IGNORED

Robert Atkinson - Now Signed (Merged)

Bat Fastard

4 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

if we sign Atkinson then it has to be a 3 at the back kalas baker Atkinson. looks very solid. Zac i am not convinced is good enough but only my opinion. 

He prefers a four . Depending on what happens with Moore & cundy that would only leave us with three central defenders 

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

He prefers a four . Depending on what happens with Moore & cundy that would only leave us with three central defenders 

I'd imagine the plan is Kalas and Atkinson as the CB pairing with Baker and one or both of Moore and Cundy as back-up, with Vyner becoming first choice right back, with Simpson as cover. 

17 minutes ago, daored said:

I would suspect we’re giving Oxford a player as part of the deal, either perm or season loan. Which you’d imagine would be Moore or Cundy (depending on how bad injured)

NP not keen on Moore so maybe this.

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'd imagine the plan is Kalas and Atkinson as the CB pairing with Baker and one or both of Moore and Cundy as back-up, with Vyner becoming first choice right back, with Simpson as cover. 

Idk I could see being patient with Atkinson if he doesn’t seem up to it early on. Said in another post Atkinson being a smooth left footed cb means he could possibly get some minutes at LB in certain matchups to help get him some championship minutes. Baker allows us to be patient for a season with Atkinson I think if the deal goes through. 

11 hours ago, Coppello said:

Really pleased with this one. I can't say I've seen him play but picking up promising youngsters who are keen to impress is exactly the transfer strategy I'd like to see us revert back to. Interestingly he's another French speaker and had an upbringing overseas similar to Taylor Moore. 

Personal information
Full name Robert Philip Atkinson[1]
Date of birth 13 July 1998 (age 22)
Place of birth Chesterfield, England
Height 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)[2]
Position(s) Defender
Club information
Current team
Oxford United
Number 22
Youth career
  Cannes
Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2016–2017 Basingstoke Town 30 (2)
2017–2019 Fulham 0 (0)
2019  Braintree Town (loan) 15 (0)
2019–2020 Eastleigh 20 (1)
2020– Oxford United 39 (1)
2020  Eastleigh (loan) 4 (0)

* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 18:19, 29 May 2021 (UTC)

It's quite notable that he was picked up by Fulham from non-league but subsequently released in 2019 before a move to Eastleigh. 

I think what pleases me, beyond anything else, is we seem to have identified Atkinson and James as our prime targets have secured one and look good to sign the other.

I've not seen Atkinson play but it's great we seem to be getting the player we want rather than being in a position of scrambling around on compromises and alternatives. 

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I really think Pearson believes in form driving selection and all players will have to earn the shirt.  I do get he might have players he thinks are better than others but it is a squad game, and Rennie will help him understand who is fatigued, who needs a test, etc.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I really think Pearson believes in form driving selection and all players will have to earn the shirt.  I do get he might have players he thinks are better than others but it is a squad game, and Rennie will help him understand who is fatigued, who needs a test, etc.

Yes, get ready for what seems "baffling" team selections as fatigue (Red Zone etc) will be seen as important as form in some cases. The days of throwing half fit, worn out players into First teams should be over - hopefully.

9 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Agree. None of us know if cundy will be able to step up though. I’ve also worried about Moore making mistakes he doesn’t seem to learn from as well . However , it would be interesting to see if Pearson can get him to kick on . I’m normally pretty dismissive of players not being good enough & moving them on , but I really do like Taylor Moore . He’s shown a lot of character . 

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think what pleases me, beyond anything else, is we seem to have identified Atkinson and James as our prime targets have secured one and look good to sign the other.

I've not seen Atkinson play but it's great we seem to be getting the player we want rather than being in a position of scrambling around on compromises and alternatives. 

Think it might also hint at players want to play for Pearson….and Pearson / Recruitment are progressing options they are confident of getting done.

Hopefully no more Eddie Nketiah failed chases!

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

You don’t know this though do you . You’re guessing he’s not keen on him 

Correct but he has never selected him even with all of the injury problems. Fairly safe to say that NP doesn't seem him as part of his plans. I could well be wrong.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Always need 5 who can play centre back imo. So if Vyner is a right back then we need 4 other centre backs

I jokingly say you need 4 1/2!

And as you say Vyner can only cover CB if he’s not needed at RB….so you need 2 1/2 RBs ???

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

Could be Rod Hull.

Do not adjust your TV set 

If we are playing 4 at the back then we need at least 4 cb 2 rb and 2 lb

1 minute ago, joshthomson said:

This is early for the opening of the roof. Watch the media team stretch this out all day!!!

I think we wanted to tie it up last night with all the tweets going on,

But this is prob Andy King, or Michael Owen 

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

You don’t know this though do you . You’re guessing he’s not keen on him 

Course he/she is.

Only NP and his staff will know this. This is an example how opinion turns into rumour then fact for some people.

3 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Course he/she is.

Only NP and his staff will know this. This is an example how opinion turns into rumour then fact for some people.

Yep apologies, just guessing.  Didn't realise that Moore was injured from mid March until the end of the season.

Archived