IGNORED

Robert Atkinson - Now Signed (Merged)

Bat Fastard

The report also suggests that he would be our ‘marque signing this summer’ which, if true, suggests any new forwards will be underwhelming names. Which I don’t have any problem with provided they do the business and score goals.

Forgot to add that bearing in mind Atkinson’s partner is Elliott Moore, former Leicester (from age eight) and Leuvens loanee under Pearson, I’m encouraged that he sees Atkinson as a CB option.  Would be all too easy to go for Moore….unless it’s a double swoop!

Be very happy if we got this one over the line. I am sure we have some wiggle room for a fee here and there. Wages will be less than half Baker I imagine. If you look at as his replacement likely his fee and wages towards ffp will be less than just Baker’s wages. 

I’d be a bit skeptical of the pairing of Atkinson and Kalas though. While tall not sure I have seen dominant in the clips I have seen of him. Maybe I haven’t seen the right clips so tell me if I am wrong! We were bullied often last season and while Kalas is a fighter he isn’t ever going to dominate a 6’3 unit of a striker for 90 min. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Be very happy if we got this one over the line. I am sure we have some wiggle room for a fee here and there. Wages will be less than half Baker I imagine. If you look at as his replacement likely his fee and wages towards ffp will be less than just Baker’s wages. 

I’d be a bit skeptical of the pairing of Atkinson and Kalas though. While tall not sure I have seen dominant in the clips I have seen of him. Maybe I haven’t seen the right clips so tell me if I am wrong! We were bullied often last season and while Kalas is a fighter he isn’t ever going to dominate a 6’3 unit of a striker for 90 min. 

Can see your point. From what I’ve watched of Atkinson he actually looks to break the lines and play out from the back which is what we’ve missed ever since Webster left. 

I think in regards of you saying we were bullied. Having Williams and James as holding midfielders will add abit of steel which hopefully means teams won’t get so many shooting opportunities or easy openings which happened so often last season.

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Forgot to add that bearing in mind Atkinson’s partner is Elliott Moore, former Leicester (from age eight) and Leuvens loanee under Pearson, I’m encouraged that he sees Atkinson as a CB option.  Would be all too easy to go for Moore….unless it’s a double swoop!

Pearson did mention TWO centre backs.

Although it's highly unlikely that Oxford would be willing to part ways with both of their starting centre backs. 

I expect the second centre back to be an 'experienced' sort. Likely to be a free agent released from Prem or championship. 

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Atkinson is in a similar mould to Webster.

Who Kalas played his best football alongside. 

I could see us setting up in a back 3, with:

Kalas - Atkinson - plus one

Atkinson likes to dribble forward with the ball into a midfield position, which would allow Kalas + one other, to form a duo, whilst wing backs drop back to form a back 4. Then when Atkinson drops back, we revert to a back 3, and wing backs push forward. 

Although finding £1.6m may tight in COVID times, I feel it’s manageable. Twelve players have left and NP is only planning on bringing in five, so there is a big wage bill saving. Also there still may be one or two outgoings that bring in a fee. Nagy didn’t seem to be in NP’s plans; Bentley if a big offer comes in; possibly Moore 

14 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Can see Palmer being shipped out. Find it odd he’s still on holiday when he should surely be back doing fitness tests with everyone else. He only played one game for Jamaica and that was a few weeks ago 

I can only guess that having been selected as part of the 30 man squad for their friendlies (that finished on 12th June) that he’s now getting a break.  Pretty sure he travelled.  The fact he didn’t get any game time is unknown, plus they start CONCACAF matches on 12th July, so if selected he won’t be about much for us anyway.  One to wait for official news imho.

16 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Can see Palmer being shipped out. Find it odd he’s still on holiday when he should surely be back doing fitness tests with everyone else. He only played one game for Jamaica and that was a few weeks ago 

I thought the same.

He would be in the bracket of players whose fitness I would question. In terms of technical ability, he's very good. I feel it's his fitness that lets him down.

If you were to compare Palmer and Paterson as players, you always felt that Pato would put in a shift and work hard for the team. It's very rare to see Palmer charging around the pitch. 

In my opinion, Palmer, Moore and Nagy could be moved on to bring in additional funds. 

We could replace all, and lower the wage budget at the same time:

Palmer (out) - Matt Crooks (in) or Taylor Richards (in - Loan)

Moore (out) - Experienced free agent (in), Cundy (Moore replacement)

Nagy (out) - James (in) 

6 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I thought the same.

He would be in the bracket of players whose fitness I would question. In terms of technical ability, he's very good. I feel it's his fitness that lets him down.

If you were to compare Palmer and Paterson as players, you always felt that Pato would put in a shift and work hard for the team. It's very rare to see Palmer charging around the pitch. 

In my opinion, Palmer, Moore and Nagy could be moved on to bring in additional funds. 

Nagy (out) - James (in) 

I disagree….I’d say it’s exactly what you do see….but poorly executed - ultimately knackering himself in the process.

11 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I thought the same.

Nagy (out) - James (in) 

This is such a common misconception imo. In Palmer under Pearson I saw one of the hardest workers in the team, putting himself about, getting tackles in etc but so much so that it impacted on his ability with the ball. Where I agree with you is around his fitness. This could be a huge summer for Kasey, with a full Pearson/Rennie pre-season under his belt he could be a top player for us this season imv so it would be a real shame if his Jamaica exploits impacted on his ability to get in top shape for the start of the season.

I would say the season just gone, Palmer certainly showed improvement in fitness and willingness to run around, defend more and put a foot in. I had been pleased with him but doing all that takes away from the things he’s good at. I think we’ll struggle to get the best of both worlds out of Palmer but here’s hoping NP can so that we can actually justify the outlay in him

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Although finding £1.6m may tight in COVID times, I feel it’s manageable. Twelve players have left and NP is only planning on bringing in five, so there is a big wage bill saving. Also there still may be one or two outgoings that bring in a fee. Nagy didn’t seem to be in NP’s plans; Bentley if a big offer comes in; possibly Moore 

Surely with a Billionaire owner and shipping out so many players we can afford this player. Or will we fanny about and let somebody walk in and take him. Pay it and get him signed. NP needs backing.

2 hours ago, BOSRed said:

Can't see anyone wanting to pay his wages as we overpaid for him. Think we may be unable to move him on permanently but might be able to loan him out. Can't help thinking we will end up making a big loss on KP.

Can't see anyone wanting to pay his wages as we overpaid for him. Think we may be unable to move him on permanently but might be able to loan him out. Can't help thinking we will end up making a big loss on KP.

2 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I thought the same.

Palmer has had fitness issues in his career, but I wouldn't say work rate is quite his biggest flaw. He's often labelled as "lazy", but in terms of his physical effort, I don't have too many complaints.

His laziness is more of a mental thing for me. He appears to lose focus quite frequently, misplacing a simple pass or miscontrolling a ball. Often I feel that it's because he's not 100% focused on the execution of said action.

Equally, defensively, it's not physical laziness IMHO. It's a lack of concentration. Is he focused on tracking his man? On pressing in the right way? On having the discipline not to give away a clumsy/needless foul in a dangerous area?

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I can only guess that having been selected as part of the 30 man squad for their friendlies (that finished on 12th June) that he’s now getting a break.  Pretty sure he travelled.  The fact he didn’t get any game time is unknown, plus they start CONCACAF matches on 12th July, so if selected he won’t be about much for us anyway.  One to wait for official news imho.

I heard he’s on holiday without NP’s permission. Also been under strict guidelines to only eat salad, but can be seen on Instagram eating egg on toast for breakfast. Constantly with his top off showing how overweight he is too. Just another sign of his awful attitude. ? *

* disclaimer: may not be accurate but fits the agenda for some

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I heard he’s on holiday without NP’s permission. Also been under strict guidelines to only eat salad, but can be seen on Instagram eating egg on toast for breakfast. Constantly with his top off showing how overweight he is too. Just another sign of his awful attitude. ? *

* disclaimer: may not be accurate but fits the agenda for some

Scrambled or fried ?

Its important.

Archived