Jump to content
IGNORED

Robert Atkinson - Now Signed (Merged)


Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, Super said:

I was at college with a guy called Robert Atkinson.

I was at school with a guy called Matt Smith. He was awful at football 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Isn’t the simple answer here we need both?

In March Mawson went back to Fulham, last month we released Baker & Mariappa.

Even if Pearson sees Vyner as a CB (& personally I don’t think he does) we are light here, Kalas is our only experienced one, Moore doesn’t convince me 5 years after his debut & Cundy has potential but hasn’t ever played at this level.

I think we are after both Lees & an Atkinson type, not either of them.

Spot on.  We definitely need 2 preferably with one being left footed and able to play left of a 3 or as emergency left back.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Fair comments. It's not a necessity for leaders to be older players with someone like Geoff Merrick as a prime example. I may be in the minority of City fans but I believe we do have two strong personalities in Vyner and Moore. With a settled back four/five and a midfield in front of them that doesn't operate like a colander, who knows what can be achieved.

I'll wait for the backlash on that one but it's about building a team which is able to perform at a higher level than the individuals in it.

No backlash from me CA - your opinion on Taylor More is as valid as anyone's - certainly mine.

I'm afraid Moore is no Geoff Merrick though - Sir Geoffrey was a very tough and accomplished young man who made his City debut and held his own in this division (much tougher physically in those days) at 17.

TM famously telling LJ that at some stage that he'd like to be Captain, while well publicised, and laudable to an extent, does not in itself single him out as leadership material, particularly if his on field performances do not merit such an honour, or even a regular place in the side after 5 years at AG.

Compare with Flint who was an inspirational character on the pitch, but we were told preferred not to take the armband when offered in order to concentrate on his own game. Nevertheless he continued to lead by example every time he played.

There are some obvious problems when it comes to TM. He doesn't appear to relish enough the physicality of aerial duels, and even the aspect of his game praised by most of his admirers - his notable willingness to stride out of defence with the ball - is tarnished by him far too often then passing the ball directly to the opposition and immediately putting City under pressure, with TM then left hopelessly out of position of course.

He's obviously a very nice guy (note how often he is used as an ever smiIing 'pin-up' for the official site), and a reasonable footballer, but this is not enough. I don't expect him to have a long term career in the Championship and I'll  be surprised if he's at AG much longer. I suspect he will need to look down the leagues to establish a regular first team place and will probably end up as a solid player in L1. Who knows, with further maturity and reducing his mistakes, he may even get his wish to be a Captain at that level.

Vyner is a different proposition imo.  He's far from being a Merrick either, but I expect NP to have one position for him in mind - maybe RB - and to concentrate on developing him further to get him established there, and he'll almost certainly go on to have a good Championship career.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nicely summarised @Nogbad the Bad.

Just because a player asks to be captain, like TM did doesn’t make you captain material.  I do admire him asking, but LJ made more of it than was needed imho.

I did see him show character when partnering Ashley Williams, but not much other than that.

I don’t see Zak as a leader either, but I do like him as a footballer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No backlash from me CA - your opinion on Taylor More is as valid as anyone's - certainly mine.

I'm afraid Moore is no Geoff Merrick though - Sir Geoffrey was a very tough and accomplished young man who made his City debut and held his own in this division (much tougher physically in those days) at 17.

TM famously telling LJ that at some stage that he'd like to be Captain, while well publicised, and laudable to an extent, does not in itself single him out as leadership material, particularly if his on field performances do not merit such an honour, or even a regular place in the side after 5 years at AG.

Compare with Flint who was an inspirational character on the pitch, but we were told preferred not to take the armband when offered in order to concentrate on his own game. Nevertheless he continued to lead by example every time he played.

There are some obvious problems when it comes to TM. He doesn't appear to relish enough the physicality of aerial duels, and even the aspect of his game praised by most of his admirers - his notable willingness to stride out of defence with the ball - is tarnished by him far too often then passing the ball directly to the opposition and immediately putting City under pressure, with TM then left hopelessly out of position of course.

He's obviously a very nice guy (note how often he is used as an ever smiIing 'pin-up' for the official site), and a reasonable footballer, but this is not enough. I don't expect him to have a long term career in the Championship and I'll  be surprised if he's at AG much longer. I suspect he will need to look down the leagues to establish a regular first team place and will probably end up as a solid player in L1. Who knows, with further maturity and reducing his mistakes, he may even get his wish to be a Captain at that level.

Vyner is a different proposition imo.  He's far from being a Merrick either, but I expect NP to have one position for him in mind - maybe RB - and to concentrate on developing him further to get him established there, and he'll almost certainly go on to have a good Championship career.

The reference to Geoff Merrick was really in reference to Atkinson who has only had one year in League One. He may be the "Bees Knees" but I know nothing about him. Clearly reckoned to be a ball playing left centre back but is he a leader type?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

The reference to Geoff Merrick was really in reference to Atkinson who has only had one year in League One. He may be the "Bees Knees" but I know nothing about him. Clearly reckoned to be a ball playing left centre back but is he a leader type?

I don't know, but I suspect he will have to be for NP to be interested in him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No backlash from me CA - your opinion on Taylor More is as valid as anyone's - certainly mine.

I'm afraid Moore is no Geoff Merrick though - Sir Geoffrey was a very tough and accomplished young man who made his City debut and held his own in this division (much tougher physically in those days) at 17.

TM famously telling LJ that at some stage that he'd like to be Captain, while well publicised, and laudable to an extent, does not in itself single him out as leadership material, particularly if his on field performances do not merit such an honour, or even a regular place in the side after 5 years at AG.

Compare with Flint who was an inspirational character on the pitch, but we were told preferred not to take the armband when offered in order to concentrate on his own game. Nevertheless he continued to lead by example every time he played.

There are some obvious problems when it comes to TM. He doesn't appear to relish enough the physicality of aerial duels, and even the aspect of his game praised by most of his admirers - his notable willingness to stride out of defence with the ball - is tarnished by him far too often then passing the ball directly to the opposition and immediately putting City under pressure, with TM then left hopelessly out of position of course.

He's obviously a very nice guy (note how often he is used as an ever smiIing 'pin-up' for the official site), and a reasonable footballer, but this is not enough. I don't expect him to have a long term career in the Championship and I'll  be surprised if he's at AG much longer. I suspect he will need to look down the leagues to establish a regular first team place and will probably end up as a solid player in L1. Who knows, with further maturity and reducing his mistakes, he may even get his wish to be a Captain at that level.

Vyner is a different proposition imo.  He's far from being a Merrick either, but I expect NP to have one position for him in mind - maybe RB - and to concentrate on developing him further to get him established there, and he'll almost certainly go on to have a good Championship career.

Agree 100% with every word.

I’d just add that Moore also struggles against clever movement from a forward, often losing position against one, as Norwich & Watford in particular exploited.

I think he is battling Cundy for 4th choice at CB myself & if Cundy does well in the pre season games & we are able to secure the 2 we need then he’ll move on sooner rather than later.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To clarify, I have no particular opinion about Taylor Moore. The last twelve months has not shown 98% of the squad in a good light at all.

I, like most of us, am trying to work out what NP is thinking about those within contract that he is left with. The departure of anyone, including Bentley and Kallas, wouldn't surprise me. I have very few that I would want to keep anyway. That is excluding the Academy lads who worked so hard when selected.

Because funds for recruiting are not plentiful, NP may be forced to keep some that he doesn't want. He will need to work hard with several of the retainees for them to be seen in a positive light by him.

An interesting seven or eight weeks to come.

Edited by cidered abroad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Agree 100% with every word.

I’d just add that Moore also struggles against clever movement from a forward, often losing position against one, as Norwich & Watford in particular exploited.

I think he is battling Cundy for 4th choice at CB myself & if Cundy does well in the pre season games & we are able to secure the 2 we need then he’ll move on sooner rather than later.

It is unfortunate, as TM presents as a fine, thoroughly decent and upstanding young man; qualities that, in many walks of life, would indeed make him a leader of men.

Regrettably, football is a special case where such admirable qualities are not necessarily recognised or, if they are, fail to be appreciated by young men who seek other, more ‘earthy’ traits in their captain.

Re. TM’s shortcomings as a player against nimble, canny forwards, he has been embarrassed twice against Middlesbrough alone; the pass he received from DB when he appeared to be looking the other way and the long ball when he was marking Assambola (spelling).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

if Rob Atkinson is the man nige wants then pay the fee and get it done. 

That depends on the player too. He may be waiting to see what other clubs might be prepared to meet the price for instance.

Unfortunately transfers involve multiple parties so you can't just snap your fingers and it's done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

That depends on the player too. He may be waiting to see what other clubs might be prepared to meet the price for instance.

Unfortunately transfers involve multiple parties so you can't just snap your fingers and it's done.

100%, plus with the financial impact of Covid, if we really are paying £1.6m for him that is all our budget for fees gone, I think.

Unless of course we can sell someone, which at present seems unlikely.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

100%, plus with the financial impact of Covid, if we really are paying £1.6m for him that is all our budget for fees gone, I think.

Unless of course we can sell someone, which at present seems unlikely.

I think Nige will have a bit more money than £1.6m to spend (if these rumours are true) as think it unlikely that we will get the type of striker he wants on a free. If it’s Smith, expect us to pay up to £1m for him perhaps? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it’s £1.6m that seems a very sensible fee.  Missing out on promo will’ve cost Oxford the chance of keeping him or selling him at a much higher fee, probably £3m (guesswork).  The opposite has happened with Yates, where they are now putting people off with £5m or go away.

@Loosey Boy agree there’s a little bit left….much of fee available will be determined by wages of players.

Atkinson £1.6m over 4 years, say £6k p.w. Is ok, £700k p.a. cost for hopefully a rising asset.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The report also suggests that he would be our ‘marque signing this summer’ which, if true, suggests any new forwards will be underwhelming names. Which I don’t have any problem with provided they do the business and score goals.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forgot to add that bearing in mind Atkinson’s partner is Elliott Moore, former Leicester (from age eight) and Leuvens loanee under Pearson, I’m encouraged that he sees Atkinson as a CB option.  Would be all too easy to go for Moore….unless it’s a double swoop!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Be very happy if we got this one over the line. I am sure we have some wiggle room for a fee here and there. Wages will be less than half Baker I imagine. If you look at as his replacement likely his fee and wages towards ffp will be less than just Baker’s wages. 
 

I’d be a bit skeptical of the pairing of Atkinson and Kalas though. While tall not sure I have seen dominant in the clips I have seen of him. Maybe I haven’t seen the right clips so tell me if I am wrong! We were bullied often last season and while Kalas is a fighter he isn’t ever going to dominate a 6’3 unit of a striker for 90 min. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Be very happy if we got this one over the line. I am sure we have some wiggle room for a fee here and there. Wages will be less than half Baker I imagine. If you look at as his replacement likely his fee and wages towards ffp will be less than just Baker’s wages. 
 

I’d be a bit skeptical of the pairing of Atkinson and Kalas though. While tall not sure I have seen dominant in the clips I have seen of him. Maybe I haven’t seen the right clips so tell me if I am wrong! We were bullied often last season and while Kalas is a fighter he isn’t ever going to dominate a 6’3 unit of a striker for 90 min. 

Can see your point. From what I’ve watched of Atkinson he actually looks to break the lines and play out from the back which is what we’ve missed ever since Webster left. 
 

I think in regards of you saying we were bullied. Having Williams and James as holding midfielders will add abit of steel which hopefully means teams won’t get so many shooting opportunities or easy openings which happened so often last season.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Forgot to add that bearing in mind Atkinson’s partner is Elliott Moore, former Leicester (from age eight) and Leuvens loanee under Pearson, I’m encouraged that he sees Atkinson as a CB option.  Would be all too easy to go for Moore….unless it’s a double swoop!

Pearson did mention TWO centre backs.

Although it's highly unlikely that Oxford would be willing to part ways with both of their starting centre backs. 

I expect the second centre back to be an 'experienced' sort. Likely to be a free agent released from Prem or championship. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Be very happy if we got this one over the line. I am sure we have some wiggle room for a fee here and there. Wages will be less than half Baker I imagine. If you look at as his replacement likely his fee and wages towards ffp will be less than just Baker’s wages. 
 

I’d be a bit skeptical of the pairing of Atkinson and Kalas though. While tall not sure I have seen dominant in the clips I have seen of him. Maybe I haven’t seen the right clips so tell me if I am wrong! We were bullied often last season and while Kalas is a fighter he isn’t ever going to dominate a 6’3 unit of a striker for 90 min. 

Atkinson is in a similar mould to Webster.

Who Kalas played his best football alongside. 

I could see us setting up in a back 3, with:

Kalas - Atkinson - plus one

Atkinson likes to dribble forward with the ball into a midfield position, which would allow Kalas + one other, to form a duo, whilst wing backs drop back to form a back 4. Then when Atkinson drops back, we revert to a back 3, and wing backs push forward. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although finding £1.6m may tight in COVID times, I feel it’s manageable. Twelve players have left and NP is only planning on bringing in five, so there is a big wage bill saving. Also there still may be one or two outgoings that bring in a fee. Nagy didn’t seem to be in NP’s plans; Bentley if a big offer comes in; possibly Moore 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can see Palmer being shipped out. Find it odd he’s still on holiday when he should surely be back doing fitness tests with everyone else. He only played one game for Jamaica and that was a few weeks ago 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Can see Palmer being shipped out. Find it odd he’s still on holiday when he should surely be back doing fitness tests with everyone else. He only played one game for Jamaica and that was a few weeks ago 

I can only guess that having been selected as part of the 30 man squad for their friendlies (that finished on 12th June) that he’s now getting a break.  Pretty sure he travelled.  The fact he didn’t get any game time is unknown, plus they start CONCACAF matches on 12th July, so if selected he won’t be about much for us anyway.  One to wait for official news imho.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Can see Palmer being shipped out. Find it odd he’s still on holiday when he should surely be back doing fitness tests with everyone else. He only played one game for Jamaica and that was a few weeks ago 

I thought the same.

He would be in the bracket of players whose fitness I would question. In terms of technical ability, he's very good. I feel it's his fitness that lets him down.

If you were to compare Palmer and Paterson as players, you always felt that Pato would put in a shift and work hard for the team. It's very rare to see Palmer charging around the pitch. 

In my opinion, Palmer, Moore and Nagy could be moved on to bring in additional funds. 

We could replace all, and lower the wage budget at the same time:

Palmer (out) - Matt Crooks (in) or Taylor Richards (in - Loan)

Moore (out) - Experienced free agent (in), Cundy (Moore replacement)

Nagy (out) - James (in) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I thought the same.

He would be in the bracket of players whose fitness I would question. In terms of technical ability, he's very good. I feel it's his fitness that lets him down.

If you were to compare Palmer and Paterson as players, you always felt that Pato would put in a shift and work hard for the team. It's very rare to see Palmer charging around the pitch. 

In my opinion, Palmer, Moore and Nagy could be moved on to bring in additional funds. 

We could replace all, and lower the wage budget at the same time:

Palmer (out) - Matt Crooks (in) or Taylor Richards (in - Loan)

Moore (out) - Experienced free agent (in), Cundy (Moore replacement)

Nagy (out) - James (in) 

I disagree….I’d say it’s exactly what you do see….but poorly executed - ultimately knackering himself in the process.

  • Like 1
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to Robert Atkinson - Now Signed (Merged)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...