IGNORED

Robert Atkinson - Now Signed (Merged)

Bat Fastard

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

Can't see anyone wanting to pay his wages as we overpaid for him. Think we may be unable to move him on permanently but might be able to loan him out. Can't help thinking we will end up making a big loss on KP.

Can't see anyone wanting to pay his wages as we overpaid for him. Think we may be unable to move him on permanently but might be able to loan him out. Can't help thinking we will end up making a big loss on KP.

You can say that again

24 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Can almost make a prediction on all the signings now. Except who the striker is.

My hunch is Florian Aye. The foreign Twitter accounts usually tend to be more right than wrong.

3 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

Surely with a Billionaire owner and shipping out so many players we can afford this player. Or will we fanny about and let somebody walk in and take him. Pay it and get him signed. NP needs backing.

Steve Lansdown has a couple of billion, but his aim is to make the club self sustaining. He doesn’t want to keep putting money into the club and the FFP rules prevent him from over doing it. I agree that NP needs backing, but within reason. Every player has his reasonable price and, in the past, City has been guilty of paying over the odds. I think SL has got himself a new manager and CEO who will implement sustainable a  transfer policy 

7 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Interesting that the Oxford fans forum are asking for more than £1.6M for Atkinson and a couple have mentioned Taylor Moore as part of a deal.

What do you think? 

Do we cut our losses on TM and bid eg £1.5M plus TM?

All depends on whether Robinson is interested, not their fans.

I wondered if Moore permanently or Cundy (who is from Oxford) on a season’s loan might be offered.

We would be pretty foolish to accept £1.5m & Moore seeing they value Atkinson at £1.6m, more like around a million plus Moore or say, a £250k loan fee for Cundy.

14 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Interesting that the Oxford fans forum are asking for more than £1.6M for Atkinson and a couple have mentioned Taylor Moore as part of a deal.

What do you think? 

Do we cut our losses on TM and bid eg £1.5M plus TM?

Easy for me to say, but I would go for that if realistic. I like Taylor Moore but for me he lacks something and unless he rapidly improves I can't see him making it here.

It's a cliché of course but I would absolutely love to be proven wrong as he seems like a great young man, but I think it's time we cut our losses on him and tried something else. 

2 hours ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Who? 

Atkinson, King and James are players that I can see happening. Not sure about the others. 

5 perms and a couple loans it seemed from his interview last week

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Lees and Douglas

Agree Atkinson, James and King are the most likely ones at the moment. 

IMO Lees seems a bit more likely than Douglas, given NP's comments on wanting CBs, CMs and a striker. I wonder if Pring would leave if Douglas was coming in.

2 hours ago, DaveF said:

Michael Smith?

Not sure who the striker might be. Smith a bit older than I'd like. I wonder if Pearson would be content with Smith's goal output given his comment of "someone to score the goals". Am I right in thinking NP's also suggested he'd want a relatively fast striker?

Looking like we'll have to part with decent money (in the context of COVID finances) for a striker that meets our requirements. Maybe to be funded by a player sale?

6 hours ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Who? 

Atkinson, King and James are players that I can see happening. Not sure about the others. 

5 perms and a couple loans it seemed from his interview last week

Considering BN prefers all players in for the start of training, it could be a busy week!

5 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Steve Lansdown has a couple of billion, but his aim is to make the club self sustaining. He doesn’t want to keep putting money into the club and the FFP rules prevent him from over doing it. I agree that NP needs backing, but within reason. Every player has his reasonable price and, in the past, City has been guilty of paying over the odds. I think SL has got himself a new manager and CEO who will implement sustainable a  transfer policy 

Compared to the money spent by Johnson on players under Lansdown's reign, I would have said that if this amount was spent to get Atkinson it was quite reasonable. We have got rid of 11 players and some loanees. We cannot rebuild a team and not spend any money. The longer we wait the more chance of losing him.

According to today’s Bristol Live we are reluctant to pay the £1.6m asking price for Atkinson. A few on here could well be disappointed at our Summer spend. Some were saying that we should loan out Cundy as part of the deal.  Cundy may however save us the money if he steps up pre-season. I think it’s going to be very much a consolidation season ahead as it’s not a viable time to gamble. 

17 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Found this. Proper weird video ?

That is one weird video.

It's like one done by your dad, so he can remember all the games you played in growing up. Even in those clips, he's not exactly doing anything that i would describe as "Sublime".

I'm sure there's videos of his performances for Oxford Utd that demonstrate his abilities more than shorts of 5 aside games from under12s/13s.

Bizarre...

2 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

According to today’s Bristol Live we are reluctant to pay the £1.6m asking price for Atkinson. A few on here could well be disappointed at our Summer spend. Some were saying that we should loan out Cundy as part of the deal.  Cundy may however save us the money if he steps up pre-season. I think it’s going to be very much a consolidation season ahead as it’s not a viable time to gamble. 

Well we are going to be in for a very very long summer if we are reluctant to pay £1.6m.. free agents and loans are all well and good but the board and SL must realise that some money has to be spent this window.

I do genuinely think Nigel will have a £4-5 million budget to spend this summer, we have just let 11 first team players go so giving him little to no money to spend would be championship suicide and that’s not something SL wants to happen I’m sure. Personally from what i have seen of Atkinson i would say £1.6m for a 22 year old left sided English centre half with bags of potential is fairly cheap even in a covid market.

6 minutes ago, bris red said:

Well we are going to be in for a very very long summer if we are reluctant to pay £1.6m.. free agents and loans are all well and good but the board and SL must realise that some money has to be spent this window.

I do genuinely think Nigel will have a £4-5 million budget to spend this summer, we have just let 11 first team players go so giving him little to no money to spend would be championship suicide and that’s not something SL wants to happen I’m sure. Personally from what i have seen of Atkinson i would say £1.6m for a 22 year old left sided English centre half with bags of potential is fairly cheap even in a covid market.

And what part of 120% of our income going on wages is too difficult to understand ? 

2 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Er....have I missed something, WHAT summer spend ? :dunno:

28 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

And what part of 120% of our income going on wages is too difficult to understand ? 

That is basically every championship club without parachute payments. The readjustment is letting 11 players go. You can’t be self sustainable in the championship long term at present. There will be a slight readjustment for a season or two because of covid and things will be back to where they were. We are not churning out academy players worth 5-10m every year so investment into players like Atkinson is essential. We have to develop 1.5m players into 5-10m ones to compete in this league. If we are unwilling then we will be left behind. 

30 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

That is basically every championship club without parachute payments. The readjustment is letting 11 players go. You can’t be self sustainable in the championship long term at present. There will be a slight readjustment for a season or two because of covid and things will be back to where they were. We are not churning out academy players worth 5-10m every year so investment into players like Atkinson is essential. We have to develop 1.5m players into 5-10m ones to compete in this league. If we are unwilling then we will be left behind. 

Maybe this year we need to concentrate on players that we can turn into 1.5 million ones ? 

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

Maybe this year we need to concentrate on players that we can turn into 1.5 million ones ? 

Yes but we are limited in that type of player imo. The reason I am big on Atkinson is because he is a CB. There is a track record of them going for good money from the championship to the premier league. Have to look at strikers, attacking midfielders and central defenders imo. Those are the positions that net you big profits if you develop correctly. 

At the minute we do not have many players in those positions that could develop. Think arguably Semenyo is the only one we have. Everyone else is too unproven or too old. Then our young players that have been showing ability are in positions that generally do not go for big money. 

We need to be better at developing players. I 100% agree but we are bare at the minute. We sold all our best young players and done a poor job replenishing. We have to start again. There will be a cost to that but it generally helps in the long run. Focusing on just staying up with frees probably puts us back in the same position next summer except everyone is a year older. 

50 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Then our young players that have been showing ability are in positions that generally do not go for big money. 

Sorry but we have young players in every position. 
I don’t quite follow your logic Joe. 
Is it just that we are kind of missing the next Semenyo  who has a full Championship season under his belt ? 

25 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Sorry but we have young players in every position. 
I don’t quite follow your logic Joe. 
Is it just that we are kind of missing the next Semenyo  who has a full Championship season under his belt ? 

It is that we do not have young players in positions that fetch the best fees. Or I should say young players with the attributes generally looked for at higher levels. Semenyo a good example of what is looked for. He has the things you can’t teach like the pace and power along with being young and perceived potential. That is why he’d fetch a decent fee if we were to sell. We don’t have that anywhere else in the squad as of yet. 

Then there are the positional values. At the minute we have a fair few young players in the midfield. Let’s look at Massengo as an example. Think we all pretty much agree he’ll play at a higher level than championship for most the rest of his career. That said, he does not score goals nor does he create them. That is fine, he brings attributes outside that. These types of players from the championship do not net you large fees. There will be some profit on Massengo I am sure but we won’t be getting more than 3-5m(imo)and a lot of that will be for things that we do not control like his academy upbringing, his age and being in the french youth set up. 

It is quite hard to explain over a forum. We do have a fair amount of young players around. I just question the ability of a lot of them. Of the academy players we played this season, I’d only keep 3 around the squad. The rest need loans and good ones at that I feel. Now 3 is a decent start but as you said earlier these could be the ones we turn into 1.5m players this season. We can do that and add players a year or two ahead of them in development. 

20 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

With our losses as they are, and the amount of free transfers waiting to be picked up, I really struggle to see why we would pay 1.5 million on a league 1 centre back in the current market.

Who would you suggest we look at instead?

22 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

With our losses as they are, and the amount of free transfers waiting to be picked up, I really struggle to see why we would pay 1.5 million on a league 1 centre back in the current market.

Yes its a risk with how Covid is at the moment, fans might not be back in the gate for some time and even then not even half capacity I would imagine.

Thing is you could look at our situation and say we are lucky as we let a dozen players go that would have freed up I imagine a hefty amount. I saw some ballpark figures from people on here at around 4 or 5 million. Accurate or not we have improved our situation and we won't be paying Atkinson the same as Baker or Mawson.

I can see us spending similar for a forward and or midfielder if the free agent/loan market isn't viable.

26 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

22 years old, League One team of the year. Ability to play out from the back, and in a similar mould to Webster. 

£1.4m for a promising young Centre back is good business in my opinion. 

Money may be tight this summer, but there are many free agents available in other positions. The potential signings of Andy King and Matty James highlights this. 

It's a very valid point regarding free agents, and I believe we will bring in one free agent Centre Back. 

However, in regards to Atkinson, he is a player who could treble in value off the back of one good season in the championship. Rob Dickie being the example, who is now valued at around £10m (signed for £2m) following interest from Burnley. 

28 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

I am inclined to agree with you however I am sure that the number crunchers see value in a young left sided ball playing centre half so hope that, if this goes through,  it is a calculated gamble that pays off.

It’s fascinating to watch the development of this position which used to be ‘ a big lad at the back’ who were ‘ ten’a’penny’. 

Archived