IGNORED

The Pinter. As advertised on telly

Norn Iron

3 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Their latest offering is Bavarian Rhapsody. 

This is what the blurb says...

Screenshot_20211120-184537_Pinter.jpg

Guess what!! Kitchen virtually finished so I think my brewing startd tomorrow. Only have six presses backed up haha

Dunkel means dark. It is! The beer is exactly how the notes above describe. We're really knocked out about how good it is. A lager? Really? Yes, really!

I will bottling any left from tonight. However, last week I brewed another Dunkel but with this brew, I will be conditioning it in flip top bottles to see if there is a difference in taste and appearance. I'll know more next weekend!

BTW go to your local independent office. You should be able to get currently for £2 a flip top bottle. The Grolsch inside is free! They're needed for the Pinter....

20211120_184244.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Masala said:

Guess what!! Kitchen virtually finished so I think my brewing startd tomorrow. Only have six presses backed up haha

Remember to keep the Pinter Concentrate in the fridge until you need them for brewing. Let the Concentrate get to room temperature before opening. This is especially important for Lockwood. I along with others, have complained of the apple vinegar taste. 

8 minutes ago, Masala said:

Which one are you going to brew first?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Remember to keep the Pinter Concentrate in the fridge until you need them for brewing. Let the Concentrate get to room temperature before opening. This is especially important for Lockwood. I along with others, have complained of the apple vinegar taste. 

Which one are you going to brew first?

Resting peach face first - that is the oldest I've got 🙂

I've got a co pinter too so I can get cracking!

So....

A week on. The same beer but conditioned differently. One has been brewed and conditioned in the Pinter. The other was brewed in the Pinter but conditioned in bottles. Both were conditioned for the same amount of time. The former was subsequently bottled a day after the conditioning process ended ie it was the left over beer from the night before but bottled with a carbonated drop for a further 6 days. The bottles are left in the same warm place as the brewing and covered. The bottles were put back into the fridge for the final 24 hours to stop any further fermentation.

Why do this test?

Because others have suggested bottling is the best way to condition. It will also produce better clarity. It also means you have beer in the fridge for when you need it! I wanted to know of there really is a difference.

And the answer is?

Oh yes! 

Both beers look similar when poured. I asked our next door neighbour to be the judge. He was aware of the test but did not know which was which.

Here is his result...

The review is in. So when I opened the bottles the one on the left didn’t have as much of a pop as the one on the right. So I wasn’t sure what to think, colour looks same, no change in that. But the taste. Wow wow wow. The one on the left blows you away. One on the right is still good but on the left, wow. Incredible flavour. Even now after it’s settled here 10 or so mins the head is still there. I notice the one in the right has less.

For me, no question. The one on the left wins it for me in round 3. KO

My son thought differently! He preferred the brewed/conditioned then bottled version as the beer had become mellower. 

I think I will try the Bottle conditioned beer again next week to see if it has mellowed a bit more as it would have had another 7 days. It shouldn't do as it is in the fridge and not in a warm place with an added carb drop.

That's what testing is all about!

IMG-20211128-WA0009.jpg

Edited by Norn Iron
Spelling
  • Like 1

UPDATE

Having tried the bottle conditioned beer technique (brewed in Pinter only-see above) last weekend, I left the remaining bottles in the fridge for a further few days.

The bottles had a further 6 days conditioning time (2 weeks in total) and what an extra few days made for the beer! 

The licorice flavour has mellowed. The malt has become slightly sweeter but not as dominant. Overall, this bottle-conditioned Dunkel has so much more depth in taste. I could bore you silly with notes of this and that but it has become an exceptional beer as a result of leaving it an extra week on top of the Pinter's recommendation.

Will I do bottle conditioning from now on? I don't know! I certainly like using the bottles but the rubber seals need to be replaced after 5 uses apparently. Otherwise, you might get beer bottle explosions! Seals for the Grolsch bottles can be purchased online so that's not too bad.

Maybe I'll stick with brewing and conditioning in the Pinter and using the bottles for any left over beer.

One thing is for certain, the Dunkel is a winner.

20211203_183843.jpg

• Like 1