IGNORED

Robert Atkinson - Now Signed (Merged)

Bat Fastard

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah he certainly has improvements to make that hopefully comes with experience, but he has all the ingredients to be a top player. Actually has a good leap on him in the air too and is obviously tall, but needs to physically develop a bit more to be a really dominant centre half.

All things that are to be expected considering his age and how he's only had 1 year playing at professional level. The player he might become in 1-3 years time I doubt we'd be able to sign now. Wouldn't surprise me if Baker and Kalas is our main partnership to start with.

Yep, good enough to play, but wouldn’t surprise me if him and Baker share more minutes than some might think, at least pre-Xmas.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It’s increasingly difficult to fact check though - you probably got that 39 figure from Atkinson’s Wiki page? Well that same page says he made his professional debut for Oxford in October 2020 - which is rubbish, he played in league games before that.

And Oxford’s wiki page for the 2020/2021 season states that Atkinson made 36 league appearances last season ... ?! There are so many and varied sources these days - however, as you say, it’s still no excuse for The Post to apparently come up with the ‘ever present’ guff - for a start, Atkinson was sent off in Oxford’s game vs Lincoln in September 2020 - so it didn’t look good for an ever present campaign at that point!

Soccerbase, which is pretty good for most European leagues.

6 hours ago, Nicki's soulmate said:

The same with Andy King, I remember when he was moved along by a cop whilst being interviewed on the touchline, Leicester Everton? in the '70's  

(Another one for the oldies) ?

6 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

I saw Andy King make his debut as a youngster for Luton Town before his transfer to Everton. A fantastic player with flare (not the Section 82 varient).

He sadly passed away a couple of years ago.

Mass of curly hair?  I remember him sat in the Grandstand  (he wasn't playing that day ) Everton( ?) gave us a tonking and he was just sat there grinning inanely at us enclosure bods, we told him to **** right off , as you do !

4 hours ago, daored said:

@Major Isewateri think we’re going to sign a striker that might surprise a few. The home kit still to be revealed and imagine it will with said player 

I'm not getting over-excited with the striker but I think the good thing, given strikers tend to be the most expensive players, is that we've got the other four players we wanted to Pearson and the club will know exactly how much budget there is. 

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Soccerbase, which is pretty good for most European leagues.

Fair play Graham - I was just making the point that even if a junior journo at The Post did a search to get his appearances figure, they would have been met with different numbers from different sources - in the good old days a gnarly old hack would have simply phoned up Oxford United and said ‘ere mate, how many games did that Atkinson play for you last season? ... Cheers” - doesn’t happen like that anymore - sometimes old fashioned and traditional is best - I certainly argue that when receiving criticism from my partner about my dress sense ??

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It’s increasingly difficult to fact check though - you probably got that 39 figure from Atkinson’s Wiki page? Well that same page says he made his professional debut for Oxford in October 2020 - which is rubbish, he played in league games before that.

And Oxford’s wiki page for the 2020/2021 season states that Atkinson made 36 league appearances last season ... ?! There are so many and varied sources these days - however, as you say, it’s still no excuse for The Post to apparently come up with the ‘ever present’ guff - for a start, Atkinson was sent off in Oxford’s game vs Lincoln in September 2020 - so it didn’t look good for an ever present campaign at that point!

Wasn't that his league debut for them ?

On 03/07/2021 at 19:39, GrahamC said:

Does anyone fact check anything these days?

I just checked Jacki Dziekanowski's numbers: £250,000; 43 appearances (in Clifton wine bar); 7 goals; one "rainbow flick" down the Open End v Ipswich.

He might've livened up last season a little (woops, ended with an opinion there, not a fact).

18 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Little tip - use Soccerbase for footie stats. I've never come across an inaccuracy regarding Premier League/EFL players.

Although it turns out @GrahamC beat me to it, if I'd actually bothered to scroll down before replying!

And some of us absolutely do factcheck, yes! ?

2 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Just seen some of his interview clips from signing for us. Man he speaks well for someone so young. 

So does Taylor Moore......  Maturity in interviews doesn't mean a thing unfortunately.  Even so....nice to know he's not a knuckle dragger!

Got good vibes about him.  Celtic's interest will show that he definitely has something. 

Welcome Rob. Young, room for growth- beat Celtic to the signing.

Was thinking about the squad today, 4 CBs- 5 if you include Vyner, not even factoring in Cundy and his future or otherwise...Kalas, Atkinson, Baker, Moore- then if necessary Vyner and Cundy where does this place him? I appreciate Vyner is mainly RB now but in event of injury crisis etc.

Probably good to have a decent number due to Baker's injuries last season, or prior to that a tendency to go off early in games, Cundy I know little about, I always had Moore down as 4th or 5th choice moving forward and that might be his position if indeed he stays. Kalas-Atkinson 1st choice, Baker first reserve and then Vyner/Moore/Cundy down the list? Given age, might need a bit of patience- a further step up, about to watch the interview now.

On 03/07/2021 at 17:58, RobArnold10 said:

Agree on the last sentence: we are moving to a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 I reckon, Nige has used that a lot in his career to great effect. 

I hope so, especially if the guy in front, ie central in the 3- a Johansen, a Crooks, a Marcondes to name 3- is one who can slot back and forward more readily as well as chipping in a few goals. Johnson at Preston another good example.

On 04/07/2021 at 13:15, exAtyeoMax said:

He does look like he's from the same era as John Atyeo. There should be a comic strip about him, like Alf Tupper  

Bet he doesn't  live on fish and chips like  Alf did though.

16 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I hope so, especially if the guy in front, ie central in the 3- a Johansen, a Crooks, a Marcondes to name 3- is one who can slot back and forward more readily as well as chipping in a few goals. Johnson at Preston another good example.

Well it won't be Marcondes unfortunately.  Signed for Bournemouth last week.

On 04/07/2021 at 13:15, exAtyeoMax said:

He does look like he's from the same era as John Atyeo. There should be a comic strip about him, like Alf Tupper  

If there was he would surely have to known as Bobby Atkinson. He`d sound like a proper old school no nonsense northern centre half from the fifties then

For such a new partnership I thought they had a good understanding. Sometimes players just click and look right together, that’s the only way I can explain it, and they did. Without going overboard as it’s early days yet, and with Bakers injury prone history, I wouldn’t be unhappy if this was our CB pairing. But where does that leave Kalas...

1 hour ago, RedM said:

For such a new partnership I thought they had a good understanding. Sometimes players just click and look right together, that’s the only way I can explain it, and they did. Without going overboard as it’s early days yet, and with Bakers injury prone history, I wouldn’t be unhappy if this was our CB pairing. But where does that leave Kalas...

Left side of a back 3

4 hours ago, RedM said:

Playing for another club?

It wouldn't be a total surprise to get an offer or two for him, given the exposure he's just had. If that happened, I think we'd consider it, given the exorbitant (for us) salary we pay him and the stated desire to reduce our overall wage bill.

I think Kalas is perfectly capable of playing top flight football in Germany, Spain, France or Italy. Not for one of the glamour clubs but certainly a mid table side - sides who will know all about him now.   

5 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Playing for another club?

It wouldn't be a total surprise to get an offer or two for him, given the exposure he's just had. If that happened, I think we'd consider it, given the exorbitant (for us) salary we pay him and the stated desire to reduce our overall wage bill.

I think Kalas is perfectly capable of playing top flight football in Germany, Spain, France or Italy. Not for one of the glamour clubs but certainly a mid table side - sides who will know all about him now.   

I think you are exactly right, my thoughts exactly. I like Kalas but also got to admit he’s in the expensive luxury category. I’m not sure if luxury players are the way we are going now. More home grown (or at least younger players)  with a sprinkling of wise experienced leaders to guide them. Kalas although Captain didn’t appear to lead. 

Archived