IGNORED

The Pinter. As advertised on telly

Norn Iron

Dunkel means dark. It is! The beer is exactly how the notes above describe. We're really knocked out about how good it is. A lager? Really? Yes, really!

I will bottling any left from tonight. However, last week I brewed another Dunkel but with this brew, I will be conditioning it in flip top bottles to see if there is a difference in taste and appearance. I'll know more next weekend!

BTW go to your local independent office. You should be able to get currently for £2 a flip top bottle. The Grolsch inside is free! They're needed for the Pinter....

20211120_184244.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Masala said:

Guess what!! Kitchen virtually finished so I think my brewing startd tomorrow. Only have six presses backed up haha

Remember to keep the Pinter Concentrate in the fridge until you need them for brewing. Let the Concentrate get to room temperature before opening. This is especially important for Lockwood. I along with others, have complained of the apple vinegar taste. 

8 minutes ago, Masala said:

Guess what!! Kitchen virtually finished so I think my brewing startd tomorrow. Only have six presses backed up haha

Which one are you going to brew first?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Remember to keep the Pinter Concentrate in the fridge until you need them for brewing. Let the Concentrate get to room temperature before opening. This is especially important for Lockwood. I along with others, have complained of the apple vinegar taste. 

Which one are you going to brew first?

Resting peach face first - that is the oldest I've got ?

I've got a co pinter too so I can get cracking!

So....

A week on. The same beer but conditioned differently. One has been brewed and conditioned in the Pinter. The other was brewed in the Pinter but conditioned in bottles. Both were conditioned for the same amount of time. The former was subsequently bottled a day after the conditioning process ended ie it was the left over beer from the night before but bottled with a carbonated drop for a further 6 days. The bottles are left in the same warm place as the brewing and covered. The bottles were put back into the fridge for the final 24 hours to stop any further fermentation.

Why do this test?

Because others have suggested bottling is the best way to condition. It will also produce better clarity. It also means you have beer in the fridge for when you need it! I wanted to know of there really is a difference.

And the answer is?

Oh yes! 

Both beers look similar when poured. I asked our next door neighbour to be the judge. He was aware of the test but did not know which was which.

Here is his result...

The review is in. So when I opened the bottles the one on the left didn’t have as much of a pop as the one on the right. So I wasn’t sure what to think, colour looks same, no change in that. But the taste. Wow wow wow. The one on the left blows you away. One on the right is still good but on the left, wow. Incredible flavour. Even now after it’s settled here 10 or so mins the head is still there. I notice the one in the right has less.

For me, no question. The one on the left wins it for me in round 3. KO

My son thought differently! He preferred the brewed/conditioned then bottled version as the beer had become mellower. 

I think I will try the Bottle conditioned beer again next week to see if it has mellowed a bit more as it would have had another 7 days. It shouldn't do as it is in the fridge and not in a warm place with an added carb drop.

That's what testing is all about!

IMG-20211128-WA0009.jpg

Edited by Norn Iron
Spelling
  • Like 1

UPDATE

Having tried the bottle conditioned beer technique (brewed in Pinter only-see above) last weekend, I left the remaining bottles in the fridge for a further few days.

The bottles had a further 6 days conditioning time (2 weeks in total) and what an extra few days made for the beer! 

The licorice flavour has mellowed. The malt has become slightly sweeter but not as dominant. Overall, this bottle-conditioned Dunkel has so much more depth in taste. I could bore you silly with notes of this and that but it has become an exceptional beer as a result of leaving it an extra week on top of the Pinter's recommendation.

Will I do bottle conditioning from now on? I don't know! I certainly like using the bottles but the rubber seals need to be replaced after 5 uses apparently. Otherwise, you might get beer bottle explosions! Seals for the Grolsch bottles can be purchased online so that's not too bad.

Maybe I'll stick with brewing and conditioning in the Pinter and using the bottles for any left over beer.

One thing is for certain, the Dunkel is a winner.

20211203_183843.jpg

• Like 1

I am so looking forward to this new addition to the Pinter repertoire.

I didn't order the previous limited red ale (For the Euros) yet I love this type of beer.

It will be tapped on Christmas Eve.

The Carbonation Dial info is only if you have a Pinter 2. I don't so it's treated I  the normal way.

20211210_202705.jpg

20211210_202717.jpg

20211210_202759.jpg

Edited by Norn Iron
Photos added
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

I am so looking forward to this new addition to the Pinter repertoire.

I didn't order the previous limited red ale (For the Euros) yet I love this type of beer.

It will be tapped on Christmas Eve.

The Carbonation Dial info is only if you have a Pinter 2. I don't so it's treated I  the normal way.

20211210_202705.jpg

20211210_202717.jpg

20211210_202759.jpg

Reminds me of a Beamish Red from back in the day. Thinking about it, i've not seen any Irish red ale around for ages.

Keep us posted on this one NI.

4 hours ago, Gazred said:

Reminds me of a Beamish Red from back in the day. Thinking about it, i've not seen any Irish red ale around for ages.

Keep us posted on this one NI.

Will do.

I absolutely loved Beamish Red. Had a pint of it when City were playing a friendly at Hednesford Town's club bar in mid 90s! Memories eh?

Beamish is made in Cork and their stout was brill too. Unfortunately, Heineken bought them out.

You can no longer get Beamish Stout unless you're living in the Cork area.

As far as Red is concerned, it's making a bit of a comeback on the emerald isle. Even Guinness under their Smithwicks brand do a Red now. It's passable.

What Red Ales are available in Bristol either bottled or draught?

• Like 1

Yertiz!

The Red Ale was brewed for the maximum days recommended, followed by 2 days cold crash. It's not even ready for tapping!

Cold Crashing is optional by the way.

Before moving to the Conditioning stage, the brew dock (filter) has to be removed. The beer contents inside the dock is called Trub. Most of it is beer looking with the rest being the yeast etc in the form of a liquid sausage!

I couldn't/didn't want to waste the beer already made. The photo shows what it looks like. However, what the photo doesn't show is how great it already tastes! It is slightly fruity but so well balanced

It is already THAT good. Roll on Christmas Day when it'll be tapped and drunk!

20211219_160957.jpg

Resting Peach Face. To be honest I wasn't too sure about this one. First brew in my pinter and put mixes in in the wrong order (what is it with men and instructions?). Bit of a mess up at bottling as well, buuut bottled with a carb drop and after 2 weeks in a warm dark place and then 24 hours in the fridge just cracked one open. First impression? Really tart, sour and tasty. Got a lot of fizz, enough to send the flip top flying halfway across the (brand new) kitchen - my wife nearly had my guts for garters.

Like I say, really tasty. Ignoring a first attempt, I'm impressed!!

IMG_20211220_205352.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Masala said:

Resting Peach Face. To be honest I wasn't too sure about this one. First brew in my pinter and put mixes in in the wrong order (what is it with men and instructions?). Bit of a mess up at bottling as well, buuut bottled with a carb drop and after 2 weeks in a warm dark place and then 24 hours in the fridge just cracked one open. First impression? Really tart, sour and tasty. Got a lot of fizz, enough to send the flip top flying halfway across the (brand new) kitchen - my wife nearly had my guts for garters.

Like I say, really tasty. Ignoring a first attempt, I'm impressed!!

IMG_20211220_205352.jpg

Get you! Not only do you get a beer that you like (I haven't tried this one) but you bottled it at your first attempt with the Pinter.

Major respect!

How did you get the beer from the Pinter into the fliptops?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Get you! Not only do you get a beer that you like (I haven't tried this one) but you bottled it at your first attempt with the Pinter.

Major respect!

How did you get the beer from the Pinter into the fliptops?

I'm really pleased. Found the whole process really good fun and interesting. Space Hopper is now conditioning in a warm dark place ?

I bought a funnel from the 3D prints NI chap that's on the Facebook pinter group. It's angled so (slight

ly) reduces the foam. Worked well ?

IMG_20211221_080342.jpg

Edited by Masala
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

I use a jug and then pour the beer into the bottles. I have found that the process works well but that it takes up to 30 minutes in order for the beer to settle in the bottles. I pour to within an inch of the top.

How long did it take you to pour?

Probably about the same time. Even pouring very slowly from the tap and through the funnel it was foaming massively. I half filled each bottle initially, by the time I had finished, the first ones had settled enough to top up, I've done about an inch from the top too. 

22 hours ago, Masala said:

Probably about the same time. Even pouring very slowly from the tap and through the funnel it was foaming massively. I half filled each bottle initially, by the time I had finished, the first ones had settled enough to top up, I've done about an inch from the top too. 

I'll keep it as is then! 

Don't forget Milton Steriliser for your flip too bottles etc. 

I use 3ml per 500ml

• Like 1

Regarding bottling before or after maximum conditioning....

Having tried both versions, I think for easiness I'll drink from the Pinter but the remaining beer will be bottled the following day.

Here is the Stars and Stripes beer that I've just put into the fridge having already been carb dropped and bottled 5 days ago. I'll drink it tomorrow night. The extra day in the fridge will kill off any secondary fermentation etc..

However, look at how clear the beer is now. The sediment can be seen at the bottom of the bottle. Dead chuffed!

Don't forget to check the rubber seals on the flip tops. Apparently they should be changed every 5 uses. Plenty available on Ebay. I haven't bought any yet!

20211222_093218.jpg

• Like 1

On 21/12/2021 at 08:04, Masala said:

I'm really pleased. Found the whole process really good fun and interesting. Space Hopper is now conditioning in a warm dark place ?

I bought a funnel from the 3D prints NI chap that's on the Facebook pinter group. It's angled so (slight

ly) reduces the foam. Worked well ?

IMG_20211221_080342.jpg

What is the Space Hopper like to drink having bottled it....assuming you've opened one by now?

Last week, I have found by tinkering that the carbonation dial, if turned a few degrees clockwise, will pour slower and with a lot less froth. Worth a try.

6 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

What is the Space Hopper like to drink having bottled it....assuming you've opened one by now?

Last week, I have found by tinkering that the carbonation dial, if turned a few degrees clockwise, will pour slower and with a lot less froth. Worth a try.

I'll give that a try, cheers. Haven't tried Space Hopper yet - recovering from an attack of gout so off alcohol for another few days. I've a Dark Matter cold crashing as well so getting a bit of a backlog!

29 minutes ago, Masala said:

I'll give that a try, cheers. Haven't tried Space Hopper yet - recovering from an attack of gout so off alcohol for another few days. I've a Dark Matter cold crashing as well so getting a bit of a backlog!

Ouch. Sorry to hear about your gout.

You'll love Dark Matter. I'm not a great Guinness fan but Dark Matter is in comparison, far better!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Masala said:

Sorry missed this, I didn't add any yeadt - just 400ml of trub to flour, salt and yeast.

Here's the recipe I used

s
500g of bread flour
400ml of trub
2 tea spoons of salt
3 table spoons of oil

Method
Weigh out your 500g of flour in a mixing bowl
and add your salt.
Make a well in the middle of the flour.
Add your oil and slowly add your trub mixing
in the well and combining the flour as you go.
Once combined lightly dust a work surface
with flour and tip out your dough onto it.
Begin kneading the bread until you get a
satin texture on the surface (usually about 10
minutes).
Lightly oil a bowl and place your dough in.
Cover with clingfilm and place somewhere
warm to prove for 1 hour.
Once proven, take your dough out and knock
it back on a work surface.
Place on a baking tray and allow to prove for
another hour.
Once proven, use a knife to cut a cross into
the top of the dough.
Place in a preheated oven at 200C for half
an hour or until golden on the top and hollow
sound is made when you knock the bottom of
the loaf.

16 minutes ago, Masala said:

s
500g of bread flour
400ml of trub
2 tea spoons of salt
3 table spoons of oil

Method
Weigh out your 500g of flour in a mixing bowl
and add your salt.
Make a well in the middle of the flour.
Add your oil and slowly add your trub mixing
in the well and combining the flour as you go.
Once combined lightly dust a work surface
with flour and tip out your dough onto it.
Begin kneading the bread until you get a
satin texture on the surface (usually about 10
minutes).
Lightly oil a bowl and place your dough in.
Cover with clingfilm and place somewhere
warm to prove for 1 hour.
Once proven, take your dough out and knock
it back on a work surface.
Place on a baking tray and allow to prove for
another hour.
Once proven, use a knife to cut a cross into
the top of the dough.
Place in a preheated oven at 200C for half
an hour or until golden on the top and hollow
sound is made when you knock the bottom of
the loaf.

Ta Masala.

I've been making bread for years. Always good to know how others make bread.

My pizza dough and bread dough is the same now! I use proper pizza flour even for bread.

I've found that the oven loves to be hot, hot, hot so 220 degrees fan!

I also added 7gm yeast to the trub liquid 280ml plus 7gm sugar and 7gm salt. 40 ml of olive oil also used. 

Here are the rolls made tonight. They rose beautifully with extra yeast and fluffy inside! The beer taste was fantastic but not overwhelming.

20220106_184436.jpg

20220106_182917.jpg

IMG-20220106-WA0001.jpeg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Ta Masala.

I've been making bread for years. Always good to know how others make bread.

My pizza dough and bread dough is the same now! I use proper pizza flour even for bread.

I've found that the oven loves to be hot, hot, hot so 220 degrees fan!

I also added 7gm yeast to the trub liquid 280ml plus 7gm sugar and 7gm salt. 40 ml of olive oil also used. 

Here are the rolls made tonight. They rose beautifully with extra yeast and fluffy inside! The beer taste was fantastic but not overwhelming.

20220106_184436.jpg

20220106_182917.jpg

IMG-20220106-WA0001.jpeg

They look good. Only thing I'd say about the Dark Matter trub is that it does give a strong stout taste. Tasty mind.

3 hours ago, Masala said:

They look good. Only thing I'd say about the Dark Matter trub is that it does give a strong stout taste. Tasty mind.

Yep. Try it next time with my recipe and then you can experiment.

Dark Matter is exceptional. Looking forward to your review.

• Like 1