IGNORED

Pre-season 2021/2022 - first friendlies announced

t_b

Just now, phantom said:

Interesting choice of venue for the games to be played

Must be logistical reasons behind it. Not that if matters to me, I honestly can’t remember ever seeing a pre season fixture.

Other than players getting fitter and adopting what ever style Nige wants to play, they’re pretty meaningless.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Must be logistical reasons behind it. Not that if matters to me, I honestly can’t remember ever seeing a pre season fixture.

Other than players getting fitter and adopting what ever style Nige wants to play, they’re pretty meaningless.

I'm the opposite.

Rarely miss a home friendly and the occasional away weekend to places like Torquay and Bournemouth.

And I don't think Ive missed a community match yet - very enjoyable occasions at local clubs I wouldn't normally visit like Bitton (although I've been there numerous times), Hallen, Brislington, Manor Farm, Hengrove etc. Put a few quid into their coffers.

Good tasters for the season ahead, get a first look at any new signings and a day out.

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I'm the opposite.

Rarely miss a home friendly and the occasional away weekend to places like Torquay and Bournemouth.

And I don't think Ive missed a community match yet - very enjoyable occasions at local clubs I wouldn't normally visit like Bitton (although I've been there numerous times), Hallen, Brislington, Manor Farm, Hengrove etc. Put a few quid into their coffers.

Good tasters for the season ahead, get a first look at any new signings and a day out.

Same . Really enjoy the Community games nice day out.

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I went to Yeovil to see Kodjia’s first appearance in this country.  City were crap, but he was good.  Lost 1-0.

I might try to go to the first one, then I’m on holiday.

• Admin
10 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Given they’ve announced these before any confirmation that rules will be changing June 21st would be leaning towards guessing this will be no fans in attendance for these games.

But it is safe to assume that from the 21st June things will be ok

No reason now to not think they won't

Was never going to be any update on this date until 14th June

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

But it is safe to assume that from the 21st June things will be ok

No reason now to not think they won't

Was never going to be any update on this date until 14th June

Is it? From the perspective of these games at least, if they turned around and said restrictions still in place at stadiums rather than a couple of hundred (or however many seats there are) you could probably have around 40 people. Surely would make more sense with fans wanting to come to just use Ashton Gate given we usually at least had a couple of thousand at pre season games from memory

42 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Im not sure that fits the brief of a modern sports high performance centre. Gym, Hydropool, Tactics school and bar full of Thatchers and pork scratchings...

Don’t think the players fit the brief either TTT. Surely mini cheddars though 

Just now, steviestevieneville said:

Games might be at the training ground because of re seeding the pitch at AG . They do it every year but the conference play off final is there this year which will delay it. 

And the home semi for the rugby boys.

18 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Games might be at the training ground because of re seeding the pitch at AG . They do it every year but the conference play off final is there this year which will delay it. 

Agreed.  Plus the games will probably be on Robins TV FOC, or at least I hope so.

41 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

This is actually a very good point.  As soon as the rugby has finished they make a start on re-seeding, and they don't mess about. The playoff final isn't until 20th June so I think you could be spot on with this.

• Admin
2 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

would they be doing it to keep the covid jabbing going without too much disruption?

Possibly but with season tickets sold in the South Stand from August it will be coming to an end soon anyway 

2 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

would they be doing it to keep the covid jabbing going without too much disruption?

Doubt that would be needed for a pre-season game. Dolman, Atyeo and Upper Lansdown would surely be enough if they wanted to keep people out of lower lansdown until the season 

19 hours ago, phantom said:

Interesting choice of venue for the games to be played

Possible reason is that our Ashton Gate pitch was not reseeded last summer. If it must be done this summer, it cannot be done until after 19 June as Bristol Bears have a home play off semi final.

I seem to remember that it takes six weeks to "burn off" the grass and reseed to be strong enough to play on. 

Next season starts first Saturday in August? Just about six weeks for grass to grow.

Archived