IGNORED

The Pinter. As advertised on telly

Norn Iron

34 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Am I the only one who read the thread title and assumed it was a device to enable you to write earnest and po-faced critically acclaimed theatre?

Wait till you start ebaying for said device accessories and you Harold's books!

I thought you might like to see what arrived in the post this morning! I placed the TV mag on the top so that you can gauge the size of the packages. Please also note the deliberate choice of colours for our slip mats!

The second photo shows what is inside a package. I have everything needed for the cleaning and brewing process apart from the water. Our water here in Norn Iron is so soft,20210605_145317.thumb.jpg.490df0c5cc001c7adefc02eddb20804b.jpg I use tap water to make all beers.  

20210605_145435.jpg

Edited by Norn Iron
More info

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Well mine bolloxed right up whn trying to get the brew dock on. Worked fine when sterilising it, but it wouldnt go on for the actual brew.

I have emailed them for replacement parts.

They are excellent for customer service. I have found that the handle must be at 12 o'clock. If you under or over-tighten the brew dock won't properly attach.

I've just started my latest brew. Here are some photos....

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Looks good, thanks for sharing

Thanks Mozo, Peter Gabriel fan per chance?

My Republic Lager is now conditioning in the fridge having brewed for the maximum days. Thursday 24th will be the maximum number of recommended days in the fridge prior to drinking.

I have dabbled with bottling the beer into flip-tops. I have learned that my brews seem to lose a little bit of the carbonation after 24 hours in the pinter hence bottling. However, to restore the fizz I place a carbonated drop (a small brewer's sugar lump really) into each bottle. It really does work and 5 days later I have a great bottled beer.

However, my last bottling attempt wasn't perfect as I immediately placed the bottles back into the fridge once the drop was added. Previously, I followed the recommended guidelines to leave the bottles in a warmish place for 5 days before the fridge. I can only assume this is because the sugar needs to react to any active yeast to make the CO2. The coldness of the fridge stops this process from happening.

I have kept one bottle of the Californian Nuevo brew (lager meets pale ale=wonderful) to compare with the Czech version. I'll then compare the Republic with Budvar to see how Czech the brew is!

I am expecting great things having made the Republic twice but not to the maximum. The extra days should give a more balanced and flavoursome beer. It was good on the minimum so it should be even better!

On 25/05/2021 at 17:03, Masala said:

I'd not seen anything about it until I saw your post. Just spent 10 minutes on their website, looks very interesting. It's my birthday in September, I may ask the family for this! I'm really tempted...

We're having a new kitchen in a few weeks so nothing until then.

What does your flag say  on your avatar mate?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

Thanks Mozo, Peter Gabriel fan per chance?

My Republic Lager is now conditioning in the fridge having brewed for the maximum days. Thursday 24th will be the maximum number of recommended days in the fridge prior to drinking.

I have dabbled with bottling the beer into flip-tops. I have learned that my brews seem to lose a little bit of the carbonation after 24 hours in the pinter hence bottling. However, to restore the fizz I place a carbonated drop (a small brewer's sugar lump really) into each bottle. It really does work and 5 days later I have a great bottled beer.

However, my last bottling attempt wasn't perfect as I immediately placed the bottles back into the fridge once the drop was added. Previously, I followed the recommended guidelines to leave the bottles in a warmish place for 5 days before the fridge. I can only assume this is because the sugar needs to react to any active yeast to make the CO2. The coldness of the fridge stops this process from happening.

I have kept one bottle of the Californian Nuevo brew (lager meets pale ale=wonderful) to compare with the Czech version. I'll then compare the Republic with Budvar to see how Czech the brew is!

I am expecting great things having made the Republic twice but not to the maximum. The extra days should give a more balanced and flavoursome beer. It was good on the minimum so it should be even better!

Have you tried all the IPA/APA etc? 

My concern with this extraction brewing was that you lose the hoppy flavour in the process. Do their beers still pack a punch (subject to following the process)?

Edited by mozo

14 minutes ago, mozo said:

Have you tried all the IPA/APA etc? 

My concern with this extraction brewing was that you lose the hoppy flavour in the process. Do their beers still pack a punch (subject to following the process)?

I have brewed the IPA and both my son and I loved it. It is what I wanted from a beer ie to taste the hops and malt not an abundance of fruit.

I haven't noticed any loss in flavour. It was their stout that confirms what extra days do in the conditioning. Just like comparing a 10yr old Bushmills to a 12,16 or 25 Yr old version, all the flavours become more balanced and deliver a more rounded taste the longer you leave it. The Dark Matter Stout was blind tasted by our next door neighbour. He absolutely loved it as he was a Guinness fan. The Mk 1 version (minimum brew and conditioning) to him was slightly licorice heavy whilst my mk2 version (maximum 5 and 7 days for both) wasn't. I agreed. The hops, roasted barley and the taste of coffee were all there but had mellowed to create that fuller flavour.

I am currently working through all their fresh presses but will return to the IPA soon as it really was fantastic. My notes (see pic) suggests I should condition a bit longer next time....just to see what difference an extra day or two would make.

I am brewing their Four Saisons next weekend as I haven't tried it before.

I'm not much of a lager man but am determined to crack the Czech lager. It has been more than good on both previous occasions but I'm hoping the max conditioning time will help rival my favourite lager namely Budvar!

My personal preferences so far are Nuevo and IPA. 

Lockwood, Dark Matter and Republic are also recommended.

Waltham Forest Fruits Cider to be avoided as IT ISN'T CIDER! Cider has apples. End of. Grrrr. Mind you I haven't tried it but that's besides the point!

Cloudy Nine Cider was ok. It beats Rockshore Cider and Strongbow easily BUT once you've tried Thatcher's Gold you won't want anything else apart from Haze and Katy and others in their range.

What have you tried?

16239301302526926239217367943723.jpg

16239301760603238332975464650094.jpg

• Thanks 1

My Czech Lager started life on 5th June. I brewed for maximum days recommended, 8, followed by maximum conditioning which terminated at 5pm ie just now!

The anticipation today was almost like waiting for the start of the new football season with City obviously going to get promoted!

The difference in taste was vastly different to the look. It looks more Aden Flint than David Beckham. However, Aden wins big time! Even my son on the non-blind taste (one is cloudy the other is clear) with a Budvar Czech Lager agreed that the flavour was won easily by the Greater Good! 

I concur. My version is better. It is so much more fresh in taste. The notes said there will be subtle fruit and will produce a drier taste if left to maximum. Totally agree. I can taste both hops and the subtle fruit reminds me of peach. The dryness is remarkable.

This is my third brew of Republic. Previous versions have been on the minimum plus an extra day or two. Both were really good but leaving it to the maximum, as in today's, creates a better, more rounded lager. They were correct! Well, almost.

The Brewer said you'd get clarity if left. As you can see from the photos, that isn't true. This could be due to the fact I only left it an hour to settle out of the fridge. I'll know more when I bottle the rest tomorrow and then leave for 5 days. Talking of which....

20210625_170653.jpg

20210625_171540.jpg

20210625_171651.jpg

• Like 1

Talking of which....

I brewed and then bottled the Californian Nuevo. I had added a brewer's sugar drop into the bottle and left it for 5 days in the kitchen so that the Carbon Dioxide could do its thing in a warm temperature. The beer was then rested in the same fridge as the Czech lager. This should kill off the remaining fermentation and produce clarity. It will be opened later tonight but the signs are looking fantastic. 

20210625_174432.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Norn - honest question (and one i have at the back of my mind while considering buying a Pinter) do you reckon you are drinking more because of it?

When i make Cider, i notice my consumption does increase :)

But reading this thread i really fancy giving the Pinter a go.

3 hours ago, Antman said:

Hey Norn - honest question (and one i have at the back of my mind while considering buying a Pinter) do you reckon you are drinking more because of it?

When i make Cider, i notice my consumption does increase :)

But reading this thread i really fancy giving the Pinter a go.

Great question Antman.

I have a student son who helps me out with the consumption!

However, I have always loved my beer but have never been a big drinker. For me, 4 pints in an evening (3 hours) is perfect. I suppose the answer to your question is No!

The Pinter makes 10 pints. In the other new thread about how to make Cider, the poster talks about bottling in his IKEA Flip-top bottles. I have a different make and they're 500ml flip-tops.

The next bit is based on what I've read on the Pinter Forum and my own experience. The Greater Good claims that the beer will stay fizzy for up to 3 days. I've noticed that my remaining beer the following day has lost a bit of fizz. This is where the flip-tops plus brewer's carbonation drops come in handy. Others just add sugar btw. Having sterilised each bottle (I use Milton Baby Sterilising Fluid but a dishwasher on the hottest setting works really well apparently). I have worked out that each 500ml bottle needs 3ml of Milton. Digital Kitchen scales are fantastic! Add water to the solution, put the tops on, give it a shake and leave 15 minutes. Then simply pour away. Job done. 

I then get a measuring jug and pour the pinter beer into it to transfer into the bottles. Others have used a syphon or tool bought from eBay. 

Then leave the beer with carbonation drop in the same warm place you left the Pinter when brewing. I use the kitchen worktop above the Dishwasher.  Leave your bottles for 5 days ie a second fermentation and then fridge for 1 day to stop the process. Basically, a week later you'll have another fresh beer supply and it will be clearer too!

I have a pass code so if you want to order please see the attached screenshot. We both win! Anyone can PM me and I'll gladly supply the code.

Screenshot_20210629-011149_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Admin

Interesting thread, what do you reckon it costs a pint?  It’s not something that I would have the time or desire to do (for me, drinking beer takes place in pubs) but I can see the attraction, I used to make wine (my tipple of choice at home) but just don’t have time for it now and use a wine club to get my variety and recommendations.

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Interesting thread, what do you reckon it costs a pint?  It’s not something that I would have the time or desire to do (for me, drinking beer takes place in pubs) but I can see the attraction, I used to make wine (my tipple of choice at home) but just don’t have time for it now and use a wine club to get my variety and recommendations.

The beer works out at around £1.50 per pint but if you subscribe on a monthly basis, then it is £1.20 a pint.

Over here in Norn Iron, the water is free....no water rates! 

When you consider that the beer is really fresh to drink/taste and is more than a match when compared with well known bottled brands in Supermarkets, it is well worth the investment.

There has been an argument flying around that it is still more expensive than shop bought beers. I think the people peddling this line of thought would rather stay in a 1* hotel rather than a 3* in the same area, based on cost only. They would miss out on what a 3* hotel would offer that the 1* wouldn't have.

It is actually fun making it as well. I haven't had one single problem with any of the beers. Today I will be conditioning my Four Saisons Pale Ale. That will be ready next weekend.

• Like 1

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

The beer works out at around £1.50 per pint but if you subscribe on a monthly basis, then it is £1.20 a pint.

Over here in Norn Iron, the water is free....no water rates! 

When you consider that the beer is really fresh to drink/taste and is more than a match when compared with well known bottled brands in Supermarkets, it is well worth the investment.

There has been an argument flying around that it is still more expensive than shop bought beers. I think the people peddling this line of thought would rather stay in a 1* hotel rather than a 3* in the same area, based on cost only. They would miss out on what a 3* hotel would offer that the 1* wouldn't have.

It is actually fun making it as well. I haven't had one single problem with any of the beers. Today I will be conditioning my Four Saisons Pale Ale. That will be ready next weekend.

Thanks, I’m sure if I drank beer at home ( I don’t totally abstain from it, but 10 pints would last me a couple of months) it would be worth a go, I do tend to buy decent real ale or craft beers and like to find decent stouts and dark beers in the winter.  Just hoping that beer festivals come back soon…….

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Thanks, I’m sure if I drank beer at home ( I don’t totally abstain from it, but 10 pints would last me a couple of months) it would be worth a go, I do tend to buy decent real ale or craft beers and like to find decent stouts and dark beers in the winter.  Just hoping that beer festivals come back soon…….

Their Dark Matter Stout is excellent. I'm not really a Guinness fan either. 

To make the beer and then properly bottle it for a Winter's evening, having listened to a stunning one goal City victory away to Hartlepool in round 3 of the Caribou Cup, sounds perfect!

Edited by Norn Iron
Spelling

Wow! The 4 Saisons is really lively. Foam was coming out of the release valve. I had been resting it out of the fridge 8 hours ago as well. What's more I took about 10 mins to slowly release the valve.

Anyway, the taste is fantastic. When I bottle it, the ale will become clearer. I am currently comparing it with St Austell Tribute Pale Ale. Colour is similar but the smell gives it away immediately. One is fresh the other is non-existent.

20210707_175050.jpg

• Like 1

Here is the latest brew. It was 'born' at 2pm today. A limited edition ale Alexa Play 3 Lions Pale Ale.

I wish I had ordered their Gareth Red Bale edition as I love Red Ale but for some reason chose a Scottish limited one instead.

Greater Good had just launched a new phone app. Well worth trying. Instructions have been enhanced. There is also a diary section that will be specific to the beer you're brewing. A great idea as you can choose standard or enhanced brew times.

I'm going for the maximum on this ale.

20210709_141106.jpg

• Like 1