IGNORED

The Pinter. As advertised on telly

Norn Iron

When you have purified the Pinter, what can you do with the discarded liquid?

How about this!

Put the plug into your sink or in our case the little one that has been discoloured by tea etc..

Leave it for 4 hours and it's in pristine condition.

Should you need to convince your loved one the Pinter is what you need, just say it's a British invention that cleans kitchens. It also makes beer!  

20210709_182414.jpg

20210709_182442.jpg

20210709_182631.jpg

Finally, I have been able to buy locally 2 x1l fliptop bottles. 

It seems a second fermentation works wonders for clarity and taste. My latest beer (Alexa Play 3 Lions Pale Ale) was brewed and conditioned using the maximum days recommended. It certainly was a smooth, easy drinking and refreshing pale ale. Craft Ales are supposed to be cloudy but when you're not used to it, it's worth dabbling!

We'll see in five days time how much clearer it will be just by looking at the bottle.

20210724_110210.jpg

• Like 1

TOP TIPS WHEN PURIFYING AND BREWING

Just finished the above for my next brew, the West Nuevo.

I have brewed it once before but this time I want to try it on the maximum timeline. We were really impressed with the minimum version. It was like lager meets IPA.

Here are 2 tips to use in all future beer making especially as rule no 1 is.... purification is king.

TIP 1

When using the purification granules, pour them into a jug and then add warm water. By stirring with a fork, the granules will dissolve far quicker. It will also sterilise the jug which can be used for my second tip.

Add the dissolved liquid into your pinter and follow as shown on the instructions. You'll notice when it comes to dispose of the liquid, just how few granules are left.

TIP 2

With the purified Jug, add your yeast into it and add enough warm water to stir it into a liquid (thumb's width). Keep stirring with the purified fork from tip 1 so that the yeast doesn't form bits which is often the case in the normal brewing process. Warm water gives the yeast the best chance to activate and do its thing.

The instructions say to use cold water up to the measuring line in the pinter. There are others who say room temperature water is better. I went for something in-between ie mostly cold water straight out of the tap plus half a pint of boiled kettle water. 

Let me know if these tips work plus how your brews are going.

• Like 1

What a difference a few bottled days make! Scroll back to see what the bottled 3 Lions Pale Ale looked like at the weekend. You couldn't see through it but now you can.

Yet again, our next door neighbours were the blind taste test judges. This time, they had an additional beer courtesy of Smithwick's (Guinness) Pale Ale. 

Ignore the fact that one beer had more head than others. That was due to my pouring technique and which beer was poured first!

All 3 looked similar. The winner from the head judge was my Pinter!

My next brew, which will be tapped on Sunday, is the Scottish Amber Ale. 

Still brewing is my West Nuevo Californian lager (an IPA in disguise methinks).

In the post are the Lockwood Pilsner and the Stars and Stripes APA.

20210730_191200.jpg

20210730_193355.jpg

Edited by Norn Iron
Presentation

A heads up for their customer service.

Yesterday, I noticed that my brewing dock was becoming more difficult to attach/detach. There seemed to be a hairline fracture on the joint mechanism. See photos. 

I phoned for advice and was immediately told that if they could have photos, I could then get a response as to what can be done.

Within 2 hours they replied that a new brew dock had been ordered and will be posted ASAP.

What superb service. 

I know that as I have the mk1 version, like any new invention there will be issues. Mk2 apparently is in development as a response to pinter owners' feedback.

Can't fault The Greater Good.

20210805_181438.jpg

20210805_180837.jpg

• Like 1

I thought I'd try the Stars And Stripes.

It is an American Pale Ale. See the photos for more details. I agree totally with the description.

I brewed and conditioned to the maximum days recommended. 
However, whilst I was impressed with the flavour it cannot compare to what I have now! 
24 hours after drinking/sharing a few pints, I bottled the rest (having added a carb drop). I left the bottles covered with a tea towel for 5 days and then placed in the fridge for a couple of hours to stop any extra fermentation etc..
Wow! Talk about clarity. It looked so clear it was if it had been poured in a pint. The taste? Exceptional. Smooth and a well balanced pale ale with just a subtle hint of fruitiness. Loved it.

I still have a 1 litre fliptop bottle left untouched. The photo shows the clarity but look at all the sediment at the bottom. Now that's what I call a real ale!

16308311947191561159929426815226.jpg

1630831268607881578510063091607.jpg

16308315664031946050426695216439.jpg

29 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

I thought I'd try the Stars And Stripes.

It is an American Pale Ale. See the photos for more details. I agree totally with the description.

I brewed and conditioned to the maximum days recommended. 
However, whilst I was impressed with the flavour it cannot compare to what I have now! 
24 hours after drinking/sharing a few pints, I bottled the rest (having added a carb drop). I left the bottles covered with a tea towel for 5 days and then placed in the fridge for a couple of hours to stop any extra fermentation etc..
Wow! Talk about clarity. It looked so clear it was if it had been poured in a pint. The taste? Exceptional. Smooth and a well balanced pale ale with just a subtle hint of fruitiness. Loved it.

I still have a 1 litre fliptop bottle left untouched. The photo shows the clarity but look at all the sediment at the bottom. Now that's what I call a real ale!

16308311947191561159929426815226.jpg

1630831268607881578510063091607.jpg

16308315664031946050426695216439.jpg

That looks good. I'm not far away from opening my boxes up and starting! Kitchen should be finished in about three weeks

21 minutes ago, Masala said:

That looks good. I'm not far away from opening my boxes up and starting! Kitchen should be finished in about three weeks

I was wondering when you were going to start brewing!

If you have somewhere else to brew, your beer will be ready in time to celebrate a new kitchen!

On 21/09/2021 at 16:23, CyderInACan said:

Serious question. Will the current CO2 problems increase the prices of these gizmos?

There are 2 answers to your question!

Answer 1

No.

CO2 is made naturally from the ingredients and not by using a Sodastream! The brewing yeast is added separately to the Fresh Press concentrate/water. The yeast reacts with the liquid to create CO2. Because we do not buy alcohol from The Greater Good, we will not be taxed for any duty that politicians are threatening us with.

Answer 2

Yes to price increase but not re CO2

Pinter Mk2 is due for release in October! It has been completely rebuilt after 1000s of Pinterers' feedback. Consequently the price will go up as the mk2 will have apparently more functions. The Greater Good is being tight lipped over this but a major announcement is due on the 29th of this month. Pinter mk1 will still be able to make all beers from future Fresh Presses.

• Like 1

My next batch of Public House IPA, brewed and conditioned to the max, will be ready tomorrow. 

I made a similar batch 2 weeks ago. Wow! It was fantastic. However, I kept 2 litres and then bottled into 2 x 2 litres fliptops. They were conditioned but last night put into the fridge. This should kill off any secondary fermentation.

We will be able to compare tomorrow night if further bottling improves the flavour etc compared to a pint straight out of the Pinter.

I have 3 human guinea pigs lined up for this important taste test done 'blind'. The clarity might give it away as that has improved just by being bottled!

Results to follow...

PINTER 2. 

It has arrived. The CEO explains the improvements on YouTube.

As the owner of 2 Pinters mk1, it makes complete sense what they have done.

If you subscribe to the Fresh Beer Club ie buy Pinter Packs monthly, you will get the first beer free. Your order per month can be for 1,2 or 3 packs. The Pinter 2 will cost new subscribers £149 which includes your monthly subscription.

If you're already a subscriber, you should receive a £50 voucher towards the Pinter 2 via email. Mine came today.

I'm very tempted!

On 06/08/2021 at 15:12, Norn Iron said:

A heads up for their customer service.

Yesterday, I noticed that my brewing dock was becoming more difficult to attach/detach. There seemed to be a hairline fracture on the joint mechanism. See photos. 

I phoned for advice and was immediately told that if they could have photos, I could then get a response as to what can be done.

Within 2 hours they replied that a new brew dock had been ordered and will be posted ASAP.

What superb service. 

I know that as I have the mk1 version, like any new invention there will be issues. Mk2 apparently is in development as a response to pinter owners' feedback.

Can't fault The Greater Good.

Really great service. It's rare to find a vendor who can resolve issues so quickly, and even in the customer's favor. I think the vendor himself didn't mind that there was a defect there. But if you have to choose, it's that kind of vendor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pokitren said:

Really great service. It's rare to find a vendor who can resolve issues so quickly, and even in the customer's favor. I think the vendor himself didn't mind that there was a defect there. But if you have to choose, it's that kind of vendor.

And the feedback has resulted in a new brewing dock as a result of others making similar comments.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I've got one of these in the garage that I got as a present back in May. Hopefully it's still OK to use. 

Looks like I'm gonna have to print this thread out and take notes!!

Looks like, Kid? Understatement of the year! 

Top Tip. Download the app. Follow all the Brewing Instructions and don't think you know better. You'll have the best beer you've brewed at home. 

If I can help at any time...just post!

What beers have you got?

PS your Pinter will be fine to use. I haven't bought a Mk2. 

11 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Looks like, Kid? Understatement of the year! 

Top Tip. Download the app. Follow all the Brewing Instructions and don't think you know better. You'll have the best beer you've brewed at home. 

If I can help at any time...just post!

What beers have you got?

PS your Pinter will be fine to use. I haven't bought a Mk2. 

Thanks mate, what's the app called? Part of the reason I've left it as I can't fit the thing in my fridge so waiting for cooler temps to chill in garage/outside. 

I've no idea what beers. Are they in the box? I like pils or some mosaic hops so hopefully some of that

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Thanks mate, what's the app called? Part of the reason I've left it as I can't fit the thing in my fridge so waiting for cooler temps to chill in garage/outside. 

I've no idea what beers. Are they in the box? I like pils or some mosaic hops so hopefully some of that

Lie it flat in the fridge. You don't have to stand it upright.

The app is here...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thepinterapp

I'm not a great fan of lager. Budvar is great, however.

This is Lockwood which is meant16344790989187438922661693093863.thumb.jpg.0dc9eb0c6c480a7a8cc79fea0e3342cc.jpg to be slightly fruity.

Their Czech Republic was ok but the one we enjoyed the most was the West Nuevo Californian style lager. Will order that one again.

I have brewed for maximum (8 days) and conditioned for 14 days. 

As you can see it is a craft style lager! Bottling it with brewer's carbonated drops should increase the clarity by the weekend. 

I will be leaving these bottles covered but in a warm place in the kitchen. It's the same place as to where the pinter brews. To kill any extra fermentation, I will place the bottles in the fridge on Thursday night. Friday should be just fine for drinking!

We'll find out.

20211017_145209.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Masala said:

I know this seems to be something I've been saying forever, buuuuuut I'm getting close to starting. Kitchen should be finished in two weeks then it's go go go!

Masala,

Assuming nothing goes wrong in the above plan, what will be your first brew? I'm asking for a friend!

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

Masala,

Assuming nothing goes wrong in the above plan, what will be your first brew? I'm asking for a friend!

Resting peach face - I'm brewing them in chronological order by best before date. I've got until 6th November to kick that one off! Then Uplands, Space Hopper and then 4 Saisons!

1 hour ago, Masala said:

Resting peach face - I'm brewing them in chronological order by best before date. I've got until 6th November to kick that one off! Then Uplands, Space Hopper and then 4 Saisons!

Really looking forward to your reviews.  I have Uplands conditioning right now. I won't do Peach Face as fruit shouldn't be in beer! Space Hopper has rave reviews but too strong for me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Really looking forward to your reviews.  I have Uplands conditioning right now. I won't do Peach Face as fruit shouldn't be in beer! Space Hopper has rave reviews but too strong for me.

I do like some of the Belgian fruit beers, some of the sour cherry ones have been stunning. I'm intrigued by the peach one, I felt like I need to try it

I really like the sound of the Dark Matters as well, that will be on my list soon

Edited by Masala

To celebrate today's victory, I have opened the Lockwood that has been bottled for a further 2 weeks. Ok, I'd have opened the bottle had we lost or Barnsley had equalised in the 90th minute!

The official description is spot on. The bottling has resulted in more depth and the fruit (apples) has mellowed. The carbonisation is superb courtesy of the carb drop. The Grolsch bottle has done its job brilliantly as well. Is it my kind of lager? Not really. Give me an ale any day. However my non-beer drinker has had a swig and declared it a winner!

Pic1 is the beer fully brewed and conditioned 2 weeks ago.

Pic2 is the beer straight out of the fridge having been chilled for last 48 hours.

Pic3 just poured. The clarity is great as well. Was cloudy a fortnight ago.

20211017_145209.jpg

20211030_160721.jpg

20211030_171636.jpg

• Like 1