IGNORED

Premier League; is it what we want?

Hampshire Red

The whole reason in supporting or playing football is to see your team win. The obvious end result is that your team would then be in the highest division available. That means the Premier League. As a Villa fan I certainly didn't enjoy our last few seasons before relegation and watching us scrapping for points, trying to hang on to the coat-tails of the money, and going into games against some teams beaten before you start and hoping to limit your loss to no more than 3. That is the life of most lower mid table teams.

The Championship was a breath of fresh air in that respect as we didn't go into any games beaten before kick-off. We also were the billy big bollocks which allowed us to forget the realities of life in the top flight - we started to win and enjoy games too. Oh, and I loved Saturday games and midweek follow-ups. I'll be honest I'd miss VAR if it wasn't there because for all it's ills I think its gets more right than wrong which is a positive.

But, the reality is that we have two very wealthy owners without whom I probably wouldn't be so positive. It's getting harder and harder to progress and it does take a lot to not just stay still but to keep moving. But it's better than the alternative which would be to not have a chance of competing against the best, and accepting less. I guess each club and their fans will see things differently based on their shared historical experiences, and some clubs may go up but fear for the fall-out of relegation and the finances. We were within an ace of going pop because of it but we are where we are now.

You shouldn't (and no-one is saying that they are) fear promotion tot he top-flight, but cut your cloth accordingly in the first season, and try and survive the first two seasons. After that you can try and push on. For most clubs that is success as the chance of winning trophies is ever more remote.

15 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

I still don’t get why we’re in the #UEFA competitions?

Didn't we just leave #Europe?

and wouldn’t it be great to be in the top tier for a year or so? 

Not quite - we left the EU....but yes it would be great to try the top tier, having started supporting in '82 when I was 10, very much so

There’s so much I hate about the Premier League that I rarely watch any of the matches on TV.  The sight of all those cheating prima donnas diving and feigning injury at every opportunity, or constantly in the official’s faces makes me sick tbh and typifies all that’s wrong with football in my eyes.

Would I want City to get there?  Of course!  I want us to get that monkey off our backs and it would be sweet to just get one over the occasional Prem side, even if we ultimately come back down again.  

We desperately need to join that group of clubs who’ve had the benefit of the Premiership £millions and use the money wisely, as it feels like we’re at a massive financial disadvantage and fighting a losing battle without that cash boost.

15 hours ago, downendcity said:

One of the main reasons for opposition to the proposed ESL was that any competition that allows participation by selection/entitlement rather than achievement, and that removes the jeopordy of relegation, is a competition in name only.

If so, then as fans surely we must want to attain premier league football, as it is the apex of footballing achievement through the English football pyramid. 

I’m of the generation lucky enough to have seen us get to and play in the top flight and would love younger fans to experience the same feeling of excitement and anticipation that I can still remember. The financial gulf between today’s big clubs and the rest is far greater than it was back then, and I am pretty certain that if we did secure promotion that being competitive and avoiding relegation would be a real challenge.

However, what is the point in entering a competition if your ambition is to aim to fall short of the highest level only because you are worried about how you would fare if you reach it?

Exactly.

50 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

There’s so much I hate about the Premier League that I rarely watch any of the matches on TV.  The sight of all those cheating prima donnas diving and feigning injury at every opportunity, or constantly in the official’s faces makes me sick tbh and typifies all that’s wrong with football in my eyes.

Would I want City to get there?  Of course!  I want us to get that monkey off our backs and it would be sweet to just get one over the occasional Prem side, even if we ultimately come back down again.  

We desperately need to join that group of clubs who’ve had the benefit of the Premiership £millions and use the money wisely, as it feels like we’re at a massive financial disadvantage and fighting a losing battle without that cash boost.

Exactly.

100% agree.

1 minute ago, phantom said:

I often wonder how boring it must be to support a mid table side in the Prem

Never going to win anything, never going to be relegated

I wonder what those supporters actually look forward to each season?

They'll be going into each season looking over their shoulder thinking "will it be us going down this season".

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

I often wonder how boring it must be to support a mid table side in the Prem

Never going to win anything, never going to be relegated

I wonder what those supporters actually look forward to each season?

Somewhat similar to how I have felt the last 4 seasons or so in the Championship. Bar the fear of a relegation!

It's the hope that kills you. That you can be one of the squads to do a Leicester, or perhaps do what West Ham have achieved this year. I understand why people may not like to be in the PL. But if you're not looking to improve and climb, then we may as well pack up and go home. 

17 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

No more cheap season tickets

very few 3 pm Saturday kick offs

a ground full of people who have never stepped foot in Ashton gate until we play Liverpool,Manchester united 

a view shared by a couple o& Swansea fans I walked to the ground with a couple of years ago 

Our average gates over the last few attended seasons have been over 20k.  I've a feeling the fans already in place will outnumber the day-trippers quite considerably.  And the atmosphere at the two Manchester cup games, which was boosted by people who only ever stepped foot in Ashton Gate when we play Liverpool, Man United etc contributed to two absolutely electric atmospheres.

16 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

I still don’t get why we’re in the #UEFA competitions?

Didn't we just leave #Europe?

and wouldn’t it be great to be in the top tier for a year or so? 

It's really not easy sometime to tell if someone is joking or not.....but just in case, you do realise that Europe and the European Union are two very different entities, don't you?

18 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

This is it for me. I don`t want to go to AG knowing we were going to lose, probably heavily. Add in (as you said) ****** about kick off times and days and the curse that is VAR and I`m struggling TBH.

Probably best to avoid the gate then next season then if our home form continues as it has been ? 

58 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Our average gates over the last few attended seasons have been over 20k.  I've a feeling the fans already in place will outnumber the day-trippers quite considerably.  And the atmosphere at the two Manchester cup games, which was boosted by people who only ever stepped foot in Ashton Gate when we play Liverpool, Man United etc contributed to two absolutely electric atmospheres.

It's really not easy sometime to tell if someone is joking or not.....but just in case, you do realise that Europe and the European Union are two very different entities, don't you?

I was trying to bait the #gammons.

Like I do think it would be funny if UEFA put out a press release on April 1 saying that owing to Brexit, English clubs will not longer be able to participate in European football, but Welsh, Northern Irish and Scottish clubs would.

18 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think some will soon realise being in the prem is not as great as they imagined. I do want to get there though. It is of course possible to get there and stay there and even compete near the top. Very unlikely but who knows maybe one day.

This is where I sit I think and like someone else said, the journey there is probably more fun than the time in the actual league.

I want my team to win every game, so of course I want them to finish as high as possible in this league and strive for promotion. The alternative is kicking around this league every year and that wont be fun!

Winning promotion would be the highlight of my time supporting City, purely because I've never seen us that high.

If we got there we can all dare to dream. Survive one season and everything changes, the money, the player pull. We just need to hope to be more Leeds than Fulham and try and establish a place. It's doable with the right manager, team and decisions made once up.

I worry about us being the next Swindon / Derby / Sheff Utd with awful records but if you're scared to fail, you'll never achieve anything greater

39 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Like I do think it would be funny if UEFA put out a press release on April 1 saying that owing to Brexit, English clubs will not longer be able to participate in European football, but Welsh, Northern Irish and Scottish clubs would.

That's fair enough....Like I said it's difficult to tell sometimes....and there are plenty of idiots out there who genuinely do struggle with making the distinction between the two!

Having not played in the top flight in over 30 years I don’t think we are in a position to question if we ‘’want’’ to get their or not to be honest..
If we had yo-yoed up and down and got to a stage where we were simply tired of the Premier League experience then yeah i could understand it but we haven’t ever got there (not to the current Premier League format) relegated in 1980 from the old top flight to never return its embarrassing to be honest. It’s imperative we get back just to say we have - then we can maybe have this discussion again.

Kick off 3pm Saturday and home in time for tea. Kick off 7.30 on Tuesday nights and get to skittles after in time to go on anchor. Never to be seen again if we get to the Prem. I hate the Premier League but that must be our aim, or what's the point. ( and yes I would still get a s/t if I could afford it). If we are successful in the Championship it will come automatically anyway.

21 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

Although English clubs were banned after Heysel so would be considered tactless to do that as a April fools 

Archived