IGNORED

Robert Atkinson - Now Signed (Merged)

Bat Fastard

2 hours ago, richyy66 said:

Aden Flint MK2 - If he turns out as good as Flinty will be a good bit of business

If he turns out as good as Adam Webster will be a even better bit of business!

20 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Interesting comment. A back four of Vyner, Kalas, Atkinson and Baker!

Ball playing, taking no prisoners, plenty of height with two defenders and two who can go forward with the ball.

What are the odds, @redsquirrel that will happen?

to be perfectly honest,i like the look of that. ive never been asked my thoughts on this sort of thing before,  but thats probably because im normally way off the mark ?

Im excited about this, Nige said he wanted to build from the back and I think this is his top target. We now have a good back line and with James and King a good spine to the team.

Striker next please

8 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Er...........why is everyone so excited about signing defender Ron Atkinson from Oxford, jeez, I saw him play for them in 68, bit long in the tooth, ain't he ?

(one for the oldies ?)

I think you’ve just come through Big Ron’s early doors, Slarti!

14 hours ago, richyy66 said:

Aden Flint MK2 - If he turns out as good as Flinty will be a good bit of business

A potentially exciting signing for sure, given his scope for improvement. 

And yes he's tall but that's where the comparison with Flint ends - for now. 

Video clips would suggest he's better than Flint on the ball. He's more like Webster in fact - another reason to be pleased about him signing.

But we'll have to wait and see about his pace, positioning and bravery. I'm not doubting any of these, just think it's wise to wait and see how he handles a massive step up in standard. 

If he turns out to have Webster's technique and Flint's heart, we'll have signed a right good un. 

14 hours ago, richyy66 said:

:blink: 

Flinty is/was a top bloke but a very limited footballer, a throwback to the 70s ‘head it and kick it’ merchant. I really hope Atkinson is a significant upgrade on Flint.

10 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Er...........why is everyone so excited about signing defender Ron Atkinson from Oxford, jeez, I saw him play for them in 68, bit long in the tooth, ain't he ?

(one for the oldies ?)

The same with Andy King, I remember when he was moved along by a cop whilst being interviewed on the touchline, Leicester Everton? in the '70's  

(Another one for the oldies) ?

4 minutes ago, Nicki's soulmate said:

The same with Andy King, I remember when he was moved along by a cop whilst being interviewed on the touchline, Leicester Everton? in the '70's  

I saw Andy King make his debut as a youngster for Luton Town before his transfer to Everton. A fantastic player with flare (not the Section 82 varient).

He sadly passed away a couple of years ago.

47 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Something I hadn’t really thought about before but his mentioning that he will learn against top strikers in the squad is an interesting point.

44 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Little does he know …

Perhaps he knows who is coming in...

51 minutes ago, Nicki's soulmate said:

No longer with us.  Tidy 70s midfielder.

18 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Both the OS & The Post are saying Atkinson was an ever present for Oxford last season, he played 39 league games.

Does anyone fact check anything these days?

It’s increasingly difficult to fact check though - you probably got that 39 figure from Atkinson’s Wiki page? Well that same page says he made his professional debut for Oxford in October 2020 - which is rubbish, he played in league games before that.

And Oxford’s wiki page for the 2020/2021 season states that Atkinson made 36 league appearances last season ... ?! There are so many and varied sources these days - however, as you say, it’s still no excuse for The Post to apparently come up with the ‘ever present’ guff - for a start, Atkinson was sent off in Oxford’s game vs Lincoln in September 2020 - so it didn’t look good for an ever present campaign at that point!

54 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He has to be a far classier footballer than Flint…………:cool2:

The opinions of some people on Flint reminds me of views on Peter Crouch.

Looks ungainly, but actual is a player. 

Both were massively underrated in my opinion. 

If this chap can notch half the goals, win half the defensive headers, spray around half the accurate long passes Flinty did, I’d be happy. 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It’s increasingly difficult to fact check though - you probably got that 39 figure from Atkinson’s Wiki page? Well that same page says he made his professional debut for Oxford in October 2020 - which is rubbish, he played in league games before that.

And Oxford’s wiki page for the 2020/2021 season states that Atkinson made 36 league appearances last season ... ?! There are so many and varied sources these days - however, as you say, it’s still no excuse for The Post to apparently come up with the ‘ever present’ guff - for a start, Atkinson was sent off in Oxford’s game vs Lincoln in September 2020 - so it didn’t look good for an ever present campaign at that point!

image.thumb.png.105d11d9c5bd85f096e768a857fc5d14.png

From Wyscout….who count playoff matches as league matches….so 39+2 (41)

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Atkinson is nothing like Aden Flint imo.

Elliott Moore his former centre back partner at Oxford reminds me much more of Flint than Atkinson does.

Indeed.  He will take a bit of time to adjust though…even Webster did.  He is a bit more similar in style to Hörður Magnüsson, better on the ball on the face of it.  Has a good turn of pace too.  He has the right players and staff around him to develop quickly.  One thing I’ve noticed that he will need to work on is when running to his own goal, gonna have to learn to back-pedal more, as has a slightly bad habit of only being able to glance towards the ball, not at the opponent who might run off his far shoulder.

Archived