IGNORED

Hidden Gems

AppyDAZE

Guitar / rock albums that only you seem to know, love and be aware of.

60s 70s 80s 90s... let's have 'em

My choice: Place Without A Postcard - Midnight Oil (1981)

Brilliant songs, musicianship, attitude.

Total quality.

Personal favourite track: Quinella Holiday (could have been any one on this record)

Molly Hatchet. A Southern Boogie band that were as good as Skynrd. If ZZ Top were a 6 piece band, they'd sound like Molly Hatchet.

Their double live album, Double Trouble Live, captured their superb sound. A faithful reproduction of Freebird is a joy to behold. However, I choose this track which has to be listened at max volume. It might be good old fashioned southern boogie but when it's played this well....just give it to me one more time!

On 23/05/2021 at 22:11, AppyDAZE said:

Total quality.

Personal favourite track: Quinella Holiday (could have been any one on this record)

We had an Aussie over playing cricket for us around the late 80s, early 90s.  He used to bang on about “the oilers”, all the time.

My favourite lesser known band, is a band from Macclesfield, no not them, but a band called The Virginmarys.  Not sure if they wanna break through or not, but they deserve too.

can’t wait to see them when they come down this way again.

On 23/05/2021 at 23:11, AppyDAZE said:

Total quality.

Midnight Oil were a fantastic band. Very underrated

On 23/05/2021 at 23:11, AppyDAZE said:

Total quality.

The Oils were headed up by Peter Garrett who was big into Aboriginal rights, conservation etc as a lot of their songs like Beds are Burning reflect.

I used to love them and trying to imitate Garretts dance style brought Dad dancing to new levels and people standing too close to me into A&E.

Some trivia for you Appy:

Peter Robert Garrett AM (born 16 April 1953)[3] is an Australian musician, environmentalist, activist and former politician.

In 1973, Garrett became the lead singer of the Australian rock band Midnight Oil. As a performer he is known for his signature bald head, his eccentric dance style, and a "mesmerising onstage presence".[4][5][6][7] He served as President of the Australian Conservation Foundation for ten years before being elected for the Labor Party as the Member of the House of Representatives for the seat of Kingsford Smith in the 2004 election.

After Labor's victory in the 2007 election, Garrett was appointed Minister for the Environment, Heritage and the Arts by Prime Minister Kevin Rudd.[8] Following the 2010 election, he was made Minister for School Education, Early Childhood and Youth by Prime Minister Julia Gillard.[9] In the aftermath of the 2013 leadership spill, Garrett resigned from the Ministry and announced he would retire from politics at the 2013 election.[10][11]

In 2003, Garrett was appointed a Member of the Order of Australia, "for service to the community as a prominent advocate for environmental conservation and protection, and to the music industry."[12] In 2009, the French Government appointed Garrett an Officer of the Order of Arts and Letters.[13] In 2010, the World Wide Fund for Nature presented him with their Leaders for a Living Planet Award.[14]

@AppyDAZE another very underrated Aussie band were The Angels who hailed from Adelaide. Great live band (not so much when on record) and would be seen all over Adelaide in various pubs. Did Ok nationally but never took off on the international scene.

One more @AppyDAZE

INXS I saw in the Largs Hotel, Adelaide while they were still known as The Farriss Bros. Changed their name a month or so later.  Went out on the batter with them and my liver still complains to this day !!

Jimmy I worked with in Port Adelaide before he formed Cold Chisel (another great underrated Adelaide band who became legends in Oz but never really made it internationally). Often meet his brother Swanee when visiting my family in Adelaide.

Back around this time the music scene was very much pub based which is why most of the bands I have mentioned (excl Midnight Oil) were much better live rather than on vinyl.  AC/DC is another I saw in the Largs and again much prefer them live. More of an edge to the music IMO.

51 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Icehouse were good. I think the lead singer was from NZ?

Iva Davies was lead singer and they started life as a band called Flowers before rebranding as Icehouse.  Great Southern Land is probably their most popular song. Another band I love and play in the car all the time.

Another were The Models out of Melbourne.  "Out of Mind, Out of Sight" is an album worthwhile downloading on Spotify along with "Hold On".

Iva was born in NSW Australia. You might be thinking of kiwis Steve Gilpin (RIP) of Mi-Sex or Jon Stevens of Noiseworks (2 more good underrated bands).

1 hour ago, BigTone said:
1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

Iva Davies was lead singer and they started life as a band called Flowers before rebranding as Icehouse.  Great Southern Land is probably their most popular song. Another band I love and play in the car all the time.

Another were The Models out of Melbourne.  "Out of Mind, Out of Sight" is an album worthwhile downloading on Spotify along with "Hold On".

Iva was born in NSW Australia. You might be thinking of kiwis Steve Gilpin (RIP) of Mi-Sex or Jon Stevens of Noiseworks (2 more good underrated bands

Hey Little Girl and Crazy are my favourite Icehouse tracks. IIRC the latter was recorded in Bath and not Peter Gabriel's studio but David Lord's?

2 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Hey Little Girl and Crazy are my favourite Icehouse tracks. IIRC the latter was recorded in Bath and not Peter Gabriel's studio but David Lord's?

Both good tracks.

Hey Little Girl was originally released under the name Flowers.  Crazy came later I think. I still have the originals on vinyl.

3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Both good tracks.

Hey Little Girl was originally released under the name Flowers.  Crazy came later I think. I still have the originals on vinyl.

A great Icehouse compilation is this album. Some were recorded in collaboration with John Oats of Hall & Oats fame.

White Heat 30 Hits

15 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Both good tracks.

I have Icehouse Live on Prerecorded VHS and Man Of Colours on good ol' vinyl

41 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Hey Little Girl was originally released under the name Flowers. 

Apologies I am thinking of "I can't help myself".  "Hey Little Girl" was when they changed their name to Icehouse

On 25/05/2021 at 00:38, Davefevs said:

We had an Aussie over playing cricket for us around the late 80s, early 90s.  He used to bang on about “the oilers”, all the time.

My favourite lesser known band, is a band from Macclesfield, no not them, but a band called The Virginmarys.  Not sure if they wanna break through or not, but they deserve too.

can’t wait to see them when they come down this way again.

Spooky!

8 tickets snapped up.

This band is a little later than @AppyDAZE'AppyDAZE's timescale, but they were formed in 1999, so I thought they should be included. 

Being a 40ish dad who wss into this band, won me a lot of kudos with my daughters emo/screamo friends and they would often bounce around the front room of our house listening to the album Horse of the Dog.

I mentioned this track in the Song Connection thread and it is a crazy 180 seconds. 

I also love the track Celebrate Your Mother, with the immortal lines "I WANNA **** YOUR MOTHER, it's a dirty job but somebody's got to do it well" :)

On 04/06/2021 at 21:13, AppyDAZE said:

A band that passed me by for ages and ages and then BANG! They are ridiculously good.

Part of the soundtrack of my youth. The intro to Vagabonds has to be one of the finest song intros ever. They have continued to put out good albums, the most recent being amongst their best work IMO.

Archived