IGNORED

Robert Atkinson - Now Signed (Merged)

Bat Fastard

25 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I would not be at all surprised to see Kalas sold. A relegated prem side who might sell one or two centre backs maybe. Or Bournemouth still with their parachute payments.

Nige wants players to be earning more of a similar wage. I get the feeling it there is the opportunity to sell Kalas then he might take it.

I've been thinking this, too. 

Not that I'm advocating it, just it wouldn't come totally out of leftfield for me. I've been wondering whether Pearson had this sort of thing in mind when he said, more than once, we'll need to be "creative" this summer in doing deals. I'm wondering whether he might have meant we'd consider selling someone unexpected if it freed up funds to bring several others. 

Personally, I think we need as much stability this summer as possible and for that reason wouldn't be in favour of selling a Kalas or Bentley. Pearson has a big enough job on his hands as it is, surely he needs as many reliable building blocks as possible on which to base a new team. I'd want him to have Bentley - Vyner - Kalas - Dasilva - Williams - Martin - Wells as a core, to which he adds new signings. Getting rid of any of those just means adding even more to Pearson's already extensive To Do list.   

2 hours ago, chipdawg said:

As Cundy is one of the 3 centre halves we have on the books (though I think it's slightly disingenuous to completely discount Vyner and Yowler), I can't see us moving him on without bringing in Atkinson + 1

You mean Hairy Growler?

I think there are far too many assumptions that we're going to play 3-5-2. I think Pearson just stuck to what squad knew but with a pre-season in hand and his chance to change things with 12 players going out who is to say we're going to keep the same formation. Personally I hope we revert to a back 4 and Pearson creates the tactics he wants to employ and brings in players to compliment it and add depth. 

19 minutes ago, Spike said:

I think there are far too many assumptions that we're going to play 3-5-2. I think Pearson just stuck to what squad knew but with a pre-season in hand and his chance to change things with 12 players going out who is to say we're going to keep the same formation. Personally I hope we revert to a back 4 and Pearson creates the tactics he wants to employ and brings in players to compliment it and add depth. 

Don’t think anyone thinks we’ll play 352 tbh . NP historically plays a back 4 

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I'd probably agree he was about 3rd best overall with all those that started well but got injured. But I don't think he's dominant enough yet to be playing centre back in a back 4. Unless of course he comes back preseason much stronger

Depends who you pair him with and what you ask him to do.  I would say his best form for us was alongside Ashley Williams in 19/20 when Kalas, Baker and Wright we’re all out.  Him and Williams communicated really well.  That’s why I don’t want to give up on him, but he needs that growth (in performance level) now imho.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

If George Elek rates him that’s good enough for me and he watches every Oxford game

And also biased ???

Nah, he’s a good un.

59 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Atkinson can also play left back apparently. Of course that's not where he'd be brought in to play. But a bit of a bonus if Dasilva is to get injured again, having a cover for Pring assuming Pring will be back up to Dasilva next season.

You read City related tweet then…..who obviously just looked at Transfermarkt graphic, and made a big assumption. ? ?

Has played there, but at PL2 / National League level.  Bit like suggesting Steven Sessegnon is a CB because he played there once for Fulham u18s. ?

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I would not be at all surprised to see Kalas sold. A relegated prem side who might sell one or two centre backs maybe. Or Bournemouth still with their parachute payments.

Nige wants players to be earning more of a similar wage. I get the feeling it there is the opportunity to sell Kalas then he might take it.

I feel like this could be a stronger possibility than maybe we as fan base feel like. I’d not be against it either. Bit of a loss in terms of experience but maybe we can stop gap that with a free agent. 

Atkinson and Cundy I’d actually like to see if it happened. Not saying start them game 1 but think it could be a young dominant cb pairing. Both young and hungry players who have been taking opportunities when they get them. Our best recent season was with two dominant cbs in Flint and Baker. I think I crave that kind of football again. 

15 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I feel like this could be a stronger possibility than maybe we as fan base feel like. I’d not be against it either. Bit of a loss in terms of experience but maybe we can stop gap that with a free agent. 

Atkinson and Cundy I’d actually like to see if it happened. Not saying start them game 1 but think it could be a young dominant cb pairing. Both young and hungry players who have been taking opportunities when they get them. Our best recent season was with two dominant cbs in Flint and Baker. I think I crave that kind of football again. 

I don't think it impossible that Kalas will be sold. Whether or not NP would then be happy with a Cundy/Atkinson (if we get him) partnership I don't know. Big enough to be aerialy dominant at 6'5" and 6'4" respectively and perhaps good enough on the ground. Lack of Championship experience may go against yes but Swansea have made the play-off final with two 20yr olds at CB. 

57 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I haven't seen anyone saying we will be going 352. Pearson usually likes a back 4 and has gone with a back 4 in most games with us.

I've just seen a lot of mentions of needing a lot of CB's, that really isn't an issue if we're not going to use 3 at the back. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

This is Atkinson in last summers preseason game against Brentford.

Won't be that easy in a competitive game but shows what he's about.

I missed this post but watching that I do love the fact he's comfortable on the ball, that's always a huge plus for defenders so long as they're not overly confident. I like how his movement is sharp too, obviously it's only one game but it shows there is potential there.

Wonder how much Oxford would want for him?

Cant see him being cheap given he’s still got two years on his contract left to run

Cant see him being cheap given he’s still got two years on his contract left to run

25 minutes ago, Spike said:

I've just seen a lot of mentions of needing a lot of CB's, that really isn't an issue if we're not going to use 3 at the back. 

A tall, left footed centre back has just left. This player is suggested as a like for like replacement. Quite straight forward.

Unless you're advocating not replacing Baker and going with Kalas, Vyner, Moore and Cundy as our centre backs next season? That would be bold, adventurous, risky, insane, suicidal - take your pick. 

28 minutes ago, Spike said:

I missed this post but watching that I do love the fact he's comfortable on the ball, that's always a huge plus for defenders so long as they're not overly confident. I like how his movement is sharp too, obviously it's only one game but it shows there is potential there.

But you need 2 for every position . It’s possible vyner may move to right back but isn’t Dominant at centre half anyway. Taylor Moore imo isn’t good enough . If he moves on we need to bring two in & thats if cundy is deemed worth a squad place. 

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I've been thinking this, too. 

Not that I'm advocating it, just it wouldn't come totally out of leftfield for me. I've been wondering whether Pearson had this sort of thing in mind when he said, more than once, we'll need to be "creative" this summer in doing deals. I'm wondering whether he might have meant we'd consider selling someone unexpected if it freed up funds to bring several others. 

Personally, I think we need as much stability this summer as possible and for that reason wouldn't be in favour of selling a Kalas or Bentley. Pearson has a big enough job on his hands as it is, surely he needs as many reliable building blocks as possible on which to base a new team. I'd want him to have Bentley - Vyner - Kalas - Dasilva - Williams - Martin - Wells as a core, to which he adds new signings. Getting rid of any of those just means adding even more to Pearson's already extensive To Do list.   

At £8m & on our highest wages I can’t see it.

To me “be creative” here means 2 things, firstly to maximise the free agent & loan market.

Secondly possibly use players in deals, such as Taylor Moore, Nagy or Palmer if we can get any interest, or offer our players on loan to lower division clubs to secure permanent targets.

Just think Kalas is going to be part of what we are looking to build, partially because he will prove too expensive to attract much interest.

I could see Atkinson arriving early in the window (if he were to sign), and a more experienced CB arriving later in the window (free agent) to add competition at the back. 

I don't think we have seen the last of Kalas, but I have a feeling that Pearson will want additional competition for places following Kalas' performances towards the end of the season. 

The likelihood is that the only money we spend on transfer fees this summer will be from League one. 

I believe that the club would see long-term value in the likes of Atkinson and Yates. 

Then to balance the squad with some experienced free agents/loans. (I saw earlier that Gregor mentioned an article is being released tomorrow in regards to a free agent).

28 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

You can say that again.

16 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I could see Atkinson arriving early in the window (if he were to sign), and a more experienced CB arriving later in the window (free agent) to add competition at the back. 

I don't think we have seen the last of Kalas, but I have a feeling that Pearson will want additional competition for places following Kalas' performances towards the end of the season. 

The likelihood is that the only money we spend on transfer fees this summer will be from League one. 

I believe that the club would see long-term value in the likes of Atkinson and Yates. 

Then to balance the squad with some experienced free agents/loans. (I saw earlier that Gregor mentioned an article is being released tomorrow in regards to a free agent).

Could be a lot of truth in that.  Let’s say he’s on a couple of grand per week.  Oxford aren’t gonna be able to stop his head being turned at say £6k p.w.

So £1.6m (to help the math) on a 4 year deal, costs us £2.8m (£700k p.a.) over the life of the contract.  

That £700k p.a. is the average Championship wage.

He’s almost 23, so only 26 / 27 when it ends, but you’d hope in 2 years time at 24 / 25, he’s starting to really excel and you extend him again.

When you think Baker cost us £7.5m over the course of his time here (permie).

49 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

So, what are you saying?

6 minutes ago, James54De said:

I’d love Atkinson and Whatmough 

Building a L1 defence? We have to recognise there is a risk to recruiting from lower leagues. Maybe it works out and maybe we get another Adelakun, Matty Taylor or a Jack Marriott. 

Teams that get promotion generally have a few stand out players. Buendia at Norwich, Sarr at Watford etc. Will we find those in L1 I wonder. Just have to trust in NP's judgement I guess. 

5 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Building a L1 defence? We have to recognise there is a risk to recruiting from lower leagues. Maybe it works out and maybe we get another Adelakun, Matty Taylor or a Jack Marriott. 

Teams that get promotion generally have a few stand out players. Buendia at Norwich, Sarr at Watford etc. Will we find those in L1 I wonder. Just have to trust in NP's judgement I guess. 

Buendía came from the Spanish 2nd division and Sarr was at a mid table French team. 

8 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

If George Elek rates him that’s good enough for me and he watches every Oxford game

George Elek said on this weeks NTT20 podcast, that he hoped anyone who was interested in signing Robert Atkinson, had watched both legs of the playoff semi against Blackpool. He said he’d played poorly in both matches. 

Of course this was said with tongue firmly in cheek, as he caveated it by saying what a great season he had had overall, and he expects him and Elliott Moore (his RCB partner) to both be sold during this summer transfer window.

COYR.

Archived