IGNORED

Robert Atkinson - Now Signed (Merged)

Bat Fastard

4 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Watched the lad. No movement at all. Like a statue. 

That may be true. However last time I watched him he looked strong and very tall, surely worth it as Fams replacement for defending set pieces?

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

With our losses as they are, and the amount of free transfers waiting to be picked up, I really struggle to see why we would pay 1.5 million on a league 1 centre back in the current market.

£1.5m isn't too bad when you consider that we're getting a 22 year old, 6'4, defensively strong, ball playing, left footed CB.

True, there are a lot of free transfers available, but there's often a reason why they're without a contract elsewhere. There won't be many "long term solution" signings available for free - especially not ones that fit our requirements as accurately as Atkinson does.

It looks like we'll make a couple of signings like this one, then supplement that with a handful of free agents (e.g. James, King, Lees, etc)

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I am inclined to agree with you however I am sure that the number crunchers see value in a young left sided ball playing centre half so hope that, if this goes through,  it is a calculated gamble that pays off.

It’s fascinating to watch the development of this position which used to be ‘ a big lad at the back’ who were ‘ ten’a’penny’. 

Of course there's risk in every signing, but in cases like this it's rather low IMO. The potential upside massively outweighs the potential downside.
Even with "failed" signings from L1/L2 like Szmodics and Eisa, we were able to pretty much break even. Conversely, there's the possibility that Atkinson develops in a similar way to Rob Dickie or Adam Webster, and his value skyrockets. 

14 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

£1.5m isn't too bad when you consider that we're getting a 22 year old, 6'4, defensively strong, ball playing, left footed CB.

True, there are a lot of free transfers available, but there's often a reason why they're without a contract elsewhere. There won't be many "long term solution" signings available for free - especially not ones that fit our requirements as accurately as Atkinson does.

It looks like we'll make a couple of signings like this one, then supplement that with a handful of free agents (e.g. James, King, Lees, etc)

Of course there's risk in every signing, but in cases like this it's rather low IMO. The potential upside massively outweighs the potential downside.
Even with "failed" signings from L1/L2 like Szmodics and Eisa, we were able to pretty much break even. Conversely, there's the possibility that Atkinson develops in a similar way to Rob Dickie or Adam Webster, and his value skyrockets. 

The only problem with Eisa and Szmodics was that these were sold before COVID finances had really taken a grip.  We were still in an inflationary market with Eisa, and in Szmodics case he’d been on loan at Peterborough already….fee might’ve already been set (speculation from me).

2 hours ago, SBB said:

Who would you suggest we look at instead?

Its not my job to be sourcing players for city, but for a big experienced defender, tom lees is the obvious one.

i think fevs says just above the market is dead, if he doesnt work out it will be years, if ever, before we get any money back because other clubs just dont have it. i figure a 1.5m transfer fee this summer is the equivalent to 3-4 million 2 years ago. We could do it then because of transfer fees incoming, but not now,,,,, or if we could, would we really want to swap bentley or semenyo for atkinson at this point?

Its just such a shame that all the money weve got in over the last few years is gone. 

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The only problem with Eisa and Szmodics was that these were sold before COVID finances had really taken a grip.  We were still in an inflationary market with Eisa, and in Szmodics case he’d been on loan at Peterborough already….fee might’ve already been set (speculation from me).

Good point, though I'd still say Atkinson feels a relatively low risk signing.

Could it be argued that we're essentially "buying the dip" in terms of signings right now? With fans returning and revenues to improve again, you'd imagine that transfer fees will begin to rise again at some point in the next few years (or at least not fall any further)

1 minute ago, Bainsey said:

Sky Sports reporting that Oxford are set to reject our 1.4m bid and are looking for in excess of 2m.

I am not saying we should be paying over 2 million but what sort of budget has NP got to rebuild a squad and team. All the money wasted by previous managers under Lansdown and when we have a good manager who is looking for quality signings he appears to have little money to work with. NP's task was massive at the outset but could start to resemble mission impossible.

2 minutes ago, Bainsey said:

This feels to me like one we could miss out on if it doesn't happen soon. Let's meet in the middle at 1.7m and just get it done. If Oxford are unwilling to negotiate then just leave it and move onto other targets.

Bang in some decent add ons for them and job’s a good ‘un.

We bought COD from them they know we are a proper club. 

Sky are awful these days, just pick shit up from twitter that has been made up by clowns like sportbible ect.

They used to be bang on with transfers, but that is going back a good 5 years now. Kaveh and Darmesh are the biggest rumour merchants going yet they are the main reporters for sky on transfers!

6 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Sky are awful these days, just pick shit up from twitter that has been made up by clowns like sportbible ect.

They used to be bang on with transfers, but that is going back a good 5 years now. Kaveh and Darmesh are the biggest rumour merchants going yet they are the main reporters for sky on transfers!

Bravo

45 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

I am not saying we should be paying over 2 million but what sort of budget has NP got to rebuild a squad and team. All the money wasted by previous managers under Lansdown and when we have a good manager who is looking for quality signings he appears to have little money to work with. NP's task was massive at the outset but could start to resemble mission impossible.

Difficult one with Atkinson i think. Getting free transfers in, is all well and good. But they tend to be late 20s, early 30s; and thus have no real resale/profit. The wages are just dead money. You do need to take a bit of a risk on young players, that may turn into the next Webster. Then again they may go down the route of the Taylor Moores.

It's a bit of a gamble based on 1 season in L1. Yates, and Simms absolutely trashed him in the playoffs for Blackpool; and it's a massive leap for a defender up to the Championship.

Based on our appalling defensive stats from last season, it's possibly the most important position to get right this summer.

We obviously have very little funds for transfers at the moment; and that won't probably change until later on in the window (possibly even late August 2-3 weeks into the season).

I think we've got to stick to our guns at the moment, set a limit; and not get dragged into an auction. Every player has a price; at present for me, Atkinson at £1.5m seems acceptable based on 1 seasons worth of potential.

If Oxford want more, then so be it. Thank you, we walk away; and move on to other targets.

11 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Obviously we are interested in him but I’m not sure The EP knows very much at all about our summer targets.

Pearson was very clear that he wanted 2 centre halves & apart from a brief mention of Tom Lees they haven’t put forward a single name.

Likewise up front, they started off saying Michael Smith was our number one target, then linked us with Piggott, today Gregor is saying it won’t be Smith & it probably won’t be Piggott.

You get the distinct impression they are guessing.

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Obviously we are interested in him but I’m not sure The EP knows very much at all about our summer targets.

Pearson was very clear that he wanted 2 centre halves & apart from a brief mention of Tom Lees they haven’t put forward a single name.

Likewise up front, they started off saying Michael Smith was our number one target, then linked us with Piggott, today Gregor is saying it won’t be Smith & it probably won’t be Piggott.

Haven't got a ****** clue !

2 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Let’s hope he fails and we move on like we should have. Never go back, especially for someone as unreliable as him

Think that’s abit harsh. When he’s fit he’s our best defender. And I’m sure Rennie will do the medical to make sure he’s 100% worth the risk. I think it’s good for both parties because he would’ve also had to take a Wage cut 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

“Wide of the mark” as I believe Gregor says

1 minute ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Think that’s abit harsh. When he’s fit he’s our best defender. And I’m sure Rennie will do the medical to make sure he’s 100% worth the risk. I think it’s good for both parties because he would’ve also had to take a Wage cut 

I think the Euros has shown that first line isn’t true..

I’m not sure at all about this, last season apart Baker’s availability wasn’t as bad as some think but I felt (like Paterson) it was time for a clean break.

Obviously this is only with a huge pay cut but does suggest we are struggling to land our targets, well any that haven’t played for Leicester..

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I think the Euros has shown that first line isn’t true..

I’m not sure at all about this, last season apart Baker’s availability wasn’t as bad as some think but I felt (like Paterson) it was time for a clean break.

Obviously this is only with a huge pay cut but does suggest we are struggling to land our targets, well any that haven’t played for Leicester..

Up until last season Baker was available more often then not,

But then our recovery team got hold of him last season and bang injured

Archived