IGNORED

have you seen the panel that is going to review football?

• Roy Hodgson (departing Crystal Palace manager)
  • Kevin Miles (chief executive, The Football Supporters' Association)
  • Professor Denise Barrett-Baxendale (chief executive, Everton FC)
  • Clarke Carlisle (former Burnley player and former chair of Professional Footballers' Association)
  • Dan Jones (partner, Football Finance)
  • Dawn Airey (chair, FA Women's Super League)
  • David Mahoney (chief operating officer, England and Wales Cricket Board)
  • James Tedford (football operations, Chelsea Women)
  • Godric Smith (director, Cambridge United)
  • Lord Finkelstein, independent member
  • Tracey couch will chair the panel AND ALL I WANT IS THAT MIDWEEK TRIPS ARE SHORTER,NOT LONGEST,SO MORE OF US CAN ATTEND
  • What would you all like to see introduced

23 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I want to see an elephant roaming the pitch in every game. If the ball hits the elephant it is a free kick to the opposition. All player shorts to have pockets designed especially to keep peanuts secure for tactical elephant luring purposes.

The change to the game that all fans want to really see. 

50 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:
  •  

49 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No Mark Ashton?..............:shocking:

...........Is the right answer! 

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I want to see an elephant roaming the pitch in every game. If the ball hits the elephant it is a free kick to the opposition. All player shorts to have pockets designed especially to keep peanuts secure for tactical elephant luring purposes.

That’s the elephant in the dressing room we all want to see addressed.

It’s an interesting idea. However, I do see a potential snag. As I understand it, the aim would be to avoid striking the elephant? There would, I think, be a problem in games involving Bristol Rovers, that could only be solved by putting an entire herd of elephants on the pitch. Otherwise, it would bestow an unfair advantage on them since, as is well known in the game, they couldn’t hit an elephant at close range.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Maybe a spot of half time 'damnatio ad bestias??....

1 hour ago, CliftonCliff said:

It’s an interesting idea. However, I do see a potential snag. As I understand it, the aim would be to avoid striking the elephant? There would, I think, be a problem in games involving Bristol Rovers, that could only be solved by putting an entire herd of elephants on the pitch. Otherwise, it would bestow an unfair advantage on them since, as is well known in the game, they couldn’t hit an elephant at close range.

And it might help improve the quality of their pitch at the Mem

4 hours ago, chinapig said:

So a fan led review that has one fan representative and is dominated by people who are or have been employed in the game then.

Somehow radical change seems unlikely.

2 hours ago, LegalEagle said:

Number of supporter group representatives on panel: 1

Number of ex-advisors to John Major on panel: 2

Really fills me with optimism.

My first thoughts precisely. 

Why not have 3 fans from each professional division - I mean why not just take the winners of each club's half time draw (or equivalent) at the first game of next season - and get some of those on the panel.

But the cynic in me foresees a cursory questionnaire being sent to whatever fan mailing list the FA have. Lots of "rate from 1-10 how important the following is to you". Allowing some nice wriggle room for the panel to determine what is actually "important to the fans".

9 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I take it your Dr was too busy to give you an urgent appointment to review your medication.

7 hours ago, The Bard said:

50% +1 ownership rule introduced.

Phased in over 3 to 5 years (ie start at 80% then the owners have to sell their  % of their shares by certain deadlines or they become controlled by fans.

Stop pissing about and allow standing.

Without control why would anyone buy the 49% of shares? I'm generally in support of the idea I just can't answer that question. I guess we could rent the other 51% to someone with a vision for 3 seasons at a time. 

The only problem with this is I assume as soon as someone has over 50% they will change the rules unless its law. 

8 hours ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

I would like to see the boxing day fixture be a local rival or somewhere easy to get to (Reading for example) because no one wants to be traveling to Middlesbrough at all

Edited for accuracy BRtB

49 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I take it your Dr was too busy to give you an urgent appointment to review your medication.

Lucky it wasn't his dentist! ?

9 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

If hitting the elephant was considered a similar offence to touching the ball with your hands it could be called 'Hannibal'

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

Without control why would anyone buy the 49% of shares? I'm generally in support of the idea I just can't answer that question. I guess we could rent the other 51% to someone with a vision for 3 seasons at a time. 

The only problem with this is I assume as soon as someone has over 50% they will change the rules unless its law. 

It is completely possible to have a 49/51 split and still have the 49% retain a) all economic rights, and therefore value, b) all rights on liquidation and winding up, and c) voting control over certain matters.

It is common in the articles of association or shareholders agreements of UK companies for minority investors to have wide ranging and controlling powers through things like reserved matters lists, board rights, drag/tag along rights and rights on IPOs and other types of exit. Such mechanisms would allow, for example, the 49% owner to retain control over a sale of his %, and for only his % to count when voting on certain matters, with others that are relevant to the fans, to require the consent of the 50+1. The 49% could also be the only shares able to receive a dividend, or to receive any money in the event of a sale (or we can get even more sophisticated and allow fans to receive say, £1 per share and the 49% guy to receive £10 per share. You can get creative.

I believe that it is possible, within the existing legal framework of England and Wales, to have a 50+1 ownership model. It just requires some initiative, some thought, and some proper drafting of the governing documents of each relevant company and group of companies. The FA and EFL could comfortably make such conditions a prerequisite for entry into the league. Clubs are already dictated to regarding stadium standards and financial spending, so a little force re their corporate governance shouldn't be too much to swallow.

But, it doesn't look like the panel includes a lawyer either, so this probably won't be mentioned in the review.

8 hours ago, chinapig said:

So a fan led review that has one fan representative and is dominated by people who are or have been employed in the game then.

Somehow radical change seems unlikely.

Exactly , fan lead review . Therefore it needs more fans on it. Another bloody fixed committee with a biased opinion which is not fan lead some one needs shooting 

13 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:
  • Roy Hodgson (departing Crystal Palace manager) - DEPARTING? ARGHHHHHHH. DOF AT CITY IT IS THEN?
  • Kevin Miles (chief executive, The Football Supporters' Association) - THATS A GOOD APPOINTMENT
  • Professor Denise Barrett-Baxendale (chief executive, Everton FC)
  • Clarke Carlisle (former Burnley player and former chair of Professional Footballers' Association) - HE TALKS A BIT TOO MUCH NO?
  • Dan Jones (partner, Football Finance)
  • Dawn Airey (chair, FA Women's Super League)
  • David Mahoney (chief operating officer, England and Wales Cricket Board) - ?
  • James Tedford (football operations, Chelsea Women)
  • Godric Smith (director, Cambridge United)
  • Lord Finkelstein, independent member
  • Tracey couch will chair the panel AND ALL I WANT IS THAT MIDWEEK TRIPS ARE SHORTER,NOT LONGEST,SO MORE OF US CAN ATTEND

Do you think one of the motions will be to allow mixed sex squads? ?

Finkelstein? is he that sort of balding, slightly plump journalist? he talks well.

My overall opinion is the panel is decidedly light weight.

13 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I suppose the one change you would actually most like to see, but did not have the balls to mention, is the shortening of the shorts in the Women's game?

Archived