get there.

But I understand the reservations. The Championship is a competitive, entertaining league, whereas the Premier League is dominated by those wealthy sides. Kick off times are messed about with for the sake of TV. And the diving, moaning at the ref etc might be worse.

Pretty much the same opinion, the joy and the journey to get there is far better than the actual season where we would probably end up being relegated or maybe stretch to a second season if we were to do a Sheffield united 

we aren’t a Leeds or Wolves and our best hope is trying to match our last tenure at the top table by staving off relegation because 3 other teams are worse than us 

2 hours ago, Robin Goch said:

To be honest I’ve 0 interest in getting to the Prem really. Living in Cardiff and speaking to their fans it’s pretty clear that the idea of it and journey to it is much better than the actual experience. 

That’s the one big advantage of getting to the Premier League - at least one really amazing season that ends with promotion. The nerves and excitement leading to the “yes we’ve done it” moment. 

Archived