IGNORED

The Pinter. As advertised on telly

Norn Iron

I've been the proud owner of the diy beer since February. I am slowly but surely working through all their offerings.

If anyone else is thinking about buying, you won't be disappointed especially if you watch and read the instructions.If you don't take short cuts, you'll be rewarded with excellent beverages.

Anyway, I have finally made their Herefordshire based Cider. I used the maximum brewing  plus conditioning times including a cold-crash. My son and I did a taste test an hour ago to see which was better: The Greater Good Pinter, Strongbow or Thatcher's Gold.

Strongbow came 3rd. 2nd easily beat Strongbow and First trumped 2nd without even trying! 

3rd Strongbow

2nd Pinter

1st The otib favourite!

The Pinter is a great investment. The bottling to condition longer has yielded clearer beers and a more rounded flavour.

Who else has tried? 

• Like 1

I caught the add on TV for it the other day and it caught my eye.

Have traditional homebrewed a few times during lockdown. Spent about the same on the whole starter kit as it does for one of these. That acutally surprised me, i thought it was going to be £150-200 sort of range.

Only concern is it appears to only hold 10 pints? They suggest another one alongside it at a reduced price so you always have one one on the go, i guess that's one solution!

5 minutes ago, Gazred said:

I caught the add on TV for it the other day and it caught my eye.

Have traditional homebrewed a few times during lockdown. Spent about the same on the whole starter kit as it does for one of these. That acutally surprised me, i thought it was going to be £150-200 sort of range.

Only concern is it appears to only hold 10 pints? They suggest another one alongside it at a reduced price so you always have one one on the go, i guess that's one solution!

Yep. I had just one initially (in red obvs) but the co-pinter is in white! I'd have chosen Purple if it was available. 

The idea is that when you move from brewing to conditioning, you don't need the brewdock. This can be washed and then used with the co-pinter.

The longer you leave it to condition the better your beer. It becomes more rounded in flavour.

Let me know when you get one. I've tried a couple of tricks as mentioned on the Owners Facebook Page. Cold-Crashing is when you put the punter plus dock in the fridge but keep it vertical for at least a day. The coldness makes the yeast fall quicker into the brew dock. Once the brew-dock has been detached, put the pinter into the horizontal position. Most owners haven't the luxury of space in their fridge and it's not a necessity. 

I do like bottling any left over beer from the first night of drinking. The beer can continue to condition in the sanitised Flip-top bottle and tge result after 5 days is amazing. All that's needed is brewers sugar or caster...say half a teaspoon. Then place bottles in fridge for a few hours to kill off the yeast.

Top tip....Read and watch all the instructions and follow them to the letter. You won't go wrong!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Yep. I had just one initially (in red obvs) but the co-pinter is in white! I'd have chosen Purple if it was available. 

The idea is that when you move from brewing to conditioning, you don't need the brewdock. This can be washed and then used with the co-pinter.

The longer you leave it to condition the better your beer. It becomes more rounded in flavour.

Let me know when you get one. I've tried a couple of tricks as mentioned on the Owners Facebook Page. Cold-Crashing is when you put the punter plus dock in the fridge but keep it vertical for at least a day. The coldness makes the yeast fall quicker into the brew dock. Once the brew-dock has been detached, put the pinter into the horizontal position. Most owners haven't the luxury of space in their fridge and it's not a necessity. 

I do like bottling any left over beer from the first night of drinking. The beer can continue to condition in the sanitised Flip-top bottle and tge result after 5 days is amazing. All that's needed is brewers sugar or caster...say half a teaspoon. Then place bottles in fridge for a few hours to kill off the yeast.

Top tip....Read and watch all the instructions and follow them to the letter. You won't go wrong!

Cheers NI.

Birthday coming up in July, I'm certainly tempted. Might start dropping a few hints to the Mrs!

7 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Cheers NI.

Birthday coming up in July, I'm certainly tempted. Might start dropping a few hints to the Mrs!

I'll pay my fiver to otib later so that I can upload my photos.

The cider, on our blind test, trumped Strongbow easily but it isn't Thatcher's Gold which easily trumped the pinter cider.

I'm really pleased with all my brews so far and so is my Stoke City son who wants to try all the others.....but not paying for it! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

I'll pay my fiver to otib later so that I can upload my photos.

The cider, on our blind test, trumped Strongbow easily but it isn't Thatcher's Gold which easily trumped the pinter cider.

I'm really pleased with all my brews so far and so is my Stoke City son who wants to try all the others.....but not paying for it! 

Good stuff.

I'm more of a seasonal cider drinker. Summertime only, ales the rest of the time.

I would prefer to own a larger fridge for the cold conditioning.  Just don't have the space at the mo.

Really like the sound of it though.

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I’ve bought one thanks to your suggestion - looks good. Not gone for the Cider but instead the lager and Pilsner. 

Excellent Tony. I'm a real ale guy but have tried both Pilsner and Czech and they're really good. Last weekend we tried the Californian lager. Wow! Almost like a mild IPA.

I've tried the Czech having used the minimum timings. There was a better difference when I increased the brew time by a day and the conditioning time was a full 4 days. I've ordered it for June only this time I'll condition for the max recommended.

I'll post pictures later!

3 hours ago, Gazred said:

Good stuff.

I'm more of a seasonal cider drinker. Summertime only, ales the rest of the time.

I would prefer to own a larger fridge for the cold conditioning.  Just don't have the space at the mo.

Really like the sound of it though.

Gaz,

Don't worry about the cold crash. Majority don't and it isn't essential. As long as you can get the pinter into your fridge on the horizontal, that's what counts.

• Thanks 1

Nice one!

They all look lovely. Would happily drink any of those. Looks like Czech goes well with a curry, another thing i enjoy.

Cheers for the advice on the cold crash. Have read various bits of info both ways on it.

One thing i have found with the home brew is that there are many things you can do but mostly optional, just important to get the basics right and go from there.

This looks like a very simple and rewarding system with a decent capacity. When you brew 40 pints of something, wait a month, try it and go nah, not that keen, it's slightly annoying to say the least.

You're quite the home brewer NI. Gin looks tidy as well.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I’ve bought one thanks to your suggestion - looks good. Not gone for the Cider but instead the lager and Pilsner. 

Let me know via this thread Tonyx3, if you want advice etc..

Some people take it to the enth degree. Just fo what it says on the video! 

Looking forward to hearing about your first brews.

Cider Update.

The photo was taken a few minutes ago. The cider was conditioned for a further 5 days in Flip-top bottles (a brewers sugar drop was added).

There is a difference and for the better. It has mellowed and there is a better, more apple aftertaste. It doesn't come close to T Gold but shows up Strongbow even more. Why do people drink Strongbow?

My fully conditioned Stout will be fully conditioned on Tuesday. 

If the sample I tried from the brewdock, after the max brew time and 2 days cold crash, is anything to go by then it will be amazing. The minimum brew time and conditioning i did for the previous stout will confirm that whilst it was perfectly drinkable, giving it more time is the key.

20210529_151758.jpg

• Like 1

Here's the Dark Matter Stout I made but using the maximum brewing and conditioning times. It was opened last night. 

It is better than the previous version which was made using the minimum timings! The difference is that every single flavour has mellowed resulting in a more balanced taste. It really has a coffee taste. Whilst others enjoyed the previous version, this one has improved no end. I am not a fan of Stout generally and whilst I found Mk1 acceptable, Mk2 is more than drinkable! I really enjoyed this Mk2 stout.

20210531_172031.jpg

• Like 2