IGNORED

Robert Atkinson - Now Signed (Merged)

Bat Fastard

9 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Think that’s abit harsh. When he’s fit he’s our best defender. And I’m sure Rennie will do the medical to make sure he’s 100% worth the risk. I think it’s good for both parties because he would’ve also had to take a Wage cut 

A fit on form Baker is one of the best defenders in this league. 

Keeping him fit, and some of that could be mentally as well as physically, is another thing though.

If this rumour does have legs, you'd also have to assume that it's on a hugely significantly reduced contract, and possibly a 1 year deal with an option (maybe for both sides)?

You'd also hope that the supposed rift between Baker and Kalas has been sorted, or both have been told to grow up and get on with things on the pitch - again, of there is anything in that.

You don't have to be the best of mates to play well together - Andy Cole and Teddy Sheringham disproved that theory at Man Utd. Both hated each other and wouldn't talk off the pitch. Still, didn't do badly when they were together did they!

Baker makes more sense than someone like Tom Lees to me. Signing Atkinson would be a priority for me but he may need some time to find the level. Allows the flexibility to pick matchups for Atkinson to play in. Could see him possibly at LB in certain matchups. Point is, two left footed CBs with one a good ball player gives us options. 

24 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Think that’s abit harsh. When he’s fit he’s our best defender. And I’m sure Rennie will do the medical to make sure he’s 100% worth the risk. I think it’s good for both parties because he would’ve also had to take a Wage cut 

Since we signed Kalas and Webster he has been pretty far from being our best centre half.  In fact before that he wasn't as good as Flint so, in fact he has never been our best centre half

I'll be a lot happier with signing Atkinson than with signing Baker. I don't understand how many times we'll need to be taught the lesson regarding Baker's fitness before we'll learn it. Signing Atkinson to partner Kalas and make sure Baker is only cover will make it seem less insane. Plus this Atkinson boy looks talented, and good value.

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

Oh you are such a tease!!

I was gonna put some more clues up, but someone started another thread. ???

Just now, BCFCGav said:

I'll be a lot happier with signing Atkinson than with signing Baker. I don't understand how many times we'll need to be taught the lesson regarding Baker's fitness before we'll learn it. Signing Atkinson to partner Kalas and make sure Baker is only cover will make it seem less insane. Plus this Atkinson boy looks talented, and good value.

think we might sign both.

Would rather we sign atkinson and a loan signing instead.

cant understand why we’re re-signing someone who was deemed not good enough for a new deal and who is horrendously unreliable due to being injury prone. Only 3 games we got out of his 20k per week contract last season. I no way or form should we be going back to him when there are plenty of better options out there in the loan market.

absolutely baffles me and I have upmost confidence we will be interviewing NP down the line bemoaning bakers absence in a time of need

20 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

cant understand why we’re re-signing someone who was deemed not good enough for a new deal and who is horrendously unreliable due to being injury prone. Only 3 games we got out of his 20k per week contract last season. I no way or form should we be going back to him when there are plenty of better options out there in the loan market.

absolutely baffles me and I have upmost confidence we will be interviewing NP down the line bemoaning bakers absence in a time of need

May cast some eyes at the previous medical team before casting them at the player,

Consider said medical had been criticised in the national media from the players about poor recovery

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I was gonna put some more clues up, but someone started another thread. ???

think we might sign both.

I agree @Davefevs.

NP needed two right backs, and has worked around that with the Simpson deal, and Vyner probably moving there.

Likewise with centre backs, we need two left footed ones. Finances being what they are, and Baker being un-able to get a another deal elsewhere; it makes sense to explore whether something can be done that will suit both parties. Moore, and Cundy being the right footed CBs.

Britton's goal against Brentford showed how we have been missing an aggressive dominant Centre Back all season; at set pieces and defensively. Maybe Rennie thinks he can/and will continue to keep Baker fit.

Finances are obviously extremely tight; and maybe if we need to give a bit more to the Atkinson/Another defender to get that over the line, then the purchase of another potentially unproven defender, is a step too far cost wise.

My only concern is the effect Baker signing will have on Kalas. That relationship has badly broken down by all accounts; and thus maybe it's all a precursor to Kalas leaving after the Euros? 

Baker apparently moved up north (they used to live close to each other) demonstrating that he obviously felt he was off back up to Brum land. Maybe things haven't panned out for him?

We always said there would be compromises this summer, and some decisions that fans will be puzzled/disappointed with.

1 hour ago, BOSRed said:

We don’t know he wasn’t offered a new deal do we?  He might’ve been offered a deal, thought he’d look around and turned it down.  Maybe other clubs aren’t as forthcoming as mutual intermediates made out, and now he’s back trying to resurrect the deal….with City holding the aces.

14 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I am sure we will. Should allow some space in the budget to get a decent striker (assuming King proves his fitness) and maybe sell Nagy (not ruling our Wells moving yet ...)

No, one of the bigger / more financially viable clubs might come in for Wells.  Swansea maybe, now without Ayew?

This transfer window has definitely got the feel of one that means the team that starts on the 7th Aug, may well look  very different to the one at end of the month.

However much managers want players in early doors, teams will be holding onto contracted players for as long as possible.

European teams will also be looking to do their business late in the window, with a lot of players arriving back late after the Euros.

If Nagy and Kalas are to move, it's going to be late doors; and any money that comes to us from those deals will be spent at the end of the window.

Maybe the budget at present is all going on the Centre back, and a Striker purchase will have to wait until the end of August?

23 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

This transfer window has definitely got the feel of one that means the team that starts on the 7th Aug, may well look  very different to the one at end of the month.

However much managers want players in early doors, teams will be holding onto contracted players for as long as possible.

European teams will also be looking to do their business late in the window, with a lot of players arriving back late after the Euros.

If Nagy and Kalas are to move, it's going to be late doors; and any money that comes to us from those deals will be spent at the end of the window.

Maybe the budget at present is all going on the Centre back, and a Striker purchase will have to wait until the end of August?

Can someone explain what early doors means (and therefore late doors)? It’s a genuine question, as opposed to me being a pedantic old fart, which may well be the case. I first heard ‘Big Ron’ Atkinson use the former term and its been repeated ad infinitum since, but only in a football context, and never understood it, as opposed to “early days”. I always thought early Doors was Light My Fire....wish I’d kept my mono copy of their first album. Maybe early doors and late doors are Aldous Huxley’s Doors of Perception and Big Ron had just read it, which I haven’t?

7 minutes ago, Richard Head said:

Can someone explain what early doors means (and therefore late doors)? It’s a genuine question, as opposed to me being a pedantic old fart, which may well be the case. I first heard ‘Big Ron’ Atkinson use the former term and its been repeated ad infinitum since, but only in a football context, and never understood it, as opposed to “early days”. I always thought early Doors was Light My Fire....wish I’d kept my mono copy of their first album. Maybe early doors and late doors are Aldous Huxley’s Doors of Perception and Big Ron had just read it, which I haven’t?

I think it’s a Northern expression. I first heard it when I moved to Manchester in 1977, and hear it still very often in a non football context (e.g.”shall we go fora a pint early doors?). So my guess (and it’s only a guess) is that it is a Northern thing that is slowly creeping Southwards (much as I am hearing people here in Merseyside saying things are “lush” recently when, until recently, I only ever heard it in Bristol and it’s environs. 

13 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

I think it’s a Northern expression. I first heard it when I moved to Manchester in 1977, and hear it still very often in a non football context (e.g.”shall we go fora a pint early doors?). So my guess (and it’s only a guess) is that it is a Northern thing that is slowly creeping Southwards (much as I am hearing people here in Merseyside saying things are “lush” recently when, until recently, I only ever heard it in Bristol and it’s environs. 

So I guess late doors = a lock in! i like the idea of a Scouser saying “me babber” ?

7 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

“Dat’s gurt lush, dat is wack” … doesn’t bear thinking about. 

1 hour ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I agree @Davefevs.

NP needed two right backs, and has worked around that with the Simpson deal, and Vyner probably moving there.

Likewise with centre backs, we need two left footed ones. Finances being what they are, and Baker being un-able to get a another deal elsewhere; it makes sense to explore whether something can be done that will suit both parties. Moore, and Cundy being the right footed CBs.

Britton's goal against Brentford showed how we have been missing an aggressive dominant Centre Back all season; at set pieces and defensively. Maybe Rennie thinks he can/and will continue to keep Baker fit.

Finances are obviously extremely tight; and maybe if we need to give a bit more to the Atkinson/Another defender to get that over the line, then the purchase of another potentially unproven defender, is a step too far cost wise.

My only concern is the effect Baker signing will have on Kalas. That relationship has badly broken down by all accounts; and thus maybe it's all a precursor to Kalas leaving after the Euros? 

Baker apparently moved up north (they used to live close to each other) demonstrating that he obviously felt he was off back up to Brum land. Maybe things haven't panned out for him?

We always said there would be compromises this summer, and some decisions that fans will be puzzled/disappointed with.

Hasn't Baker always lived in or near Worcester all of his life and football career?

29 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

I believe that "early doors" originated from Scotland.

54 minutes ago, Richard Head said:

Can't be bothered to paraphrase it, so here's the text I stole from Google:

"Apparently some say that the phrase originated due to the practice of British Theatres from around 1870 who opened their doors to customers paying a little extra to enter the theatre early so they could choose their own seats before the main rush of customers came for the performance."

1 hour ago, RiverRed said:

Can't be bothered to paraphrase it, so here's the text I stole from Google:

"Apparently some say that the phrase originated due to the practice of British Theatres from around 1870 who opened their doors to customers paying a little extra to enter the theatre early so they could choose their own seats before the main rush of customers came for the performance."

Paying a little extra and theatre.  Nothing Scottish about that, then. 

Is this guy good ? I know the likes of Jamie Vardy that came from the 6th league or something at the same age of this Atkinson but he doesn't even have a market value on transfermarkt or a picture. Do you heard about him ? Was he playing great last season ? I mean he has no experience in Championship, seems more like a gamble for the future.

Archived